The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

Give me a legitimate reason to NOT have a LFD tool.

EvilTrollGuy

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If there is all these people spamming LFG how come none of them are grouping up?

I do not see how you come to the forums and say you spent 2 hours lfg and didn't accept any of the groups being spammed in chat.

If no one is spamming then maybe most aren't looking for group because the following.

They prefer to play solo.

They are in a guild and run group content with a guild.

I picture all the pro LFG people standing in a room saying they wish they had people to do stuff with and then they all leave by themselves.

Edited by Amiracle

That sounds like more of a low pop server issue than a grouping issue.

Indeed. I'm not saying that the current LFG system doesn't need work, I just mean that fixing low-population servers (maybe merging is a good idea), global LFG chat channel etc. would be a better option than going straight into an automated system that does the grouping for you.

Perhaps. It could also of been done as a precursor to the LFG. We'll never know.

I'm betting it was done for that reason among others.

Still, I'd argue that it's implimentation would not do much to a community that is already mostly non-existant.

To sum it up:

a LFD tool doesn't hinder people in making friends, the lack of social activities in the current state of the game, however, does. Besides you'll also be playing with 'doucebags' on your own server, a LFD tool will not make this worse, we'll instead be playing more and thus be seeing them more.

This guys is 100% right. however it is hard to fight prejudices. The good news is that Bioware agrees and announced a cross server LFG tool.

Deal with it people.

If there is all these people spamming LFG how come none of them are grouping up?

I do not see how you come to the forums and say you spent 2 hours lfg and didn't accept any of the groups being spammed in chat.

If no one is spamming then maybe most aren't looking for group because the following.

They prefer to play solo.

They are in a guild and run group content with a guild.

I picture all the pro LFG people standing in a room saying they wish they had people to do stuff with and then they all leave by themselves.

The problem is some of them deliberately avoid joining these spam groups or use the current LFG tool to validate their point. The other part is a lot of people just don't know about the current tool and/or have misconceptions with what it can and cannot do. You saw it in this thread about the guy only thinking he'll see the people in Fleet when checking who's LFG.

I have logged in seen people asking for members for their group in fleet. I open up the who window and type lfg in the search box. I sort by level and see one or 2 people who are flagged LFG that the person can invite on other planets or in a warzone. I inform them, they say thanks and move on. YET after ALL that people still refuse to use the tool.

I'm betting it was done for that reason among others.

Still, I'd argue that it's implimentation would not do much to a community that is already mostly non-existant according to me.

I know some people who are in guilds that have a different experience.

I am 50, did my first group stuff a few days ago.

I wasn't lfg, I wasn't flagged lfg, and yet I managed to find myself in a group and we had tons of fun doing heroics and knocking of quests for each other.

I was even asked to join a guild.

I wasn't lfg, I wasn't flagged lfg, and yet I managed to find myself in a group and we had tons of fun doing heroics and knocking of quests for each other.

Theres a difference between heroics and FPs or am I misunderstanding you?

Just spent the last hour in Fleet w8 for a simple BT HM grp, even tried forming one.

Try telling me that my server doesn't need a LFG tool even just a server one and not cross server.

P.s I know how hard it can be to form grps thats why I always try to form one myself first, it's not a hard thing to do if ppl are about

I'll give you a few, but first, let me define a word that many do not understand because other games have sucked it completely out of their game and people have forgotten the meaning:

com·mu·ni·ty

   [kuh-myoo-ni-tee]

noun, plural -ties.

a social group of any size whose members reside in a specific locality, share government, and often have a common cultural and historical heritage.

a locality inhabited by such a group.

a social, religious, occupational, or other group sharing common characteristics or interests and perceived or perceiving itself as distinct in some respect from the larger society within which it exists (usually preceded by the ): the business community; the community of scholars.

a group of associated nations sharing common interests or a common heritage: the community of Western Europe.

Back before the LFD finder came into existence, playing MMO's required you to interact with people on your home server. To actually do anything (other than solo quest) you had to establish a rapport (connection) with individuals in your COMMUNITY (this may be hard to understand still for some of you, but the community i refer to here is YOUR SERVER COMMUNITY), you had to join a guild or make a large number of friends and add them to your friends list.

For those of us that work long hours and have limited game time we had to find a guild and friends that were active during our normal play times.

Did this take effort? Yes.

Was it impossible to find people that played the same time as me? No.

Did I find this mythical guild and have friends on my friends list that played the same times as me? Yes.

Did it take work? Absolutely.

