Poll: Is it true that only 5% have fps issues!!??

Sorrowsongg

Hi,

Bioware has stated in interviews that its only a small sample of the players that experience FPS issues and that most of them suffer low FPS due to having outdated riggs.

In order to understand this better I have made a fairly large poll so we can see what % of players experience different types of FPS issues and what type of riggs they have.

Here is the link:

http://kwiksurveys.com/online-survey.php?surveyID=LJJJLO_e810c71b

Results of this poll will be published on 26/2 2012 here in this original post on the general forum.

UPDATE 2012-02-15 08:00 CET

Disclaimer regarding results:

I know that the results/views of this poll might not be inline with the general populations results/views. However as you can see below such a high amount of people stating they have medium to large FPS issues would most likely indicate that more than than the 5% officially announced people indeed experience FPS that they themselves categorize as problematic to their gamepley. Also Im fairly confident that if I would make exactly the same poll on RIFT forums or DCUO forums the numbers of people having issues would be smaller..

So results so far (almost 700 participants):

44,26% of people state that they have medium to large issues with FPS.

The top ways to get better FPS looks to be:

SSD: 22% have medium to large FPS issues when running an SSD. This is almost half of the total number.

Average computer in poll is fairly high spec. Most used parts are:

i7

8GB RAM

7200 RPM drive

1.5-3GB VRAM

Disclaimer: English is not my first language and yes there are many ways to make a poll and mine is not pretending to be perfect!

Disclaimer 2: The forum sample might not be representative for the overall gaming population of SWTOR, but these days with social media accessable almost everywhere and generally used by more and more people I believe the sample of forum people is more in line with the general population of gamers than it has been in the past.

So....*drumroll* start the voting and let the truth be told!

Cheers

//Kamasuthra

Edited by Sorrowsongg

• Replies 226
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have a good computer, and I don't have fps problems.

I would suspect that someone that doesn't have a good computer would have FPS problems.

I have a 4+ year old computer. Only 2 gigs of ram and an Nvidia 9800 GT Vid card. 2.2 Dual core AMD to boot. Ya, almost minimum specs. To top it off I have heating issues and am running with an open tower. With that said, one night I spilled about 30 oz's of rum and coke into my tower. It hit the motherboard, Vid card, memory and part of the hard drive. I let it dry out for a few days and it finally fired up.

Just a basic outlay of "my" system. I rarely have FPS issues. When I do, it is when a lot of AOE is going off in PVP. PVE I am fine, even a lot of people in PVP I am fine, though when the derp derp AOE hitting for 100 a pop thinking they are helping starts in, well then my FPS goes down hill bad.

Not saying this is BW's fault, na, I need a better system. I just figured I would give some back story in regards to what I run and still run SW fine for the most part.

EDIT: And I voted.

Edited by Ortof

and what does the "fps issues" include?

for me, having 60-110 fps outside on planets but then having ~20-30 fps in warzones (civil war is the worst) is fps issues to me.

6950 unlocked @910

phenom2 x4 965 BE @3,9

8g 1600 ram

Edited by Fentz

Hi,

Bioware has stated in interviews that its only a small sample of the players that experience FPS issues and that most of them suffer low FPS due to having outdated riggs.

In order to understand this better I have made a fairly large poll so we can see what % of players experience different types of FPS issues and what type of riggs they have.

Here is the link:

http://kwiksurveys.com/online-survey.php?surveyID=LJJJLO_e810c71b

Results of this poll will be published on 26/2 2012 in a thread here on the general forum.

Please go ahead and vote in this poll both if you have or dont have issues. The more voters the better sample size we get and the better we can understand how large an issue this is / is not.

Disclaimer: English is not my first language and yes there are many ways to make a poll and mine is not pretending to be perfect!

Disclaimer 2: The forum sample might not be representative for the overall gaming population of SWTOR, but these days with social media accessable almost everywhere and generally used by more and more people I believe the sample of forum people is more in line with the general population of gamers than it has been in the past.

