State of the game in my raiding guild: Concerned

Twolow

Why do people keep saying crap like this? Leveling alts is not an MMO.

I'd rather play through skyrim again than look at balmorra, taris, tatooine, alderaan, or quite frankly ANY planet in TOR.

Thanks for proving a point of sorts.

It's not the levelling process in itself that is boring, it's the implementation that has been made in most MMOs, when compared with single-player RPGs where, oh wonder, levelling is fun because it is the focus of the game.

Which brings me to my favourite rant : if you want the levelling process to be enjoyable - hell, if you want *any part of the game* to be enjoyable - you have to put effort into it as a designer.

Now in tOR, effort was put in a few places here and there, but most of it was obviously churned out almost as an afterthought, or, rather, a stereotyped exercise in time sink creation. Instead of having Skyrim with an actual endgame attached to it, you have class stories stretched too thin over a dozen planets and mixed beyond recognition with filler quests (not to mention that, most of the time, the class story itself is nothing to brag about, which makes me wonder if Bioware has lost its touch).

But it's not the concept of levelling alts which is at fault. Rather, it is the implementation of it. Which is a fault many MMOs share.

• Replies 267
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's not the levelling process in itself that is boring, it's the implementation that has been made in most MMOs, when compared with single-player RPGs where, oh wonder, levelling is fun because it is the focus of the game.

Which brings me to my favourite rant : if you want the levelling process to be enjoyable - hell, if you want *any part of the game* to be enjoyable - you have to put effort into it as a designer.

Now in tOR, effort was put in a few places here and there, but most of it was obviously churned out almost as an afterthought, or, rather, a stereotyped exercise in time sink creation. Instead of having Skyrim with an actual endgame attached to it, you have class stories stretched too thin over a dozen planets and mixed beyond recognition with filler quests (not to mention that, most of the time, the class story itself is nothing to brag about, which makes me wonder if Bioware has lost its touch).

But it's not the concept of levelling alts which is at fault. Rather, it is the implementation of it. Which is a fault many MMOs share.

Well said my friend.

I too am getting tired of the game. I expected so much, and I really thought BW would make a game I would play for years. Untill I hit 50 and a week forward, I thought BW had done a super job. I like the railshooter, I liked the crafting, and basicly it is the most fun game I've leveld up in ever... No really, it is. Having those small stories just for small quests rocked, it was nice and really fun.

Now I cant get myself to log in that much, and my guild basicly feels the same I think. Some log on once in a while, see there is noone online and log out again, unfortunetly. But this have all been said, so I will get to my point.

Me and my RL friend always start on MMOs together, tho he stopped a few weeks ago saying it was the same **** all over again, and it is.

What this game need is social things. We need things that are not just fighting. All we do in this game for progress is fighting. Crafting is not big enough to be something on its own, its something you do along with other stuff. We need swoopracing, pazak, dancing, instruments, space dog fights etc. I know it sounds lame with dancing and music. But have you seen the success SWG had with it? If you make it into a mini game, people WILL do it. If you have a garden that you have to manage or your flowers go out, people will do it. Social/mini games is what can keep a game going when you dont feel like killing stuff, when you just want to sit back and do something. If you could grow your own materials for your crafting, or having to fix your spaceship or paint it or whatever once in a while.

There is a serious lack of usage of your companions (other than gathering and missions) there is a serious lack of usage of your spaceship after 50 when you got everything you wanted for it. Beaicly, your on Ilum or on the space station just looking around waiting, and waiting. There isent any dancing in the cantina, or flowers to water (yea I know, but its just references)

I know referring to DAOC might not mean much to any of you. But in that game PvP had a purpose. You could benefit the whole realm, and you could achieve something. You had a pvp spec with abilities. Or EQ2 that have a whole AA system in place. After 50, the only progress in SWTOR is gear, there is nothing else. In eq2 the game just started when you hit 50, then it was AA farming, and tons of content for just 50.

In DAOC like I said there were castles to take over, and hold. You could upgrade those castles and your guilds banner would be on it, in your colors and everything. You had to defend it against others trying to attack it. But the real benefit was that the side that controlled the most castles got a dungeon open to them, and the entrance would close if another realm owned more castles than you. Then they would storm in and you would have a big fight in there and so on.

Im mentioning features that is allready there. You could have PvE dungeons on a timer. 2 teams fighting the same dungeon on time, the team who killed everything the fastest got some cool loot.

There is tons of stuff that have been used. From mythic themselves even. There is tons of stuff there could have been, or should be done. Spitting out more raid zones is not going to be the golden ticket. Creating something to do social with friends, and mini games is the way to go - With more raid/pvp zones to be created ofcourse.

