Absolutely mind-boggling that this was released. Mind-boggling.

Xyzed

If I was in the boss' shoes, then how would I start tomorrow? By an email of course!

To: Every SWTOR Product Manager / Producer / Lead Designer / Principal

Cc: My Boss

Subject: Absolutely mind-boggling that this was released. Mind-boggling.

Hi All,

Meeting in 10 minutes in room Camp the Rebel Base Ilum.

Thanks,

FACEONGLASS

I have to start the day with a simple email to get the troops up and going. They know they are about to get an *** chewing so I use keywords like "mind-boggling" and adverbs like "absolutely" to stress my concern for the patch that was released.

Now that I have all my employees in a room with me, then what am I going to say to them as they settle down?

I will start the meeting with the phrase:

What the @#$@?

Then I would wait for the blank stares to go away and ask the question again:

What the @#$@?

Then I would randomly select a volunteer and that volunteer being responisble for QA ask him/her:

What the @#$@?

Then I would take that randomly selected volunteer and call out the he/she responsible for "Open World PvP" and ask him/her:

Gabe, What the @#$@? Seriously, what the @#$@?

I am frustrated.

I am not the only one.

I don't understand what is going through the minds at SWTOR HQ but this type of patching is frustrating and pissing off a lot of people. Fix the process and in turn you will fix the problem.

There is an issue with the process of testing out content and fixing bugs. There may be a process but it is absolute @#$@.

For some odd reason, the gaming industry puts itself on this imaginary pedastool of douchebaggery and of being all mighty to allow itself to @#$@ on its' customers. Then they play the psychological game of "oh, you are right we found the issue and are going to fix it right away" to "calm the masses" and get praise once again. Then, if it still doesn't get fixed, it is suddenly "our" and "our" being the customer fault due to the ever changing requirements. It is a vicious cycle of absolute ****. It is regressive and un-innovative. This is why companies and games fail. They do not know how to admit their mistakes and they have people in leadership roles that have no desire to make the changes necessary to their organization in order to be successful. They want to collect a paycheck, do their years in the industry, collect their options, and then move to the next big thing. Man up, be a leader, and take pride in the product you released.

What needs to be done?

Bring the persons responsible for development and QA to review the process. If there is more than 3 people, then this is an organizational problem. Assign a point of contact because everyone has their own agenda.

Improve the process. The game is new, so do it now while we are early in the process with tons of subscribers rather than later with no subscribers. You guys NEED to be proactive.

I cannot stress this enough. This type of patching absolutey cannot continue. Release a quality product. Delay if you have to, but RELEASE A QUALITY PRODUCT. Repeat after me, RELEASE A QUALITY PRODUCT.

Provide incentiveto make and LEVEL a character to 50 on test. Give a title, a mount, do something. People that play this game are the BEST testers. Just make sure they do it on the TESTserver.

What are the critical items that need to be fixed?

Warzone win count.

Ilum kill credits.

I want this game to be succesful. It is extremely hard to back a game that clearly has organizational and process issues that is seen in the quality of their product. Maybe I should I apply for a job.

Thanks,

FACEONGLASS (Sweetbro on Helm of G)

Edited by Xyzed

If I was in the boss' shoes, then how would I start tomorrow? By an email of course!

I have to start the day with a simple email to get the troops up and going. They know they are about to get an *** chewing so I use keywords like "mind-boggling" and adverbs like "absolutely" to stress my concern for the patch that was released.

Now that I have all my employees in a room with me, then what am I going to say to them as they settle down?

What the @#$@?

What the @#$@?

Then I would randomly select a volunteer and that volunteer being responisble for QA ask him/her:

What the @#$@?

Then I would take that randomly selected volunteer and call out the he/she responsible for "Open World PvP" and ask him/her:

I am frustrated.

I am not the only one.

I don't understand what is going through the minds at SWTOR HQ but this type of patching is frustrating and pissing off a lot of people. Fix the process and in turn you will fix the problem.

There is an issue with the process of testing out content and fixing bugs. There may be a process but it is absolute @#$@.

