is this the worst pvp in MMO history?

Orchee

• Replies 221
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I love the PvP in this game. The combat is dynamic and fun, the classes are fairly well balanced, it just feels good to me.

There are problems with certain classes performing far too well with their utility in certain warzones (Inquisitors/Consulars in Huttball), healer/tank combo's being spectacularly powerful at present, a few overpowered abilities, and Ilum can be pretty messy at times - but I still have fun there. The PvP gearing system is my biggest gripe right now.

I don't know, maybe I am just crazy, but I am having FUN with the game despite the flaws.

Having to pick from the games I have played, yes. This is easily the worst.

But I didn't play disasters like WAR or Age of Conan.

Before this, I thought it couldn't go any worse than Aion, but seems like I was wrong.

Reason? This is the first time I'm having trouble to explain what's bad about pvp in a game, because here it's broken in every possible aspect of it.

The engine is utter garbage: see Ilum. Ten years ago (with the graphic standards of ten years ago, obviously) I was able to turn down the settings on DAoC and play with 200 people on screen. Here, well, I don't need to elaborate further.

Class balance. No need to explain, really. When the 75% of any random team consist of two classes, something's very wrong. And what's their first move on class balance? Nerfing one of the least played classes, wich accidentally happens to be the most played class' hard counter. If these are the premises, I cannot see any serious pvper sticking to this garbage for more than a couple months.

Open PvP. It's meaningless, it has no impact on the galaxy and it encourages lame tactics/exploits. Ilum doesn't really add anything to the pvp experience.

Faction balance. One word comes to mind here: total amateurs. No cap on faction population? Population cap on Ilum while not capping it 50/50 for the two factions? Are you kidding me?

Warzones. Finally something salvageable from this trainwreck. Two of the maps are actually interesting. A very dumbed down version of the GvG maps on Guild Wars. Teamplay is sort of important. Too bad the whole experience is a disaster for the reasons I mentioned above.

And the third map is...words are failing me to describe the huttball monstrosity.

Various bugs/annoyances wich could be expected from some 4th rate cheap ftp garbage.

Victories not registered.

Joining losing games already in progress.

Relog bug when entering warzones from the fleet, wich STILL happens.

And to complete this disastser tour, the whole CC system.

So yes, worst pvp for me.

This is the best summary of the state of pvp in this game. As highly anticipated as this game was. It leaves so much to be desired. Rushed product we end paying to test. Straight garbage.

wow was a runaway success because it was the best cooperative pve experience by a very long way at the time.

It's pvp could be fun, but remotely balanced it never was.

this game has one major bonus to start with though, the resolve system is probably the best cc mechanic so far implemented, it allows interesting zones like huttball to exist, doesn't allow completely rampant cc to dominate against anyone semi organised, and doesn't fall into the mechanical "immunity timers" that dumbed down things like warhammer to a "derp derp, run swing"

Edited by Adzzy

Only people who were bad at WoW PvP can say that "it's made for noobs".

To be good at arena, you had to first master your class, then had to master teamplay. True, certain combinations were insanely overpowered and allowed lower skilled players to win, but usually the best players always won everything in front of them.

haha okay. im not gonna burst ur little bubble there as it will only end in an endless discussion which is pointless cos every serious pvper whose first mmo wasnt world of noobcraft will hands down agree with me anyways. if u think wow took/takes/will ever take skill then by all means ill let u have ur opinion. afterall we´re all free to have one amirite. peace out.

You guys actually realise that the ones saying that WOW arena and PVP was a failure are the exact ones that couldn't get past 1600 rating?

Sad but true!

I was on 2500+ rating in every season and I consider it the second best PVP in MMO history! The first is won by Guild Wars!

You guys actually realise that the ones saying that WOW arena and PVP was a failure are the exact ones that couldn't get past 1600 rating?

Sad but true!

I was on 2500+ rating in every season and I consider it the second best PVP in MMO history! The first is won by Guild Wars!

that's not it at all, wow pvp and arena was an addition that was never really intended, a perfect example was focus macros (these things existed solely because at its core, it was a pve game, noone in their right mind ever, would include them in a pvp game), they made me feel like i was in an arms race, they had theirs so i had mine, for example, the pvp would have been greatly improved by disabling focus on enemy players all together in pvp zones, and forcing you to like...be observant.

Ratings are also a bit meh, my first glad was on bg9, and the drastic step down in quality when i tried 7 was awe inspiring, it went from dozens of quality players, to a place where you could count the non mouth breathers on one hand, that being said wotlk never even got a subscription from me.

Edited by Adzzy

Sad but true!

Actually the wow devs say arena was the worst idea.

Having to pick from the games I have played, yes. This is easily the worst.

But I didn't play disasters like WAR or Age of Conan.

Before this, I thought it couldn't go any worse than Aion, but seems like I was wrong.

Reason? This is the first time I'm having trouble to explain what's bad about pvp in a game, because here it's broken in every possible aspect of it.

The engine is utter garbage: see Ilum. Ten years ago (with the graphic standards of ten years ago, obviously) I was able to turn down the settings on DAoC and play with 200 people on screen. Here, well, I don't need to elaborate further.

