Desktop Hardware Q&A

Veilshatter

• Replies 819
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I currently have an Acer Aspire x1200 and I want to make SWTOR run smoother. I found something that might work. A Sapphire 100283L Radeon HD 5770 Video Card - 1GB GDDR5, PCI-Express 2.0, CrossFireX Ready, Dual DVI, Display Port, HDMI, Open Box.

Link: http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicati...oductresources

I wanted to know if the two would be compatible. So would I be able to use the Video Card with the computer? I really don't know much about computers so help would be nice. If you have an awnser please PM. Thanks.:)

I'd love to say yes, and a 5770 would run this game pretty well, but that case is just so tiny...

There's an x16 PCI-E slot open, so technically you can drop in a card, but you're not going to have a fun time installing the card with the way the cables are routed.

The link you gave is not working by the way.

hi hope you can help. when i play swtor i cant see my character the foreground seems to take over and i have blocks of colour on my screen.

Specs are as follows;

Processor Intel® Core2 Duo CPU T5800 @ 2.00GHz

RAM 4.0GB

DVD Optiarc DVD RW AD-7560S

Graphics card Mobile Intel® 4 Series Express Chipset Family

hope you can help no one else seems to care

Thanks

Anyone have any info on SLi ?

I've started a few threads but they get spammed out the backed of EGA QQ and stuff with no answers.

I only saw 1 post about SLi not working with SWTOR, I was hoping to run it at max settings at ~60FPS

12GB ddr3 @1600mhz

Core i7 @3.2 Ghz

2x GTX 580 SLi

SSHD

120hz Monitor @ 1650x1080

then my poo laptop

2gz Core 2 DUO

2 GB ram

Geaforce 9700 GS

I'm running two GTX 560TI cards in SLI. I am playing with 5760x1080 (5892x1080, actually, when factoring in bezel correction) resolution. I have everything maxed out and the game runs silky-smooth.

Edited by VorpalCheese

hey guys. i've made a few of these for some friends, this setup is DIRT cheap, you could proberly get it even cheaper in america, but here in england i can make this rig for £380 ( $590)

motherboard- Gigabyte GA-M68MT-S2p

Sumvision 450W 20+4pin

pu-AMD Athlon II X2 260 3.2 GHz- Some may disagree on this cpu but it holds out well and hasnt failed on my friends.

windows 7 64bit

Corsair 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3- cant go wrong

WD Scorpio Blue 750GB hard drive

RAphics card -XFX HD 6850 1GB GDDR5- Very good card for the money, It plays battlefeild 3 with 40fps roughly. this could easily handle this game on max settings.

Anyone have any info on SLi ?

I've started a few threads but they get spammed out the backed of EGA QQ and stuff with no answers.

I only saw 1 post about SLi not working with SWTOR, I was hoping to run it at max settings at ~60FPS

12GB ddr3 @1600mhz

Core i7 @3.2 Ghz

2x GTX 580 SLi

SSHD

120hz Monitor @ 1650x1080

then my poo laptop

2gz Core 2 DUO

2 GB ram

Geaforce 9700 GS

Remeber to set the configuation button " maximise Performance" in the nvidia control panel. It will make the cards work together if you havent already done that. with those cards you should do more than 60fps i assure you :)

hey guys. i've made a few of these for some friends, this setup is DIRT cheap, you could proberly get it even cheaper in america, but here in england i can make this rig for £380 ( $590)

motherboard- Gigabyte GA-M68MT-S2p

Sumvision 450W 20+4pin

pu-AMD Athlon II X2 260 3.2 GHz- Some may disagree on this cpu but it holds out well and hasnt failed on my friends.

windows 7 64bit

Corsair 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3- cant go wrong

WD Scorpio Blue 750GB hard drive

RAphics card -XFX HD 6850 1GB GDDR5- Very good card for the money, It plays battlefeild 3 with 40fps roughly. this could easily handle this game on max settings.

