So Bioware, when do you give the Republic another race?

corebit

There's already a ton of threads about mirror abilities not being actual mirrors (and all of them favoring Empire), so I want to avoid discussing that.

You are wrong. The Sage AOE healing was doing better than Sorc's. Sage's were getting an initial heal out of their while Sorcs didn't. From what I hear, it's still not fixed.

And you'll get a new race when the Empire does as well.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ever since hearing of the species (not race, btw) and the sides, I did have to raise an eyebrow that the Xenophobic, alien hating Sith side would get one more species choice than the open arms, alien loving Republic.

Knew that people would point that little fact out and take issue with it.

Edited by Scar

All this talk of "new races" but really.....why?

Your choice of race is purely cosmetic. The voice is the same (depends on your class, not race).

No race gives you any benefits over the others. If they introduce new races it will be a matter of starting a new player at the beggining.

I've been very supportive of this game since I started playing it, I'm not seeing the issues some are etc.

But one thing that really frustrated me was the fact race choice really means nothing.

I expected having to sit there at character generation and thinking "Well that race gives you this, whereas that race gives you the other".

Instead it's just a "skin" around a cookie-cut character specification.

Rant over and sorry I've taken things OT a little bit.

Your choice of race is purely cosmetic. The voice is the same (depends on your class, not race).

No race gives you any benefits over the others. If they introduce new races it will be a matter of starting a new player at the beggining.

I've been very supportive of this game since I started playing it, I'm not seeing the issues some are etc.

But one thing that really frustrated me was the fact race choice really means nothing.

I expected having to sit there at character generation and thinking "Well that race gives you this, whereas that race gives you the other".

1) It's tough for an MMOG to start making racial "bonuses", because then you start having stigmata in end game (which amplifies everything to the nth degree) if you are of not a ceratain race/class combo. As neat and interesting as bonuses are, they start to fall into criteria that has advantages and disadvantages over certain classes for certain roles.

2) Giving one side more choices, even though purely cosmetic might just help out in server balance. Couldn't hurt for the Pubs to have three or for more species to choose from. Plus it fits lore wise.

But I understand where you are coming from. It's just a difficult thing to do to have bonuses without affecting balance. For a while there in WoW, you were looked down if you were not a Tauren Warr. Or in EQ, people wanted to be Ogre warr because the highest starting CON, or Troll because of regen. Not saying it didn't happen, but peole congregate to "the best."

It comes down to people simply being different and placing higher value on different things.

There are those who primarily value gameplay and only those things which directly effect it (i.e. the numbers... racial bonuses, stats on gear). These types of people don't understand why anyone would care how the game looks, or features that are purely cosmetic, because those things don't impact the performance of their character. You seem to be more this type and that's ok.

And then there are the types of people who value the immersive aspects of the game. The environments, atmosphere, character aesthetics, etc are important to them. They are the ones who want to be able to sit in chairs. For these types of people, racial choices, even if purely cosmetic, matter because they think of their character more as a personal creation, an avatar, through which they live out a story. For these types, a new "skin" is often enough to make the character feel like a different experience.

There is nothing wrong with either type of player, and most people will likely fall somewhere inbetween the two. Which is why a really good game will try to appeal to both types equally.

I think both sides need more species. Currently they are all coloured humans.

However I think the legacy system will mean all the species can play all the classes, because lets face it the inbalance between Imp and Rep is all down to species. By letting us play all 8 painted humans as any class they will make all those people wanting more species happy and completly fix the population inbalance :rolleyes:

How about those black-eyed tentacle-headed dudes? Seen plenty of NPC Jedi of those. Give the Pub side that. Octopus-people are always cool.

They are called Nautolan or Nautiloids.

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Nautolan

Edited by Xruptor

Voss or Wookie. I don't care if Wookie's can't speak basic. People seem to understand them perfectly fine. Just look at the Huntmaster.

Voss just look awesome...

When I went to Voss on my JK I thought for sure that one female Voss would turn into a companion. That was a real heartbreaker right there...

Togruta please. My currently unsubscribed account would flip to subscribed if I could play a Togruta jedi. The crazy variety of species in Star Wars lore appeals to me, but playing human, red-skinned human, green-skinned human, pale-skinned human, human-with-facial-computers or human-with-blindfold is not really my idea of diversity, to be honest.

There are lots of species that are humanoid, speak basic, and yet retain a fairly exotic/alien appearance. Togruta and cathar for example. These two already seem like they might have been intended at one time to be playable, based on how often they appear as customized NPCs.

Edited by marshalleck

Right now, as with many other things in the game, the choice of races for character creation is tilted in the Empire's favor, having one more race choice than the Republic.

Empire Exclusive Races:

1. Sith Pureblood

2. Rattataki

3. Chiss

Republic Exclusive Races:

1. Miraluka

2. Mirialan

So Bioware, when do you plan to give the Republic its missing race and offset the imbalance? I would like Togruta or Kaleesh.

Those are species. If you want a different race, just move the skin color slider.

This was actually something I brought up in discussion with a friend of mine, and then she pointed out that Twi'Leks are almost Republic exclusive, since every republic class can be a Twi'Lek, and only Inquisitors can be a sith-sided one.

That said, I would murder for playable Jawas.

This was actually something I brought up in discussion with a friend of mine, and then she pointed out that Twi'Leks are almost Republic exclusive, since every republic class can be a Twi'Lek, and only Inquisitors can be a sith-sided one.

That said, I would murder for playable Jawas.

lol somehow a jawa jedi or sith made me chuckle.. Not sure they are force attuned anyways.