I got a 60 day game card for Christmas (which I entered to be able to play) and by the beginning of January me and my guild had killed everything and our guild started to fall apart. By mid January it was dead and we had done more or less everything. I still have playtime until mid March which I am unable to freeze (thanks for that) and I haven't played for about a month since there is literally nothing more to do (no, I don't want or need a character of each class and spec) and even uninstalled the game on my laptop to get room for another MMORPG Beta (TERA Online with its fun action combat not WoW) which I enjoy playing a lot more. I really wished for this game to be fun since I am a huge Star Wars and Bioware fan. I very much regret spending ~200€ I spent on this game right now. Edited by kufa

My real concern isn't the current endgame, it's the future endgame.

My fear is that future endgame content will take the form of nothing more than more raids that offer gear that is just slightly better than what the last batch had, and then the next expansion will be the same, and repeat ad nauseum.

There's nothing wrong with current endgame difficulty. It's not made to be hardcore, nor does it need to be like every other MMO out there. What endgame needs is more to do besides raiding.

My fear is that future endgame content will take the form of nothing more than more raids that offer gear that is just slightly better than what the last batch had, and then the next expansion will be the same, and repeat ad nauseum.

There's nothing wrong with current endgame difficulty. It's not made to be hardcore, nor does it need to be like every other MMO out there. What endgame needs is more to do besides raiding.

Exactly.

Why would they need THREE difficulty settings if they are just super easy, very easy and easy? It doesn't make sense. With three difficulty settings you should cover three different types of players, not one.

Edited by kufa

Welcome too 4 weeks ago...

The best players were telling you all this weeks ago and all I read then was, "dont spacebar", or "reroll alt" or "blah blah blah kiss BW bum"

Maybe the next AAA mmo will listen to the players that know what makes a game tick next time and not the farmville casuals that have ruined the mmo scene for far too long.

A few things

First wow DID release with MC / Ony, goo look it up. they also released with

UBRS

LBRS

BRM

Strat live

Strat dead

Scholo

all quality content instances that were fun and a challange.

Now to this game

It has always been advertised as a casual friendly story driven MMO, which technically it is. It is easy to argue that it is too easy and maybe too casual, but I think we all know that it is about making money that is something they are doing, and doing well.

As for the OP -

My guild is in similar situation, we (officers) are talking about this very subject right now on our officer forums. The state of the game is slowing for sure. The raid content needs to be first and formost, FIXED. There should not be simply bugs like, In Nightmare mode if you master loot it on a boss kill you do not receive any rakata gear drops (this happened to us last week). The PVP can be fun when it isn't bugged and broken. When I see 12 people on my own team for a warzone and I ticket it and NEVER get a response it tell sme Bioware is getting in over their heads on BUGS. The HUGE amount of hacking taking place is also discouraging. I realize that all games has people that do this but I also know other games make an effort to publically inform the community that people are being banned for hacking....

Bioware needs to step up efforts to first and formost polish the game up. These were some of the top things reported to BIOWARE in the beta. I was playing in beta from december of 2010 and for the year+ time that I was in there the game got better but it essentially did not change enough to warrent the release date it went with. Too many bugs, too many glitches and too much emphasis on cut scenes.

My play time now on alts and on my main are all like this

ple (spacebar)

we ne (spacebar)

wil (spacebar)

spacebar mash X10

2 repeat spacebar mash X3

go kill NPC's for daily, or run to first trash mob in instance.

I play 3 hours a day and I don't have a level 50 yet

Blame me for being a MMO vet and not expecting end game content within 6 months of release.

I play a whole family of alts, and muck around all day, no concerns here!

Mate, let's open eyes...this game is low budget. Probably they spent less than 15 million dollars bout it.

What makes more hype? Saying "I created this game with 15 million dollars" or "I CREATED THIS GAME WITH 300 MILION DOLLARS"?

Reflect about this.

If they really spent 300 million dollars bout this..I hope someone will be fired at least.

You might be on to something.

@OP

This worked for a few weeks with us logging in, knocking out the hard mode raids, and logging out until next week. We cleared most of nightmare short of two bosses but didn't see the point as there is no reward for the added frustration.

what do you mean by no reward?

What drew most people into this game is the story+VOs. They spent millions on the story element, which is cool. But no way can a story MMO ever last. When the story ends, so does the gameplay. Although the story+scenes aren't quite as good as mass effect/dragon age, its still a blast to play a story game in a mmo setting.

The problem with swtor is they are drawing from the wow playerbase. Wow players have done tons of casual raiding+heroics+nonstop quests. If they left wow because they are bored of wow, they certainly won't last in swtor. That's the problem.

What drew most people into this game is the story+VOs. They spent millions on the story element, which is cool. But no way can a story MMO ever last. When the story ends, so does the gameplay. Although the story+scenes aren't quite as good as mass effect/dragon age, its still a blast to play a story game in a mmo setting.