Going to disagree on the processor, sure it's cheaper, and can be OCed pretty well, and holds out - but at this point if you're spending $600 for a rig, you should drop in at least an i5-2500k. That's my only call out - but yes in the States I was able to build almost a mirror image of that box, swapping the Gigabyte for an MSI board and the i5-2500 (non-k), for about $400 after rebates (reused an old case I had as well).

Around the 250 range you can get whatever you want really. It might sound backward but I might actually try to find 2 5850s or 6850s at that price range and Xfire them. 6850s pop up around the $120 mark every now and then - especially after rebate. Or if you're Nvidia SLi two 460gtxs?

Need a suggestion for a great video card around 250ish range

You cant go wrong with a gtx 460 they are amazing cards

dont get the 768Mb get the 1Gb it performs a decent amount better due to the memory configuration in them is different (ie 192-bit for the 768MB version vs 256-bit for the 1024MB version).

Edited by Veilshatter

Going to disagree on the processor, sure it's cheaper, and can be OCed pretty well, and holds out - but at this point if you're spending $600 for a rig, you should drop in at least an i5-2500k. That's my only call out - but yes in the States I was able to build almost a mirror image of that box, swapping the Gigabyte for an MSI board and the i5-2500 (non-k), for about $400 after rebates (reused an old case I had as well).

I agree with this statement. It doesn't seem cost effective to buy a system that is getting more and more obsolete for gaming by the day. At least go to a quad core and a beefier GPU.

My first question is, are these components compatible? I don't know much about computer hardware, this list is just what i came up with after spending some time on the ibuypower build options. Second question is how well can this run swtor? I plan on playing games like Secret War, Wildfire, and GW2 in the future but SWTOR is the only pc game i plan on playing for now. Is there anything that stands out as a no-no or "DONT DO THAT!!!"? What things do i need to change? Yes i have read a thousand times building my own is the best way to do it but the thought of messing something up (again, im not very handy with hardware and whatnot) makes me distraught. As it stands, this would cost me $945 which is above what i wanted to spend but if it allows me to play pc games reasonably and allow for updates like graphics cards and whatnot in the future, than i can live with that.

This is what i came up with:

Case

Xion Echo Gaming Case - Blue

Case Lighting

None

iBUYPOWER Labs - Noise Reduction

None

iBUYPOWER Labs - Internal Expansion

None

Processor

AMD Athlon™ II X4 640 CPU (4x 3.00GHz/2MB L2 Cache)

Processor Cooling

Certified CPU Fan and Heatsink

Memory

4 GB [2 GB X2] DDR3-1600 Memory Module - Corsair or Major Brand

Video Card

AMD Radeon HD 6770 - 1GB - Single Card

Video Card Brand

Major Brand Powered by AMD or NVIDIA

Motherboard

ASUS M5A97 -- AMD 970

Motherboard USB / SATA Interface

Motherboard default USB / SATA Interface

Power Supply

850 Watt -- Corsair CMPSU-850TXV2

Primary Hard Drive

1 TB HARD DRIVE -- 32M Cache, 7200 RPM, 6.0Gb/s - Single Drive

Data Hard Drive

None

Optical Drive

24X Dual Format/Double Layer DVD±R/±RW + CD-R/RW Drive [Lightscribe Technology] Black

2nd Optical Drive

None

Flash Media Reader / Writer

12-In-1 Internal Flash Media Card Reader/Writer - Black

Meter Display

None

USB Expansion

None

Sound Card

3D Premium Surround Sound Onboard

Network Card

Onboard LAN Network (Gb or 10/100)

Operating System

Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium + Office Starter 2010 (Includes basic versions of Word and Excel) - 64-Bit

Monitor

None

2nd Monitor

None

Speaker System

iBUYPOWER 2.1 Channel Stereo Super Bass Subwoofer Speaker System

Video Camera

None

Case Engraving Service

None

Warranty

3 Year Standard Warranty Service

Rush Service

Rush Service Fee (not shipping fee) - No Rush Service

Wireless Network Adapter

1 x ASUS USB-N13 802.11b/g/n USB 2.0 300Mbps Wireless USB Adapter

USB Cables / Accessories

2 x [Hub] USB 2.0 External Hub (4 x Ports)

Advanced Build Options

1 x iBUYPOWER Specialized Advanced Packaging System Protect your investment during transportation!

