LFG - Gear check

Drasill

Skillcheck sounds nice^^

But I'm against a Gearcheck Tool. It supports the "No Gear, No Group" Mentality.

Best example is (Dont hate me for this) WoW Wotlk:

I was away for half a year and reactivated my account.

My Druid was 50% Naxxramas geard und the rest was blue stuff.

I was together with two mates in a HC-Instance and got flamed for being undergeard.

The Argument was following:

"You are undergeared because you didnt have a Hearscore of "***" and we cant run this Instance because you are to weak"

We kicked him, and made the Instance in half the time : /

Skill+Movement>Gear

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Trion did an excellent job with gear checks in Rift. It works exceptionally well. Their entire LFD system could be implemented here as they've addressed many concerns and made a very smooth system. Where Rift hurts is it has original lore, so it doesn't really have a marketable "brand".

Yes, I still play Rift. No, I won't "go back" to Rift, as I enjoy both games. Seeing room for improvement does not equate to morbid dissatisfaction, or useless complaining.

Yes, Rift did it perfectly.

I object to a gear score... seriously object, but agree some sort of minimum gear "check" should be in place.

Rift implemented an additional stat called "Hit" that was required to join specific levels of dungeons. Don't kill me if the numbers aren't exact, but I remember it being something like 50 hit for tier 1 dungeons, 100 hit for tier 2 dungeons, and 200 hit for raids. Not enough and you would miss on bosses causing them to enrage.

Best thing was that it looked at your Hit score when queuing for dungeons with FLG. If you didn't have 100 hit, then the tier 2 dungeon was greyed out in the queue screen. Simple as that.

You could get to 100 hit pretty easily from regular dungeon drops or by buying crafted gear with the stat on them, so it helped the crafting community as well.

I really liked the system, and think SWTOR should and could implement something like that along with their LFG tool. For those already geared, you could add the stat to the Tionese/Columi/Rakata pieces. Then also add the stat to some new crafted gear and crafted mods as well as the daily gear you get on Ilum.

Just my two cents, keep the change.

Edited by RasputinTS

The biggest issue with gear score is the fact that people start requiring you to have the gear that comes out of the instance that you are trying to do. Good examples are WoW unfourtantly,

Here I am fully ToC 25 man raid geared with a couple pieces of badge gear from ICC, sorry you can't do ICC with us your under geared. Ok where do I get better gear at, oh well you need to run ICC to get better gear. Ok so let me run ICC with you so I can get the better gear, sorry your under geared. Wash rinse and repeat.

Even though I am at the gear level required to do ICC, I am still not allowed to go due to the fact that my GS is not high enough.

Sorry but that is exactly what having a gear score system leads to is requiring players to have the gear out of the instance they are trying to run. Especially a system that is viewable by the player base.

Gear Score =/= "System" Gear Check

Gear score is poisonous to the community.

With the Rift example, the system does a minimum check, you can either queue or not. Period. It's simply a single stat too, not an overall score people can compare.

Edited by RasputinTS

A lfg system needs to give us options.

For starters it needs to allow us to que or pick our group from a list of interested players.

I should be able to look at this list and pick the classes I want.

I should also be able to inspect their gear ans specs. There gear should not be given a score, these numbers can be manipulated. I want to see exactly what piece they have on.

Why should I be able to form my group with like this? It's MY group and if I want to be elitist it is my right.

I would also like to be able to rate players. If they are jerks I want to be able to remember who they are, and if they are awesome I want to remember them for them too. These rating should only be visible to me however.

Of course there is and option to be randomly auto grouped if that is your thing too.

The point is we NEED to have options to play how we want, weather is with random groups or self made groups that we tailor how we like.

Edited by harpuax

By the time you go through and look at all their individual pieces and such, they'll already be in a random group.

It's a nice idea, but probably not much more efficient that just spamming 50 chat for geared players.

If you're concerned with grouping with scrubs, then don't use the LFD tool, and get a good guild.

By the time you go through and look at all their individual pieces and such, they'll already be in a random group.

It's a nice idea, but probably not much more efficient that just spamming 50 chat for geared players.

If you're concerned with grouping with scrubs, then don't use the LFD tool, and get a good guild.

If I want to waste that time it is my problem. I don't think it would take more than a few seconds to quickly scan their paperdoll. Again this is an OPTION that you can use if you want or just ignore, no one forces you to use it.

The instant someone asks for a gear check is the same instant I withdraw my offer to join that group.

I'm playing a game, not applying for a freaking job.

Good. You are exactly the type of person we don;t want in the group. Enjoy walking around in your greens RPing.

I personally object to Gear Score systems.

For example, let's say that you've acquired THE best of set Blue grade gear for your specific class and Talent spec. Since refining your Blue gear, you've started to come across some Purple pieces. However the Purple pieces don't have the exact stat spreads that you're looking for. If you were to take and equip those pieces, then your net effectiveness would decrease. Thus you continue to use your Blue pieces until the right Purple pieces come along.

Under a Gear Score system, the player in the example SHOULD instantly discard their perfectly picked Blue gear for average performance Purple gear since the Purple will have a high Gear Score. To be honest, that's moronic. Why should my dps class be forced into gear that isn't the best for me simply to meet some kind of b.s. Gear Score metric? If I try to build effectively and ignore the Gear Scores, then I won't get picked. Or if I do play the Gear Score game, then I'm choosing to be weaker simply as a means of getting groups. That's a really messed up situation.

been playing mmos for few years never heard of this type of crap. is this more of that wow bs. I hope not, I don't like wow. What you are saying I agree with. I am a critical hit gunslinger, so I normally dont equip gear that don't add to my crit score. Have come across a few purples that boost stats I don't definitely need. If you get all your gear to match a specific thing like crit, power or absorbtion, it pays off. End game gear without mods I need will not get equiped by me.

