Warning: Do not play a melee if you want to have post 50.

JonnyLoveMachine

Posting "Look at my terrible damage" is NOT an indicator of anything, but it does hint that your skill level, and game knowledge, is lacking.

Please provide a video of you getting ping-ponged despite your amazing ability, and we'll talk.

Have I hit 50 on my melee? Nope. I started a Sith Juggernaut, and quickly discovered that both Mercs and Sorcs have spammable knockbacks.

What did I do? come to forums and whine? Nope, I quickly learned four things:

- knockback goes BACKWARDS. So if you position yourself well, you can jump straight into the fray

- Force Charge completely negates the knockback, and as a bonus it roots them

- If the two above didn't help, I switch targets and kill them instead

- Cluster***ks are not the place for melee to be, unless you have your cooldowns ready

That got me in the top DPS many times, and I am still level 17. Yeah, it's not 50. And yeah, I kill sorcs and mercs without a problem.

For PvE, I can't speak but I know that there are multiple ways for at least Sith Jugg/Mara to drasticly decrease the lockout from Force Charge. Why not use that when you are knocked back?

I'm afraid I see a L2P problem here. The mechanics in this game ARE more punishing to melee, but not to a point where it's unplayable. I do wonder about Concealment Operatives and Scrapper Scoundrels. But that's nowhere close to saying "ALL MELEE IS BROKEN GAME SUCKS ***"

Could you record us a video of how bad the melee is from your perspective? At worst, we can offer advice on how to overcome your hurdles.

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Posting "Look at my terrible damage" is NOT an indicator of anything, but it does hint that your skill level, and game knowledge, is lacking.

Please provide a video of you getting ping-ponged despite your amazing ability, and we'll talk.

Have I hit 50 on my melee? Nope. I started a Sith Juggernaut, and quickly discovered that both Mercs and Sorcs have spammable knockbacks.

What did I do? come to forums and whine? Nope, I quickly learned four things:

- knockback goes BACKWARDS. So if you position yourself well, you can jump straight into the fray

- Force Charge completely negates the knockback, and as a bonus it roots them

- If the two above didn't help, I switch targets and kill them instead

- Cluster***ks are not the place for melee to be, unless you have your cooldowns ready

That got me in the top DPS many times, and I am still level 17. Yeah, it's not 50. And yeah, I kill sorcs and mercs without a problem.

For PvE, I can't speak but I know that there are multiple ways for at least Sith Jugg/Mara to drasticly decrease the lockout from Force Charge. Why not use that when you are knocked back?

I'm afraid I see a L2P problem here. The mechanics in this game ARE more punishing to melee, but not to a point where it's unplayable. I do wonder about Concealment Operatives and Scrapper Scoundrels. But that's nowhere close to saying "ALL MELEE IS BROKEN GAME SUCKS ***"

Could you record us a video of how bad the melee is from your perspective? At worst, we can offer advice on how to overcome your hurdles.

At 17 you have so much experience. Because my 1 charge to 1 person can negate most classes with an aoe knockback. So when the ball carrier has 2 others around him I run up start whacking on him get knocked down 2 levels only to charge back up to get knocked down again is ridiculous.

The problem is you have ZERO IDEA of what you are talking about... How do I know this you ask? Because JUGGERNAUT charge has immunity where no one else does. Hint hint. L2P is on your side of the table.. not mine. Get to level 50 x2 and have to BM= chars and maybe.. just maybe.. we can talk on the same level. Till then go back to the head in the sand and regurgitating what you read.

Edited by JonnyLoveMachine

wat?!

The OP's prediction to SWTOR will be going F2P in 6 months. I thought I cared about his prediction, but turned out, that feeling I mistook for caring about what he said, was just gas. And that gas was probably worth as much as what he said.

I hate to call you out, but your post is not very well informed and you need to go back playing another game, like maybe for the SNES.

With 1.7+ million people that RESUBBED this game is not going anywhere, especially F2P anytime soon.

Umm, you ARE aware that that was a fake number, right? 1.7 million people didn't resub.

Seems low expertise for that Valor Rank ..... sitting myself at 650+ exp VR 63.

Soo how much of the Valor was gained by Trading in Ilum ?

I am only missing 4 pieces of BM. Wrist / Legs / Belt / Boots. I have been BM for 1+ month now. I am just severely unlucky. Another reason this game is *****.

RNG LOOT for the loss.

Nothing like 25 bags opened and not one BM token. It feels great! For those counting that is 2 weeks with out a single token.

Edited by JonnyLoveMachine

At 17 you have so much experience. Because my 1 charge to 1 person can negate most classes with an aoe knockback. So when the ball carrier has 2 others around him I run up start whacking on him get knocked down 2 levels only to charge back up to get knocked down again is ridiculous.

The problem is you have ZERO IDEA of what you are talking about... How do I know this you ask? Because JUGGERNAUT charge has immunity where no one else does. Hint hint. L2P is on your side of the table.. not mine. Get to level 50 x2 and have to BM= chars and maybe.. just maybe.. we can talk on the same level. Till then go back to the head in the sand and regurgitating what you read.

