Quarterly Producer Letter for Q2 2024 ×

What Defines A "Casual" Player To You?

GalacticKegger

Imagine two sliders.

One slider measures how important the game is to you. On one end of that slider is the most hardcore player in the universe. The game is more important to them than the lives of every person they've ever loved.... combined.

On the other end of the "important" slider is the most casual player in the universe. That person hits play, then notices that there's a single piece of lint on the edge of their desk, so they log back out, because taking care of that lint is far more important than some silly game.

The other slider is time played. On one end of this slider is that same Hardcore player, who has somehow managed to play this game for 26 hours a day. They actually developed a time machine that - once a day - will push them back 2 hours in time. They use this time to get in a couple more hours of gameplay. This person hasn't slept since early December.

On the other end of the slider is the most casual player. That person actually has zero hours of logged time, because that person has actually never seen what the game looks like due to the fact that they get always bored and close out the game before the first loading screen is done (yet they still pay their sub).

Now... truth is, nobody is on either end of either slider. Most people exist near the middle of both sliders. The problem I see on these forums is that many people think that someone just a little further on that slider (either way) means that person is the guy on the end.

Most people are neither hardcore nor casual as defined by the opposing group. Most people are a mix of both, depending on time available and desire to play on that particular day. But no matter where you are on that slider, there will be people on either side of you, thinking you're destroying their game.

Using your slider analogy, maybe casual resides somewhere between hardcore and something else. Indifferent perhaps? Both hardcore and casual possesses some level of passion, just maybe not for the same things or to similar degrees. Edited by GalacticKegger

• Replies 257
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Using your slider analogy, maybe casual resides somewhere between hardcore and something else. Indifferent perhaps? Both hardcore and casual possesses some level of passion, just maybe not for the same things or to similar degrees.

Actual casuals, yes. That was my point. The example I gave was the most inaccurate overly dramatic perception of the "casual" I could think of. Actual casual players (including me) most certainly aren't that.

A "casual" is someone like me: have to work, have a needy wife, have cats that keep you up at night, have to exercise, and a million other projects between it all. I play a few hours a week.

I am very very happy that I can do some WZ's and Ilum battles/NASCAR and have the Centurion PvP set and a few pieces of Champion. All that I ask for is to go into PvP and not be completely smashed by some monkey in uber gear who facerolls his keyboard. I'm not in Battlemaster gear, but my gear is good enough. I like the way SWTOR caters to folks like me, otherwise I would've canceled already.

casual isnt limited to the time a person spends playing or the quality of loot they try for or whether they do random warzones.

a casual is someone that plays their own game.

whether it be soloing for 20mins or all day

whether it be random warzones for 20mins or all day

whether it be grouping for 20mins or all day

whether it be crafting for 20mins or all day

its all about what that particular player wants, not what their guild expects out of them or what their friends want them to do. (as long as they arent exploiting anything, hacking, or cheating in any way of course)

but just because someone plays their own way it doesnt mean they shouldnt have access to top of the line gear. the way they choose to play..whether it be soloing, crafting, warzones, or grouping for pve instances. anyone that takes offense by that doesnt fully comprehend the purpose of playing games. and no "multiplayer" doesnt mean what youre about to try to tell me it means either ("you" being the current reader of course). it just means theres more than one person playing at the same time..not that they should all be limited to doing the same thing.

and the devs need to stop with all the limitations they put on players.

if someone wants to be a hardcore and get bis in a week let them...(but after you get that bis in a week dont complain you have nothing else to do..you chose your own path)

if someone wants to be casual let them have access to bis through other means where they feel comfortable..not what you try to guide them into because of content YOU want them to take part in. (and what anyone does with gear they do or dont have..regardless of how they get it.. is their business not yours..stop worrying about it)

you be you..me be me..we be we..its all good.

