Just hit 50, 30min ago... couple things...

DrkHunt

Opened 6 champ bags after i hit 50 Valor (was sitting on max 49 valor when I hit 50)... no pieces... with the points I had I bough off hand champ pistol, cent ear piece/implants and a relic ...

played multiple WZs... did very poor damage to most players... went from 6-8 medals usually in a 20-49 lvl game to 2-3.

3/4 games did not have enough players for a full game... during one instance of huttball the opp team just held the ball and got the win, not sure if it counted for them...

last game not enough players for the 3 Turret WZ... we won but got no credit.

I feel dirty cause I have to scrouge for a medal... saving my instajib shot for a low health guy just so I can get a killing blow... throwing frags all around just trying to get some damage...

also went from 125k - 200k damage down to mid 60s...

Just some observations, it is going to be a very long *** road to get gear and be compedative...

my gear previously before the bags was lvl 40 pvp w/ 2 lvl 50 blasters.

Logon Gunslinger - Fa'athra Server

Edited by DrkHunt

It's ok bro. Gear didn't make me better. Repetitive play made me better. If you just want to stand in one spot and hit the keybinds, well, there's a DPS class for that, and if you don't like that, then don't play that. I'm not being mean, I'm just offering some advice: if you don't like playing your class, maybe you're playing the wrong class.

Not mad, they were just my observations about pvp on my server as a new 50, and I am an adult.

Anywhere in my first post did I say I was angry or upset ?

Took my almost 6 days of play time to hit 50, most of it PVP.

Edited by DrkHunt

Welcome to the big leagues.

Seriously though, you can' expect to stomp on people like you did in the nub bracket, especially with the type of gear you have described. Andante wrote a nice guide for new 50's to bridge the gap between their teir 2 stuff and the crap they have when they ding, you can find it here: http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=222960

Don't get discouraged. Put in the time, gear up, and you will be rewarded.

edit: Once you gear up you will find that the 50's bracket is much more fun, because you will have less morons who don't know which way is up on both sides.

Edited by LiveandDieinLA

a few options

1) do some "pve" stuff to gear up - like getting gear from daily commendations

2) buy the best gear you can from the GTN

3) keep pvp'ing. in a couple of weeks you'll have all champ (or worse case champ mixed with cent gear)

things will improve dramatically with any of the above

yeah i made the HUGE Mistake of not doing much pvp at all while leving my jugg. i was full pve gear when i hit 50, but i blew about 400K on the best mods the AH had to get as high up as i could in gear but still hit like a wet noodle. my white focus generating attacks hit for a few hundred. i have never received the 2.5K single hit medal since 50.

i rolled a new toon on republic and have way more fun getting quick queues in the 10-49 bracket and pretty much always feel at least competitive. its also nice actually playing voidstar and alderaan with some regularity, instead of non stop huttball where everyone wants me to run the ball for zero points. im all up for playing tank and running the ball but not yet fellas, i need gear. doing objectives does not get me gear quickly, stat padding does. sorry. so i get the ball and i instantly pass it then throw guard up and aoe taunt and get 3 defe badges instantly, but rarely exceed 80K damage.

This is your issue. You don't need Champ/Cent gear, you just need decent Level 50 gear. Most of your gear is ten levels below what it should be...

Make sure you have at least Blue 50 gear in every slot and you'll suddenly find that there isn't as big a gulf between you and the others.

You also need to realise that the 10-49 bracket has a lot of soft targets in it, more casual players in worse gear and so on. While casuals are starting to get to 50 the majority of your opponents are experienced, skilled PVPers now. You need to (1) Upgear so you're not a liability to your team and (2) realise that while doing well in the 10-49 bracket with a character in their 40s may make you think you're good... you're not quite as good as you think.

I had a few problems when I first started PvPing at level 50 as well, but that didn't last long. I finished Corellia and had some decent gear from heroics and commendations to back me up...plus I'm playing a Shield spec Vanguard, so that might be a factor as well. Granted, my damage was nil until I got a few more Champ pieces, but I owned Voidstar many times, pushing through the line and placing bombs. It was fun. I'm still not that well geared (only about 4 pieces of Champion gear and 1 piece of Centurion) but I usually finish in the top 5 on kills and/or objectives in each match. I'm loving it.

I guess what I'm trying to say is, don't worry too much, you'll fall into a rhythm eventually. I honestly think that's the problem that people have more than gear issues...they just don't know how PvP "works" in SWTOR at first. This is by no means an elitist statement, mind you. It happened to me, too. The mechanics, movement, abilities, etc aren't quite as lightning-fast as WoW PvP (which is where a lot of people get their experience from) and their expectations are different from the reality of the situation. A couple pieces of gear and some experience and you'll do fine.

Then again, this is just my personal experience with "fresh meat" level 50 PvP. I can't speak for everyone.

Opened 6 champ bags after i hit 50 Valor (was sitting on max 49 valor when I hit 50)... no pieces... with the points I had I bough off hand champ pistol, cent ear piece/implants and a relic ...

played multiple WZs... did very poor damage to most players... went from 6-8 medals usually in a 20-49 lvl game to 2-3.