Class balance. No need to explain, really. When the 75% of any random team consist of two classes, something's very wrong. And what's their first move on class balance? Nerfing one of the least played classes, wich accidentally happens to be the most played class' hard counter. If these are the premises, I cannot see any serious pvper sticking to this garbage for more than a couple months.

Open PvP. It's meaningless, it has no impact on the galaxy and it encourages lame tactics/exploits. Ilum doesn't really add anything to the pvp experience.

Faction balance. One word comes to mind here: total amateurs. No cap on faction population? Population cap on Ilum while not capping it 50/50 for the two factions? Are you kidding me?

Warzones. Finally something salvageable from this trainwreck. Two of the maps are actually interesting. A very dumbed down version of the GvG maps on Guild Wars. Teamplay is sort of important. Too bad the whole experience is a disaster for the reasons I mentioned above.

And the third map is...words are failing me to describe the huttball monstrosity.

Various bugs/annoyances wich could be expected from some 4th rate cheap ftp garbage.

Victories not registered.

Joining losing games already in progress.

Relog bug when entering warzones from the fleet, wich STILL happens.

And to complete this disastser tour, the whole CC system.

So yes, worst pvp for me.

Agree on all but one thing the resent nerf.Other then that so true.

Only thing that a very few times makes PvP fun in TOR is when i'm playing on a good team on republic side that actually knows what teamwork is and what objectives mean in warzones.

I think Asherons Call pvp was best and a lot of that reason was you could actually dodge spells. I also liked the fact that you could loot the other players corpse if you wanted to. Also every class if they wanted could heal, your class was a lot more adaptable. Never needed to ask for tanks or healers when wanted to quest either, any could come.

WOW has never had good balance and it was really bad in vanilla. I could be half asleep and kill most classes on my warlock, i think the only ones i was wary of was rogues. Occasionally there was the odd really good player of other classes but WOW was definately unbalanced, i bet it still is.

SWTOR's pvp so far has been pretty decent as far as i am concerned. The balance does need tweaking but even if it was perfectly balanced some would disagree.

Sad but true!

Grats then head on back to it, S1-5 Glad, 2xR1, and it ruined wow...

Haha, WoW arena being the second best PvP experience you ever had. That's just pathetic.

In no way am I defending this game (search for the topics made by me for proof), but Arena is a terrible concept that downright killed PvP in WoW. Any real PvP player from WoW would agree on that.

PvP = Battlegrounds with many players OR World PvP. The latter was downright destroyed by the introducement of Arenas.

Then again, I'd prefer Arena over World PvP in TOR considering Bioware fails unbelievably hard in optimizing this game causing FPS to die as soon as more than 10 players are in one area.

Edited by dnomz

Haha, WoW arena being the second best PvP experience you ever had. That's just pathetic.

In no way am I defending this game (search for the topics made by me for proof), but Arena is a terrible concept that downright killed PvP in WoW. Any real PvP player from WoW would agree on that.

PvP = Battlegrounds with many players OR World PvP. The latter was downright destroyed by the introducement of Arenas.

Then again, I'd prefer Arena over World PvP in TOR considering Bioware fails unbelievably hard in optimizing this game. You can run this game on 1680 x 1050 with High preset and everything, smooth 60+ FPS but as soon as there's 10 player characters on your screen the FPS is dead. And people go around defending the game saying all systems are outdated and need an upgrade. Lol dudes if I can run the game on High preset, max resolution and have 60+ FPS everywhere then it's obviously an optimization problem. Even Warzones with 8v8 make my FPS drop to 30. But luckily that goes without stuttering or lag in my actions so I don't mind that, but let's not start about World PvP.

I think I missed the funny part!

What is it to laugh of?

I actually considered it the 2nd best PVP from my pov and from my personal experience!

You are not obliged to share my opinions!

That's why they are mine and not yours!

Pathetic is the fact that you probably didnt pass 2k+ rating and didnt meet GREAT teams to fight against!

Trust me, I've met a lot of good teams after 2500 and most of my games past that rating are frapsed and I still have them on my HDD. And I just loved them!

The fact that you could win and actually lose in the last moment was for me, maybe the best thing!

You probably didn't experience that! Actually I am sure of it!

And please, spare me about what true pvp is!

In vanilla wow, when I was ranking my hunter to lvl 14 you probably didn't even know what PVP was!

No need to actually throw rocks to someone because they expressed something they considered personal!

You will get the same ''dance'' for your ''song''!

Peace!

Edited by djalexa

I've played:

DAoC

Lineage 2

Aion

AoC

WoW

WaR

Darkfall

GW1

Asheron's Call

Everquest

FFXI

SWG

Shadowbane

And now of course, SW:TOR.

You know what all of these games have in common, especially at launch?

They all have "The worst PvP ever".

Even the venerable DAoC (my top choice for PvP in a MMO), had SEVERE issues in PvP at launch, and people absolutely hated it to.

