Gunslinger's in PvP you must be joking

Syft

Not gonna lie, whenever I see a Sniper I think "Free kill." They are the only people squisher than me as a sage, and they have next to no burst so as long as I stun and interrupt they aren't gonna be able to get through da bubble fast enough for me to have to wait too long afore recasting it.

lol sure buddy, you come try that on my gunslinger, ill wreck you in the junk and then proceed to burst you down.

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes Dirty fighting is great. But it's on skill level of sorcs and mercs to be honest. It's plainly braindead to play, that's why i got bored so fast with it. About "doting" to cap nodes, you should dot any guy who is trying to go to capture, no matter what spec you are, so dirty fighting doesn't have anything to do with that. And i get you don't find many people who dispell themselves or friends (i had met a few who knows), and they can make your life a living hell because he is removing most your pressure (and energy efficiency) on just 1 gcd per 3.

Btw, sharpshooter isn't bad, it's just harder to play and requires some reading on the situation to know what of your tools you should use (ie what kind of burst do you need, or if you need to get procs up, or you are going mobile for a moment while maintaining good dps, etc etc).

Then why are they the least represented class in PVP???? In my exp the most amazing classes in pvp were never the least played ones.

Name a sniper from the movies. Exactly. No glow sticks, no magic, no iconic personality. That is why we are under rolled. I LOVE that btw. Better than being the merc or sorc kabillionth roll winner. Just like a dk I will never roll a merc or sorc. I think it is embarrassing how easy they are to play at a high level.

Yea, we have Han on the GS side but I don't see him as a sniper I guess.

Edited by Stilly

Hi Guys.

I've just read all these posts like gunslinger sucks and get concerned about class I've selected.

I've moved to another server yesterday and decided to make a gunslinger there(Have 44lvl commando on old one)

So, is it really sooooo bad in pvp as people said about it here ? I've just turned lvl 5 smuggler and if it sucks then I'd like to go for commando once again because I really like it. just don't want to go through its story once again

I have zero clue what the OP is complaining about. I guess being able to 1v1 every class (except Powertechs, how I hate them :p) and finishing at the top of damage charts for every warzone is a bad thing?

If you're an ally, give me protection and/or dedicated heals and I can almost guarantee you a win. If you're an enemy, I should be your #1 target. It's not my fault if I find a good spot to drop cover and rain damage down on your team and you have no idea where it's coming from.

Word of advice - be very mindful of Snipers/Gunslingers.

To the OP - yeah, it's a generic answer, but L2P. Get a clue on how to play your class properly before you pop off on the forums about it... it just makes you look incredibly silly.

Hi Guys.

I've just read all these posts like gunslinger sucks and get concerned about class I've selected.

I've moved to another server yesterday and decided to make a gunslinger there(Have 44lvl commando on old one)

So, is it really sooooo bad in pvp as people said about it here ? I've just turned lvl 5 smuggler and if it sucks then I'd like to go for commando once again because I really like it. just don't want to go through its story once again

Try reading the thread...

Yes Dirty fighting is great. But it's on skill level of sorcs and mercs to be honest. It's plainly braindead to play, that's why i got bored so fast with it. About "doting" to cap nodes, you should dot any guy who is trying to go to capture, no matter what spec you are, so dirty fighting doesn't have anything to do with that. And i get you don't find many people who dispell themselves or friends (i had met a few who knows), and they can make your life a living hell because he is removing most your pressure (and energy efficiency) on just 1 gcd per 3.

Btw, sharpshooter isn't bad, it's just harder to play and requires some reading on the situation to know what of your tools you should use (ie what kind of burst do you need, or if you need to get procs up, or you are going mobile for a moment while maintaining good dps, etc etc).

Different strokes for different folks. I think SS is more "braindead". Roll into cover, armor debuff, aimed shot, trickshot, charged shot, trickshot, uncover, repeat, speedshot, etc. What "different" types of burst are you referring to? I guess I do have to pay more attention to where the game is going to throw me when covering - ever go to a lower level in Huttball NEXT to your target when you wanted to stay higher and out of reach? You only get Vital shot as a SS (and DF specs for longer Vital). Shrap bomb's 3 target DoT is quite a difference when outnumbered at a node. There aren't many who know that you have to cleanse a DF's dots or try to interrupt Wounding Shots. If it stays that way, I don't mind. Top 2 of damage, kills, and medals (for a non-healer) in 2/3 of my wz's is not a bad thing.

There burst seems awesome if your a low armor class but not agianst any class with descent armor since they have zero to no armor pen skills.

Unless they use hunker down they can easily be knocked out of cover and hunker down has a long repop.

Honestly it's like playing a wow hunter with no pet, traps, armor pen, or run speed. while the scoundrel/ operative is like playing a wow rogue with heals lol it's not even close by comparsion.

