[Official High Resolution Textures Post] Can we get a clarification on this?

Adelbert

• Replies 396
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I hope so but no mention of it yet doesn't bode well.

They are not going to put them back in. Bioware has proved themselves absloute rookies in the MMO genre on every level. the game had huge potetial, they needed strog Dev team leaders that had years of expierence in this genre.

I second this also. The beta ran better then it does now.

I for one need a few things fixed befor i will resub this game.

If I recall correctly the client suddenly ran worse around the time they also took out the AA option in late beta. So my guess was that while removing defunct elements, they also tried some "optimizations" which didn't went so well.

i agree. Beta ran better then this release.

That agree with did 2 of the 3 beta weekends (1 and 2). The game looked a lot better in them and also performed a lot better. Only issue had was could not use X-Fire or the trees would shutter. Even with a single GPU was getting 80 FPS on highest settings. And the zones was packed full of players.

Now the game has lower res graphics and single GPU can only get 50 FPS. But I did not do PvP. So maybe that is the area the engine had problems.

GPU ATI 5970.

Something that is interesting LOTRO has high rez graphics and performed great. No longer play since Turbine is using .net 1.1 and Windows no longer supports it. Only 4.0 is supported now.

Edited by Romiz

This is becoming less about an issue involving graphics, and more about an issue involving competency and dishonesty. Bioware has lost credibility over an issue that they frankly should not have. For the life of me, I cannot understand how companies manage to F*ck up public relations as badly as some do. I understand not wanting to be criticized for underdelivering on a product, and the negative perceptions that may come with announcing that, because it's bad for business.

When a company attempts to decieve customers about underdelivering, however, especially in such a nonsensical manner as stating it would be there, and then after launch announcing, "despite many people having seen and experienced the hi-res version of the game, it never existed, it was just a bug, and you never saw what you saw," does far more damage to their reputation than simply admitting failure.

The only excuse for such a stupid PR gaffe is that it wasn't a gaffe, and they were protecting box sales. That makes the situation even worse. Now, you've left the community with the notion that not only were you not able to deliver the quality of product that you announced, but then you willfully misled them to believe that level of quality would be in your final product while knowing that, at least initially, it wouldn't, and you did so purely in the interest of profit maximization.

If Bioware had simply been honest and open with everyone from the start, there wouldn't be thousands of posts, and thousands of angry customers, demanding to know when this issue will be fixed. In essesnce, they poured gasoline all over the issue when they could have just as easily blown out the match.

And that, ladies and gentlemen, is what happens when stupid people are put in charge of corporate PR.

Here's what I don't get:

1. Communication with the server is all about interaction, as in what gets clicked, when. Graphics are handled by the client's machine. So higher res textures wouldn't stress their servers at all, would they?

2. Can't games be able to detect a user's system/graphics capabilities and adjust accordingly? If they were afraid they'd get too many low performance complaints because everyone's trying to use high-res textures when some shouldn't be, they could automatically "lock" those textures away until the user gets better specs.

At least they all exist. It's possible they're going to wait a couple years for people's computers to improve overall, then release high-res textures as a nice new update or something.

Question: When we downloaded the 25mb game, those textures were still IN it right? It's not like we'd have to download a giant patch to get them. (I'm pretty sure we have them in our computer now, especially since we see them in cutscenes.) What I'm getting at is that we do HAVE them but just need to UNLOCK them. Unlocking texture files seems like something a 3rd-party program could do. Not suggesting anything, just saying... theoretically.

Edited by Stenrik

Here's what I don't get:

1. Communication with the server is all about interaction, as in what gets clicked, when. Graphics are handled by the client's machine. So higher res textures wouldn't stress their servers at all, would they?

2. Can't games be able to detect a user's system/graphics capabilities and adjust accordingly? If they were afraid they'd get too many low performance complaints because everyone's trying to use high-res textures when some shouldn't be, they could automatically "lock" those textures away until the user gets better specs.

At least they all exist. It's possible they're going to wait a couple years for people's computers to improve overall, then release high-res textures as a nice new update or something.

Question: When we downloaded the 25mb game, those textures were still IN it right? It's not like we'd have to download a giant patch to get them. (I'm pretty sure we have them in our computer now, especially since we see them in cutscenes.) What I'm getting at is that we do HAVE them but just need to UNLOCK them. Unlocking texture files seems like something a 3rd-party program could do. Not suggesting anything, just saying... theoretically.

Indeed. I'm actually surprised that no one has actually done this yet. There has to be some simple kind of code to just remove. Like a lock. Change some numbers somewhere or something.

But I don't know. I know nothing of programming. I'm just extremely bothered by the fact that those textures are in my game folder on my SSD, waiting to be used. I just wish the game would assume everything is a cutscene and therefor applies high-res textures.

IT'S RIGHT THERE!!! I CAN SEE IT! :(

Edited by Athrins

Here's what I don't get:

1) You are correct that the graphics are rendered locally and are tied to the power of your individual machines more than anything else. However, higher textures still need to be loaded into memory (both on your graphics card and depending on the system cached in system RAM) - anything you add to the layer is taking away from something else. I believe a large part of them not wanting to do it at this stage is because people will start complaining about their FPS, lag, etc. and be unwilling to blame the rendering engine because their machines are so 'uber'. It will add a lot of unhappy people that are currently content.

