A Gap Closer for Operatives

Vamina

I like how giving Operatives any form of mobility at all is some sort of gamebreaking mechanic. Hell, I'd be happy with a minor speed boost ability, doesn't even have to be as good as Force Speed, just something to keep us in the game, especially in Huttball. We're not asking for the world here, and anyone who thinks Operatives would be "OP" with an ability similar to what I just mentioned knows nothing about the game.

P.S. - If you posted in this thread and used the phrase "OMG, I GOT STUNLOCKED TO DEATH" please, just do us all a favor and kill yourself.

• Replies 882
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This will never happen because the forum would be filled with an avalanche of tears from players that are utterly terrified of Conceal/Scrappers coming back into their own. They'll fill the forums with lies and ridiculous hypothetical scenarios in which the gap closer could be deemed overpowered, and they'll threaten to quit if their demands that Scoundrels/Operatives remain unchanged are not met. Edited by AdmiralOnasi

This will never happen because the forum would be filled with an avalanche of tears from players that are utterly terrified of Conceal/Scrappers coming back into their own. They'll fill the forums with lies and ridiculous hypothetical scenarios in which the gap closer could be deemed overpowered, and they'll threaten to quit if their demands that Scoundrels/Operatives remain unchanged are not met.

Yeah, meanwhile every match you go into at level 50 is now half filled with Sorcs. But hey, thats just cause people like lightning... right? Right? ....

Bioware needs to remove head from ***.

Yeah give you guys a gap closer! You really need one since you stealth up on someone and backstab the crap out of them knocking them down and spamming backstab. Give me a break with the gap closer crap your class is still OP just ask chillz on Vulkar Highway who devastates people using back stab. A gap closer yeah whatever!

Yeah give you guys a gap closer! You really need one since you stealth up on someone and backstab the crap out of them knocking them down and spamming backstab. Give me a break with the gap closer crap your class is still OP just ask chillz on Vulkar Highway who devastates people using back stab. A gap closer yeah whatever!

Oh riiiight, there are a few Operatives who still do well, so that proves that this class is OP.

Ever wondered how well those players would do if they were playing any other class? Or if they didn't have a gear advantage?

Play an Operative up to lvl 50 and play just one single game of Huttball, then come back to this thread and tell us what you think.

Edited by Ich_Bin

I'm a scoundrel but here is my thoughts:

Huttball makes me want to /delete. Sure I can kill folks and do good DPS but I cannot contribute in any other way, one knockback and there is no way to stop the carrier since it takes so long to get back up.

I have no problem closing in most other situations short of Ilum large fights where I heal and use my spammable attack.

What would make me ecstatic is some kind of "take cover" adjustment which would let me get back up onto the platforms.

That said it's so annoying in huttball I am rolling a Shadow

I'm a scoundrel but here is my thoughts:

Huttball makes me want to /delete. Sure I can kill folks and do good DPS but I cannot contribute in any other way, one knockback and there is no way to stop the carrier since it takes so long to get back up.

Stealth to the endzone, get passes, score?

Spamming backstab wich is 9 sec cooldown...idiots like you got this class nerfed

Movement Enhancing effects IE Force Speed, Charge are reserved for Space Monks, Freaks, and Super Human soldiers. Joe Smuggler does not have access to these awesome things and never will.

Also the situation is rare but its pops up. Take Cover can be used to roll in front of your enemy. Sadly there isn't many(less than a handful) instances/opportunities that this can happen though.

Reroll shadow then if ops are so bad and shadows so good.

Funny thing that. My Shadow is much less aggravating to play. I tend to play it when I want a break from dragging people to their death on my Vanguard.

Keyboard turning in place against an Ops doesn't mean they're spamming. I think you're confusing the Assassin/Shadow with the Ops/Sc either way anyway.

I still play my Ops though. Sometimes. When I've stopped laughing at dragging a Sorc back to my feet to bash his face in. And when I'm tired of playing a good stealther. And if I'm bored with Nuclear Dawn. I do know he's still specced healing at least, the last time I saw him anyway.

Movement Enhancing effects IE Force Speed, Charge are reserved for Space Monks, Freaks, and Super Human soldiers. Joe Smuggler does not have access to these awesome things and never will.

