So why doesn't cover work in pvp?

SoulstitchMMO

Curious. Just tested it out. Made sure the enemies had shields above their heads. Stayed behind the cover, ate every single attack thrown at me.

So what's up Bioware? Working as intended?

20% chance. Bad luck means you can still be hit by every attack.

Also, what attacks were you testing? Many "ranged" attacks are Tech or Force attacks, which ignore Defense. Examples are every sort of missile/explosive and everything sorcs/sages besides lightsaber swings.

You're joking right?

I am not. Ranged defense works against blaster shots and any special built off of blaster shots. Missiles/Grenades/Anythingthatgoesboom is a tech ability. Anything that directly uses the force to do damage is a Force ability.

look on the bright side, at least I can't force leap at you.

This is the best part of Cover. You are the ONLY class that gets that immunity. YOu are the ONLY class that can snipe from your goal line in Huttball without giving the enemy a free goal.

Edited by Grubfist

You're joking right?

No, it's absolutely true. Most ranged attack abilities in the game are actually tech/force, "magic" if you will, and ignore defenses completely. That includes tanking stats besides armor, and your cover. Enjoy.

Edited by vrok-

ummm cover is one of the most bs crap in the game since (being a sentinel) i cant force leap to you to close the gap,(also being a vangaurd) i cant use my GET OVER HERE skill to pull you to me,,,so the only way to get to a person in cover as a melee is to walk and avoid getting hit by your op skill (a stupid lev 15 hit me for 3.3k crit and the minimum crit for that crap is at least 2.4k) and get close enough to only get knocked back and rooted and shot again by your op skill which also cant be interrupted which i forgot to mention (im just stating the facts of that skill).....only as a vangaurd i had a fighting chance against you snipers in cover (as a sentinel the only chance i had was to hope someone broke you out of cover or just stay out of your los) so cover do work in pvp as i just stated some facts....you just have to be smart and keep your distance from the battle so your cover is effective Edited by jonnyshadow

ummm cover is one of the most op crap in the game since (being a sentinel) i cant force leap to you to close the gap,(also being a vangaurd) i cant use my GET OVER HERE skill to pull you to me,,,so the only way to get to a person in cover as a melee is to walk and avoid getting hit by your op skill (a stupid lev 15 hit me for 3.3k crit and the minimum crit for that crap is at least 2.4k) and get close enough to only get knocked back and rooted and shot again by your op skill which also cant be interrupted which i forgot to mention (im just stating the facts of that skill).....only as a vangaurd i had a fighting chance against you snipers in cover (as a sentinel the only chance i had was to hope someone broke you out of cover or just stay out of your los) so cover do work in pvp as i just stated some facts....you just have to be smart and keep your distance from the battle so your cover is effective

It's not OP, it's a tradeoff for having NO mobility.

ummm cover is one of the most bs crap in the game since (being a sentinel) i cant force leap to you to close the gap,(also being a vangaurd) i cant use my GET OVER HERE skill to pull you to me,,,so the only way to get to a person in cover as a melee is to walk and avoid getting hit by your op skill (a stupid lev 15 hit me for 3.3k crit and the minimum crit for that crap is at least 2.4k) and get close enough to only get knocked back and rooted and shot again by your op skill which also cant be interrupted which i forgot to mention (im just stating the facts of that skill).....only as a vangaurd i had a fighting chance against you snipers in cover (as a sentinel the only chance i had was to hope someone broke you out of cover or just stay out of your los) so cover do work in pvp as i just stated some facts....you just have to be smart and keep your distance from the battle so your cover is effective

You are bad at Vanguard. Snipers for me on my vanguard are free kills. And as a Jugg, stun + leap = win.

You are bad at Vanguard. Snipers for me on my vanguard are free kills. And as a Jugg, stun + leap = win.

When did they give Juggs stuns? You mean the 1 stun the class has if specced into tank that requires melee range to use?

It's literally the only class that doesn't have a stun by default.

Edited by Grubfist

i was mostly speaking from a sentinel point of view...and I AM A SENTINEL NOT A JUGG we dont have force push....and as a vangaurd i do have an easier time with them since i am ranged also and dont have to get into a meele distance to fight them but you still have to get them out of their cozy spot so

A) they can stop spamming their heavy hitting skill on you and other people

B) make them less effective since they arent spamming their heavy hitting skill on you and other people

We're not any more immobile then any class with a channel. Cover is a great ability, jump/pull immunity is worth it by itself, but we also get interrupt immunity and a defense bonus(mostly to other snipers/gunslingers). If I had to change anything, I would get rid of the cover prereq on explosive probe and cover pulse, but otherwise Sniper is definitely my favorite class.

Edit: Vanguards/Powertechs are actually pretty easy to kill if their by themselves.

Edited by SpectreVII

ummm cover is one of the most bs crap in the game since (being a sentinel) i cant force leap to you to close the gap,(also being a vangaurd) i cant use my GET OVER HERE skill to pull you to me,,,so the only way to get to a person in cover as a melee is to walk and avoid getting hit by your op skill (a stupid lev 15 hit me for 3.3k crit and the minimum crit for that crap is at least 2.4k) and get close enough to only get knocked back and rooted and shot again by your op skill which also cant be interrupted which i forgot to mention (im just stating the facts of that skill).....only as a vangaurd i had a fighting chance against you snipers in cover (as a sentinel the only chance i had was to hope someone broke you out of cover or just stay out of your los) so cover do work in pvp as i just stated some facts....you just have to be smart and keep your distance from the battle so your cover is effective

But thier tears are soo soo tasty when you managed to come on one from behind and he doesn't notice.

But thier tears are soo soo tasty when you managed to come on one from behind and he doesn't notice.

lol yes they are just time consuming tbh....walking to them plus going through the hordes of sorcs spamming their fancy lightning to get to them:( but i would love a trade off...give them a skill called dash (ONLY A GUNSLINGERS/SNIPERS SKILL scoundrels/operatives dont need that since they can stealth) and in return i can jump/pull them when they are in cover...think i might get bashed for that but im just saying:cool: would like to hear from a gunslinger/sniper how that sounds to them could care less bout any other class

Yea I usually lose to powertechs on my gunslinger. They take longer to kill than what abilities I have to keep them at bay so I can't imagine what this guy is doing. Maybe he plays naked.

Yea I usually lose to powertechs on my gunslinger. They take longer to kill than what abilities I have to keep them at bay so I can't imagine what this guy is doing. Maybe he plays naked.

umm yea read before you post stated this earlier i was mostly talking about it through a sentinel's point of view

the shield procs from generators and focus' suffer the same problem of force/tech not proccing or being affected by it.

it really is an odd system. defensivve stats in this game are very very very weak.

which is quite fine really since geared tank spec'd players have a lot more health and kinetic/energy resistance than anyone else in the game making them stupidly hard to take down as is

if they also shielded thos blows they would be unkillable in pvp. think about this.