George Lucas is trolling the hell out of us

rdc_thirty

My God. My eyes.

I can't even WATCH that video for longer than 10 seconds.

I hate this planet sometimes. That video being made is one of them. For serious.

Are you under the age of 10? Then theres no reason you'd even see it. Its a kids featurette for certain occasions, channels etc etc. Its meant for little kids. My kids would much rather see that commercial than a normal one made for adults......

Are you under the age of 10? Then theres no reason you'd even see it. Its a kids featurette for certain occasions, channels etc etc. Its meant for little kids. My kids would much rather see that commercial than a normal one made for adults......

*shaking my head*

/sigh

*leaves forums for a while*

if you really want to get nitpicky.. the first mistake was making that movie in the first place. that movie screams being for little kids.

its horrible.

The original trilogy was also for little kids. Chewbacca, R2-D2, C3PO and Ewoks are all kid characters. That's not to mention the simple plot and easily identified good and bad guys.

The reason so many SW fans hate Phantom Menace is because the franchise didn't grow up with them. They loved all the kid stuff in the OT when they wached it as kids but they hated that same stuff when they watched Phantom Menace as adults.

Well you know what? Kids who saw Phantom Menace loved it. Jar Jar was a hugely popular character at my primary school.

If you could take off your rose tinted glasses for a second you'd realise how similar Phantom Menace and the OT are. They both feature relatively simple plots, enjoyable childrens characters, awesome bad guys and some cool good guys.

The only reason most SW fans aren't absolutely in love with Phantom Menace is because they didn't see it when they were kids. It's unfortunate that's the case because if they had seen it as kids we wouldn't constantly be getting posts like this. It was over 10 years ago and you still can't let it go.

Let's be honest. Some of us still cherish the memories and even play the games related to Star Wars. But we are getting too old to really enjoy it and be part of the fan set. Lucas still makes his money off toys and it shouldn't surprise us that so many of the current books, games, and other products seem to be aimed at the younger age groups...

The original trilogy was also for little kids. Chewbacca, R2-D2, C3PO and Ewoks are all kid characters. That's not to mention the simple plot and easily identified good and bad guys.

The reason so many SW fans hate Phantom Menace is because the franchise didn't grow up with them. They loved all the kid stuff in the OT when they wached it as kids but they hated that same stuff when they watched Phantom Menace as adults.

Well you know what? Kids who saw Phantom Menace loved it. Jar Jar was a hugely popular character at my primary school.

If you could take off your rose tinted glasses for a second you'd realise how similar Phantom Menace and the OT are. They both feature relatively simple plots, enjoyable childrens characters, awesome bad guys and some cool good guys.

The only reason most SW fans aren't absolutely in love with Phantom Menace is because they didn't see it when they were kids. It's unfortunate that's the case because if they had seen it as kids we wouldn't constantly be getting posts like this. It was over 10 years ago and you still can't let it go.

thanks, George

Yeah, I'm part of the younger generation. I watched the old trilogy at home and loved it from the age 4 and beyond, played all the games throughout childhood and teenagehood and so on(which is what leads me here of course.), I watched The Phantom Menace when I was 11. I saw a decent preview in a movie theatre last Sunday and it gave me a happy nostalgic feeling of going to the theatre when I was a little child. Definitely convinced me to go watch it again and it didn't have anything to do with the goddamn overrated 3d. I would like to say that even at age eleven I did not care much for Jar Jar, or Anakin's antics, I see it as Obi-wan and Qui-gon's movie. And it's not so bad, clearly the weakest of all of them though.

Ewoks were adorable. Jawas were adorable. Adults liked Chewbacca, R2-D2 and C3PO (I hated them as a kid, love them as an adult). Kids had reason to like Ewoks and Jawas. Adorable is cool, being a moron with gangly extremities is not.

How you kids could have ever liked Jar Jar is beyond me tho, but.. you're probably the Barney generation, ie, your tastes were twisted at an early age.

Edited by laslaya

I think Star Wars has been made for kids ever since the prequels started...I mean ever since they came out we've had:

Jar Jar

"Roger Roger" and other "funny" droids and bad guys...?

Anakin and Obiwan arguing about who rescued who from a nest of Gundarks...

Jar Jar again as a senator

Jar Jar again....screwing the galaxy...

