Desktop Hardware Q&A

Veilshatter

Ok guys, I used to work in IT support several years back and I built this PC as a budget gaming rig but I'm of late a little out of touch with the latest hardware. It still stands me in pretty good stead as a desktop as most of my gaming has moved to consoles but I still play MMOs and RTS on it and until now it's done well for me running WoW and Empire/Napoleon:Total War maxed out with no frame-rate issues ever.

Intel Q6600 Processor

4GB Corsair DDR2 6400

nForce 620i Mobo

Geforce 8800 GTS 320

Running windows 7

I'm also in the dark ages with regards to resolution, my monitors only go to 1280x1024. nut even at this resolution with many options turned off the game runs poorly. I suspect this is due in the most part to my GFX card being well below par for modern games.

Now I was running 2 8800s in SLI but one of them gave up the ghost this year and started producing artefacts everywhere so I've had to ditch it. Until then This setup was coping surprisingly well with most things at the resolutions I asked of it.

My question is this: Best budget upgrade to enhace the performance of SWTOR?

At the moment it can become barely playable from time to time with huge frame rate freezes. I'm not going to shell on a whole new system as, frankly I don't have the funds and I only really see it being used for SWTOR in the forseeable future and that isn't going to get any drastic graphical overhauls any time soon.

I'm looking around at GFX cards on both sides of the ATI/Nvidia fence and I really want to spend as little as possible but have the game be playable, fine balance I know.

Thanks guys.

• Replies 819
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was wondering if this laptop will be able to play it to keep me happy till christmas, system is as follows:

celeron Dual-Core CPU T3500 @ 2.10GHz 2.09 Ghz

RAM 3GB

mobile intel 4 series express chipset family

mobile Intel GMA 4500M

Cheers

Can I run ultra max on this set up:

EVGA Nvidia GTX 460 1024MB GDDR5

AMD Phenom II Six Core 3.3 GHz

16 Gig of RAM

Windows 7 64 bit

Without a doubt, I am running everything on Max with a much weaker PC. I have a 6850 with a quad core 2.4 ghz 4 gigs of ram and averaging 35-40 fps, Really the fps swings anywhere from 30 fps all the way up to 65 or so , but rarely if ever does it dip under 30.

Been having trouble playing SWTOR even on low settings with my current computer (ancient) 32bit vista, nvidia 9800gt, and 2gb ram, amd 64 x2 duel core 5200+ 2.70GHz. I assume there is nothing i can do to it to help but if i am wrong plz correct me.

So my question is, being a budget of $600 dollar or less for a desktop anyone have any suggestions? I found this ibuypower deal (build it yourself setup thing) on walmart and was wondering would this play SWTOR, SMOOTHLY (important to me) in game aswell as pvp. I can't stand glitching and lag ghosting that is happening with my current rig.

# Processor

(AMD A6-3650 Quad Core Processor with Motherboard)

# Operating System

(Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium, 64-Bit Edition)

# Memory

(4 x 2GB = 8GB DDR3-1333 Gaming Grade Memory Module)

# Hard Drive

(500GB 7200RPM Hard Disk Drive)

# Graphics Card

(NVIDIA GT 520 1GB DDR3 PCI Express 2.0 Video Card)

or

AMD Radeon HD 6450 1GB GDDR5 PCI Express 2.1 Video Card

Thanks, Zeric

My question is this: Best budget upgrade to enhace the performance of SWTOR?

What kind of budget? Try taking a look at this:

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/fastest-graphics-card-radeon-geforce,3085.html

Right now I believe AMD cards handle SW:TOR better than Nvidia cards... for some reason Nvidia cards are being under utilized currently. AMD generally offers more bang for the buck, but Nvidia is nice if you really care about CUDA and PhysX (the vast majoritt of users won't).

If you're willing to spend as much as ~$150, an HD 6850 will max this game out. Your processor is still not terribly far behind in this day and age... CPU advancements are quite slow compared to GPUs.

Edited by DarthSiricus

Will this computer run SWTOR?

Processor:Intel Core i7-2600s 2nd generation(2,8 Ghz)

Memory: 8 Go( 2x4 Go)

Memory type: DDR3

Maximal memory:S/O

Hard drive:SATA, 1 To

Hard drive speed: 7200t/min

Operating system: Windows 7

Video Card: Radeon HD 6570

Please someone answer me!!!! Pm me if possible, but answer me!!!!