The vocal forum minority will always blow problems out of the water. When Guild Wars 2 releases, people will whine about its PvP too, same with TERA. People use an external locus of control to explain their problems, and an internal locus when things go right. Which means when they kill someone in PvP it is all because of their skill and that skill will transfer to every 1v1 they EVER have if they win one 1v1, they should therefore win them all. And when they die, it had nothing to do with anything they could have done wrong, it was either broken game mechanics or class imbalance.

To quote Yahtzee from "Zero Punctuation" on http://www.escapistmagazine.com/ "Cows go moo, dogs go woof, and MMO players go 'PvP is imbalanced'".

Now as for where SW:TOR PvP stands for a brand new MMO? Safely in the top half of the MMOs I've played. This is due MAINLY to the fact I do NOT consider ability delay, or UI issues attributable to PvP, those are separate technical issues that affect all aspects of the game, the PvP itself is above average in a new MMO, still not the best I've played, and has a LOT of work in the next few months. But I learned a long time ago, with anything MMOs take patience, if you don't want to support a company and you don't want to offer constructive feedback in those first months (which are always bad) then DON'T BUY A MMO DAY 1.

I'm here and I enjoy SW:TOR so I'll sub, and I'll make sure BioWare knows we want them to keep working on PvP. If in May/June there aren't significant improvements/additions either out, or announced, THAN the PvP is in serious trouble.

As a PvPr, SW:TOR and GW2 will probably be my main MMOs for the next few years (I hope), I will try TERA/Archeage as well (As Archeage looks like it actually did sandbox right, but the combat looks meh and the class system is convulted), and I doubt I'll play The Secret World because it is Funcom...

TL;DR: SW:TOR is far from the worst PvP I have played in a new MMO, it isn't even bad by those standards, its slightly above average, and has a lot of work to do.

Warhammer Online had major issues at launch. Still had some good ideas, though.

SWTOR class balance >>>> Warhammer Online class balance

Warhammer Online's PvP mechanics >>> SWTOR PvP mechanics (Ilum is one of the worst implementations of World PvP ever)

/sign

especially on Ilum being one of the worst implementations of World PvP ever

WAR was ages better than that...

actually I was so much in love with Swtor PvP in the Beta and still having fun playing WZ's, however there is nothing else besides...

as someone else mentioned earlier on, I really doubt that there is a chance on getting an appropriate World PvP in any foreseeable time... it's a pity

War was worse in my opinion. At launch, BWs/sorcs were nuts, as were witchelves and marauders. They quickly started nerfing everyone but BW/sorcs though, so it just compounded the problem as everyone went BW/Sorc, then mage/engineer for those stupid aoe pulls.

Then Wars open rvr which promised massive battles was nothing more than a lagtastic event of firing a ranged attack off the walls of a keep into a tide of destruction.

Yes, they had more scenarios, but that doesnt make it better.

I've played:

DAoC

Lineage 2

Aion

AoC

WoW

WaR

Darkfall

GW1

Asheron's Call

Everquest

FFXI

SWG

Shadowbane

And now of course, SW:TOR.

You know what all of these games have in common, especially at launch?

They all have "The worst PvP ever".

Even the venerable DAoC (my top choice for PvP in a MMO), had SEVERE issues in PvP at launch, and people absolutely hated it to.

The vocal forum minority will always blow problems out of the water. When Guild Wars 2 releases, people will whine about its PvP too, same with TERA. People use an external locus of control to explain their problems, and an internal locus when things go right. Which means when they kill someone in PvP it is all because of their skill and that skill will transfer to every 1v1 they EVER have if they win one 1v1, they should therefore win them all. And when they die, it had nothing to do with anything they could have done wrong, it was either broken game mechanics or class imbalance.

To quote Yahtzee from "Zero Punctuation" on http://www.escapistmagazine.com/ "Cows go moo, dogs go woof, and MMO players go 'PvP is imbalanced'".

Now as for where SW:TOR PvP stands for a brand new MMO? Safely in the top half of the MMOs I've played. This is due MAINLY to the fact I do NOT consider ability delay, or UI issues attributable to PvP, those are separate technical issues that affect all aspects of the game, the PvP itself is above average in a new MMO, still not the best I've played, and has a LOT of work in the next few months. But I learned a long time ago, with anything MMOs take patience, if you don't want to support a company and you don't want to offer constructive feedback in those first months (which are always bad) then DON'T BUY A MMO DAY 1.

I'm here and I enjoy SW:TOR so I'll sub, and I'll make sure BioWare knows we want them to keep working on PvP. If in May/June there aren't significant improvements/additions either out, or announced, THAN the PvP is in serious trouble.

As a PvPr, SW:TOR and GW2 will probably be my main MMOs for the next few years (I hope), I will try TERA/Archeage as well (As Archeage looks like it actually did sandbox right, but the combat looks meh and the class system is convulted), and I doubt I'll play The Secret World because it is Funcom...

TL;DR: SW:TOR is far from the worst PvP I have played in a new MMO, it isn't even bad by those standards, its slightly above average, and has a lot of work to do.

ppl should read this, its basicly hits the nail on the head.