Advanced Build Options

1 x Professional wiring for all cables inside the system tower Achieve exceptional airflow in your chassis

Advanced Build Options

1 x Basic Pro Wiring

Just an update, i changed my Processor and Graphics card, any opinions on how this will work? Will it be upgradeable in the future? Will it be able to run other games like Secret War, Wildstar, and GW2?

Gamer Mage D335

1 x Case ( Xion Echo Gaming Case - Red )

0 x Case Lighting ( None )

0 x iBUYPOWER Labs - Noise Reduction ( None )

0 x iBUYPOWER Labs - Internal Expansion ( None )

1 x Processor ( AMD FX-6100 CPU (6x 3.30GHz/6MB L2 Cache) )

1 x Processor Cooling ( Certified CPU Fan and Heatsink )

1 x Memory ( 4 GB [2 GB X2] DDR3-1600 Memory Module - Corsair or Major Brand )

1 x Video Card ( AMD Radeon HD 6790 - 1GB - Single Card )

1 x Video Card Brand ( Major Brand Powered by AMD or NVIDIA )

1 x Motherboard ( ASUS M5A97 -- AMD 970 )

1 x Motherboard USB / SATA Interface ( Motherboard default USB / SATA Interface )

1 x Power Supply ( 850 Watt -- Corsair CMPSU-850TXV2 )

1 x Primary Hard Drive ( 1 TB HARD DRIVE -- 32M Cache, 7200 RPM, 6.0Gb/s - Single Drive )

0 x Data Hard Drive ( None )

1 x Optical Drive ( 24X Dual Format/Double Layer DVD±R/±RW + CD-R/RW Drive - [Lightscribe Technology] Black )

0 x 2nd Optical Drive ( None )

1 x Flash Media Reader / Writer ( 12-In-1 Internal Flash Media Card Reader/Writer - Black )

0 x Meter Display ( None )

0 x USB Expansion ( None )

1 x Sound Card ( 3D Premium Surround Sound Onboard )

1 x Network Card ( Onboard LAN Network (Gb or 10/100) )

1 x Operating System ( Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium + Office Starter 2010 (Includes basic versions of Word and Excel) - 64-Bit )

0 x Monitor ( None )

0 x 2nd Monitor ( None )

1 x Speaker System ( iBUYPOWER 2.1 Channel Stereo Super Bass Subwoofer Speaker System )

1 x Wireless Network Adapter ( ASUS USB-N13 802.11b/g/n USB 2.0 300Mbps Wireless USB Adapter )

0 x Video Camera ( None )

2 x USB Cables / Accessories ( [Hub] USB 2.0 External Hub (4 x Ports) )

1 x Advanced Build Options ( iBUYPOWER Specialized Advanced Packaging System - Protect your investment during transportation! )

1 x Advanced Build Options ( Professional wiring for all cables inside the system tower - Achieve exceptional airflow in your chassis )

1 x Advanced Build Options ( Professional wiring for all cables inside the system tower - Basic Pro Wiring )

0 x Case Engraving Service ( None )

1 x Warranty ( 3 Year Standard Warranty Service )

Hey everyone, I got into early access today and was running at a constant 15-20 FPS. I'm looking to upgrade my graphics card, and my knowledge of them is next to none. Right now I have an ATI Radeon HD 5450. Because I don't know jack about graphics cards, here is my processor and RAM if it has anything to do with my computer's performance:

AMD Athlon II X4 635 Processor 2.90 GHz

6g of RAM

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Edited by Skryon

Running poorly on my system with everything turned down and resolution dropped.

