"Lazy Listing" on auction:

FadeXF

I research list, but the market for most goods seemed so slow that I would need to invest far more time into the system than I'm willing to, just to turn a moderate profit over what I can get by questing/farming/vendoring.

Maybe the economy is stronger on the new server I've been playing on; I won't know, because I'm not even going to bother to engage in it, because it has practically no value, since everything is so readily attainable in this game.

Edited by Ansultares

• Replies 213
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

"

Secondly: when I am through making my millions... my goal being around 100mil sitting on my banker after my alts hit max level... I will be leaving the market and unless someone else carefully babysits and culls the markets, you will ultimately be killing your server's economy and hurting everyone in your community. You don't help anyone.

"

I've already come across certain materials and "saved" the markets... Tier4 materials that someone was neglecting to "buy low, sell high" that the pricing dropped to a staggering 34/mat... not lying... not exaggerating. I bought it all out. I dropped 100k on it basically... and in the last couple of weeks, the price for that item is now a more healthy 300-500 per item. No one was culling/working that product but me. I still have 1 stack left to sell of that product... but I've already sold about 5 stacks or so.

I'm just saying this: IF no one culls the markets, then your theory that everyone wins is incorrect. The market value will default to Bioware's default and go DOWN from that point. If the market value is set at 500-1k per mat and goes DOWN from there, the items STILL SELL... and the items value NEVER reaches Bioware's ridiculous default setting.

Yes, yes glad you are the saviour to the economy of this game. I really dont care. If I decide to buy things from the AH I will buy the lowest price regardless if you are around or not.

excuse me for pointing this out but why are you so concerned about money in the first place. this isn't wow in case you haven't noticed. I don't need to use the AH to make huge piles of credits but also just to get all the useless junk out of my inventory space.

So you prize items like they're real gold. good for you but I personally don't put that much value on credits. even spending that much conern in real life is called rubbing two pennies together.

A fair argument can be made that it's more efficient to just use default pricing than deal with market research through SWTOR's horrible auction house interface.

this is what i have defaulted to.

as someone who has played the ah in other games, i jut do not feel like wading through the really poor ah ui. i have more credits than i need so whatever is quicker so i can go back to pvping works great for me.

if you are able to make a ton of credits buying my items and spending hours playing the ah, good for you.

i wish i could find someone on my server who does this and i would just mail him items for the ah price.

As someone who has an almost gold capped JC in 'another mmo', this argument seems strangely familiar, yet I cant help but think that in this game, I dont care so much since credits are easy to come by and theres nothing to spend them on anyway. I just play the game, and by doing so, I always have more credis than I need, can always buy whatever I want when I want it.

That being said, I dint mind people at all listing stuff for ridiculous low prices...you know people list stuff on the gtn for less than vendor price? Yes, they really do!

You know what I have sold nothing on the GTN. I listed one Item. a Jedi Battlelords Robes. Asked 200k in under 20 minutes got a lower cash offer and took it. It cost me nothing to get it was loot and I dont like its look. I use the Malestrom robe.

Every thing else, from cheap crap to purples I use, put on comps or sell to trash vendors. didnt cost me nothing I made money. heck I make over 150k just doing dailys with out selling any thing. Why play the GTN?

There is nothing to buy but repair bills.

Everyone does it bro, its common since. When I see something newly posted at a lower credit cost I snag it and mark it up. I've been known to buy all of one material and rename the market price for it from time to time.

Ultimately credits don't do anything but repairs.

:rak_grin:"awesome you play tor?" :csw_jabbapet: "hell yeah that game is the buiseness!" :rak_eek:"what class are you?"

:csw_jabbapet: "Imperial stock broker" :rak_confused:"what?"

Edited by Folgrin

Why play the GTN?

*shrug* I don't know. I guess people did the same in WoW, and think it matters somehow here. I honestly don't know why they bother posting here unless it's just to insult everyone else so they can feel better about something.

Everyone does it bro, its common sense.

No, not everyone does it. That's simply a falsehood.

Edited by terminova

I don't take the default. I change it to about 75-80% of that. I don't want the item back. I vendor anything green obviously and don't want to waste my time working the auction house. Just give me more than I can get selling it to a vendor.

/signed

If there are people out there that collect their epeen working the GTN, fine. I really don't need them to put it in the forum. I don't care.

OP.... I DON"T CARE.

Edited by Andryah

Who the hell cares about money?

You make it off lazy listers? Whoppee! Now you have all this money that you can spend at level 50 on.....? I regularly give 40k to lowbies so they can buy their speeders, that's how much I care at this point about money.

Love these fail threads.

Edited by kristoffbrujah

A fair argument can be made that it's more efficient to just use default pricing than deal with market research through SWTOR's horrible auction house interface.

The truth is strong in this one.

The current GTN interface is hideous. We should force the devs to use it daily to pay bills, surf the web and do anything else computer related. I imagine it'd be fixed in less than a week after that.

I'm just saying this: IF no one culls the markets, then your theory that everyone wins is incorrect. The market value will default to Bioware's default and go DOWN from that point. If the market value is set at 500-1k per mat and goes DOWN from there, the items STILL SELL... and the items value NEVER reaches Bioware's ridiculous default setting.

Which makes it easier for the crafters to craft, and people to gear up, crafted items become cheaper as the cost to make them drops.

All you do is drive up prices, people can't afford items resort to buying credit, the glut of credits drive up the prices more, causing ridiculous inflation.