So....*drumroll* start the voting and let the truth be told!

Cheers

//Kamasuthra

nice idea, just took part

results in 2 weeks ? omg ill miss them for sure .. post them here in this thread please, ill tag it ^^

My FPS dropped only on the fleet. I have a good computer (i5 2500, 8gb ram, hd 6950 2gb gpu) and everywhere else it ran at around 100 fps, but on fleet it dropped to around 30-40fps.

That can be fixed however by despawning companions when you enter fleet. There is no need for companions on the fleet. On my server, fleet has around 250 at a time, but with companions out it may as well be 500.

Edited by Kandorr

A poll on the forums cannot confirm or deny that statement. Though I do like the questions in the poll. It should really give a good overview on the systems and which are problematic. I didn't see a question about the os though.

Edit: Oh and also one about external tweaks - I'm using nvidia inspector to get much better AA and textures but it also lowers my fps by a lot.

Edited by Safiir

and what does the "fps issues" include?

for me, having 60-110 fps outside on planets but then having ~20-30 fps in warzones (civil war is the worst) is fps issues to me.

6950 unlocked @910

phenom2 965BE @3,9

8g 1600 ram

for sure there are issues, but if you dont fall under 15fps, the game is at least playable.

its different if you try it with 1-7 fps in warzones ...

saying "fps issue" is to broad. BW stated that 5% have fps issues do to out dated rigs. Which is true. They also said "they are aware of performance issues, they would call bugs". Memory leaks for example. Should change the topic to "fps in fleet,wz's and illum"

This.

well problem is there are fps issues and fps issues, most people just dont understand that.

during normal gameplay, i have zero fps issues worth mention. i run X3 720BE clocked 3200 and 6870 for videocard with 8 gigs of ram (which i updated just recently since it really helps with alttabing).

my wife runs same processor but inferior video card she still manages just well on settings maxed.

large scale PvP is absolutely another issue. you come to Ilum at 12pm GMT - you stuck with slideshow no matter how good your machine is. Is this an fps issue? Well, technically yes but technically no, its engine issue, client/server talk issue.

I bet way more then 5 percent play PvP, but what they do experience is not a real fps issue, its just a bad engine chosen for the specific task.

Survey Done.

I have an ok-ish machine and find no FPS issues in PvE other than when I'm opening things like the character window.

PvP is another matter, Warzones I get a slight drop but mass fights at Ilum are less than 5fps.

I'm starting to think all these people who are in the "I have no FPS issues" have never been in a large fight on Ilum, because almost every fight pretty much every player in our op's group makes a comment about the FPS.

i'm getting 1 fps on 30vs30 battles on ilum.

i5 3.2 ghz, radeon hd 5770 4gb ddr3. Well my memory is a bit low but 1 fps is not i deserve i suppose.

edit: actually i dont care about ilum, i spend max, half an hour there, what really pisses me off is the sudden dps drops on wz's. i'm usually getting decent fps ( decent i mean playable like 30- 40 fps) on huttball, but when i'm on civil war and voidstar ( especially civil war) my fps suddenly drops to 5 and sometimes it doesnt fixes itself back up till the end of the wz. I hit alt-tab sometimes it fixes it for a while. Then it happens again. There's something with a particular skill graphic that triggers this fps drop on my system. ( talking about an animation of a skill) Dunno what it is ofcourse in that chaos.

Edited by Boheiman

saying "fps issue" is to broad. BW stated that 5% have fps issues do to out dated rigs. Which is true. They also said "they are aware of performance issues, they would call bugs". Memory leaks for example. Should change the topic to "fps in fleet,wz's and illum"

Im actually asking for average FPS in all of these locations in the poll

I filled it out.

I have no FPS issues since I bought my newer computer.

Great, keep going folks. As I will keep this poll open for 2 weeks ideally we would want 10K participants. Then I could really digg down on if certain combos of GFX/processors/RAM etc are more frequently having issues.

This will help both the comunity and Bioware.

Cheers

//Kamasuthra