The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

I made the mistake of speccing pyro for the first time.

tbsly

I respecced Pyro a few days ago, I've been taking time to get a feel for it and was on the fence until last night. I managed to take down (1v1) a republic on my server that is generally considered to be very difficult to kill. He probably did not have his CDs up or something, but it was still nice to be able to do that much burst.

I still miss charge in Huttball, but for everything else I'm really enjoying Pyro.

Edited by Endur

tbh, Carolina Parakeet gives you the best of both worlds. good damage and good survivability. this is why i think it might ultimately get a nerf but bioware serously needs to change shield mechanics in pvp before it ever does get a nerf.

tbh, Carolina Parakeet gives you the best of both worlds. good damage and good survivability. this is why i think it might ultimately get a nerf but bioware serously needs to change shield mechanics in pvp before it ever does get a nerf.

People don't spec pyro for "good" Damage.

They spec pyro so the person on the other side of the computer they just killed is desperately searching for a non-existent combat-log to see what the hell just happened to them.

I also get more medals as a ST or Parakeet Hybrid atm than if I am full Pyro. Even though I do more DMG and kill more Targets.

Just gonna pop in and say, you're not doing Pyro right if that's the case :p

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/402/12medals.jpg/

It's easier getting medals as full-DPS while throwing out taunts whenever they're off CD - this is just called being a half-decent Powertech. A lot of full DPS tank-classes forgo their taunts entirely and just try to kill things, and they're single-minded thralls who don't understand team play.

It's easy to get the Guardian/Paladin medals as DPS (so long as you know what the hell you're doing), but conversely much harder to get Demolisher/Destroyer as tank or hybrid.

Edited by Mhak

I'm going to have to disagree with a lot of people in this thread...but here we go. Note: I am talking from a PvP standpoint and a Pyrotech was my first choice.

I first grew into Pyrotech when I made my PT and realized I did have a death machine. I could run circles around people while flaming them to death. However, I didn't like the rate that I was dying at and I was only good for 1v1. I could get 12 medals like on guy here with constant attacking and taunting, but I really only stand-out if we were playing team death match.

That is when I made the move to Carolina Parakeet. My DPS was perfect to me. My survivability sky rocketed. I thought I was now a better player all-around thanks to this build. (The thing you guys forget is that CP is a TANK build that can do DPS.)

PvP to me is not about killing 70 people and doing 300k damage a round or trying to get 10+ medals. (I average 8 per round.) It is all about winning. I get more awards and recognition for winning.

I can now guard my teammates in a crisis or any game-type where a certain player can change the tide (aka healers or my pocket DPS). Of course, jet Charge allowed me to get around much quicker to enemies, not just used for Huttball.

As a pyrotech, 2v1 was my nightmare. They would kill me easily. I was like a toy. With CP, I could keep four guys on me and kill at least one. I became a distraction for the opponent. They wanted to kill me. Well I think I did a good job of distracting :p.

The true point I am trying to make is what type of player are you? Depending on that can determine what class is better, to you; and to me, CP is much better.

Oh right, entirely. So you play to "win." Apparently I don't because high damage/kills doesn't contribute to my team winning, or something? Because killing lots of people which means they in turn can't kill your teammates which in turn means your team can capture objectives, score in huttball, or plant bombs really contributes in no way, shape, or form to your team winning a match?

Right, so nobody should get high amounts of damage in PvP. Everybody should just heal, and guard other players. Damage is irrelevant in PvP and if you do lots of it, it means you aren't contributing.

Do you hear yourself? More importantly, do you *believe* yourself? I help my team win by killing the enemy team. Are you implying that damage and all those kills (and the most protection points out of everybody in that match on both sides) did not, in fact, help my team?

I agree with you that everybody should play according to their preferences, 100% spot on. But I'm also aware that your team needs everything to win - tanks, healers, and killers. Just because you like CP, it makes no sense to say a full Pyro isn't "playing to win" just because they get high kills and damage. Especially when I usually get more protection than CPs as full Pyro while tripling their damage at the same time.

Edited by Mhak

As a pyrotech, 2v1 was my nightmare. They would kill me easily. I was like a toy. With CP, I could keep four guys on me and kill at least one. I became a distraction for the opponent. They wanted to kill me. Well I think I did a good job of distracting :p. .

I was honestly trying to follow you, but then I got to this. Nope. You did not kill 1 guy in a 4v1 unless the players are horrendously bad, while being fresh 50s, and you're a full BM. Sorry, they'll be doing about 4x the damage you are, have 4x the cc's approxiametly, and 1 is probably a healer.

More over, there's no way you did it consistantly. I even say you killing 1 in a 2v1 consistantly means you are playing some of the worst PvP'rs. PvP does have some skill in it, but it's still very much a numbers game, and unless you're jumping one guy at half health, there's no reason for even 1 to die in a 2v1, let alone a 4v1.

pyro's damage is better than CP or even AP, however they are the squishiest spec in the game. that, and pryos damage is nothing special compared to the other classes. I tend to use it in wzs mostly because i can use it in pve too.

however, its style is kinda fun in pve.

Edited by Ryotknife

pyro's damage is better than CP or even AP, however they are the squishiest spec in the game. that, and pryos damage is nothing special compared to the other classes. I tend to use it in wzs mostly because i can use it in pve too.

however, its style is kinda fun in pve.

