Boring Static World of SWTOR

Farbod

• Replies 498
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Bioware pretty much tells us "We have big planets! You can look at them... while on a predetermined Taxi ride. If you want to move around yourself, do it in the pre-determined leveling areas."

Meh.

Instead of using parts of different planets for the storylines the quests follow they could have simply used a single planet for everything because planets are so big, but then everyone would complain that the planet is too big and they didn't get to go to some other planet.

The main issues being

#1 The world feels static

#2 There's quite no such thing as exploration in TOR

#3 The planets are divided in too many zones

About #1 First they need to add movement to the NPC and static mobs. Create patterns. Then the lack of things like day/night cycles does not help either. There's no feeling at all the time is passing.

#2 The planets aren't designed for exploration. You can certainly find a few chests of holocrons here and there but that's about it. There are way too many non climbable slopes everywhere. And most of the time you have only one path from and too a destination. Our characters don't evolve in 3D either. Our force jump does not allows us to reach higher grounds and the jet packs are more like anvils than else.

#3 We can't even browse seamlessly the maps. It does not help to make the brain of the players think they are indeed worlds. These are just zones linked one to the other.

For now realistic expectations would be improvements coming with new planets:

- Day/night cycles can be added more easily in new areas/planets. Ex: real dark nights and you get IR/night vision goggles.

- Adding NPC AI and patterns even tied with day/night cycles. Ex: some mobs only appear during the night.

- Adding critters, more world sounds, changing environments

- Designing seamless open world areas from scratch, even the maps

- Making 3d exploration: you could use your jetpacks, force powers, grappling hooks, climbing skills in these new zones

Now on top of all the above things like holocrons rotting in the open looks weird. They should be hidden from sight and detected by either force powers or high tech equipment only affordable by heroes like our characters. As much as artifacts nodes we can find in the middle of the road, that's kink of silly. Same thing for crystal nodes. These should be set in specific places that would fit the setting.

Edited by Deewe

just add some damn background music specific to each world... that's just basic atmosphere creation...

now its just ambient noise for every planet... I have no feeling nor sentiment towards any planet. and I mainly blame the music and predetermination of the taxi's

Many of the early planets don't have much in the way of activities for the mobs. I suspect it has more to do with trying to not overwhelm new players because by the time you hit the 30s everything changes.

Mobs patrols are all over the place.

Idle NPC animations are more varied and more in fitting with the environment.

Pre-animated interaction between NPCs are all over the place.

You only have to take one look at Belsavis to see a really, really active planet. But if every world was like that I can see how it may become overwhelming for new players. That said, I would think that anyone who has hit level 20 isn't going to find all of the activity distracting but then again, you can't really make Tatooine appear very 'busy' when it is intended to be desolate.

just add some damn background music specific to each world... that's just basic atmosphere creation...

now its just ambient noise for every planet... I have no feeling nor sentiment towards any planet. and I mainly blame the music and predetermination of the taxi's

I agree that adding more music or the ability to have some kind of star wars playlist to continually play music would be better.

The main issues being

#1 The world feels static

#2 There's quite no such thing as exploration in TOR

#3 The planets are divided in too many zones

About #1 First they need to add movement to the NPC and static mobs. Create patterns. Then the lack of things like day/night cycles does not help either. There's no feeling at all the time is passing.

#2 The planets aren't designed for exploration. You can certainly find a few chests of holocrons here and there but that's about it. There are way too non climbable slopes everywhere. And mosst of the time you have only one path from and too a destination. Our characters don't evolve in 3D either our force jump does not allows us to reach higher grounds and the jet packs are more like anvils than else.

#3 We can't even browse seamlessly the maps. It does not help to make the brain of the players they are indeed worlds. These are just zones linked one to the other.

For now realistic expectations would be improvements coming with new planets:

- Day/night cycles can be added more easily in new areas/planets. Ex: real dark nights and you get IR/night vision goggles.

- Adding NPC AI and patterns even tied with day/night cycles. Ex: some mobs only appear during the night.

- Adding critters, more world sounds, changing environments

- Designing seamless open world areas from scratch, even the maps

- Making 3d exploration: you could use your jetpacks, force powers, grappling hooks, climbing skills in these new zones

Now on top of all the above things like holocrons rotting in the open looks weird. They should be hidden from sight and detected by either force powers or high tech equipment only affordable by heroes like our characters. As much as artifacts nodes we can find in the middle of the road, that's kink of silly. Same thing for crystal nodes. These should be set in specific places that would fit the setting.

thumbs up

I recently fired up Age of Conan and the difference in mob AI is considerable. A typical camp of barbarians (Vanir if you have to know) has mobs moving from a campfire to getting up and walking the perimeter of the camp. Patrol mobs will walk paths that lead to the camps. Pull a mob close to others and they all come. This is good AI. The little world of the barbarian camp feels alive in it's own little way.

SWtOR camps are the exact opposite, for the most part. 3-4 party mobs standing in one area doing nothing. A lone patrol mob walking the corridors/roads. Pulling mobs close together doesn't guarantee a large pull.

This game has really taken a step back in this feature.

I closed the account because of that gameworld without soul and atmosphere, offering no adventure or exploration. I played 100+ hours but not ONCE felt I was in the galaxy far, far away. This just has the clinical, plastic taste of a high budget computer game all over it. Such a shame, shame, shame.

So a free to play game does things better than a six year 200+ million dollar game. Sounds about right when we're talking about SWTOR.

Not quite.

A game which started development in 2001, launched in April 2004, and then went free-to-play in 2011 . . . launched in 2004 with Day/Night cycles, smarter mob AI, and several other basic design features that a 2011/2012 SWTOR lacks.

That's putting it into perspective.

I recently fired up Age of Conan and the difference in mob AI is considerable. A typical camp of barbarians (Vanir if you have to know) has mobs moving from a campfire to getting up and walking the perimeter of the camp. Patrol mobs will walk paths that lead to the camps. Pull a mob close to others and they all come. This is good AI. The little world of the barbarian camp feels alive in it's own little way.

SWtOR camps are the exact opposite, for the most part. 3-4 party mobs standing in one area doing nothing. A lone patrol mob walking the corridors/roads. Pulling mobs close together doesn't guarantee a large pull.

This game has really taken a step back in this feature.

Yeah I think most people here would agree. Its hard to do though as I understand but really needs it. I want to feel that surprise when an NPC does something unexpected rather than exactly the same spells and tactics.

I don't think they have taken a step back though, just never took a step forward.