Dual spec - pure DPS - you chose poorly!

CptKloss

We usually have someone respeccing every-time we do OPs already. Pure DPS class mostly means they are the ones that are going to be able to stay DPS (which often times is what they want) while my *** is going to be stuck switching to heals.

Also they have been saying since launch they plan on adding Dual-Spec so it shouldn't be a surprise.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We usually have someone respeccing every-time we do OPs already. Pure DPS class mostly means they are the ones that are going to be able to stay DPS (which often times is what they want) while my *** is going to be stuck switching to heals.

Also they have been saying since launch they plan on adding Dual-Spec so it shouldn't be a surprise.

Yes its expensive having to respec for raids. Our guild has an overabundance of healers for raiding so I have to respec dps every time and then back to heals for PvP and HM FP's. I cant w8 for dual spec.

A dps only spec knew it was a dps only spec when it was chosen. If you wanted to heal or tank you would have taken another class.

Not sure if op is serious or trolling TBH.

No. They did NOT know this game was going to be a dual spec game and allow them to change between roles on the fly. This game currently frowns upon dual speccing. That is why the vendor price increases each time you respec at the moment. That is why there is NO dual spec option in the game at the moment.

When you are supposed to only play one role, many go with the main role they would like to keep at most times. It is this way in every single spec game. once this game changes it to dual spec, they MUST make changes so all can use the dual spec for what it is intended. Changing combat roles dependent on the group structure and needs.

What are you even babbling about? You could respec at any time for a cost that resets weekly. Dual Spec is practically in the game already with the ease of making credits. If you honestly think most people pick one spec and stick with it all the way to 50 and keep it...well, I don't think there's anything I can possibly say to that level of delusion.

They are just going to have to change the 'Single spec classes' is all. You chose marauder in a single spec game. They are changing it to a dual spec game. So of course they will have to retro design to acomodate the players that went by the original rules and chose accordingly with the current parameters.

I am personally hoping they do not make the DPS only classes the best at DPS and instead add either a healing or tanking tree for compensation. That way we can utilize the dual spec like all the rest without having to re-roll like they did not want to re-roll.

Hell no. Marauders should be DPS only, and should never be able to Heal, or Tank. They'll keep them as dps, and just give them a second dps spec. :eek:

Yes its expensive having to respec for raids. Our guild has an overabundance of healers for raiding so I have to respec dps every time and then back to heals for PvP and HM FP's. I cant w8 for dual spec.

A dps only spec knew it was a dps only spec when it was chosen. If you wanted to heal or tank you would have taken another class.

Not sure if op is serious or trolling TBH.

yeah...I'm not really sure why they don't just set the respec price to zero for the time being if they are planning on adding dual-spec. Doesn't sound like it would be that hard.

I laugh at the marauder that wants a tank or healing tree. it's not going to happen btw. wow has pure dps classes that cannot hybrid and even they dont complain that a dual spec exists do you know why? because the best pvp spec is NOT the best pve spec, the fact that you can do both means you are not optimized for either or only one. for instance, rage is terrible in pve, yet it still is very useful for pvp, you could always have a rage spec to go with your carnage or annihilation spec. and i doubly laugh at the noobs that dont play carnage because they cant see how much damage they are doing.

just so you know, i have a lvl 50 marauder, so dont yell at me like i dont know what im talking about cause i do. and i perfer carnage over the other 2 trees since it is amazing in both pvp and pve even if you cant tell how much damage you are doing.

p.s. my sorc has 4 diff specs i routinely spec into, the only oen that works in both pvp and pve is the healing spec cause pve is easymode and the pvp healing spec works perfectly in pve, but pvp dps vs pve dps are totally diff specs, the only one where the points dont change is the 28madness 13lightning spec, but i'm still unconvinced if that is top dog for pve dps even tho it is amazing for pvp.

In a DPS only class the same spec is used for pve AND pvp. DPS is DPS in either realm of play. There is no benefit with the up coming dual spec changes for these classes. So something MUST be done.

HUH...WHAT? DPS isn't just DPS. Hell, on my merc I could easily have a separate Arsenal PvE DPS spec and a PvP based Arsenal spec. You don't take the same exact points for PvE as you would for PvP. You don't need to take most of the survivability talents for PvE.

If you're wondering though, a good majority DPS only AC's that I know are looking forward to dual spec, JUST for this reason.

Edited by Swaggz

I'm pretty sure the OP has no idea what he's talking about ... or is just stirring up trouble. Be happy you're getting dual-specs, if it were up to me you wouldn't be. Complaining that you chose a DPS-only AC when you could change specs a few times a week for almost nothing is unfair when dual-specs come in is like... claiming ... screw it, I'm having trouble of thinking of something that dumb.

They are just going to have to change the 'Single spec classes' is all. You chose marauder in a single spec game. They are changing it to a dual spec game. So of course they will have to retro design to acomodate the players that went by the original rules and chose accordingly with the current parameters.