3/4 games did not have enough players for a full game... during one instance of huttball the opp team just held the ball and got the win, not sure if it counted for them...

I feel dirty cause I have to scrouge for a medal... saving my instajib shot for a low health guy just so I can get a killing blow... throwing frags all around just trying to get some damage...

Just some observations, it is going to be a very long *** road to get gear and be compedative...

First off if you are running the SS tree, stop AOEing. The grendade barely does damage. Rotate Aimed Shot, Charged Burt's, Quick Shot, Trick Shot and Rapid Shot. Also buy orange gear and get the Mods from the dailys on PVE Ilum. Buy as many 22 level mods from the GTN. I have run half champ half orange gear a week after 50 and I have been doing 200-300K every game

Firstly you made bad buys.

With 90 cent comms you could have bought 2 pieces of your armor set which is much more useful than your implants and earpiece which you should try to bypass cent ones for champ as they are better.

The weapon wasnt a bad buy, but the set bonus for starting out is much more important.

Afterall if you cant survive you cant compete!

Firstly you made bad buys.

With 90 cent comms you could have bought 2 pieces of your armor set which is much more useful than your implants and earpiece which you should try to bypass cent ones for champ as they are better.

The weapon wasnt a bad buy, but the set bonus for starting out is much more important.

Afterall if you cant survive you cant compete!

Damn, set bonus for healing operatives blows, you dps guys are spoiled.

no offence but they changed the bag system for people like you. You were able to get pvp gear right off the bat hitting 50 by the sounds of it, which is more than i got. What more do you want

He wants to aquire gear the same way you did, by killing level 10-49s

When I dinged 50 last night...

I got no pieces from the bags. I bought the robe and leggs with my centurion comms. I bought the relic with my champion coms.

I then went to the AH and bought level 49 and 50 blue gear and the blue 22 mods to go into it. I spent roughly 120,000 credits.

I started PvPing as a sorc 31-point heals with 12560 hitpoints. I do an average of 250,000 healing per BG. I can get 75k damage if I try, not just tab+affliction like I usually do. (20% snare)

My trinkets are an embarrasment. Level 17 and level 29. Gotta hit Light IV already! :S

Go to the GTN and buy yourself some decent gear if you expect to not get 3-shot.

Edited by AntoniusDelitan

a few options

1) do some "pve" stuff to gear up - like getting gear from daily commendations

2) buy the best gear you can from the GTN

3) keep pvp'ing. in a couple of weeks you'll have all champ (or worse case champ mixed with cent gear)

things will improve dramatically with any of the above

In a couple of weeks?

The new system is a joke. It was already super fast to get gear, today I've gained over 100 Centurion Comms - Was almost at 800WZ Coms so that's 15 ... completed both Dailies ... 45 ... finished Weekly - 90, by that time I had just about enough for another bag ... 105. On top of that I've shot up like 150expertise LAWL :p sh*t is CrAzAY.

For this guy it shouldn't be too bad because he's a pretty high Valor Rank hitting 50 but what are the guys going to do for months when they ding at a Valor Rank in the teens like so many do?

I'm dreading the 50 ding too. Pains me inside I have to let people farm me for a bit before I can show em how it's done :p

Mate, it's pretty simple. Pre-L50 PvP gear is worthless so save 1000WZ Coms and 1000Merc Coms - 5 bags straight off the bat 75 Cent Coms and 35 Champ Coms. Just PLAY 1 WZ and you get ANOTHER bag = 90 Cent 42 Champ Coms.

So 15 minutes work and that's enough for around 200expertise. Problem solved. Game cheapened, watch people get bored very quickly :D

It'll take you one week to get gear up and become pvp-competitive. WZ and Ilum Weekly gets you 6 bags, If you do dailies consistently you get 14 bags for the entire week, total of 20 bags.

Not to mention extras you'll get from commendations.

20 bags = 300 centurion and 140 champion. That's enough to suit you up.

This is the problem. Working as intended now you arent being boosted or fighting lowbies- your gear isnt up to par. Even throwing in the few bits of Cent you would have earned from bags, you need to have everything at a decent level if you expect to hold it down in PvP

He wants to aquire gear the same way you did, by killing level 10-49s

And what about me? I hit 50 after the bracket and had to grind the gear for the last week and a half when someone hitting L50 today (if they've saved their WZ and Merc coms) can have 90 Cent Coms and 42 Champ coms by merely playing a WZ.

That's almost as much as me for 15 mins 'work' :p

They should have made it 6 WZ coms and 3 Champs per bag. All this system is going to do is give EVERYONE their tier1 and 2 pretty much straight away whilst most will be weeks away from Rank 60 Valor ... they'll get bored and want that lowered, BW will cave, new BM will be at Rank 50 V, whole system gets n00bified.

Instead, just give them some expertise in their pre-L50 PvP gear. Makes WZcoms and Merc Coms actually mean something then before L50 also.