One run speed ability on a long repop would make a huge difference for this class, but I play a Sent/scoundrel and gunslinger and I will say I can only win with my gunslinger when I play flawlessly and make zero mistakes. And compaired to every other class i played this class is pretty weak.

If you think Operative is like a WoW rougue you need to go back to Wow and see what a rogue actually plays like...

Operative:

Above average burst on opener

Terrible mobility

Terrible sustained damage

Terrible utility

Terrible surviveability

Rougue:

Very high utility

High mobility

Average sustained damage

Above average surviveability

Epic burst on demand when poping multiple cooldowns (Shadowdance + Smokebomb + kidney shot + trinket + whatever else you wish to add)

SS is all about insane burst. Your burst is just as good as a sorcs, worse on high armor and tanks but BETTER on medium/light. Your job is to demolish one target at a time from cover in an extremely efficient manner. I kill sorcs, even BM/Champ geared ones, in about 5-7 seconds - especially if they dont realize i'm hitting them until i've popped off a few shots. I prefer SS right now because i have non stop on demand burst on HIGH PRIORITY targets like sorcs/ops/maras.

I like your mindset - tempted to go back to try SS now that I have much better gear than when I switched. The only thing I'm wary of is being crappier against heavy armor. How do you do against geared merc healers?

I wish there were more Gunslingers in PVP, they suck solo; but if you assist them with guard or heals, they can obliterate the other team.

^^

Without a healer and some support a GS is screwed in the WZ's.

I found I at least get better valor and more kills by simply grenade spamming with a spec built around nade spam.

I only need to put a little damage on evry target to get the most kills in the wz, even though my dps is weak.

GS's need some love.

Wall of text inc :p

Get some gear, switch to Dirty Fighting. Profit.

I saw a lot of snipers/gs do this, not a big fan personally. The one thing that this class has is damage and burst, DF is sustained with terrible energy managment. This is more of a personal preference but I prefer to be able to drop important targets fast and I do not like keeping targets dotted(unless they have vanish and I am going for the kill that is) so I can use my cc.

I have full champ gear, most of it remodded to get rid of accuracy(why do all our BM pieces have acc?....................). Close to 40% crit, 86% surge, close to 400 bonus damage. I am often top damage, except when you have one of those 600k damage 100k healing sorcs running around or are against a lot of med/heavy armor melee.

The problem with the class is that we have retarded damage/burst, but it gets mitigated by anything. As such, we are godlike vs a team full of sorcs, but next to useless vs med/heavy armor team(leth/df trees are a bit better in this department). I mean, half of the classes have saber ward(or equivalent) as a base skill which can negate most of our damage. Honestly I feel like our attacks should be made tech(no shields/dodges, but still mitigated by armor/talents) and our damage output reduced/adjusted to compensate.

We also have no defense aside from 20% aoe shield. Shield probe is a complete joke(50% damage absorbtion, does not work on all attacks, absorbs around 2k, 45secs cd, compare this to 5k sorcs shields on 15 secs cd), our evasion does not work on 90%+ of the attacks. The irony is that our defensive cds work really well against other snipers/gs's, but are a joke against anyone else.

Make our defensive cds work, or give us something else. Really, just giving us 1 get out of jail card would make this class so much more enjoyable. Vanish/sprint on 3 mins cd, something to be able to hit to at least try to escape. Or just make shield probe analogous to sorc's shield. 15 secs cd, self cast only, same absorb numbers, same mechanics(not affected by mortal strike debuff).

In terms of 1v1(assuming equal gear, 600+ exp), you will not beat any decent melee who knows when to use his cds and when to reset the fight. Sorcs/BHs are doable as long as there's no pillar around. Healing mercs are really tricky and require a well timed cc/interrupts.

Against melee, you only get 2 of any knockback/stun/mez before they get a full resolve so you have to rely on your root as much as possible. Since each melee has 2 or more escapes(vanish or jump, trinket, immunities, etc.), a slow, several cc's and way superior defensive cds, they will simply outlast your damage and demolish you once your cc/roots are used up. A geared maruader only needs around 8 seconds of uptime to kill your 16k hp 620 exp sniper through both shields. This is easily doable if he is good.

My low level sentinel alt completely demolishes snipers 1v1 and he is still lacking a bunch of cds.

Different strokes for different folks. I think SS is more "braindead". Roll into cover, armor debuff, aimed shot, trickshot, charged shot, trickshot, uncover, repeat, speedshot, etc. What "different" types of burst are you referring to? I guess I do have to pay more attention to where the game is going to throw me when covering - ever go to a lower level in Huttball NEXT to your target when you wanted to stay higher and out of reach? You only get Vital shot as a SS (and DF specs for longer Vital). Shrap bomb's 3 target DoT is quite a difference when outnumbered at a node. There aren't many who know that you have to cleanse a DF's dots or try to interrupt Wounding Shots. If it stays that way, I don't mind. Top 2 of damage, kills, and medals (for a non-healer) in 2/3 of my wz's is not a bad thing.