Once we established a camaraderie in game with like minded people from our server community we filled our guilds and friends lists so we could do the things we wanted to do when we wanted to do them with people we trusted. Sometimes though, we needed to invite strangers into our groups, or we had to just form a party completely from trade chat filled with people you were not familiar with.

If we came across a stranger that wasn't performing up to standards we would do everything in our power to help them play better and, if time permitted, helped them get the gear they needed to perform better and give constructive criticism. This garnered more in game friends.

When we met someone that was a griefer we would inform the server community through trade/global/general chat of the offenders name and what the offender did to warrant an ignore. This, in turn, would make it harder for griefers to get groups and they would end up having to play nice or switch servers. Once you said "so-and-so ninja looted such-and-such" in chat, most people would go ahead and /ignore that person to prevent having to suffer their griefing in future groups.

This is the community we speak of. One in which strangers help other strangers while making a friend at the same time. To become a close knit community.

With the implementation of the LFD cross server tool we have the following to look forward to:

Obnoxious criticism: Tank enters group, tells healer "you really suck dude. i refuse to pull until you leave the group". at which time the healer of course refuses and the group falls apart. back in que for another 20 minutes for the dps while the griefer tank gets insta ques to continue griefing.

Excessive griefing: Heavy Armor wearer ninjas every piece of armor by rolling need including cloth, people training their party members, and people just being all around rude and obnoxious with ignorant statements about people in the group.

Vote to kick exploits: In group with 3 guild mates, do a whole dungeon up to the last boss, but their guildy needs the same item as you off the last boss. You get booted and they invite their guildy, or they just constantly boot the 4th player for lulz and cause that 4th player another 20 minute wait on another que.

There will be many people that will que and get a group and expect to be carried because either their gear doesnt meet the requirements, underskilled, they don't know the fights or just lazy and expect the group to carry them.

There will be no repercussions for peoples actions, so the same rudeness we see from the safety of anonymous internet trolls will run rampant in the game. /ignore will mean nothing, and our only real power to police our own community will be taken away. Because they have that LFD button and can group anytime they want with people they will never see again.

It will also make it almost impossible to meet new people on your home server, because no one will want to pug a group on your home server because why do that when all you have do is click a button and wait.

This is but a few things i experienced in wow with LFD.

TL/DR: this is exactly what im talking about. you are the people that LFD is for, because its too hard to put a bit of effort into something simple like reading a post or forming a group.

If you have a LFG tool then everyone will just stand in the fleet like in WoW.

OH WAIT, THAT'S EXACTLY WHAT'S HAPPENING NOW!!! And to make matters worse, people are standing in fleets AND spamming LFG!!!

In all seriousness, anti-LFG just want to punish you for not being a social butterfly in freakin' VIDEO GAME!

So in your case it wouldn't have mattered either way if there were a tool or not as you didn't use one.

I'm 50 also :eek:

Also fyi ..it's polite to make note when you change the text in someone's quote ;)

I'll give you a few, but first, let me define a word that many do not understand because other games have sucked it completely out of their game and people have forgotten the meaning:

com·mu·ni·ty

   [kuh-myoo-ni-tee]

noun, plural -ties.

a social group of any size whose members reside in a specific locality, share government, and often have a common cultural and historical heritage.

a locality inhabited by such a group.

a social, religious, occupational, or other group sharing common characteristics or interests and perceived or perceiving itself as distinct in some respect from the larger society within which it exists (usually preceded by the ): the business community; the community of scholars.

a group of associated nations sharing common interests or a common heritage: the community of Western Europe.

Back before the LFD finder came into existence, playing MMO's required you to interact with people on your home server. To actually do anything (other than solo quest) you had to establish a rapport (connection) with individuals in your COMMUNITY (this may be hard to understand still for some of you, but the community i refer to here is YOUR SERVER COMMUNITY), you had to join a guild or make a large number of friends and add them to your friends list.

For those of us that work long hours and have limited game time we had to find a guild and friends that were active during our normal play times.

Did this take effort? Yes.

Was it impossible to find people that played the same time as me? No.

Did I find this mythical guild and have friends on my friends list that played the same times as me? Yes.

Did it take work? Absolutely.

Once we established a camaraderie in game with like minded people from our server community we filled our guilds and friends lists so we could do the things we wanted to do when we wanted to do them with people we trusted. Sometimes though, we needed to invite strangers into our groups, or we had to just form a party completely from trade chat filled with people you were not familiar with.

If we came across a stranger that wasn't performing up to standards we would do everything in our power to help them play better and, if time permitted, helped them get the gear they needed to perform better and give constructive criticism. This garnered more in game friends.

