The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

So how many people are actually using Shadow Technique?

AMKSED

Let me just put it this way. All of the good Infiltration shadows use it. Hybrid specs are just so inferior in every way. Even more so since the last patch. I see no reason why you would need the added survivability in PvE or PvP. If you understand how your class works, you don't need to leave shadow tech.

Well, I wouldn't go so far as to say hybrid and kinetic tanks are useless, and combat technique is important to them. As an infil spec, I'm ALWAYS in shadow technique, you won't catch me without it. The better question is, does anyone really use Force technique?

Kinetic tanks useless? Haha...we make tanking look easy. MT for raids and in 4 man content if I lose aggro it's because I fell asleep. AoE tanking is the Shadow's bread and butter. Tanking made even easier now that we can heal ourselves reliably every 8 seconds for 9% of our total HP. Don't mistake hybrids for real Kinetic Tanks, they can do the job but they aren't fully equiped for it.

f you spec deep balance, Force Tech is the better option. Force in Balance then Force Tech Force Breech so the long DoT keeps the debuff regenerating force for you. You also have to be in Force Tech for Mind Crush to proc instant-cast (or you will if they haven't fixed it yet as they did Cloaking Shadows).

I know I do... I am infiltration shadow.

There are rare situations in group combat when you are forced to briefly take over the aggro. In these situations combat technique may be appropriate - but I haven't use it yet.

A typical example would be the final fight in "The False Emperor". Though you might as well simply hit "Force Cloak" and sit it out. Or Force Speed and run in circles... (I like running in circles). Anyway, if you wanna be really cool, you would probably activate all your defenses and use Force Cloak only when you get below 20% or so.

Another situation is when the only actual tank is for whatever reason unable to act or simply needs a few seconds to breathe.

Edited by Rabenschwinge

Shadow technique is the path to face wrecking.

It's all I'll ever use. Of course, I'm not bad. I hope it stays under the radar, personally. I quit Rift when they "fixed" rogues. After much qq from players who had no idea what they were doing to begin with, the class I could already destroy people on was turned into a fotm orgy of mediocrity. Everybody dusted off their old toons for easymode. I actually felt much less effective. Adjusting the game based on bad players is always a horrible idea. Of course, it seems to be the only idea going most of the time from devs. God forbid people learn their class.

Please, no buffs, no nerfs. I like my inf shadow juuuuuuust fine. :p

Kinetic combat all the way. There is no need for a pure DPS shadow unless your group really lacks DPS, because Kinetic shadows bring so much more utility to the group you're in.

But of course, everyone should play the way they enjoy the game, I can imagine some people don't like tanking stuff in pve, or being personal bodyguard / semiDPSer in pvp.

2/31/8 full Inf specced Shadow here. I am in shadow 99.9999% of the time. The only times I change is:

• When I have the ball and switch to Combat, pop the defenseive skills, then zoom zoom
  • When I am outnumbered when holding a turret and waiting for backup.

Edited by KilmarFyrewynd

Let me just put it this way. All of the good Infiltration shadows use it. Hybrid specs are just so inferior in every way. Even more so since the last patch. I see no reason why you would need the added survivability in PvE or PvP. If you understand how your class works, you don't need to leave shadow tech.

^this

I'm a 2/30/8 infil and I am always in Shadow tech. The best thing about it is if everyone is focused on the tank or healer(PvP), I just let it stack to 5 for Force Breach and it'll hit as hard as a project but instantly. Great if you have two Imps both in their 20% health. Finishing blow for you, bubble blast for you, oh boo your all dead! Hands down best for focused DPS.

I'm a 2/30/8 infil and I am always in Shadow tech. The best thing about it is if everyone is focused on the tank or healer(PvP), I just let it stack to 5 for Force Breach and it'll hit as hard as a project but instantly. Great if you have two Imps both in their 20% health. Finishing blow for you, bubble blast for you, oh boo your all dead! Hands down best for focused DPS.

even better when you cast project followed by a full charge breech, because of project delay, both attacks inflict damage at almost the same time. which is why people shouldnt complain about project... very usefull for overwelming heals.

Absolutely, that's our bread and butter for a 1v1. My rotation at the moment is as follows.

From Stealth-Spinning kick, Two clairvoyant strikes, pop resilience(for w.e stun/KB they try to use), Two more CS(for stack), low slash, pop all CC's, project, force breach. Here if they are squishy finish with finishing blow. If not your CC's should still be up so continue with, Force stun, blackout, project and FB again and then finish. The great thing is we still have force stealth after that massive burst, so if need be you can kick them down again.

The answer to this question is simple, Infil specs are the ones in Shadow Tech, for above reasons.

2/31/8 full Inf specced Shadow here. I am in shadow 99.9999% of the time. The only times I change is:

• When I have the ball and switch to Combat, pop the defenseive skills, then zoom zoom
  • When I am outnumbered when holding a turret and waiting for backup.

^^this^^

Hybrid specs are just so inferior in every way. .

I disagree. This is coming from a MS infiltration. 31/0/10 completely outclasses every possible viable PvP spec for Shadows. It has far more utility, survivability and much needed group aid for combat. The damage is also great.

Edited by Xinika

Kinetic combat all the way. There is no need for a pure DPS shadow unless your group really lacks DPS, because Kinetic shadows bring so much more utility to the group you're in.

Also this. I'm a believer now, trust me. I've dropped 2-3 hitting people's HP for Kinetic combat now.

Go figure!

I disagree. This is coming from a MS infiltration. 31/0/10 completely outclasses every possible viable PvP spec for Shadows. It has far more utility, survivability and much needed group aid for combat. The damage is also great.

how on earth are you a hybrid if you're 31 points in a tree. that's not a hybrid at all :rolleyes:

Also this. I'm a believer now, trust me. I've dropped 2-3 hitting people's HP for Kinetic combat now.

Go figure!

you dropped 2-3 hitting people's hp for kinetic combat? Could you reword that, I'm not sure what you're meaning to say