Edited by Anathar

casual isnt limited to the time a person spends playing or the quality of loot they try for or whether they do random warzones.

its all about what that particular player wants, not what their guild expects out of them or what their friends want them to do. (as long as they arent exploiting anything, hacking, or cheating in any way of course)

but just because someone plays their own way it doesnt mean they shouldnt have access to top of the line gear. the way they choose to play..whether it be soloing, crafting, warzones, or grouping for pve instances. anyone that takes offense by that doesnt fully comprehend the purpose of playing games. and no "multiplayer" doesnt mean what youre about to try to tell me it means either. it just means theres more than one person playing at the same time..not that they should all be limited to doing the same thing.

if someone wants to be a hardcore and get bis in a week let them...(but after you get that bis in a week dont complain you have nothing else to do..you chose your own path)

if someone wants to be casual let them have access to bis through other means where they feel comfortable..not what you try to guide them into because of content YOU want them to take part in.

Good points. When I put all my own rhetoric aside, I've always just taken "casual" pretty literally. I play rather casually. Some days, I might have a marathon and go for 6 hours straight. Other days, I might play 30 minutes. And when I play, I do so in a fairly laid back, casual way.

Actual casuals, yes. That was my point. The example I gave was the most inaccurate overly dramatic perception of the "casual" I could think of. Actual casual players (including me) most certainly aren't that.
Gotcha now. So there is another level to hardcore as well, like maybe extreme or something?

Casuals. They still have viable skills when it comes to playing angry birds, and can't hold their own in a fair fight. They excel in being bashed and hated on in team environments and have zero tolerance for comments on there crappy gear or there lack of understanding of basic game mechanics.

There fixed that for you.

I define a casual player as someone who plays when they have time, but don't really schedule into their lives, or set aside time especially for the game.

I do not define casual or hard core based solely on skill.

I agree. Casual players just play when they want to play, it isn't a required thing for them to do.

I got to agree, think you misunderstood. You seem to be agreeing yet arguing as if there was an disagreement.

I just want to say...that this comment is epic on so many levels. Even though I don't agree with your previous comments, I think we can all safely agree that the perceived disagreement was in fact, not a disagreement at all. I agree, for the most part, that there should be swords in boxes in-game. This is something upon which casuals, nubs, hardcores, and hardcore nubs will most definitely agree.

/thread

but just because someone plays their own way it doesnt mean they shouldnt have access to top of the line gear. the way they choose to play..whether it be soloing, crafting, warzones, or grouping for pve instances. anyone that takes offense by that doesnt fully comprehend the purpose of playing games. and no "multiplayer" doesnt mean what youre about to try to tell me it means either ("you" being the current reader of course). it just means theres more than one person playing at the same time..not that they should all be limited to doing the same thing.

if someone wants to be casual let them have access to bis through other means where they feel comfortable..not what you try to guide them into because of content YOU want them to take part in. (and what anyone does with gear they do or dont have..regardless of how they get it.. is their business not yours..stop worrying about it)

you be you..me be me..we be we..its all good.

The bolded part is where I take issue. It also seems that this demand by people who spend less time gaming are what drive people into labelling in a derogatory way.

No, just no. By that same logic, if I want a medical degree I should be able to take a plethora of remedial math classes and then receive a medical degree because that's how I feel comfortable studying.

If you want that medical degree, you had better be prepared to go through the prerequisite classes to get that degree.

It is the exact same with particular pieces of gear. If you want a certain piece that drops off the last boss in an OPs, then you should have to go through that OPs for the chance at receiving it.

There are other pieces of loot that can be of almost as good quality and stats you can get through other means, but then you get them through those other means and be happy with it. Do not say, "Hey, I pay my $15 just like that person over there, I demand everything he has. I don't care that he spent 30 times and 10 hours wiping on the way to that loot. He has it, I should be able to have it too." BIS is BEST in slot. You cannot have 5 different "bests".

Bottom line: You do have access. You are not prevented from doing exactly what the other person does. You just simply have to do it.

