Quarterly Producer Letter for Q2 2024 ×

Anyone else feel like CE was a rip-off

Kaoci

Here is why i bought the CE one i had never ever bought a CE and the MMORPG that i first Fell in love with was SWG but i hadnt got into that until like 2005 so i had missed the CE stuff and so on but when i played Age of Conan the CE was an Extra £40 and gave you a Unique Combat Mount ranging from either a Rhino or Mammoth and had pretty cool stuff.

I bought the Star Wars The Old Republic one because of 3 reasons.

1. I love Star Wars and wanted to donate all I could to bioware to keep this game going well.

2. I would like to Collect alot of TORs CE for future Statues.

3. I also wanted to have the feeling that there would be a really unique thing that came with the eddition that no one else had and would ever get unless they payed for it. For Example when you saw a wow player with the CE's Companion it looked Unique and did things a normal companion did for example one of them sat and had a really cool animation and as soon as you saw this companion you knew they collected the CE.

Reason why i am upset TOR's CE was more expensive than any other CE i have ever seen. There is no real kind of Unique Looking gadget in the game to show hey ur CE for example the Mouse Droid is tiny and there is another one that drops from a raid that looks same as it but in dif colours. Also the CE AND VIP VENDORS suck big time.

• Replies 183
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I feel like this whole game was a waste of money.

This^^

Firstly BW make all sorts of announcements concerning casual/solo friendly which the game is until 50. After that there is no content for a solo player apart from WZ & terribad space combat, would have been better off buying Skyrim

This^^

Firstly BW make all sorts of announcements concerning casual/solo friendly which the game is until 50. After that there is no content for a solo player apart from WZ & terribad space combat, would have been better off buying Skyrim

I see where your coming from but thing is why play an mmorpg to play solo?

Also why is there people saying TOR is a rip off when it has nothing to do with the topic?

I see where your coming from but thing is why play an mmorpg to play solo?

Single player games dont give you the opportunity to chat with other people, group when you have the time or feel like it, or the ability to participate in WZ. Also there is no auction house (GTN). MMO's are great but whether you play solo, grouped, or both is irrelevant as it's the other aspects of an MMO that you cant get in a single player game.

Hope that helps to answer your question

I regret having bought the digital collectors edition. The only thing out of it that I have used is the speeder and that itself only costs 8k credits (I think) in game anyways. It would have been nice if it had covered the cost of the riding skill but oh well.

Single player games dont give you the opportunity to chat with other people, group when you have the time or feel like it, or the ability to participate in WZ. Also there is no auction house (GTN). MMO's are great but whether you play solo, grouped, or both is irrelevant as it's the other aspects of an MMO that you cant get in a single player game.

Hope that helps to answer your question

Ahh i actually like the idea you got there i remember when i play games such KOTOR where you would like to see some player communicatons thanks for answer. Btw quick question do you find huttball really boring also.

Well ye the statue was good but for that price i thought it could have been bigger for example gears of war 3 £100 CE gave a statue double the size of malgus

The statue alone would sell for close to the price of the CE at most comic shops or any other place that sells things like that. The comic shop I go to has a ton of similar collectible statues that are usually at least 100 bucks. So value wise I think we got a great deal. I think some people are just not happy with the in game items. I think the in game stuff is fine. not having to pay for a speeder at rank 1 is a nice thing to have for all my characters.

The statue alone would sell for close to the price of the CE at most comic shops or any other place that sells things like that. The comic shop I go to has a ton of similar collectible statues that are usually at least 100 bucks. So value wise I think we got a great deal. I think some people are just not happy with the in game items. I think the in game stuff is fine. not having to pay for a speeder at rank 1 is a nice thing to have for all my characters.

See in Scotland well edinburgh anyway i havent seen any comic shops and tbh i dont want to sell the statue.

YES IT WAS A RIPOFF AND THE FACT THAT THE GAME HAS SO MANY GLITCHES IS NOT EVEN FUNNY.... **** LAZY DEVS AND GREEDY **** CEO'S YOU CAN ALL GO TO HELL... :mad:

well consider this play tor one day then go play TERA online in there CBT which is btw 2 months or somthing away from release its released in may the Servers all getting Lag Spikes and DCING people out of the game and its WORSE than how AOC lag spikes were.

EQ2 had the best CE still imo. Metal Tin case, art book, cloth map of the game, some gold coin in a velvet case, dvd with clips, sound track cd, several posters, and a bunch of in game house items (paintings which were basically screenshots from EQ1) couple unique house pets that couldnt be gotten anywhere, run speed boots, talking statue with heather graham or christopher lees voice, ect. That was 2004 and we still get nothing even 1/4 of that.

I don't regret buying two of them. Finally in a place in my life where I can spend that money and not worry about it. My Malgus statue is awesome, the book is a neat piece of lore that I enjoy as well. The in game items were just as described, if a little badly planned.

Charging 149.99 for it was a bit steep and I'm glad that other games have not done this. TERA's ce will be like 70 bucks or something, and I think it has useful stuff. Still, not bad.

My wife and I mailed one whole ce box after we used the key to a friend who LOVES Star wars collectables, he was blown away by everything inside and the box itself. So, happiness transfer complete!

The reason why i ask is because well lets put this way the speeder bike only lasts till 25.

Really? And how did you come up with the math to support that fallacy, Professor? You can't even use it until 25, so by your statement above, it's good for exactly one level in the game?

CE Vendor was Stated to be something that would change on occasion. Just because it hasn't yet doesn't mean it wont.

The Mouse Droid was always billed as being similar to the one you could acquire in the game, but with a different look. If you'd read anything about the CE, you'd have known that.

The holocam is fairly useless, especially given the other ways to acquire screenshots (I use FRAPS myself, as do many others) but I admit I've never used it.

The holodancer duration is indeed ridiculously short.

The training droid I would have liked to see be interactive, much like the one Luke used on the Falcon.

As far as the 'value' goes, that's really something that can only be decided on a personal level. Some people think the additional physical items weren't worth the extra, other people think they were.

The statue alone is what sold it for quite a few, based on conversations here before game launch.Those people obviously thought it was worth it.

I agree with you on some points, but overall, the only person that can really decide if it was 'worth it' is you.

hahaha, collector and pre-order editions are ALWAYS rip-off, and always will be... they just cant provide anything of value later in game, or they would disencourage future customers to hop into the game, being inferior.

When i was writing that before release, people were laughing at me and saying im jelous. :D

CE's are ALWAYS rip offs unless you want a graphix tin, or little figurine, or paper map, or commemorative poker chip, etc.

This is what I think too.

Collectors Editions were always targeted at fans, people who'd willingly pay extra for even the most useless fluff items imaginable.

They were never rely meant to be for anyone else but the most hardcore fans. That they've caught on so much, especially in the MMO world, is just another reason for MMO developers to make more money.

But everyone should understand that CE are never good "value for money".

This is what I think too.

Collectors Editions were always targeted at fans, people who'd willingly pay extra for even the most useless fluff items imaginable.

They were never rely meant to be for anyone else but the most hardcore fans. That they've caught on so much, especially in the MMO world, is just another reason for MMO developers to make more money.

But everyone should understand that CE are never good "value for money".

Couldn't agree more

I've only bought one CE edition, that was Morrowind, the extra stuff was nice for a while (a few days), but at the end it didn't change my gaming experience.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.