2) Pretty much every current generation game runs a profiler when you start it and tries to detect optimum settings. They rarely get it right for whatever reason and, by design, err on the side of caution. SO - they would still most likely tick a lot of systems down to the medium range so that they could be sure you wouldn't suffer from FPS issues or tearing, or filling texture RAM and causing swapping, etc. So you would be in the same boat unless you hit whatever threshold was set for the BEST system.

As for the last part - it was a lot more than 25MB of files. ;p BUT - to answer your question, no - you can't just swap in the better ones yourself. Every time you start the product it runs through and validates that things are where they are supposed to be. If you, for instance, were able to replace the medium textures with high textures the game would simply swap them back (downloading all over again) the first time you tried to run it. That is also why you can't muck around with the code of the application itself - it runs a checksum against the file(s) to make sure they are what they are supposed to be to avoid hacking. Hacking the client/server stream is different and is how things like speed-hacks take place... those are real-time and involve a program sniffing memory and replacing packets with other ones (and hoping the server isn't smart enough to figure it out).

1) You are correct that the graphics are rendered locally and are tied to the power of your individual machines more than anything else. However, higher textures still need to be loaded into memory (both on your graphics card and depending on the system cached in system RAM) - anything you add to the layer is taking away from something else. I believe a large part of them not wanting to do it at this stage is because people will start complaining about their FPS, lag, etc. and be unwilling to blame the rendering engine because their machines are so 'uber'. It will add a lot of unhappy people that are currently content.

2) Pretty much every current generation game runs a profiler when you start it and tries to detect optimum settings. They rarely get it right for whatever reason and, by design, err on the side of caution. SO - they would still most likely tick a lot of systems down to the medium range so that they could be sure you wouldn't suffer from FPS issues or tearing, or filling texture RAM and causing swapping, etc. So you would be in the same boat unless you hit whatever threshold was set for the BEST system.

As for the last part - it was a lot more than 25MB of files. ;p BUT - to answer your question, no - you can't just swap in the better ones yourself. Every time you start the product it runs through and validates that things are where they are supposed to be. If you, for instance, were able to replace the medium textures with high textures the game would simply swap them back (downloading all over again) the first time you tried to run it. That is also why you can't muck around with the code of the application itself - it runs a checksum against the file(s) to make sure they are what they are supposed to be to avoid hacking. Hacking the client/server stream is different and is how things like speed-hacks take place... those are real-time and involve a program sniffing memory and replacing packets with other ones (and hoping the server isn't smart enough to figure it out).

It's TEXTURE RENDERER QUALITY not TEXTURE QUALITY.

WE DO NOT LOAD LOW TEXTURE QUALITY FILES. WE LOAD THE SAME FILE FOR LOW MEDIUM AND "HIGH"; BUT OUR GPU IS FORCED TO RENDER THEM HALF******* BICUBIC CROPPED SO THEY LOOK LIKE color misplaced blurry *****.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Texture_atlas

Sorry for the caps but it works to get attention. :D

There is no memory altering that will fix that, there is no file exchanging even within .TOR files that can help you. (Even if it would be possible to repack them with the right signature - extraction is already possible).

You are not going to decompile, decrypt and change the very basics of rendering in the .dll and engine files within the client without insider informations. ;)

Edited by -sasori

So, the last time I came to this thread was around 1 month ago or more...

I just read a few posts and by the looks of it, we are still on the same position we had 1 month or more ago...

So this graphics issue are even being addressed or Bioware are just quietly waiting till everyone forgets about it? The second alternative is working BTW coz the new players don't even know about it...

I just came from a discussion with some players in general that say they have high textures coz they "settings say so..." Obviously they don't have the "eye" for it... They are just blindly trusting what their games are telling them...

If this is the strategy here, it's working... And probably will get my sub cancelled soon... I'm doing my part waiting patiently but I'm not an idiot...

So, the last time I came to this thread was around 1 month ago or more...

I just read a few posts and by the looks of it, we are still on the same position we had 1 month or more ago...

So this graphics issue are even being addressed or Bioware are just quietly waiting till everyone forgets about it? The second alternative is working BTW coz the new players don't even know about it...

I just came from a discussion with some players in general that say they have high textures coz they "settings say so..." Obviously they don't have the "eye" for it... They are just blindly trusting what their games are telling them...

If this is the strategy here, it's working... And probably will get my sub cancelled soon... I'm doing my part waiting patiently but I'm not an idiot...

Its true same position as last month because THERE WAS NO UPDATE IN OVER A MONTH :mad:

Bioware can you confirm or deny that high res textures are coming with 1.2 as promised?

I don't recall Bioware ever "promising" when high res textures would be in game. All they have stated is that they have people working on it.

I want them in-game as much anyone but it has to be done right or another 1000 whine threads will be started.