When we met someone that was a griefer we would inform the server community through trade/global/general chat of the offenders name and what the offender did to warrant an ignore. This, in turn, would make it harder for griefers to get groups and they would end up having to play nice or switch servers. Once you said "so-and-so ninja looted such-and-such" in chat, most people would go ahead and /ignore that person to prevent having to suffer their griefing in future groups.

This is the community we speak of. One in which strangers help other strangers while making a friend at the same time. To become a close knit community.

With the implementation of the LFD cross server tool we have the following to look forward to:

Obnoxious criticism: Tank enters group, tells healer "you really suck dude. i refuse to pull until you leave the group". at which time the healer of course refuses and the group falls apart. back in que for another 20 minutes for the dps while the griefer tank gets insta ques to continue griefing.

Excessive griefing: Heavy Armor wearer ninjas every piece of armor by rolling need including cloth, people training their party members, and people just being all around rude and obnoxious with ignorant statements about people in the group.

Vote to kick exploits: In group with 3 guild mates, do a whole dungeon up to the last boss, but their guildy needs the same item as you off the last boss. You get booted and they invite their guildy, or they just constantly boot the 4th player for lulz and cause that 4th player another 20 minute wait on another que.

There will be many people that will que and get a group and expect to be carried because either their gear doesnt meet the requirements, underskilled, they don't know the fights or just lazy and expect the group to carry them.

There will be no repercussions for peoples actions, so the same rudeness we see from the safety of anonymous internet trolls will run rampant in the game. /ignore will mean nothing, and our only real power to police our own community will be taken away. Because they have that LFD button and can group anytime they want with people they will never see again.

It will also make it almost impossible to meet new people on your home server, because no one will want to pug a group on your home server because why do that when all you have do is click a button and wait.

This is but a few things i experienced in wow with LFD.

TL/DR: this is exactly what im talking about. you are the people that LFD is for, because its too hard to put a bit of effort into something simple like reading a post or forming a group.

There is no community in SWTOR. LFG tool won't change that. STOP LIVING IN THE PAST AND REMINISCING ABOUT ALL THESE EARLY 2000 MMOs THAT YOU PLAYED!!! Things have changed! People have changed! It's the ADHD generation... the "NOW" generation... the instant gratification generation. It's a video game; not a competition for being who is the most social.

Communities only exist within guilds in today's MMO.

Edited by xioix

Theres a difference between heroics and FPs or am I misunderstanding you?

Nope, there are tons of flashpoints going on my server. I see it in chat all the time.

But why do I need to do them?

If I don't raid then no point doing those to gear up. And sadly, you can skip flashpoints and jump right into raiding in this game. Which means most of the time you are in a guild and that pretty much stops people from going outside their guild to find a group.

There is allot more playing into people not grouping than its because of the tool.

There is no community in SWTOR. LFG tool won't change that. STOP LIVING IN THE PAST AND REMINISCING ABOUT ALL THESE EARLY 2000 MMOs THAT YOU PLAYED!!! Things have changed! People have changed! It's the ADHD generation... the "NOW" generation... the instant gratification generation. It's a video game; not a competition for being who is the most social.

Only if you let it.

X-server really does ruin accountability however I am all for a global same server LFG system.

When WoW introduced it it was great then slowly destroyed the feeling of the game, I must say being able to insta teleport to a dungeon was dumb, I think the fleet lay out is nice and mostly centered.

cross server just makes it so you can have a right to be a ****** in groups to many times have I seen this and so have most of my friends family and guild. so your first argument is null in most peoples pages.

So go play a game where its not about the server community where you have to behave or you get blacklisted. I.E. go back to WoW.

This game will be F2p by the summer. Funny how the servers are becoming emptier by the day but according to BW the player base is rapidly increasing lol. Funny how we don't need LFD tool but it currently takes an hour or more to form a FP group and then pray no one drops. Funny how this is the game that takes the least amount of players to form a full group(4) and it is the hardest game to form groups in atm but it "supposedly" has over 2mil subbed. Bewteen the blind fanboys and BW horrible progression model this game will be f2p no later than July of 2012. I mean honestly this game really sucks.

if you want instant gratification, why play a game that takes weeks of in game time to actually get anything done?

Server communities still exist. The server i am on actually has a healthy community.

A community is only as good as what you as an individual will put into it. If you put nothing into your community, i can see why you say it doesnt exist. Because you do not participate and will not take anything away.

This is the problem. But you are a minority.