Edited by momoxmox

My framerate solo is ok. I run around 15-25 fps depending on what is going on. But tonight I tried my first PVP and I thought my eyes would bleed with the strobe light I was playing in.

I'm currently running a GeForce 8800 GT card. Yes, I'm aware its old, but its been a really good trooper for me.

My computer specs are:

AMD Athlon 64 X2 5400+ 2.8 ghz

4 gigs ram

XFX GeForce 8200 MCP Socket AM2+ Motherboard

Not sure if you need to know anything else, but if you do, just ask. I would really like to get away with just a video card. Money isn't exactly free flowing (especially this time of year) so if it is just a card, could you suggest an affordable one?

Thanks in advance for any help you can give.

I bought a GeForce 210 graphics card. My compiter has a PCI Express slot, but the card does not fit inside the narrow case of my pc when the card is inserted. It has an extra port on it that sticks out to the left of the card when you have it placed upright with the fan pointed up.

My computer has an integrated GeForce 9200, guessing it was built for a laptop originally and used to fit in the small case with an extra port to upgrade it later.

Have an Athlon II X2 255 Dual Core processor and 4GB DDR3.

It looks ike my PSU is only 220watts and the card I got needs 300watts. Does anyone know of a card that is as powerful as the Geforce 210 but is only 4 1/2 inches wide? My case is 4 3/4 wide so I need a PCI Express card that can fit and run with 220 watts or also a small psu in the 300watt range.

Help?

Also, would it hurt to just leave my case open on the one side if I can't find a small card and PSU so I can let them stick out a bit?

Not sure if you need to know anything else, but if you do, just ask. I would really like to get away with just a video card. Money isn't exactly free flowing (especially this time of year) so if it is just a card, could you suggest an affordable one?

I'll borrow the above link:

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/fastest-graphics-card-radeon-geforce,3085.html

Take a look at that, and check against prices you want to pay. Your CPU is a bit on the iffy side though, and you may not have many real upgrade options for it, but if you just want to look at GPUs, go ahead.

Also, would it hurt to just leave my case open on the one side if I can't find a small card and PSU so I can let them stick out a bit?

Not too much, what risk there would be would be the system tipping over, and something breaking, with a bit more dust in it, but it wouldn't exactly be a huge risk or anything.

I think you are more constrained by your PSU than anything else, I'd look for a way to upgrade it, then get an affordable card in a low profile.

Will this computer run SWTOR?

Processor:Intel Core i7-2600s 2nd generation(2,8 Ghz)

Video Card: Radeon HD 6570

Please someone answer me!!!! Pm me if possible, but answer me!!!!

Your graphics card sucks compared to your CPU.

Not exactly a problem that'll stop you from running, but it could lower your effective performance.

Edited by Colobulous

Specs are as follows.

Processor: Intel Core i7 2670QM (2.2GHz with turbo boost up to 3.1 GHz)

Ram: 8 GB DDR3

Graphics card: Geforce 1GB GT 525M with Optimus

Dell laptop. What setting will i be able to run on? Need an answer asap cause this is the laptop I am buying today. (its a 1 day offer)

Dell laptop. What setting will i be able to run on? Need an answer asap cause this is the laptop I am buying today. (its a 1 day offer)

Relatively poorly, because of the graphics card being a relatively low level one.

You'd be better off finding an i5 with a better graphics chipset.

Getting a new gaming pc built, here are the specs:

GIGABYTE GA-970A-D3 AM3+ AMD 970 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX AMD Motherboard

GIGABYTE GV-N560OC-1GI GeForce GTX 560 Ti (Fermi) 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Card

COOLER MASTER eXtreme Power Plus RS-550-PCAR-E3 550W ATX12V V2.3 SLI Ready CrossFire Ready Power Supply

AMD FX-6100 Zambezi 3.3GHz Socket AM3+ 95W Six-Core Desktop Processor FD6100WMGUSBX

G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model F3-12800CL8D-4GBRM

Seagate Barracuda ST500DM002 500GB 7200 RPM SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive

How well do you think I'll be able to run swtor on this?

