Real Open World PVP Video. What It's Supposed To Be Like.

Mcskeet

Mythic created Dark Age of Camelot, which has won almost every mmo pvp award in the 11 years it's been running. Electronic Arts bought out the game 2 years ago, and turned it over to Bioware.

Bioware's inspiration for open world pvp " Ilum " etc. came from this game. They have the material right in front of them, so why can't they achieve this?

A few reasons: Player expecations, UI is too broken to be able to do this yet, and the game's not efficient enough to be able to handle this many people on screen.

But are they eventually going to get the game in this kind of shape? If they do, they will rule the MMO world.

World "pvp" in a nutshell: Nil-skill zerging that drastically favours ranged & aoe classes and teams on the friendly side of faction imbalances. Apparently, this is a more fun and more skillful form of pvp compared to "carebear" instanced pvp where teams have equal numbers and individual skill can turn the tide of a battle.

Still no word on why DAOC a.k.a. the-most-fun-game-ever died years ago, yet WoW with it's totally lame, carebear instanced pvp is still going strong.

yea a shame really that most people nowadays think that PVP is only viable in a safe secure area with fixed player count, carebear style.

really hope someone buy the license and make a daoc 2 classic (with SI expansion incl.), can't really trust mythic to do it since they became so incompetent its not even funny.

zerg vs zerg fun fun

Yeah I prefer smaller groups around 20 vs 20 is max for fun IMO unless you are an AOE nuke class. I used to play the Ranger or whatever the Hib archer class was called. Tons of fun and in retrospect I gave up on that game WAYYY to early (also travelled and chased girls a ton and what not so it's not like I didn't actually enjoy life MORE but still). However, I do have fond memories of that game and wish I had played it a bit more.

Small group vs small group is IMO the best most balanced open world action. In those cases all classes can shine not just range and AOE nukers. Once you get beyond 20 on a side it just comes down to who has the best range DPS and heals and melee becomes worthless. That said, just because I'm not a fan doesn't mean there shouldn't be the functional equivalent for those who like big zerg vs big zerg action.

Still no word on why DAOC a.k.a. the-most-fun-game-ever died years ago, yet WoW with it's totally lame, carebear instanced pvp is still going strong.

ummm it's called marketing

WoW advertised in cinemas, on television, it appealed to little kiddies everywhere.

Edited by Evuke

i hope they do not make that. Giant zerg fest is terrible.

That kind of zerg-fest was mostly once or twice a week when one realm would try to take the others relic. Most of the time, it was Full group roaming, which was 8 players. These groups consisted of 1-2 tanks, 2 healers, 2 cc's, and dps.

In 8 man roaming groups, you have a HUGE area between all 3 realms, and had to go find people to fight. Depending on which realm you were fighting, you would have a certain party build of cc/tanks. For example, there were 36 different classes in that game, each realm with their own unique style, and advantages. For example, Albion was a balanced realm, Hibernia was caster friendly, and Midgard had the heaviest tanks. So if you were going to roam in Hib-land you would build your group with mostly tanks and melee dps. Against midgard, you needed heavy cc and ranged dps.

Stealthers was a whole nother zipcode. You could go solo, or with a full group and camp bridges, waiting for a visi group to pass by and gank them. The sieges against keeps could last for hours, because you had to knock down 2 doors and kill an npc captain, or champion as its called in swtor. With 100 or so people guarding the keep, shooting down from the walls, it could get tricky. You also had classes that could climb walls and try to temporarily clear off the top wall so that the defenders wouldn't be dropping oil on the Ram that you are using to knock down the door.

DAoC had an excellent PvP / RvR (Realm vs. Realm) framework, but people seriously view that game with rose-tinted glasses.

Trials of Atlantis made it so the best PvE farmers (artifacts) dominated in RvR. AoE classes spamming control points were stupidly overpowered. Lag-shrooms were the dumbest thing ever created. Warriors were essentially useless in sieges (and horribly underpowered outside of protecting a healer).

That said, the open-world RvR framework completely blows SWTOR away. There was something exhilarating about running with a small group in the frontier areas. The reward system (realm ranks, etc) were awesome. Darkness Falls was a very cool concept. SWTOR could learn a lot from DAoC in this respect while still leaving the rest of their game intact.

I don't think Ilum borrows much from DAoC at all. It seems like a watered down version of Wintergrasp from WoW.

Never played DAOC but this looks exactly like the Guild vs. Guild pvp we had in EQ,

i'm sorry but zerging just isnt fun.

Looking at this video it seems that both Alterac Valley and Planetside did it better than DAOC.

Me either....

Funny story though, I was touring the Mythic studio in Fairfax VA, and met the lead designer of DAoC. He asked me what I thought of the game... told him I'd never played it and probably never would. He got kind of a sad look on his face...

Me either....

Funny story though, I was touring the Mythic studio in Fairfax VA, and met the lead designer of DAoC. He asked me what I thought of the game... told him I'd never played it and probably never would. He got kind of a sad look on his face...

wow your a total ******......

DAoC had an excellent PvP / RvR (Realm vs. Realm) framework, but people seriously view that game with rose-tinted glasses.

Trials of Atlantis made it so the best PvE farmers (artifacts) dominated in RvR. AoE classes spamming control points were stupidly overpowered. Lag-shrooms were the dumbest thing ever created. Warriors were essentially useless in sieges (and horribly underpowered outside of protecting a healer).

That said, the open-world RvR framework completely blows SWTOR away. There was something exhilarating about running with a small group in the frontier areas. The reward system (realm ranks, etc) were awesome. Darkness Falls was a very cool concept. SWTOR could learn a lot from DAoC in this respect while still leaving the rest of their game intact.

I don't think Ilum borrows much from DAoC at all. It seems like a watered down version of Wintergrasp from WoW.

Toa made it tough when it first came out, but the past few years have made it easy. Gear is easily come by now, so everyone has the gear. Much like Champion gear.

Bioware bought the rights to DAOC, like Michael Jackson bought the rights to the Beatles music, doesn't mean Michael Jackson is a Beatle.

GW2 is going to be the closest thing to DAOC 2 you will ever see with their WVW

The development team at Bioware doesn't know how to do world pvp. As evidenced by Ilum. The area they developed for focused pvp had no defensible positions, no choke points, no places for mass battles other than at either base.

Just hang out in SWTOR till GW2. we are 8 days away from the GW2 press beta, and the announcements are going to blow your mind to the amazing that is coming.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.