Thank you for the insult, it made you look even worse.

From your argument, I understand you have the problem that 3 people can neutralize you when you go 3v1. Where is the problem? The knockbacks are specifically designed to neutralize the melee. Of course they work.

I find it a similar argument to "I am a sniper, and when the melee ambushes me I usually lose" - it's not a winning situation for a Sniper, but you have to learn to adapt to it.

Also, for the record, I didn't have the charge immunity. You have to be higher level than 17, and spec into Vengeance which I didn't want to do.

Now I don't feel like having a "NO U" argument. What were you trying to achieve with your melee character? What kind of build are you using? What is your common strategy in trying to do so?

You will be punished for it later after 50.

WZ: You will be a human ping pong in every BG. You might be able to take a caster here and there but that is only 1v1.

PVE: You will not be taken to ANY end game content as you are just a liability due to terrible mechanics that punish melee.

Other problems with this pile:

IA Nerf with out fixing their sustainability.

Water Nerf with out giving Non Hybrid classes a decent out of combat heal that doesn't break on dot damage.

Leaving combat in a WZ with no one around you is LOL.

Huttball HORRIBLY designed for ANY melee to play in.

Let's talk about the RESOLVE BAR THAT DOESNT WORK. Yup.. full resolve.. np.. enjoy the free knock back or stun.

TLDR: SWTOR = F2P in less than 6 months. Once they realize all they have left is Sorc/Sages + Merc / Comm's + Tank classes. Amazing how terrible this game continues to be. You had 2 months start fixing it. All you have done is made stuff worse.

The problem is in the last 2 months they have done nothing but nerf things with out actually fixing any of the problems. That is where the disappointment comes in. I don't mind a new game lacking features and bugs. What I do mind is the lack of foresight on their part when they do changes. It just shows me their dev team either has a dart board or they have no idea what they are doing.

INC BIOFAIL FANBOI BRIDGADE - All because they haven't hit 50 yet and have seen how broken the end game is.

Before L2P PVP - Pics are included from no less than an hour ago. All top PVP'ers on our server. Notice where I rank. I can kill these guys 1v1 most of the time. But I can't equal them in group combat.

Pics of my PVP:

http://oi43.tinypic.com/2zi0nsk.jpg

http://i39.tinypic.com/35iq6h2.jpg

Pic of what the Game is about to become:

http://i41.tinypic.com/35k0hg3.png

/flamesuit on

Sure there are problems. Classes will be fotm, and classes will be underpowered. Personally being underpowered gives me the incentive to try that much harder in pvp regardless of what gear i have. Im an op and i didnt really care much about the nerf, it didnt matter to me, you have to adapt and try a different style. Changes will be made, and you cant change the change, you can only change yourself and adapt to it. All that aside, Operatives and Scoundrels need some utility tool. Every class has a way to hurl themselves through a distance, hook people to them, and force run.

All i ask is a batman grappling hook to hook around and jump up to a platform like Batman. Or hell..catwoman even.

Thank you for the insult, it made you look even worse.

From your argument, I understand you have the problem that 3 people can neutralize you when you go 3v1. Where is the problem? The knockbacks are specifically designed to neutralize the melee. Of course they work.

I find it a similar argument to "I am a sniper, and when the melee ambushes me I usually lose" - it's not a winning situation for a Sniper, but you have to learn to adapt to it.

Also, for the record, I didn't have the charge immunity. You have to be higher level than 17, and spec into Vengeance which I didn't want to do.

Now I don't feel like having a "NO U" argument. What were you trying to achieve with your melee character? What kind of build are you using? What is your common strategy in trying to do so?

No buddy, what you do not understand is those same three classes would NOT be able to neutralize a ranged in the same way. If I didnt have to be in melee range I would have never had that problem. But that is on every level. Anything with multiple levels, melee will always suffer unless they have better mechanics.

That is the issue.

No buddy, what you do not understand is those same three classes would NOT be able to neutralize a ranged in the same way. If I didnt have to be in melee range I would have never had that problem. But that is on every level. Anything with multiple levels, melee will always suffer unless they have better mechanics.

That is the issue.

Ranged classes have their own issues - LOS, and channeled/casted abilities being two. They also have fewer gap closers, and as such are even more vulnerable to knockbacks and everything else. What you have to use an ability with a moderate cooldown for (knockback) you can achieve by running around a corner or using an interrupt (short to moderate cooldown).

You... do know this is not a new problem in video games, right? To my knowledge, the exception is WoW which chose to not have a collection of knockbacks available to characters, instead focusing on more stuns/mez.

Usually, this is offset by the melee being even more devastating, and harder to shake off once engaged, than your average ranged class. Being on the receiving end (Gunslinger main), it certainly feels that way. How do you find it from your perspective?

