Where is "star wars"? really?

Kaladorei

I have a real problem that they can even call this game star wars...what i ask is everyone here to log on for 10 minutes ignore the lightsabers and literally work out what is star warsy about this game. there is no sense of adventure, nothing remotely star warsy i see nothing...literally....

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

So what is "Star Wars" to you? What would it actually need for it to be "Star Wars?"

no, i just mean the mounts are more like stuff from 5th element, the combat reminds me more of a mixture of other movies, i mean the names of skills do not make this game star wars nor do the classes called "jedi" etc.

The lack of relation to anything star wars is unreal and youve obviously just been looking at ur lightsaber s long its afffected your brain and made you believe what your playing is in fact star wars, when the game represents nearly every other SCi Fi movie i can think of bette rthan star wars...

Force - check

Light side/dark side - check

Droids - check

Star destroyers - check

Sith - check

Bounty hunters - check

Blasters - check

Wookies - check

Hutts - check

I've gotten bored of saying check, but you get my drift. What the heck were you looking for?

Force - check

Droids - check

Star destroyers - check

Sith - check

Bounty hunters - check

Blasters - check

Wookies - check

Hutts - check

I've gotten bored of saying check, but you get my drift. What the heck were you looking for?

i guess..the skin isnt what gets me, its the lack of relation to star wars in terms of feel...dead worlds with nothing on them for one, a bunch of irrelevant tanks during leveling...the raid content has no correlation to star wars whatsoever, the pvp is crap, ilum is...?

no, i just mean the mounts are more like stuff from 5th element, the combat reminds me more of a mixture of other movies, i mean the names of skills do not make this game star wars nor do the classes called "jedi" etc.

The lack of relation to anything star wars is unreal and youve obviously just been looking at ur lightsaber s long its afffected your brain and made you believe what your playing is in fact star wars, when the game represents nearly every other SCi Fi movie i can think of bette rthan star wars...

I don't know... I saw The Fifth Element, and I at no point did I get such a vibe in this game. In fact, I got a massive deja vu reaction once which made me realize that it was indeed a successor to KOTOR which is, correct me if I'm wrong, "Star Wars."

i guess..the skin isnt what gets me, its the lack of relation to star wars in terms of feel...dead worlds with nothing on them for one, a bunch of irrelevant tanks during leveling...the raid content has no correlation to star wars whatsoever, the pvp is crap, ilum is...?

So in fact your complaint is with game play not the fact it's not star wars...

Force - check

Droids - check

Star destroyers - check

Sith - check

Bounty hunters - check

Blasters - check

Wookies - check

Hutts - check

Yes, it has all those things but something is missing , it doesn't 'feel' like Star Wars. Even SWG captured that feeling better for me, especially on planets like Tatooine.

Yes, it has all those things but something is missing , it doesn't 'feel' like Star Wars. Even SWG captured that feeling better for me, especially on planets like Tatooine.

this, i cant get my finger on it, something is lacking...imagine it without the skin, you should feel something star warsy...but you dontor atleast i dont...

How on earth do you feel that Tatooine doesn't look/feel like Tatooine in the films? They copied everything.

How on earth do you feel that Tatooine doesn't look/feel like Tatooine in the films? They copied everything.

Er maybe because it feels lifeless. When you see the cities in the films there is a hive of activity. The deserts of Tatooine should feel fairly lifeless but not the city streets too. Also, the fact that most of what you see is background scenery doesn't help.

I have a real problem that they can even call this game star wars...what i ask is everyone here to log on for 10 minutes ignore the lightsabers and literally work out what is star warsy about this game. there is no sense of adventure, nothing remotely star warsy i see nothing...literally....

I agree the linear design of this game does impede on a sense of adventure Kaladorei.

Space exploration would be a really cool addition to this game, and I hope they are working on adding it. I've heard they were.

Er maybe because it feels lifeless. When you see the cities in the films there is a hive of activity. The deserts of Tatooine should feel fairly lifeless but not the city streets too. Also, the fact that most of what you see is background scenery doesn't help.

There aren't enough people wandering around aimlessly in cities, eating up my frame rates, making the game laggy.

Yes, that means it doesn't feel like starwars...

I all fairness, this game takes place what almost 3000 years before Tatooine of the movies. In that time it would most likely become more populated in the cities.

To me this game feels very Star Wars.

I agree the linear design of this game does impede on a sense of adventure Kaladorei.

