Giving a grace period for STAR WARS: The Old Republic

GregZeschuk

• Replies 601
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow, this is actually very unexpected at this point. Was half expecting it to be "About grace period on SWTOR." with text about "Why we decided not to give grace period.":D

Must have taken some effort to get at least 2 days. Thank you!:)

So we're still 3 days down on the official deal as presented by the SWTOR Protocol Droids as late as the 9th of this month. But even so, yes - this can and will go some ways toward restoring consumer confidence and good will. I'm sure there are still many of us who wish to know what the Dickens happened, and why that was. The press release that started this thread ignores the role EA/Bioware played in making this problem, by inconsistency and last minute changes without explanation or honesty as to what had gone before.

The post near the bottom of this page by LagunaD seems to cover the basics well:

http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:kEHoYGga1coJ:www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php%3Fp%3D12045669+&cd=1&hl=en&ct=clnk&client=firefox-a

So whilst I'm certainly happy we've seen this partial reversal, let's not go nuts and forget what happened, and how it happened.

Not in my case, no, it will not lessen my concern, since I have had NO info from GameStop.com regarding when they will ship my CE.

And 2 days is all we are getting?? That is... dissapointing, to say the least.

I wish we could get some info about the resonings as to why GS and other retailers won't ship until Dec 20th, wich is very late to start shipping...

Will you people PLEASE stop whining now!?!?!!!

You all had the opportunity to pre-order in July. Some of you chose to order antiquated version in boxes. Bioware give you all the following:

1) Access to beta.

2) 1-7 (probably more like 4-7) days of FREE early access.

3) 2 day grace period.

4) So far a seamless launch from a game stability and accessibility standpoint.

I've never seen a more ungrateful community in all my years of gaming. :rolleyes:

Well, I say WELL DONE Bioware, and I truly mean it. :ph_thank_you:

To the extent that your claim of punishing the wronged party (ie, all of us) isn't some kind of postmodern comedy, you have my sympathy.

You are so far off base that there are no words. "Hysterical delusion"? Saints preserve us.

Go here, scroll down and read the post by LagunaD, it goes from left to right:

http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:kEHoYGga1coJ:www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php%3Fp%3D12045669+&cd=1&hl=en&ct=clnk&client=firefox-a

Near as I can tell, only one gaming press (not fan press) outfit and writer had the stones and wit to cover this, a BIG story about a own-goaled launch of perhaps the most ambitious, most expensive MMO in history. Said outfit being Kotaku AU and said writer being one Mark Serrels. Have a read here, along with the comments from posters just like everyone else equally disadvantaged over this mess:

http://www.kotaku.com.au/2011/12/star-wars-the-old-republic-and-the-grace-period-fiasco/

To the extent that this piece helped in any way to speed the plow to this point, we ought to be grateful it saw print, when many other online vendors and press organs (I use that latter term advisedly) knew about it and didn't give a toss.

I'll be thanking him, and all of us who said "Not good enough, damn it". I just hope that this experience will encourage EA/Bioware to remember what it means to jerk us around after giving us an undertaking, and to more than redouble their efforts to manage this potentially outstanding MMO better - including clear and reliable, consistent official communication at all times. We deserve nothing less, and they know it.

And THIS is the response Bioware gets for jumping to and attempting to fix things to please their fans.

More sourness and self congratulations about being a "rusty squeaky wheel". If you don't like Bioware and are not willing to give them the benefit of the doubt, on this their LARGEST UNDERTAKING EVER.....then please go away and go verbally abuse some other gaming company.

You are not worthy.

Should have pre ordered/entered your code sooner like the rest of us.

Should have but couldn't, didn't know up until last weekend whether I was going to have to sit this one out..or would be able to purchase. Xmas came early for me, thankfully..so here I am.

I have no complaints other than I am bit worried about that Origins application, that's where I pre-ordered from, hopefully someone takes a look at it to make sure it's functioning, and spits out those keycodes when it should. Only because I saw someone post that Origins had cancelled her pre-order on her without her knowledge, and was still going to charge her for the cancelled product.

But then again I tend to worry over details...:)

Well done.

Amazon got their act together and I'll be getting my copy before the 20 (tomorrow they claim) so this no longer affects me personally, but I still believe this was the right thing to do for the customers who pre-ordered and may not get their deliveries on time.

Also, from SR's tweets it seems someone at BioWare was rattling Amazon's cage to make sure they got their boxes out, so give that person a big thanks from me!

This is important to pay attention to.

EA/Bioware messed this up. See this post at the bottom of the page by LagunaD:

Their solution appears - at least in part - to have made it Amazon (and the retailers') problem to fix for them and us.

Is it incredibly lucky for us (and EA/Bioware) that Amazon wanted to play ball - and were able to do so - under these terms, as they appear to be doing? I certainly think so - this time of year is crazy for shipping and still EA/Bioware persisted with their launch and when it went pear shaped by their own hand, asked for third parties to magic away the problem whilst stonewalling until the last minute about the reinstatement of the rescinded grace period.

Near as I can tell at this stage, Amazon has looted some pretty sweet reputation-boosting Commendations off the self-harmed corpse that is EA/Bioware's launch of this MMO. I am not likely to forget how they came to the fore on this, and I daresay others will be equally more favorably disposed than they might have been in the past.

My question is, if I've got EGA and I play until the 22nd, but my code doesn't get here until after that and I lose access, will I also lose my characters and everything I've worked at? I'm in Belgium and I don't expect to get it until just after Christmas/early January.

No Bioware won't delete your progress or your characters. You just won't be able to access your account til you put in your payment details in and your code too.

I have been sitting in front of my computer with tabs up on everything that might give me instant notification that i have received my EGA, while waiting i have been on the forums looking at all the posts by people in the same boat as i am.

I gotta say i am disgusted by the negative posts i have seen directed at Bioware, I know for a fact they are doing their absolute best to not destroy their own game or community but i have seen idk how many posts of people just being insanely aggravated at having to wait a possible 5 days after waiting over 2 years. Please people calm down and calmly go over it.

Bioware has my trust and i know they will do everything they can to keep this game from imploding in my face by trying to please everyone.

Do what you need to do

I will see you all by the 20th:cool:

Aren't you special. Pipe down there francis, and as far as i can see there is no mess here.

Anything goes, huh? I missed have missed that bit where the BUSINESS is always right, no matter how shabbily they treat their customers. As did the thousands of your fellow gamers equally of the same mind at the announcement of this news, represented on the boards.

But sure, patronize away. It helps to build your reputation and foster team spirit!

just curious, i know this probably isn't the right thread to ask, but everyone who pre-order,they 100% will get to play before the 20th or is it just lucky million or so? :rolleyes:

:wea_07: BY THE LIGHT OF THE MOON :wea_08: