Quarterly Producer Letter for Q2 2024 ×

Imp Fleet vs Rep Fleet: Really?

Tadshackles

For some reason it REALLY bothers me that both factions literally have the exact same fleet.

literally the same map. I know I know it isn't a huge deal but if you look at a Rep frigate vs an imp. Think about if Stormwind and Orgrimmar had the same exact same models and maps except different banners...

I know its nit-picking and it doesn't matter much but when I switch toons I don't feel like I switched.

Maybe nobody else notices it but for me, it kinda makes me never want to go to the fleet as I forget what faction im playing...

EDIT FOR: pub = Rep

Edited by Tadshackles

For some reason it REALLY bothers me that both factions literally have the exact same fleet.

literally the same map. I know I know it isn't a huge deal but if you look at a pub frigate vs an imp. Think about if Stormwind and Orgrimmar had the same exact same models and maps except different banners...

I know its nit-picking and it doesn't matter much but when I switch toons I don't feel like I switched.

Maybe nobody else notices it but for me, it kinda makes me never want to go to the fleet as I forget what faction im playing...

Very true.

But if both fleets were different, you would have one side saying, "Waaaah!!!! Side XXX's fleet is better, no fair!".

I'm convinced this is a major reason people feel ambivalent about SWTOR. For all they put into some aspects of immersion, others like this are just so lazy and uninspired.

Example: Why did they build a 25 square mile Alderaan that people see for 4 levels and takes eight years to load, but rubber stamped the space dock that is the center of everyone's online lives?

Totally baffles me.

I'll have to agree with this. I only played a smuggler and once I hit 50, I excitedly rolled some Imp alts and...oh, it's the same fleet, just different colors.

In the grand scheme of things, it's not that big of a deal...but, it's little aesthetics like this that can go a long way in making or breaking a game.

Oh, and a different UI color for Imps would be nice...red might be a bit glaring, but maybe something besides the exact same shade of blue?

HAHA! Well guess what you are TOTALLY WRONG!!!!! There are only 4, COUNT EM FOUR cargo bay access points on the Republic Fleet, but the Imperial Fleet has 8, THAT IS RIGHT EIGHT YOU DAMN HATER!!!!! THE FLEETS ARE TOTALLY DIFFERENT!!!!!!!! Go Back to WoW!

literally the same map. I know I know it isn't a huge deal but if you look at a Rep frigate vs an imp. Think about if Stormwind and Orgrimmar had the same exact same models and maps except different banners...

EDIT FOR: pub = Rep

Personally, I like them being the same. No matter which side I'm playing I know were stuff is. It's convenient.

To be fair, this is a civil war of sorts. Both stations could have been made by the same civilian company, so it doesn't really bother me much.

True.

And it's possible one side stole the plans from the other. Like, did you know Russia has a space shuttle exactly like NASA's. I mean 100% identical- if it wasn't for the Russian writing on the side you wouldn't be able to tell them apart.

Edited by Sandriell

Would u guys have prefered to wait a few more months to launch so they had time to make fleets and spaceports look diffrent?

I know i could care less, i just wanna play.

Not speaking for anyone else, but hell yeah. I could have waited another year if it meant they'd released a good game...;)

Would u guys have prefered to wait a few more months to launch so they had time to make fleets and spaceports look diffrent?

I know i could care less, i just wanna play.

You mean you COULDN'T care less. If you could care less, you are saying that you do care...

To be fair, this is a civil war of sorts. Both stations could have been made by the same civilian company, so it doesn't really bother me much.

This isn't a civil war, it is a clash of separate civilizations. They haven't been in direct contact for over 1000 years.

I actually liked that I didn't have to learn a new layout. The textures are different. So it's not like they completely cut and pasted the thing. I suggest finding something smaller to nitpick about. This is a funny thread if the OP is truly upset over it.

Every space station in the game (including the ones you attack or defend in space missions) uses the same model, so it's not surprising they're laid out similarly on the inside.

I'm guessing they're mass-produced by the Hutts or something.

This is one reason I'm not as enthusiastic as before lv.20 something.

And it's not just the fleets, the space stations (And their mere existence on top of that), the space docks also. While it's understandable with the modelling, there are just one fleet. I'd hope those were abit different.

Edited by Gotipe

True.

And it's possible one side stole the plans from the other. Like, did you know Russia has a space shuttle exactly like NASA's. I mean 100% identical- if it wasn't for the Russian writing on the side you wouldn't be able to tell them apart.

100% identical. right.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Buran_program#Comparison_to_NASA_Space_Shuttle

"Despite remarkable external similarities, many key differences existed, which suggests that, had espionage been a factor in Buran's development, it would likely have been in the form of external photography or early airframe designs."

Edited by GHeissi

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.