If people use this as a basis for inviting people then I want more gameplay that I can do without a companion. I play mmo's because they don't end not because or people. I meet real people in the real world all day.

If I want to waste that time it is my problem. I don't think it would take more than a few seconds to quickly scan their paperdoll. Again this is an OPTION that you can use if you want or just ignore, no one forces you to use it.

I'm not saying you can't play however you want, to each his own. Just that the developers likely won't implement such a system.

The instant someone asks for a gear check is the same instant I withdraw my offer to join that group.

I'm playing a game, not applying for a freaking job.

Let me clarify why your attitude is incredibly selfish and give pugs a bad name.

If YOU show up prepared and properly geared for a flashpoint or Operation, you will be contributing to the success of it in a meaningful way.

On the other hand if YOU show up for it hoping the other people in your group are going to carry your undergeared and lazy butt through the encounter then yeah I would boot you out in a heartbeat.

Do you really think it's enjoyable for others to work harder because your unwilling to pick up the slack?

And if you come prepared.... well then there's nothing to worry about right?

FYI gear checks existed long before LFD was in place. They existed back in EQ1 which was the first MMO I played.

Bioware can make an option so all of you terrified of gear checks can group with each other. Have fun.

Edited by grueber

Let me clarify why your attitude is incredibly selfish and give pugs a bad name.

If YOU show up prepared and properly geared for a flashpoint or Operation, you will be contributing to the success of it in a meaningful way.

On the other hand if YOU show up for it hoping the other people in your group are going to carry your undergeared and lazy butt through the encounter then yeah I would boot you out in a heartbeat.

Do you really think it's enjoyable for others to work harder because your unwilling to pick up the slack?

And if you come prepared.... well then there's nothing to worry about right?

FYI gear checks existed long before LFD was in place. They existed back in EQ1 which was the first MMO I played.

Bioware can make an option so all of you terrified of gear checks can group with each other. Have fun.

I would feel the same way whether it was my gear you wanted to judge or someone else's.

It's not very smart to assume that someone applying is in all greens, or even any. It's almost impossible to get to 50 without tripping over at least blue gear, if not modded oranges.

Also, it's part of the fun to see if you can collectively overcome the challenge of an instance and not try to calculate, in advance, whether or not you'll succeed. That is boring to me. It's like saying "OK, we've figured out we're going to win. Now let's go through the motions."

I would feel the same way whether it was my gear you wanted to judge or someone else's.

It's not very smart to assume that someone applying is in all greens, or even any. It's almost impossible to get to 50 without tripping over at least blue gear, if not modded oranges.

Also, it's part of the fun to see if you can collectively overcome the challenge of an instance and not try to calculate, in advance, whether or not you'll succeed. That is boring to me. It's like saying "OK, we've figured out we're going to win. Now let's go through the motions."

If you think it's fun dragging around undergeared players through instances then go right ahead. Let that option be open to you.

Grouping is a team activity. If you want people on your team that are not willing to be prepared that's your prerogative.

That you consider it "selfish" to expect people to show up prepared... well that speaks for itself.

Edited by grueber

So just to play devils advocate. You don't know any boss strats before you enter and new instance?

No gear check, it gives tools to people that have superiority complexes.

PUGs are PUGs if you want to run a well organised flashpoint or OP do it through your guild.

I can manually look at someones gear and think they are a noob or a program and look at someones gear and tell they are a noob, either way, I'll find out if they are a noob, this owuld just make it easier.

If you think it's fun dragging around undergeared players through instances then go right ahead. Let that option be open to you.

Grouping is a team activity. If you want people on your team that are not willing to be prepared that's your prerogative.

I think your erring by assuming that 'not wanting to be inspected' is the same as 'not willing to be prepared'.

I refuse to accept someone else's judgment over what is sufficiently geared vs my own. And I am willing to extend that courtesy to any who wish to join my group.

This notion that there hundreds of level 50's are running around in nothing but greens is a silly one, particularly in TOR where acquiring blues and oranges is unavoidable via simply doing quests.

The biggest issue with gear score is the fact that people start requiring you to have the gear that comes out of the instance that you are trying to do. Good examples are WoW unfourtantly,

Here I am fully ToC 25 man raid geared with a couple pieces of badge gear from ICC, sorry you can't do ICC with us your under geared. Ok where do I get better gear at, oh well you need to run ICC to get better gear. Ok so let me run ICC with you so I can get the better gear, sorry your under geared. Wash rinse and repeat.

Even though I am at the gear level required to do ICC, I am still not allowed to go due to the fact that my GS is not high enough.

Sorry but that is exactly what having a gear score system leads to is requiring players to have the gear out of the instance they are trying to run. Especially a system that is viewable by the player base.

This

I absolutely hated GS for this very reason, why in the heck do i need to be GS 6500 to run ToC 25. That was seriously happening on my server, they were requiring ppl to be ICC geared to run ToC and 99% of the time the leader was undergeared looking for a run thru.

I'm okay with a "System Gear Score", which would basically tell those who want to do something they should work towards bettering themselves first. If there's a Gear Score that people can see, it leads to douchebaggery.

In general, the best part of the "System Gear Score" is that there is no need to be anal about their gear, they're good enough to complete the Mission and THAT is what's important.