For some odd reason, the gaming industry puts itself on this imaginary pedastool of douchebaggery and of being all mighty to allow itself to @#$@ on its' customers. Then they play the psychological game of "oh, you are right we found the issue and are going to fix it right away" to "calm the masses" and get praise once again. Then, if it still doesn't get fixed, it is suddenly "our" and "our" being the customer fault due to the ever changing requirements. It is a vicious cycle of absolute ****. It is regressive and un-innovative. This is why companies and games fail. They do not know how to admit their mistakes and they have people in leadership roles that have no desire to make the changes necessary to their organization in order to be successful. They want to collect a paycheck, do their years in the industry, collect their options, and then move to the next big thing. Man up, be a leader, and take pride in the product you released.

What needs to be done?

Bring the persons responsible for development and QA to review the process. If there is more than 3 people, then this is an organizational problem. Assign a point of contact because everyone has their own agenda.

Improve the process. The game is new, so do it now while we are early in the process with tons of subscribers rather than later with no subscribers. You guys NEED to be proactive.

I cannot stress this enough. This type of patching absolutey cannot continue. Release a quality product. Delay if you have to, but RELEASE A QUALITY PRODUCT. Repeat after me, RELEASE A QUALITY PRODUCT.

Provide incentiveto make and LEVEL a character to 50 on test. Give a title, a mount, do something. People that play this game are the BEST testers. Just make sure they do it on the TESTserver.

Warzone win count.

Ilum kill credits.

I want this game to be succesful. It is extremely hard to back a game that clearly has organizational and process issues that is seen in the quality of their product. Maybe I should I apply for a job.

Thanks,

ok who is this ? pro ALT ?

What the @#$@?

What the @#$@?

What the @#$@?

I am frustrated.

I am not the only one.

What needs to be done?

Warzone win count.

Ilum kill credits.

Thanks,

What the @#$@?

<snip>

What the @#$@?

What the @#$@?

What the @#$@?

<snip>

Power fantasies of the powerless.

If you were the boss, you'd have a lot of employee turnover.

…. which is costly and a direct result of poor leadership. ;)

Sure beats a high churn and turnover rate of customer for a product that lives and breathes on customer retention.

Our Republic guild does Illum and it can be pretty fun. Our server is standard population so we on the Republic kind of took it into our own hands to be friendly with some of the Imperials. It's benefited us well because we were behind on PvP gear. Simply because the Imperials could play huttball constantly when Republic had no numbers.

Illum has helped us catch up pretty well. Do I think it was perfectly implemented? Not really. I think it's too big. The PvP zone could probably fit millions of characters. Illum issues typically have seemed overblown. If you were letting people farm you, that was a choice. I might of let some people farm me, but I got plenty in return.

You again? You still don't seem to know anything about software development.

Here, it's short and will explain why you're wrong.

You're wrong, by the way. Not that you'll admit it.

Edited by JustTed

Sure beats a high churn and turnover rate of customer for a product that lives and breathes on customer retention.

That might be a good point if you had any data to back it up. Pulling opinions out of thin air and passing them off as facts doesn't help your argument.

You again? You still don't seem to know anything about software development.

Here, it's short and will explain why you're wrong.

You're wrong, by the way. Not that you'll admit it.

"Why haven't thy fixed this bug" is not what this is about.

The 1.1.2 patch notes were announced on Feb 1st.

It was pushed to the PTS that night.

It was released to live Feb.6th.

The patch has many bugs in it, and made the already broken Ilum, worse.

It did not have to be released. It could have been adjusted and remained on the PTS until, it was a QUALITY PRODUCT.

This is the problem. What good is a PTS if they ignore the bugs found and reported? What good is a PTS if they give testers 4 days to test on it? It's no good. Proof is, that once again, a garbage patch has been released to live that should have never been.

RELEASE A QUALITY PRODUCT.

Hello everyone,

We do appreciate when anyone has taken the time to express their thoughts and concerns. We will be closing this thread, as there is little room for constructive discussion. However, we do value any feedback and do encourage anyone to voice their feedback on the forums. We only ask that feedback focus on Star Wars™: The Old Republic™ itself, and that it is constructive and as detailed as possible.

There is an existing thread for giving constructive feedback on Ilum, found here: http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=278285.

We thank you for your time and your understanding that we've closed this thread.