The Viceroy saying "commoonikayshun" instead of communication

Little Annie...need I say more (Jingle all the way)

C3P0 "what do you mean my parts are showing?

R2-D2 and C3P0 having banter aimed at kids humor

Cartoons

Lego Star Wars (and they beat it like a dead horse)

Action Figures (which are a HUGE part of the Star Wars industry, and have been around longer than anything else as far as Merch goes)

Cartoons again

and even Disney has the rights to Star Wars now.

Just look at the OT and the PT. They're completely different.

The OT is like Indiana Jones or bladerunner (audiences), but the PT is like the Chronicles of Narnia or How to train your dragon (I'm referring to their target audience).

Edited by Gantoris_Aym

Skip to 6:56 - this is a glaring reason for why Phantom Menace sucked, and it has nothing to do with not having grown up with the prequels. Yes, the original trilogy, save ESB, is nothing to lavishly praise for it's literary genius - but the prequels exhibit such a high degree of shoddy workmanship. This is especially true in the presence of other writers, namely Timothy Zahn with the Thrawn trilogy, who crafted such marvelous works of fiction.

I can honestly say I've gone back and re-watched several things that I thought were awesome as a kid, and completely changed my mind watching as an adult. I've re-watched the original trilogy, and it does not reek so harshly of pandering to the simplest minds as Phantom Menace.

The OT is like Indiana Jones or bladerunner (audiences), but the PT is like the Chronicles of Narnia or How to train your dragon (I'm referring to their target audience).

How to Train your Dragon is a perfect example of creating a kids movie that is relevant to adults. That movie was awesome, and Phantom Menace can't even begin to compare to it.

Edited by Clovermite_

This is a joke right? PLEASE tell me this is a joke. This makes the prequals look even that much more stupid. Seriously. This has got to be a joke. I'm crying. At this point, George DOES NOT want us to see the prequals.

BTW, best part was 1:18 - 1:20. I watched that for a good 5 minutes over and over.

Edited by reaperkeepet

The problem with the Phantom Menace is that the target audience is all over the place. It was marketed as being for kids...then we have trade disputes, debates in the Senate, political intrigue, treaties, etc. I'd be surprised if most kids could even understand what was actually happening during those scenes or would even care for that matter. The mood also switches about every 15-20 minutes making it difficult to get emotionally involved with anything going on.

Oh, and there's the fact the prequels were a character study of Anakin yet we meet him 45 minutes into Phantom Menace as a child who really has no involvement with the main plot at all.

Skip to 6:56 - this is a glaring reason for why Phantom Menace sucked, and it has nothing to do with not having grown up with the prequels.

I love Plinkett's review and I was thinking someone needed to post a link as I was reading this thread.

Lazy link to the time you said:

#t=6m55s

I saw the original Star Wars trilogy as a really little kid and was too young to appreciate it, I think. I didn't really see what was great about it.

Then I saw the prequels in theaters as they came out starting when I was 10. Honestly, the only thing I really remembered about the movies until I saw Plinkett's review recently was being extremely bored. Even the fight scenes were boring because I didn't know who any of the characters were or why they were fighting. Plinkett does a good job of explaining why I felt that way, I think.

As someone who watched the originals in a theater as a kid with popcorn (yes, really horrible for you old fashioned popcorn) and a huge bucket of coke (or was it pepsi back then), I can tell you that they were very well done, and even today when they pop on the telly, I am more than glad to stop flipping the channel guide and rest there for a bit.

Now, when the new movies (1-3) come on, I am compelled to quickly move past them, as if I do stop there, I become so bored and start picking apart every little thing that is wrong with them.

This has little to do with rose glasses, fond memories, or any other childhood memory (aside from that hot, buttery, sticky popcorn), and more about the fact that the new movies are so poorly crafted and made, that it will take George another 20 years to re-re-re-redo them and make them right (and trust me, he will try).

Anyhoo, the bottom line is that the old ones, while simple, relied on acting, plot, real folks, and believable props, while the new ones tried to cover over the lack of acting, and a very poor plot line with cgi out the wazoo, and an oddly speaking alien that lightened the fact that a trade dispute was starting to escalate into a future war (sorry, spoilers there if anyone hasn't seen it after all these years... come to think of it, you are the lucky one).

Night all.

Edited by skinthinner