I do top damage with sharpshooter too. The thing is, i don't get damage just by dotting, but instead dealing real burst and killing people, not inflating my damage chart with DoTs.

Think about what you said. Rolling into cover for instant charged burst + trickshot as mobile damage while LOS'in rangeds. Using speedshot for procs or damage, getting sabotage + aimed + trickshot for burst. Those are way more skills and synergys between them than vital shot, shrap, hemo blast, trololol wounding shot.

Problem is, as you said not many know to dispell (that means those guys are scrubs), so what's the point on getting one build because scrubs fall into it easilly, that's not a real argument. It's like saying tracer missile/grav round is good because it owns scrubs who doesn't know to interrupt or LOS.

Edited by Keldaur

Not gonna lie, whenever I see a Sniper I think "Free kill." They are the only people squisher than me as a sage, and they have next to no burst so as long as I stun and interrupt they aren't gonna be able to get through da bubble fast enough for me to have to wait too long afore recasting it.

Whenever you see a sniper, they deserve to reroll sage if they don't entrench. No burst? Lmfao, legshot - you can't move. Ambush - 3k, goes through shield with about 1k afterwards (Your light armor mitigates very little!), Followthrough (This is "Weapon damage, and the tooltip says more than snipe. This is also instant, usable out of cover, and on a 9 (Talented to 6) second cooldown. Only usable folllowing a snipe or ambush). then I do instant snipe (First snipe upon entering cover is instant for 10 seconds or so).

All snipers are immune to interrupts while in cover.

All snipers are immune to all cc while entrenched.

I'm sorry, but any 30+ sniper that's skilled can decimate any melee, and any light/medium.

I've noticed followthrough isn't mitigated as easy as the other moves. Seeing as FT is what MM snipers do almost as much as spamming snipe, we do lots and lots of damage. You don't see good snipers because they're late bloomers. I only see high level snipers

a. Low levels are low and haven't decided that the class is underpowered

b. High levels already got to 30, and leveled up ridiculously fast afterwards.

So yeah, if every (Insert Race here) is a late bloomer, you'll see very few adults because they committed suicide before entering puberty and therefore didn't reproduce.

I also love it when a fellow sorc heals me, bubbles me, and when I'm guarded. I'm therefore invincible. The first time I got over 200k damage that match obliterating anyone who came near that door area on the floor. Of course some of it was luck that I blew entrench first so they wasted stuns. Then it ran out, but then their stuns are off cooldown and by the time they are not, I would've entrenched again.

Snipers are a glass cannon. defend them and they're an iron cannon. So tell me with only guns, how is infantry gonna take out a tank (And I mean the actual metal tread modern armors!)

Edited by Zunayson

now that i think of it, i almost never see a GS in WZs... i cant even remember the last time i saw one.

i see a sniper most times, and an operative (myself ><)

snipers are pretty good if they know how to take advantage of the ranged friendly aspects of WZs.

also, brb, i guess i left that 'run speed escape' ability on my trainer

• 2 weeks later...
I do top damage with sharpshooter too. The thing is, i don't get damage just by dotting, but instead dealing real burst and killing people, not inflating my damage chart with DoTs.

Think about what you said. Rolling into cover for instant charged burst + trickshot as mobile damage while LOS'in rangeds. Using speedshot for procs or damage, getting sabotage + aimed + trickshot for burst. Those are way more skills and synergys between them than vital shot, shrap, hemo blast, trololol wounding shot.

Problem is, as you said not many know to dispell (that means those guys are scrubs), so what's the point on getting one build because scrubs fall into it easilly, that's not a real argument. It's like saying tracer missile/grav round is good because it owns scrubs who doesn't know to interrupt or LOS.

I'm going to go back and try out SS to get your perspective. My concerns are mostly around the damage being mitigated by armor. But then again, I don't target tanks anyway if there's a healer or dps nearby.

My kills/killing blow ratio is usually better than 2 to 1. So I don't just go around dotting people and running off to let the ticks rack up +300K. That just doesn't happen. The dots only do real damage if you layer your full rotation and "trololol" wounding shot. Otherwise they're just utility for cap interrupts. But yes, as a SS I will still retain a lot of that ability since vital shot is instant cast.

I don't really have a concern over mobility for SS since you should always be resetting to gain LoS, rebuff ballistic shields, and insta-cast charged shots. The only issue is natural cover. That mechanic is just too unpredictable in the heat of battle. Just as an example, trying to pulse detonate people away from a door cap but failing because the cover roll throws me into the block next to the pillar on voidstar. Having to consciously remember now to target people first feels cumbersome.

But we'll see. Basically we both agree though that GS is a great class for PVP and not as dipsticky as a lot of people on this thread think.