My idea is more a dream, than idea. "I have a dream..."

Give Smugglers a bullwhip, and Imperial Agents a grappling hook, fits the bill of the class. No super enhanced soldier abilities, no unnatural leaping animation - just something to play even more into my Indiana Solo fantasy!!!

Bullwhip and Grapple Hook could be like aoe target (like freighter targeting) and you swing to that location (swooosh). Don't ask me how, 'physics-wise' - just assume the same physics apply to our bullwhip as out freighter flying by in a cave, or space station interior. And there you have it, gap closer sorted. Oh I can see it now...

*Cue music*

Dun dun dun duuuuuun, dun dun dunnnnn...

*cracks bullwhip*

Dun dun dun duuuuuun, dun dun DUN DUN DUNNNN...

*Swings to target*

Dun dun dun dun, dun dun DUUUUUUUUUUUUUN...

*Pops stealth*

DUN DUN DUUUN DUN, DUN DUUUUN DUN, DUN DUN DUN DUN DA DUN DUN DUUUUUN...

*eats a knockback and falls back into the pit*

I wouldn't want it to be a pull like grapple or the assassin / shadow thing, cause we need a gap closer to get to targets (for PVE also, raids and the like).

Hope you enjoyed the music.

Gap-closer refers to an ability to travel a medium-length distance instantly or very quickly.

ex)force leap, force sprint, etc...

HOW IS STEALTH A GAP CLOSER.................

I will never understand this argument.

Operatives need 1 of 3 things.

1) The gap closer that everyone is mentioning...

2) an ability that allows you not to be knockbacked for xx seconds with a reasonable cooldown.

3) Sever tendon or tendon blast having a 30 yard range, and not a 10.

Even if they made us run 20% faster then other players, we would still struggle in huttball but it would go a long way.

I thought stealth was a gap closer.

Stealth isn't a gap closer. It isn't something we use as a gap closer, rather it's something we use while closing a gap (i.e. if we're out of combat, we're going to be in stealth for our opener). It doesn't help us close a gap, since stealth on it's own gives movement penalty, which we talent back up. With sprint activated, and out of combat, it's gap closing capabilities are marginal at best. If our 'prey' is in combat and has their own sprint deactivated, well anyone out of combat can run to them as fast as we can stealth. Our only advantage is they (generally) don't see us coming.

If I get knocked off the catwalk in Huttball, or off the turret platform in Civil War, popping stealth ain't gonna get me back up there in a fashionable time - mostly because I'll still be in combat for the next 20-30 seconds - combat bound to whoever it was that knocked me off in the first place. You cannot stealth in combat.

Disappearing Act, if that's what you're referring to, is an "oh bugger" button, and although it may cut down our journey to the catwalks by about 3 seconds, ain't no way on God's green Earth any self-respecting scoundrel / op is gonna use their best CD it in that situation. With it's particularly long cool down it is better saved for a more tactical moment.

I can appreciate your input, but really the phrase "gap closer" isn't applicable to stealth in the capacity of this thread.

I would love to have one skill, any skill, that can affect either my position or the position of another player. ANYTHING!!!!

A gap closer might be a bit op for scoundrel and doesn't fit well with the class imo.

What i think would be more appropiate would be some kind of knockback. Its not too OP and that would be situational and useful if used correctly. Could be single target or Aoe. Wouldn't care.

I quote again.

I would love to have one skill, any skill, that can affect either my position or the position of another player. ANYTHING!!!!

A gap closer might be a bit op for scoundrel and doesn't fit well with the class imo.

What i think would be more appropiate would be some kind of knockback. Its not too OP and that would be situational and useful if used correctly. Could be single target or Aoe. Wouldn't care.

I quote again.

Pulse grenade

30m Range

Ground targetable AOE Knockback

40s CD

You know you want it

This is just another example of how retardedly uninformed people are about Operatives. You cannot "spam" Backstab, it's on a 9s cooldown. It's one of the 20 different keybinds I use in almost EVERY fight. The only class I can think of that requires more skill / commonly used abilities is a Marauder, but then again, they get a GAP CLOSER.