Edited by Strawwberry

I just want to say...that this comment is epic on so many levels. Even though I don't agree with your previous comments, I think we can all safely agree that the perceived disagreement was in fact, not a disagreement at all. I agree, for the most part, that there should be swords in boxes in-game. This is something upon which casuals, nubs, hardcores, and hardcore nubs will most definitely agree.

/thread

LMAO! I'll pay an additional $200 for a MW3 gamebox that includes BDUs and a week's worth of MREs. Edited by GalacticKegger

Casual player means something entirely different in MMOs than other games. In fact, even SWTOR is too 'hardcore' for most. I have a friend who's a huge Star Wars fan. He won't play this (or any MMO) because it's too much of a time commitment. He'll play a Facebook game for half an hour a few times a week, or he'll sit down and play Civ 5 (or 4) for an hour or two once per week.

WoW certainly increased the accessibility level of MMOs, but they are still too hardcore for a lot of game players.

I'd say a casual MMO player is someone who logs into the game no more than 5 hours per week. That's an upper limit.

tl;dr warning--For those who are just too lazy to read:

Casual players race to top level, grind gear--often through kill trading or earning points in an alternate route like space combat--rather than becoming immersed in the other aspects of the games, then spend the rest of their time riding their cars (a rose by any other name still has thorns) in the buildings, stations, toilets...and often, okay usually quite often, are known to stand around remarking how bored they are or posting how broken a game is because it isn't like their console game that allows them to use cheats. And are often seen making trolling comments to others' posts especially if they themselves seem threatened or offended by said posting.

Hardcore players actually play the game, are known to roleplay in cantinas, and spend a lot of time--months, years, decades--trying to achieve and gain as much fun from the games as possible.

While this all flies in the face of the current, and rather inaccurate, so-called definitions of casuals and hardcores, it is in other ways more accurate in that "real" players care less about epeenig than playing. Which reminds me that it is time to once again vanish into the realm of the game world (wondering if the clown convention standing around like statues will be on-site QQ about being bored while the rest of us enjoy ourselves, even if it is just dancing on tables and relaxing...).

In summary: None of this matters because there are too many different play styles and reasons people play to conviently toss any of them into two rather narrow-minded groupings.

SW: TOR has a lot to do, even at top level, that can keep people happy. Of course if I see pictures of all of the game achivements, quests, etc., having been completed, then...craft items and become a mechant. Or help organize the Saturday Night matches on Tatooine in the World PvP area. (Prizes should be well worth the fight, as should door prizes for the audience.) BYOD--bring your own droid. Ciao! :D [Now that's hardcore]

tl;dr warning--For those who are just too lazy to read:

Casual players race to top level, grind gear--often through kill trading or earning points in an alternate route like space combat--rather than becoming immersed in the other aspects of the games, then spend the rest of their time riding their cars (a rose by any other name still has thorns) in the buildings, stations, toilets...and often, okay usually quite often, are known to stand around remarking how bored they are or posting how broken a game is because it isn't like their console game that allows them to use cheats. And are often seen making trolling comments to others' posts especially if they themselves seem threatened or offended by said posting.

Hardcore players actually play the game, are known to roleplay in cantinas, and spend a lot of time--months, years, decades--trying to achieve and gain as much fun from the games as possible.

While this all flies in the face of the current, and rather inaccurate, so-called definitions of casuals and hardcores, it is in other ways more accurate in that "real" players care less about epeenig than playing. Which reminds me that it is time to once again vanish into the realm of the game world (wondering if the clown convention standing around like statues will be on-site QQ about being bored while the rest of us enjoy ourselves, even if it is just dancing on tables and relaxing...).

In summary: None of this matters because there are too many different play styles and reasons people play to conviently toss any of them into two rather narrow-minded groupings.