Space exploration would be a really cool addition to this game, and I hope they are working on adding it. I've heard they were.

yup, i feel as if when i log in i should feel immersed in a star wars world...when what we actually get is static world, you could be back 20 years ago on pac man and find it more adventurous...i have a real issue with the fact it does not feel star warsy atall. i could be playing any "MMO" if you can call this game 1...just a rehashed star wars skin does not make this game star wars...

this, i cant get my finger on it, something is lacking...imagine it without the skin, you should feel something star warsy...but you dontor atleast i dont...

The problem isn't the game, or that it isn't "star warsy enough" for you, it's that you and others have an idea of what you think makes Star Wars Star Wars, and expect everyone else to have the same expectations including the developers of the game. When this happens, expect to be disappointed because not everyone shares the same vision of what makes Star Wars Star Wars. Just look at what George Lucas thinks Star Wars is, and what the fan base of Star Wars thinks it is.

Edited by terminova

There aren't enough people wandering around aimlessly in cities, eating up my frame rates, making the game laggy.

Yes, that means it doesn't feel like starwars...

Great excuse for lack of any immersion to the game. Oh we can't have busy cities beacuse someone's PC can't cope. Better not add day/night or weather or any slightest hint of a living world, we don't want to ruin someones framerate.

So you changed it from beeing lack of star wars to a complaint about gameplay.

Tell you what, when you make up your mind come back. That would be great.

Well imho there are 2 SWs feels. Orignal (Darker, more grimy, more course...) or Prequel, which is brighter, more lively, cleaner and whole.

If you want the first, well you get that from certain worlds, classes and stories. BH, smugglers, IAs etc...

The JKs, Troopers, Sith are more galactic in scale and importance in terms of story, they seem more Prequel, but there is death, failure, and struggle.

If you want Mos Eisly Cantina at all times I don't know that to tell you, you get some, but not always...:rolleyes:

yup, i feel as if when i log in i should feel immersed in a star wars world...when what we actually get is static world, you could be back 20 years ago on pac man and find it more adventurous...i have a real issue with the fact it does not feel star warsy atall. i could be playing any "MMO" if you can call this game 1...just a rehashed star wars skin does not make this game star wars...

So a game with all the starwars 'skin' and background and important elements feels less like starwars than another random mmo if that mmo had non static worlds?

Seriously read what you are asking for, it's utterly contradictory!

Great excuse for lack of any immersion to the game. Oh we can't have busy cities beacuse someone's PC can't cope. Better not add day/night or weather or any slightest hint of a living world, we don't want to ruin someones framerate.

It's not about 'someones' pc, it's the servers that wouldn't be able to handle it. Just read up on the ridiculous engine they use and how it handles people on screen. Add in 40-50 npcs in all areas of cities and more than 5 people in an instance would blow up the server (exaggeration obviously).

There are some elements missing that would definitely give a more star wars feel.

For one I think having a hover vehicle equivalent to other game's flying mounts would have helped a ton. Instead of having to go on a static path with speeders, being able to travel freely around/over terrain with our own vehicles would have really helped immersion.

Instead of just catching the same glimpse of buildings on Dromund Kaas, Nar Shadda, Coruscant or Corellia on every flight it would be cool to fly around different buildings, catch a different point of view, maybe have a building or two where you could see business as usual going on through the windows of the skyscrapers.

On planets like Alderaan it would be awesome to be able to have atmospheric flight between the hills and mountain ranges all the way up to an orbiting Star Destroyer or Republic battle cruiser instead of generic orbital stations and docks.

Bounty Hunters perhaps having their own bounty hunting system tied into some type of open world pvp area would be another huge thing.

Faction defects or having some type of structured 'factionless' option would also be pretty cool , as betrayal and interstellar politics are a pretty big theme in the Star Wars universe. There are touches of this in the game in one of the class storylines (won't spoil it for anyone), but suffice it to say you don't really get much choice in how all of that plays out.

Edited by Mrbippo

Thousands of force-users running around makes TOR not feel Star Warsy. Being a force-user was supposed to be a very rare thing that turned the force-wielder into a virtual demigod. SWG had the right idea with building an MMO where no one was a force user, but then they gave in to all the people who just had to live out their glowstick fantasy, and it was all downhill after that.

TOR has managed to make being force sensitive mundane. Then, to compound the mandanity of it all, there's not even a particular advantage to it compared to being tech-savvy. So through these two things Bioware has turned being a force-user into a gamey MMO class and little more.

Edited by Mannic