The problem with swtor is they are drawing from the wow playerbase. Wow players have done tons of casual raiding+heroics+nonstop quests. If they left wow because they are bored of wow, they certainly won't last in swtor. That's the problem.

I think many WoW players expected a challenging end game like in WoW.

I think many WoW players expected a challenging end game like in WoW.

Mmm maybe somethin different. Not the same endgame content... raid - raid - raid. Raidin is wonderful (even doin daily quests - in Wow i was addicted) but i expected somethin more from endgame content..

Edited by Fezzhan

why Am I wasting my time listening to these guys rant and rave? they're impossibly ignorant and have expectations of a spoilt child. I love this game I love the end content and I hate people like you lot who just go on about how "bad" and "worthless" this game is. well lets see shall we? then we'll see who is pointless.

WoW:

*Not much real point to the game other than fun avatars getting fake money to get better stuff.

*No real story or RP.

*Great pvp.

*Microtransitions for a couple of paragraphs of computer code/data to get another in game picture displayed on your screen that moves about a bit.

*end game content is fairly good but a bit anoying and predictable.

RIFT:

*Fairly good Story and plotline But hasn't got much room to progress other than the same style over and over again.

*RP is fairly strong with many classes avalible RIFT have outdone themselves on this aspect.

*Interesting PvP grounds where you have to level up further to unlock more content.

*Added digital packadges are somewhat good but again pointless.

*endgame content is very unique with the chance to greater enhance your class.

SWtor:

*Brilliant RP and Star wars story, 3000 years of story to progress that is not predictable at all. Many questions answered.

*RP is perfect, you can really customize your charater style. Not too many classes that minimises confusion of role and strengthens the main class in genral.

*Pvp is very good in terms of fitting it to the star wars Genre but as they have said "We were very SUPRISED with the popularity of pvp in the game" this proves that the game wasnt meant to be a grinding/pvp spaming game it was meant to be a game for fans of starwars not hardcore gamers.

*digital packadge and CE are good in their own way, DP is again a bit pointless but has room for improvemnt with the VIP and CE has everything a true starwars fan wants.

*endgame content is very suprising and quite frankly brilliant with story and shocking twists but saying more would be spoilers.

Make your descion. If it isnt swtor get the hell of this site and stop wasting our time!

All I have to say is heh .... come to my guild. We keep bleeding people to guilds like yours cause we are too relaxed in the guild setting and people just want to rush to that end game content. The game has been out 2 months. Content in MMO's is easier and easier not the other way around. Maybe MMO's just aren't the gameplay you truly want anymore.

I'm running dailies, working on codex entries, and if I'm lucky and have enough time getting into hardmode dungeons. I've finished all of 1 since I hit 50 about 3 - 4 weeks ago. Still plenty to do for me and many in my guild.

Edited by Yeren

LOL, why do people buy MMORPG games when they are looking for something else? I mean really, you basically bought a game called "Chess". You can use anything you want for the pieces, anything you want for the board, but in the end, the game is still going to be chess. Why do you expect the game to be any different? Do you expect to tune into a Football game to see chickens and chimpanzees sewing a friendship quilt? Based on how disappointed people are in this game, people obviously expected something other than an MMORPG. Next time you want to buy an MMORPG, go to your local game store, put the contents of Left 4 Dead into the Guild Wars 2 box... then and only then, will be pleasantly surprised that it's not like any other MMORPG you've ever played before.

What drew most people into this game is the story+VOs. They spent millions on the story element, which is cool. But no way can a story MMO ever last. When the story ends, so does the gameplay. Although the story+scenes aren't quite as good as mass effect/dragon age, its still a blast to play a story game in a mmo setting....

Well they could, y'know, write more story. :)

Which is exactly what I expect they will do. Think of the current game as a "first chapter" if you will. Just because we finish the Great Hunt or whatever our current class story doesn't preclude more to come.

But you are right, once the story is over, not too much left, at least not to me.

I said it after my first weekend in beta. I said it after my second and third weekend in beta. And now, after release, it's only been re-affirmed.

BioWare wanted to make a Single Player game. Somewhere in development, early on, they were told to turn it into an MMO. What they ended up with was an MMO with a forced multiplayer option tacked on.

They really SHOULD have stuck with KotOR 3-6 (saying KotOR 3-11 is a joke, given all the shared content between classes). Single player games is what BioWare does well.

Well they could, y'know, write more story. :)

Which is exactly what I expect they will do. Think of the current game as a "first chapter" if you will. Just because we finish the Great Hunt or whatever our current class story doesn't preclude more to come.

But you are right, once the story is over, not too much left, at least not to me.

If they wanted to make an episodic KOTOR3 with tacked-on multiplayer they should've done just that. Right now the game is neither a "real" MMORPG nor a decent single player experience.