SW: TOR has a lot to do, even at top level, that can keep people happy. Of course if I see pictures of all of the game achivements, quests, etc., having been completed, then...craft items and become a mechant. Or help organize the Saturday Night matches on Tatooine in the World PvP area. (Prizes should be well worth the fight, as should door prizes for the audience.) BYOD--bring your own droid. Ciao! :D [Now that's hardcore]

I've been playing since launch, questing with my wife and some friends. My main is level 29. I have an alt of every class in the game, the highest of them being level 19.

Your description of a casual is typically considered a description of a certain kind of hardcore player, both by hardcore definitions and casual definitions. I mean, I understand the terms are open to interpretation, but really... your description was pretty much the opposite of a casual player in every way possible.

I guess you could call me a casual. I play 2 or 3 hours in the evening many nights, but not every night. I play at my own pace and like wandering around seeing what is going to happen next. Both guilds I've ever belong to were social first.

But...when I pugged healed you in The Deadmines, SFK, ZA, BRD, Naxaramas or ICC...I brought my A game and always prided myself in keeping everyone of you upright and breathing to the best of my ability.

I'm a casual, but I do not play casually......

If you stick strictly to the definition, casual would mean not putting any stock into anything about the game. Casual players wouldn't come to the forum to complain about anything, for example.

There is no such thing as a 'casual raiding guild'. Most people think it revolves around time invested when its really ones attitude toward the game. There are certainly levels to this, but even if you have a relaxed attitude on attendance lets say, you're still not casual.

Casual vs Hardcore

It all depends how much time is dedicated to the game.

Bad vs Good

It is determined by quality of the player.

There are good casuals and there are bad casuals. There are good hardcore and there are bad hardcore. Although it is harder to find bad hardcore because at some point if you spend a lot of time playing you will become good.

Edited by Magnijung

Definition of players: As how I see it

Elitist: A player that will do whatever is needed to reach a goal. In gaming this is players that will speed their time getting everything they need to accomplish this and can be trusted that they are doing everything to help the team succeed.

Hardcore: A player that try to do what the elitist do but sill not always min/man but try and get it if possible. In gaming these are players that will get the +4 item that costs 20,000 credits instead of the +5 item that costs 2 million credits.

Casuals: Players that do what they can but will not go to the extremes of the elitists and hardcore players. In gaming these are the players that will try something with what they have and if they fail they are OK with it and know they tried and dont care if they do everything in the game.

FAKE CASUALS: These are the players that will act like they are casuals to get what they want. In the game these are the people that say they need something because they dont have enought time to do it and are just looking to get everything made easier so they do not have to put any effort into trying. They will call anyone who does not agree with them elitists.

Tell Tell signs someone is a fake casual

1. They start off a post with them having a job or kids or very limited time before asking for something.

2. They state that a reason to have something is because the majority want it.

3. They call anyone that does not agree with them a elitist or a hardcore player

4. They state that people dont have to use it if they dont want to for something they want

5. They will say a game is not for you if you want changes but then say that changes should be made for them because they have a sub.

Edited by Emeda

Casual gamers are those who don't spend much time researching and trying to learn all the nuances of their profession/class, stats, gear, etc.
I don't understand why casuals are so adverse to this; it's something they can do at their own pace on their own terms.

Is it just a matter of perception? As in, do they feel icky if they need to use math skills or the forum's advanced search feature?

I spent an hour during a Saturday morning down time several weeks ago researching my class (juggernaut), as well as TOR specific threat generation mechanics, etc.

Is the thought of doing that intimidating to a casual?

I always picture casuals as those people who can't be bothered to figure out how to play their class to it's fullest. The melee hunters who we're not the boss of who can play the way they want to play because they're paying for their own subscription!

The people who never, ever figure out what's actually happening during boss fights and who always end up dead on the floor from sitting in fire, and yet still expect to get their purps like everyone else.

The people who are itemized wrong, who're using the wrong gear, who have the wrong specs, and who use the wrong skills in the wrong orders.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.