Fine. Can't say I recommend a Zambezi though, not worth it for gaming, but if you do other things, I suppose it might be ok.

Hmm, thanks for the input. Which processor would you recommend? This is the setup I went with mainly because it was only $640 total, plus I can always upgrade it later once I get more money.

PROCESSOR Intel® Core™ i7 2670QM 2.2GHz (3.1GHz w/Turbo Boost, 6MB Cache) OPERATING SYSTEM Genuine Windows® 7 Home Premium, 64bit, English

WIRELESS CARDS Intel® Wireless-N WiFi Link 1000 a/g/n 1x2

MEMORY 6GB DDR3 at 1600MHzedit

VIDEO CARD 1.5GB DDR3 NVIDIA® GeForce® GT 555M using NVIDIA Optimus™ technology

HARD DRIVE 500GB 7200RPM SATA 3Gb/s

How well would this laptop run swtor? If the answer is on low quality then please tell me what you would change. (alienware computer by the way)

My question is whether I need to upgrade to max the game and have a rock solid 60fps with no drops even in PVP.

I have an x4 phenom 3.2 and 2 5870s in crossfire. It's basically adequate performance but it dips in towns, odd times, open vistas, and busy fights. One thing I love about WoW (maybe the only thing?) is it's the most butter-smooth game around, and that keeps it immersive. This game is not the prettiest game in town so I'm hoping that some AMD drivers and some client patches will fix my performance up.

Any thoughts?

Hmm, thanks for the input. Which processor would you recommend? This is the setup I went with mainly because it was only $640 total, plus I can always upgrade it later once I get more money.

I'd recommend going with an Intel over an AMD, your other AMD choices are a Phenom II, which I think are a better price for performance value right now, but I could be wrong, maybe if you got a good deal on the Zambezi it'd be ok, I saw some remarks about getting one for 100 dollars.

Hey everybody, recently iv been fairly choppy, slow framerate i have all of the graphics on the lowest for better preformance, i have a intel core i3 processor and a NIVIDIA geforce 315 graphics card, i need to upgrade one of them but eventually both, what do you think first? im considering the graphics card to maybe a 460 or 560it ge force? thourts and suggestions would be great!

frosty.:cool:

PROCESSOR Intel® Core™ i7 2670QM 2.2GHz (3.1GHz w/Turbo Boost, 6MB Cache) OPERATING SYSTEM Genuine Windows® 7 Home Premium, 64bit, English

WIRELESS CARDS Intel® Wireless-N WiFi Link 1000 a/g/n 1x2

MEMORY 6GB DDR3 at 1600MHzedit

VIDEO CARD 1.5GB DDR3 NVIDIA® GeForce® GT 555M using NVIDIA Optimus™ technology

HARD DRIVE 500GB 7200RPM SATA 3Gb/s

How well would this laptop run swtor? If the answer is on low quality then please tell me what you would change. (alienware computer by the way)

Friend I have the same question, want to buy an ASUS with the configuration described below, but I wonder if anyone has ran the game with a similar setup and know if you'll give it to run on HIGH?

My Future Config:

ASUS N43

Core i7 2630q

6GB of Ram

GT550M

I've been having trouble with fps on my laptop. Can anyone suggest some ideas on how to improve it? I have to run all settings at low +shadows off to get tolerable fps and CanYouRunIt shows that my system should be able to run this game very fast (green bar maxed out)

------------------

System Information

------------------

Operating System: Windows 7 Professional 64-bit (6.1, Build 7600) (7600.win7_gdr.110622-1503)

Language: English (Regional Setting: English)

System Manufacturer: Dell Inc.

System Model: Latitude E6510

BIOS: Default System BIOS

Processor: Intel® Core i5 CPU M 540 @ 2.53GHz (4 CPUs), ~2.5GHz

Memory: 4096MB RAM

Available OS Memory: 4022MB RAM

Page File: 1801MB used, 6240MB available

Windows Dir: C:\Windows

DirectX Version: DirectX 11

DX Setup Parameters: Not found

User DPI Setting: Using System DPI

System DPI Setting: 96 DPI (100 percent)

DWM DPI Scaling: Disabled

DxDiag Version: 6.01.7600.16385 32bit Unicode

---------------

Display Devices

---------------

Card name: NVIDIA NVS 3100M

Manufacturer: NVIDIA

Chip type: NVS 3100M

DAC type: Integrated RAMDAC

Device Key: Enum\PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_0A6C&SUBSYS_040B1028&REV_A2