Pyros are pretty much the least squishy of all the DPS centered classes (other then Marauder and maybe Jugg) and have incredible Mobility to boot. They can play at close range, mid range, or long range unlike a lot of classes. On top of that, they have a grapple, which is incredibly useful. I know you'll counter with other classes have a charge, but a grapple is much more useful, since you can yank someone into your group, or peel them off your healer, yank them into a fire pit, or into a pit so they can't attack people they were attacking, and more uses.

Anyway, Pyro's damage is special in the way that basically everything is instant cast, yet it's not localized to 1 range (close/mid/long). You think about other classes like Mercs, Sorcs, Operatives, Assassins, and Juggernauts, you'll see they are great a certain range, but once you get in a area they don't particularly like, their flaws show. Pyro's can be effective from any range, which is a huge boost.

Anyway, what I'm getting at is Pyro's are very versatile, while also being able to keep up well with damage. Some classes can do better and have more versatility, but are harder to play (certain Maruader and Assassin builds can really destroy, but you have got to know what you are doing).

Pyros are pretty much the least squishy of all the DPS centered classes (other then Marauder and maybe Jugg)

I disagree pyrotech specced powertechs are the squishiest class in the game hands down, every other class in the game has much better defensive cooldowns in this game and the armor difference between light, medium and heavy does not make a difference when people are wearing full pvp/rakata gear. We only have kolto overload and energy shield which are shared with mercs, who also have a knock back, a extra stacking shield from talents and heals.

Juggs have a improved blade ward, endure pain + talented unleash which is a mini kolto overload that's instant.

Marauders have force camouflage, undying rage, blade ward and cloak of pain which is a better energy shield that lasts twice as long and deals damage to attackers.

Snipers have a knockback, ballistic shield, shield probe and evasion.

Operatives have evasion, heals, shield probe and cloaking screen.

Sith assassins have deflection, force cloak and force shroud.

I dont even want to mention inquisitors. I'am sure you get the picture now, every single advanced class has better defensive cooldowns than us, being able to attack from range does not make up for that considering the main part of the spec requires you to be in melee range.

If you play a server that has very geared pvpers that are not stupid you would realise that we are the squishiest advanced class if not specced into tanking.

Edited by joegt

I disagree pyrotech specced powertechs are the squishiest class in the game hands down, every other class in the game has much better defensive cooldowns in this game and the armor difference between light, medium and heavy does not make a difference when people are wearing full pvp/rakata gear. We only have kolto overload and energy shield which are shared with mercs, who also have a knock back, a extra stacking shield from talents and heals.

Juggs have a improved blade ward, endure pain + talented unleash which is a mini kolto overload that's instant.

Marauders have force camouflage, undying rage, blade ward and cloak of pain which is a better energy shield that lasts twice as long and deals damage to attackers.

Snipers have a knockback, ballistic shield, shield probe and evasion.

Operatives have evasion, heals, shield probe and cloaking screen.

Sith assassins have deflection, force cloak and force shroud.

I dont even want to mention inquisitors. I'am sure you get the picture now, every single advanced class has better defensive cooldowns than us, being able to attack from range does not make up for that considering the main part of the spec requires you to be in melee range.

If you play a server that has very geared pvpers that are not stupid you would realise that we are the squishiest advanced class if not specced into tanking.

Armor is worth much more then you are saying. It cuts into all kinetic and energy damage, and we get at least 15% more mitigation compared to a sorc or sin. About 7/8% compared to a medium armor. Also, on the merc we are talking DPS class, and a DPS class isn't going to spec 11 points into healing tree just to get immune to stun while ES is up.

Knockback is highly overrated with how many charges and pulls there are in this game, on top of that, all DPS classes have a ranged ability or 2 they can use until they are back on top of their target. The only knockback that is a good get away is a spec'd overload which roots them on knockback.

Shield Probe absorbs a small amount of damage (I think it's MAYBE 4k on my operative, never fully tested it, I know I've never seen it absorb more then 3 attacks), while shroud and cloaking screen are good get aways, they can be broken easily with stealth scan, aoe, or dot.

You also forgot to mention we have Carbonize, which is a great ability, and improves survivability nicely.

Other then Marauder and Juggernaut, it's very debatable if we have less survivability then a sniper/operative/sin/sorc. A sorc fully spec'd for survivability isn't going to be a DPS spec, so don't bring that up. We are talking about the common DPS specs, not including all the extra stuff you could get for survivability but lowers your DPS. We have a lot of survivability that is passive, and really only rely on 1 ability, which is energy rebounder, where as other classes (again not including marauders and juggs) are much more talent based (especially sorc).

From the defensive side, IMHO, i think that any pvp spec of PT has a little problem.

You must choose wisely your battle and who engage. Because one "defensive" ability that the PT doesn't have is an emergency flee from combat.

How many times you understood that you cound't win a fight (1v1, 1vmultiple, ecc...) and managed to escape safely?

Sorc can cc + force speede, assassin/operative can use istant stealth (of course you can prevent this).

I don't count Carbonize and the 4sec stun, because if the opponent has it's CC breaker ready , nothing changes.

Am i wronge?

PS:Knockback could be a defensive ability only in Huttball...i think.

Edited by Zaganna