Like I said: there were some listings for T4 items I bought out where the market already dropped to 38/mat... I didn't check yet, but I suspect that is damned near the vendor trash listing for that item.

By "resetting" the prices to a much more reasonable 400-500/per (valuation at a level 50 credits per hour) material, I have made the market a more profitable place for everyone.

You realize what you just said? You are basically stating that margin compression, through inflated commodity prices (that's what crafting materials are), is profitable for everyone.

You didn't happen to learn Economics from a guy called Ben S. Bernanke, did you?

I "lazy list" junk I loot. Time is too precious to go through the rather clunky gtn and find the price of every single item at the end of the night.

However, stuff I craft or things I imagine may be worth a little more I will investigate and price accordingly. If it's the only item of its kind on the gtn I price similarly to like-items. Otherwise, I price match with others to play nice.

Enjoy your millions if that's what does it for ya. I'm not looking to get rich in the game.

Edited by Lunazen

Dear Bioware: why? Why did you include a default... and one that has zero rhyme or reason to what is currently happening on the market? I could understand if this number fluctuated and changed based on the average last 20 items sold... but it doesn't. it stays constantly painfully... stupidly low. Can you either a) REMOVE a default number as a price list or b) have it AVERAGE the last 20-40 items sold of a certain item... make the number more MEANINGFUL?

My personal feeling is that the AH system was designed by someone with strong opinions about "fair play" in business and a tendency towards command economics, but that's fundamentally constrained by the design goal of letting the AH develop on its own once it went live.

Virtually all MMO ah systems I've come across treat the AH like a classifieds section (ebay/craiglist/etc). There seems to be a strong tendency amongst mmo designers to either not understand the commodities market aspects of in-game trading, or to suffer from the man-on-the-street/intelligentsia attitude that market trading is morally questionable. This attitude has already been reflected several times in this thread & virtually always is within 5 posts in threads like these.

The commodities market side of swtor is pretty terrible. The designers could really benefit from getting a bare-bones brokerage account & discovering how electronic trading of shares works, and then accepting that virtually all basic trade components & consumables are actually generic share/commodity style products. If the item is generic then it should be treated like a share/commodity (i.e. virtually any item that can be stacked, and even a few of the unstackables like missions).

You don't see people routinely buying crude oil, iron ore & the weekly groceries on classifieds lists. Having artifact fragments, green goo and medpacs on an classified-style listing system is equally silly.

And as far as the default prices go... lol... that's just a frustrated command economist trying to nudge things in what they think is the right direction, imo. If they wanted it to attempt to be fair to buyer & seller, it'd automate to posting at-market (or at last market price, or at-market for the same level of that slot of item in the case of gear).

Edited by Lakhesis

I'm a lazy lister, but depending on what items...

I just threw up 8 blue lv 27-35 items on GTM, and just went with default price. Why?

Because I wont bother check prices on stuff, I woulda normally just vendored anyway.

With 17.4M creds in my wallet, its not like I need more. (Yes, this was a brag, sorry).

You proberly have more than OP, and his bashing his head in to figure out how that is possible :D

My personal feeling is that the AH system was designed by someone with strong opinions about "fair play" in business and a tendency towards command economics, but that's fundamentally constrained by the design goal of letting the AH develop on its own once it went live.

Virtually all MMO ah systems I've come across treat the AH like a classifieds section (ebay/craiglist/etc). There seems to be a strong tendency amongst mmo designers to either not understand the commodities market aspects of in-game trading, or to suffer from the man-on-the-street/intelligentsia attitude that market trading is morally questionable. This attitude has already been reflected several times in this thread & virtually always is within 5 posts in threads like these.

The commodities market side of swtor is pretty terrible. The designers could really benefit from getting a bare-bones brokerage account & discovering how electronic trading of shares works, and then accepting that virtually all basic trade components & consumables are actually generic share/commodity style products. If the item is generic then it should be treated like a share/commodity (i.e. virtually any item that can be stacked, and even a few of the unstackables like missions).

You don't see people routinely buying crude oil, iron ore & the weekly groceries on classifieds lists. Having artifact fragments, green goo and medpacs on an classified-style listing system is equally silly.

And as far as the default prices go... lol... that's just a frustrated command economist trying to nudge things in what they think is the right direction, imo. If they wanted it to attempt to be fair to buyer & seller, it'd automate to posting at-market (or at last market price, or at-market for the same level of that slot of item in the case of gear).

They don't want the game telling people what to sell something for, that's why the GTN system doesn't set the default price to what someone else is selling it at. What's it's trying to tell you is what the lowest you should probably sell the item(s) for. I mean, it could just put 0 there instead and have the player guess what the vendor value is.

The reason devs treat their AH system like classifieds is because THAT is what they are: classifieds, or an unattended flea market. Think of how this worked before in other games. In Diablo people spammed chat selling the items they had. In GW people stood in the towns shouting their wares for hours. The AH systems simplify that and allow the players to actually play the game while their items are listed instead of having to stand somewhere shouting to the world what they have to sell.

It is not laziness, it is a desperation. It takes terribly long to find out the price of item I want to sell. And when I am near to the point of finding out, my companion returns from a mission. So I try again, get really close and boom, another one returns from a mission. So I just take the item, round up the default price and I am done with it. Untill the joke called GTN is remade, I guess people like you will have a good way of aerning money. Do not take me wrong, I have no problem with that. On the contrary, I admire your patience :)