Desktop Hardware Q&A

Veilshatter

• Replies 819
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Run it fine? I would not say that, your chipset is low-mid range from 2 generations past, on a laptop with a comparatively weaker CPU.

Turn down or off every setting you can. It won't run great, but you might find what's causing a particular issue. I remember something about Bloom, but I'm not sure.

Edited by Colobulous

Laptops need more HW to live up to a lesser desktop. In general, for gaming at least.

But about the lagging issues, do not worry about lag and your machine the first couple of days. There are so many software (both client/server) and spike issues at a launch of an MMO that you cant rely on the results you get now.

If it continues after the first couple of emergency patches, and restarts, and when Early access is in full flow, then maybe check in again.

They're fully updated , should this in theory run it fine??... :@ :@ this is making me rage ...

no your laptop won't run the game. expect your game to stall completely in the highly populated areas.

for the OP, you might want to include the link in my sig in your first post. it shows the benchmarks to see how the different cards tested when tomshardware tested them out on TOR

no your laptop won't run the game. expect your game to stall completely in the highly populated areas.

for the OP, you might want to include the link in my sig in your first post. it shows the benchmarks to see how the different cards tested when tomshardware tested them out on TOR

Thanks for all the replys ^ at the moment this is true I quit earlier as I literally could not play. How do I improve it, what needs to be upgraded?

edit: looking at your sig would a radeon hd 5570 be a good upgrade?

Edited by Flaky

Well here is a hardware question i do have though not 100% game related. I am building a me computer for the game and plan on having an ssd hard drive and then 2 others in raid 0. I plan on putting windows on the ssd and not sure where I should put star wars any suggestions. The ssd will be a sata 3 and 120 gig

I would put,swtor on the ssd

Just to throw a few more specs out for people to look at if wanting to upgrade, I just did a major overhaul of my machine at home.

Intel Core i5 2500k 3.3GHz (not overclocked....yet)

16gb G.Skill Ripjaws X DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800)

ASRock Extreme 3 Gen 3 board

XFX HD 5770 1gb card (runs the game just fine at 60-70fps)

1Tb Seagate Sata 3 6GB/s hard drive.

Thanks for all the replys ^ at the moment this is true I quit earlier as I literally could not play. How do I improve it, what needs to be upgraded?

edit: looking at your sig would a radeon hd 5570 be a good upgrade?

You have a laptop. You cannot expect to upgrade it that much. You can replace the whole system, or add more memory or a larger HDD, but not a graphics card upgrade.

Just expect to get a new system.

You have a laptop. You cannot expect to upgrade it that much. You can replace the whole system, or add more memory or a larger HDD, but not a graphics card upgrade.

Just expect to get a new system.

Totally correct you can't update laptops GPU's

There are gaming laptops with replaceable graphics cards but they arent a common thing.

If your a gamer, PC > Laptop

Ok i got one for you. What would be a good investement in the long term?

SSD drive or WD Caviar Black?

knowing that SSD can only Write so many times would it be worth it to get a SSD for the load speed or would it be wise to get a WD Caviar Black.

The only component i milk for at least 5 years is a hard drive. so you know need something that will last at least 5 years.

Edited by obinidas

How will this setup be able to run it?

Model: Acer Aspire 5738DZG-4103

Processor: Pentium T4400 (2.2 GHz, 800 MHz) 64-bit

RAM: 3GB

Graphics: ATI Mobility Radeon HD 4570 (512 MB, up to 1789 HyperMemory)

Btw, I'm not expecting anything great. I just want to know if the laptop is able to run the game smoothly, even on the lowest settings.

Edited by Lasterhaft

How will this setup be able to run it?

Model: Acer Aspire 5738DZG-4103

Processor: Pentium T4400 (2.2 GHz, 800 MHz) 64-bit

RAM: 3GB

Graphics: ATI Mobility Radeon HD 4570 (512 MB, up to 1789 HyperMemory)

Btw, I'm not expecting anything great. I just want to know if the laptop is able to run the game smoothly, even on the lowest settings.

IF it plays it will be very low settings these are one of the earlier gen dual cores i wouldn't be supprised if it wouldnt play it..

Ok i got one for you. What would be a good investement in the long term?

SSD drive or WD Caviar Black?

knowing that SSD can only Write so many times would it be worth it to get a SSD for the load speed or would it be wise to get a WD Caviar Black.

The only component i milk for at least 5 years is a hard drive. so you know need something that will last at least 5 years.

SSD You will end up replacing both of them to upgrade them before they die.

I have a question in beta we had the ability to adjust alot of settings like shadows and such. With the release version we do not have that, is there a way to make the game play with the shadows turned off because I had no problem playing beta but release is very slow bad frame rate I guess. I am playing on a dell laptop that has played most games pretty well up to now

DELL STUDIO 1737

4GB RAM

INTEL CORE 2 DUO CPU T6500@2.10GHz

MOBILE INTEL 4 SERIES BUILT IN VIDEO CARD w/1GB RAM

I actually would like some real feedback.

I'm planning on "investing" $1,000-$1,300 next month on a new gaming rig. Please note, my intentions aren't just to run TOR on high, but they are to run TOR on high in a full raid and never dip below 60 FPS. Also, I'm an "all around" gamer which means I need this to play the more demanding games like BF3, MW3, Skyrim, and anything else that comes in next year with good FPS.

This is what I have so far:

• intel i5-2500k (+MB combo)
  • ATI 6970 x2 (exact model unknown yet)
  • G.Skill Memory (2x 8GB)

Roughly comes it to be $1300 which is my cap. I'll keep my same case and PSU (plenty powerful) for the upgrade.. everything else goes.

My current system runs TOR on high just fine, my only worries is what happens in a cluster of people.

Feedback is always welcome.. especially on the exact model of 6970s.

Edited by Tenzoo

I would just like to know if this set up is good for SWTOR and mmo gaming in geneal. :)

Also, this was an e-mail to my friend, so I'll just copy/paste. :)

Total: $923.90

My first run through was $1200 so I got it down below $1000 which is good.

--

Windows 7 = $99.99

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16832116986

--

Processor = 220$

Intel Core i5-2500K Sandy Bridge 3.3GHz (3.7GHz Turbo Boost) LGA 1155 95W Quad-Core Desktop Processor Intel HD Graphics 3000 BX80623I52500K

--

Motherboard = $69.99

BIOSTAR TH67B LGA 1155 Intel H67 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s Micro ATX Intel Motherboard

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813138308

This is the part I'm worried about, but I think it should be ok.

--

Memory = $39.99

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231311

--

Power Supply = $94.99

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139020

--

Video Card = $179.99

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814127510

I know that's expensive for a video card but it's only $75 more for the card, and I think it's better to have a better graphics card than a processor for gaming.

--

Hard Drive = $139.99

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822148697

Is that too expensive?

--

Case = $50

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811147153

Edited by alex_x

Two questions, one hardware, one software.

Will my system run this on highest?

ASUS GTX 560 Ti

AMD Phenom II X4 840 Processor (4 CPUs) 3.2ghz

8GB DDR3 Ram

--------------------------------------------------------------

Software Question that relates to my G-Card

Since I got my new G-Card which was 7 days ago, I haven't been able to install my drivers successfully, I install them, it says they're working and for the session and they do work but when I shut down my system and then load it back up the next day, my drivers reset to 0.0 and when I play games I get very bad stutters which means I have to re-install these drivers every single time I reload my system.

If you could answer this, i'd be very grateful, but it's not neccessary ^_^ Thank You in advance!