Display Memory: 2221 MB

Dedicated Memory: 466 MB

Shared Memory: 1754 MB

Current Mode: 1366 x 768 (32 bit) (59Hz)

Monitor Name: Generic PnP Monitor

Monitor Model: unknown

Monitor Id: LGD024B

Native Mode: 1366 x 768(p) (59.960Hz)

Output Type: Internal

Driver Name: nvd3dumx.dll,nvwgf2umx.dll,nvwgf2umx.dll,nvd3dum,nvwgf2um,nvwgf2um

Driver File Version: 8.17.0012.8562 (English)

Driver Version: 8.17.12.8562

DDI Version: 10.1

Driver Model: WDDM 1.1

Driver Attributes: Final Retail

Driver Date/Size: 10/15/2011 02:53:00, 15693120 bytes

WHQL Logo'd: Yes

WHQL Date Stamp:

Device Identifier: {D7B71E3E-492C-11CF-EA52-07241CC2C535}

Vendor ID: 0x10DE

Device ID: 0x0A6C

SubSys ID: 0x040B1028

Revision ID: 0x00A2

Driver Strong Name: oem44.inf:NVIDIA_SetA_Devices.NTamd64.6.1:Section038:8.17.12.8562:pci\ven_10de&dev_0a6c&subsys_040b1028

Rank Of Driver: 00E60001

Video Accel: ModeMPEG2_A ModeMPEG2_C ModeVC1_C ModeWMV9_C

Cant Believe i have to repost this after a redirect from a forum admin. awsome service right there for you..

-

Hi,

I got early access (emailed) through on the 16th and started it all up all well and good, for some reason the graphics defaulted to lowest possible, which was odd, so i raised them all to max, everything.

Now, ever since that moment, my GPU has started to act up, badly, not just noticable in SWTOR but in other games, BF3 - SWTOR - Trine2 - All other games i have, here is a description of whats happening:

: 10 - 20 Minutes into Gameplay the game starts to lagg extremely bad, i recorded the FPS drop and found it to be a steady 60-70 FPS drop to 5-10 FPS, (unplayable) for a recorded 10-20 seconds.

- This would recur about 3 times in an hour

I have a ATI HD 5770 and its overclocked to GPU Clock: 900 MHZ - Memory Clock - 1300MHZ, i have tried turning the overclock off, no difference.

The worrying thing is, its getting worse, the spikes are occuring more often, the spike times are increasing/

The moment i turned SWTOR to full settings, it spiked for a good minute, and then all of the above started happening in sequence

(note i reinstalled drivers / reinstalled SWTOR)

Any help or resolve would be greatful

- System Spec

Q6600 Quad Core - Overclocked to 3.2GHZ

8GB DDR3 1333MHZ Vengence Ram

ASUS P8P67 Motherboard PRO

Hard Drive: 1TB Western Digital

Edited by ThiefUK

Was redirected by a dev.

So my main rig can handle SWTOR pretty well (i7, gtx 480, wc'ed) but my old rig is running it pretty horribly. FPS on my new rig is around 110+ on highest settings and on the old rig less than 30 on lowest settings. My guess is that it's the video card. Here's the specs:

Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 2.4 GHz

XFX NVidia GeForce 9800 GT

4 MB RAM

Windows Vista 64-bit

No SSD (moved to new rig)

The frame rate and "frame lag" in game is so bad that if I play it for extended periods of time I feel dizzy and want to throw up. Cinematics and cut scenes are fine, but just movement around the game sucks horribly. You would move your mouse in one direction to turn and it takes a few seconds later to turn. On my new rig it's instant.

I was thinking about getting a 2nd account for my wife to play but I don't want to build a completely new computer. Would upgrading the video card make that magical difference and fix the horrible "frame lag"?

What's the cheapest and best-run-for-the-money video card that can run this game on Low settings without any noticeable slowdown or that "frame lag"? Any help is appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Seems like everyone is getting redirected by the forum admins and therfore receiving no responce to their problems, absolute great customer service, "we'll put you over there where no body cares"..

Phoning them up at the moment, this is just beyond belief.