Nothing needs to be changed. Marauders and Snipers get to use their dual spec for a second style of DPS, or a PvP spec. There's no disadvantage.

In a DPS only class the same spec is used for pve AND pvp. DPS is DPS in either realm of play. There is no benefit with the up coming dual spec changes for these classes. So something MUST be done.

You have no idea what you're doing then.

No. They did NOT know this game was going to be a dual spec game and allow them to change between roles on the fly.

Untrue. Dual speccing was announced as a post-launch feature back before release.

Edited by Caelrie

Dual spec benefits everyone. I would argue it benefits pure DPS classes MORE than it benefits healer and tank ACs. After all, DPS-only ACs can choose between a PvE and a PvP spec whereas tank and healer ACs either do the same if they are set with their specified role or have one tank/healer spec and one DPS spec and often both will be PvE or PvP specs.

The point of dual spec is to more easily swap between no more than two different builds. Tank and healer ACs have more options and end up not saving as much currency because they need something more akin to a tri- or quad-spec whereas pure DPS are pretty much set.

Just no.

A PvP dps spec involves tools which would be more or less useless in a PvE environment. If you are one of those who care about your result and try to maximize your potential (like me) then you would separate the two.

I do not feel screwed. I chose marauder as a dps class, nothing more. I can now have two different damage specs for different uses. I am perfectly happy.

No reason for an AC change if they just change the classes to fit a dual spec game.

I just read all your comments and I have to say that you need to get things straight. You chose a damage dealing class. Not a tank, nor a healer. If you wanted the option to be something else than a damage dealer you should have gone for something else. Your reasoning is flawed beyond reason.

You can argue all you want. It benefits dps as much as any other.

Edited by Mystcard

you knew when you picked marauder that it was going to be a dps-only class regardless of spec. i knew when i picked guardian that it was going to have two roles, and i fully intended (dual spec or not) to switch specs every so often to play both roles, much like i did on WoW before the advent of dual spec there.

From what I understand of the Sniper/Gunslinger and Marauder/Sentinel classes:

Snipers can specialize between single target and AoE damage.

Marauders can specialize between DoT and burst damage.

These different roles have their own place depending upon the fight. It would be convenient for these classes to switch their spec pending upon the fight. Hell, if we're only talking about PvE for a moment, I'd argue that dual spec is better for the DPS-only classes than the hybrid classes as typically a healer/DPS/tank will stay the same role throughout the entire raid, but switching the DPS specialization in the middle of a raid could be an awesome ability to have.

Wrong.

Dps is not what makes or breaks you in pvp, burst (and of course utility) is. In PVE you want to apply the highest possible amount of damage on a very long timeframe while maintaining maximum resource efficiency, in pvp you want to burst somebody down and then switch to the next guy. So, for example 18 second dots are perfectly fine in pve because you know they'll tick the full time and its just one gcd spent on your time. In pvp, those same dots are rather mediocre, they get ok if you can stack them but that will make you vulnerable to dispells.

I acknowledge bioware failed to make this distinction for some of the advanced classes in the game, but conceptually this is what pvp and pve dps means.

This may help some players of DPS classes who prefer different builds for different situations (one for PvP, another one for PvE flashpoints/operations, and even another one for solo PvE play). For people who have adapted their build/playstyle to the current system, it won't change much.

The feature will have an indirect effect on pure DPS classes since if (all things being equal) a healer/DPS class has the option to dual spec to fill either role when needed, they will have an advantage getting spots in groups.

so you chose Marauder for example... with an advent of (i'm assuming) easy dual speccing - do you feel you got screwed?

honestly if you feel any way at all its your own fault.

you could always go to a trainer and respec, and you still chose a single role class.

dual spec doesnt change that.

so you chose Marauder for example... with an advent of (i'm assuming) easy dual speccing - do you feel you got screwed?

No, I'd feel better than a multi-role class, because they'd likely to need to have two PvE specs for their guild (assuming it's a dedicated progress guild).

I'll just run a PvP and a PvE spec and feel awesome about myself.

If they do allow Duel Spec. SW and JK are going to have the biggest headache ever. I dont know how Duel speccing is done. But the fact that I have more abilities and effct to keep track of is going to kill me

There is not "IF" but when. As of now it looks like 1.2 or just after. If it's like anyother game, you'll be able to have 2 preset specs that you can switch back and forth from, which SHOULD also include the hotbindings that you already have set up for each.

They're going to need to compensate the pure DPS ACs in some way. I fully expected healer and DPS gear to be different. Currently you just need to respec heals on most DPS/Heal ACs since they basically use the same stats. There's no "spirit" or healer stat in this game so DPS/Heal ACs get to do both without even having to gear for it. It's unfair to say the least.

WoW's dual spec didn't screw pure DPS as hard because people needed to have a different set for healing.

Edited by Tumri