Quarterly Producer Letter for Q2 2024 ×

What made YOU play an Assassin

DarthNorik

I choose after looking at the madness tree, as a lock than later a death knight in WoW it looked to be the best. A melee warlock with a lightsaber! I couldn't resist. The only thing I wish was that I had a choice to use a single bladed lightsaber or be able to dual wield.

On DDO my pet flavour build was a Rogue/Monk Acrobat/Ninja stick-fighting tank. It wasn't exactly viable in the later end game content, but it was my build and I enjoyed it.

As an Assassin, I can be all that and be viable. Oh, and shoot lightning. What else would I roll with? :D

Honestly? Darth Maul. I just can't say no do a double-bladed lightsaber. If another class got it instead, I'd have made that class instead.

This!

Also, this...

Although I wish we could use tumult in PvP like Maul does twice in the video. :p

Edited by Cowflab

I wanted to try a cloth tank (always wanted to play one in WoW lol...priest tank build spec please!).

Also my guild had people rolling all the other classes, so...

I certainly don't regret the decision. I didn't come into it with any kind of prejudices so I wasn't disappointed by anything that didn't fit one archetype or another.

I also wasn't swayed by the "oo assassin" kind of name either. Its just meh for me.

Heart was set on playing a Sorc. After leveling to 25 and noticing that about half my server was Sorcs and hearing everyone talk about how OP they were, I knew I had to change classes as I try and stay away from anything fotm. Given I knew there were lots of Sorcs running around, I tried to go with something that was a decent counter to them in pvp...

Since my main was Jugg and I was losing interest in the clumsyness of the class itself during HM runs, I made a Sin out of pure curiosity. Well there's also no denying that I was a fan of Darth Maul when Ep1 came out. But that's beside the point. I just wanted to see what the class could do getting the feeling like Juggs lacked that umph when it came to generating threat that, so far as a 46 Sin, I've come to find the Sin doing pretty well. There was of course the fight at 30 in the class story line that drove me nuts but that was because I approached it with the mindset of a Jugg which since then I've also built my character up to be more versatile in similar fights.

Double bladed light saber ! pew pew pew.

Also light armor tank with a few spells is also appealing to me. With the potential for a dps alternate spec, I figured light armor would be best dps, and when I looked at the assassinate skill for the marauder at 20%, and for the assassin at 30%, I figured my expectations wouldn't be too far off. I was expecting more lethality in either spec than what I've got. I do alright in darkness, so I guess I can't complain too much, but if I had intended to roll deception as my main spec, I'd be pissed.

After looking at the skills, it seemed like a great class to annoy the enemy team like hell :p

Not even talking about kills, just being able to disrupt enemy team cohesion and pissing them off by being able to often make a run for it if a fight doesn't go my way.

I have a fulltime job, and therefore am not really all the great for guilds...which means I mostly join solo or, after a few games, temp team up with some guys I get along with. Given that, having a class that's able to simply annoy the other team and disrupt team cohesion is how I'm best able to help my team even though I'm not part of a "premade" or organized team.

Oh yeah...and the double-bladed lightsaber :D

PS: Upzie's video's had something to do with it as well.

I typically try to play the counter to stealth classes. I knew as an assassin could easily play as a stealth hunter with the right spec. (though, so far I have never spec'd darkness)

I also wanted to play a class that would really reward good movement / positioning.

And then another part of me wanted to break my habit of playing hybrids and focus on being a pure offense character.

So, so far I am fairly happy with the class. I have leveled and played as pure deception (48 currently) and I'm getting good results. I wish maul were completely reliable.

I wanted to play a saber character to start, and my friends were already Empire side.

Sith Warrior looked OK, but the Juggy felt too much like a typical fantasy warrior in a Star Wars skin. The Marauder's twin sabers didn't ring my bell either.

I also disliked the vestigial light saber aspect of the Sorcerors, and again they seemed too much like a fantasy character in Star Wars clothing.

Despite the stealth power, Assassins immediately struck me as something different from other game classes (i.e., not just a Star Wars Rogue). I ended up going tank side with him because it was such an odd mix with Light armor and tanking abilities.

So far, I have come around on my previous views regarding other classes. I'll probably do a Juggernaut next, but the Assassin is an awesome class.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.