Operating System: Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit (6.1, Build 7601) Service Pack 1 (7601.win7sp1_gdr.110622-1506)

Language: English (Regional Setting: English)

System Manufacturer: Dell Inc.

System Model: Studio XPS 8100

BIOS: Default System BIOS

Processor: Intel® Core i5 CPU 650 @ 3.20GHz (4 CPUs), ~3.2GHz

Memory: 8192MB RAM

Available OS Memory: 8120MB RAM

Page File: 3385MB used, 12850MB available

Windows Dir: C:\Windows

DirectX Version: DirectX 11

DX Setup Parameters: Not found

User DPI Setting: Using System DPI

System DPI Setting: 96 DPI (100 percent)

DWM DPI Scaling: Disabled

DxDiag Version: 6.01.7601.17514 32bit Unicode

Display Devices

---------------

Card name: NVIDIA GeForce 310

Manufacturer: NVIDIA

Chip type: GeForce 310

DAC type: Integrated RAMDAC

Device Key: Enum\PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_0A66&SUBSYS_90601B0A&REV_A2

Display Memory: 4071 MB

Dedicated Memory: 487 MB

Shared Memory: 3583 MB

Current Mode: 1920 x 1080 (32 bit) (60Hz)

Any suggestions would be hot and does "DAC type: Integrated RAMDAC" mean I have an integrated card?

How well would this run SWTOR?

Key Features and Benefits:

AMD Athlon II X2 245 processor

2.90GHz, 2MB L2 Cache

8GB DDR3 DRAM system memory

Gives you the power to handle most power-hungry applications and tons of multimedia work

500GB SATA hard drive

Store 333,000 photos, 142,000 songs or 263 hours of HD video and more

NVIDIA GT520 Graphics

With 1GB dedicated graphics memory

I thought I had a great system, but it runs SWTOR so buggy.

Or this?

Key Features and Benefits:

2nd Generation Intel Core i3-2120 processor

3.30GHz, 3MB Cache

4GB DDR3 SDRAM system memory (expandable to 8GB)

Gives you the power to handle most power-hungry applications and tons of multimedia work

1TB SATA hard drive

Store 666,000 photos, 285,000 songs or 526 hours of HD video and more

Intel HD Graphics

With up to 1696MB total graphics memory as allocated by Windows 7

I have a problem:

When I play with the lowest settings, 1280 x 720 resolution I got about 50 fps. When I enter a cave for example where's smoke all around, I can barely play and I got like <10 fps. I have uninstalled all unused programs, I am using the maximum performance power options, I have put all settings the lowest possible from AMD catalyst and I have updated the latest drivers. My laptop is about 5 months old.

When I try medium graphics with 1920 x 1080 resolution my fps are about 5-10 and it's a pain even to move around.

My laptop:

Intel I7 2630qm (4 cores, 2.0 GHz)

AMD Radeon HD 6470M

8gb ddr 3

Win 7 Home Premium 64bit.

Is my graphic card really not enough for medium settings or is there possibly something wrong with it? Any help with this problem is appreciated.

Thanks

Ricz

Edited by Riczhaw

Here's what I got...

PROC: AMD Athlon 64x2 Dual Core 4400+

Mem : DDR2 2Gigs

Graphics Card: Radeon HD 4350 1Gig

Is it possible the game would run on a low to medium with just an upgraded graphics card.

Do I need to update the MoBo Mem and Proc as well as card?

Any input would be good.

Edit: Just wanted to post the little I have played actually looks fine

I'm running it all on low, bloom and vertical sync turned off. however I have to run it at 1920x1080 resolution for some reason. Not sure why. The only problem i'm getting is the prerendered quest talks.

I am also running windows XP.

any suggestions would be great thanks!

Edited by Trevux