EDIT: The experience which comes to mind is Warhammer Online, playing a Dwarven Engineer - similar to Gunslinger/Sniper, with less burst and more utility. Melee had a hard time reaching me, but if they could weather my toolkit, I was as good as dead. And the melee didn't have a good charge in that game.

Edited by JoyProtocol

Really the only thing I can say, and I have being playing since November of 2010 in closed beta, is that to ATTEMPT to do as GOOD as a Sorc/Sage on my Marauder/Sent, I have to play my *** off. My Sorc/Sage allow me to just Average Joe through my keybinds and do better in most cases. And I am not talking purely numbers here. Overall utility, trophies earned per match, healing, killing, non/effective damage, etc. Even if I spread out 600k of damage that isn't directly effective against the opposing team (kill an actual target on my own), that's still A LOT of healing they had to do, or pressure they had upon them. Most characters on average have around ~14k HP. You could look at 600k damage done as 42-50 kills or health bars worth of damage done. That's still very effective in my eyes. So I hate that whole effectiveness argument. Now on my Marauder I was doing 250k average, on a awesome day maybe 400k. Even if I did take down healers, stop targets directly. I played tough. Much harder than I had to on my Sorc/Sage and I ended up with less rewards in the end. And when I played that tough on my Sorc/Sage, the rewards are so much more substantial. So much more. So for me there is this ongoing issues since beta of Effort=/=Reward balancing that needs taken care of.

Honest question for those saying Sentinel/Marauders are fine:

How good can you be without being healed/guarded/babystat/carried by others? Can you ever be as good/useful as a ranged-DPS, are you really just a liability?

I'm leveling a Sentinel and it's the worst I've tried in PvP at mid-levels but I want to know if it's worth it later.

Edited by fyrephly

Honest question for those saying Sentinel/Marauders are fine:

How good can you be without being healed/guarded/babystat/carried by others? Can you ever be as good/useful as a ranged-DPS, are you really just a liability?

I'm leveling a Sentinel and it's the worst I've tried in PvP at mid-levels but I want to know if it's worth it later.

sentinels and marauders aren't fine, but they aren't broken either

they can use a little tweaking to be a little more "noob-friendly", but they are perfectly fine if you learn your abilities and play properly, and in my opinion I think they are perfectly fine. for me. but for the average player they could use just a little tweaking to be just a little easier

I play exclusively melees. I get taken into endgame raids without a problem. I kill ranged in warzones without a problem. The problem seems to be you, not melees.

we dont care about ****** 0 expertise baddies in pug WZs

we dont care about easymode EV

Oh you mean the 15 second CD one that if ANYONE blows a knockback any where near you.. you are now on the floor. Then you have 15 seconds to get back to them, which completely negates your resolve bar so they can do it again to you. You mean that one?

...you mean; and then you force push somebody and leap back to your target, that force charge.

I'm sorry to tell you; you're bad

Also, because you're apparently really bad:

Enjoy homie.

You will be punished for it later after 50.

WZ: You will be a human ping pong in every BG. You might be able to take a caster here and there but that is only 1v1.

PVE: You will not be taken to ANY end game content as you are just a liability due to terrible mechanics that punish melee.

Other problems with this pile:

IA Nerf with out fixing their sustainability.

Water Nerf with out giving Non Hybrid classes a decent out of combat heal that doesn't break on dot damage.

Leaving combat in a WZ with no one around you is LOL.

Huttball HORRIBLY designed for ANY melee to play in.

Let's talk about the RESOLVE BAR THAT DOESNT WORK. Yup.. full resolve.. np.. enjoy the free knock back or stun.

TLDR: SWTOR = F2P in less than 6 months. Once they realize all they have left is Sorc/Sages + Merc / Comm's + Tank classes. Amazing how terrible this game continues to be. You had 2 months start fixing it. All you have done is made stuff worse.

The problem is in the last 2 months they have done nothing but nerf things with out actually fixing any of the problems. That is where the disappointment comes in. I don't mind a new game lacking features and bugs. What I do mind is the lack of foresight on their part when they do changes. It just shows me their dev team either has a dart board or they have no idea what they are doing.

INC BIOFAIL FANBOI BRIDGADE - All because they haven't hit 50 yet and have seen how broken the end game is.

Before L2P PVP - Pics are included from no less than an hour ago. All top PVP'ers on our server. Notice where I rank. I can kill these guys 1v1 most of the time. But I can't equal them in group combat.

Pics of my PVP:

http://oi43.tinypic.com/2zi0nsk.jpg

http://i39.tinypic.com/35iq6h2.jpg

Pic of what the Game is about to become:

http://i41.tinypic.com/35k0hg3.png

/flamesuit on

Watching your screenshots, this is actually what I see on a regular basis in most game round..most are sorc/sage followed by BH/commandos. Already in beta they were dominating the battlegrounds.

If you take this all into consideration and watch how Illum looks like, you can only shake with the head about those who actually say everything is fine.

Edited by BobaFurz