Why do people play MULTIPLAYER games if all they want to do is solo?!

TheRealDestian

Because "showing off" isn't being social. It's using your status in an attempt to boost your self-esteem. It's getting a "rise" off of making others jealous of you.

As near as I can tell, if someone never wants to interact with another player in game, yet wants other players to BE THERE, what else could their motivation be?

As I said above, people have posted several different motivations. You've ignored all of them. Playing online in massive, dynamic living persistent world and economy is not the same as playing Skyrim, and it's fun, whether you're in a group or not.

Edited by daemian

• Replies 599
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The question is that, if someone who doesn't group, doesn't have a guild and doesn't have friends plays this game, WHY are they playing it?

My only conclusion is that, although they don't want to interact with other people, they must enjoy flaunting their status to them (as many people did in WoW).

If you can still ask this question after it has been answered at least a dozen times then you are not reading the responses.

The question is that, if someone who doesn't group, doesn't have a guild and doesn't have friends plays this game, WHY are they playing it?

My only conclusion is that, although they don't want to interact with other people, they must enjoy flaunting their status to them (as many people did in WoW).

For some, it's the "been there, done that" thing. Our guild raided end game in WoW for years. All we did. So now that there is leveling again, a decent story to enjoy, and a new game to learn, I'm in no hurry to group up, even with guild mates just yet. Have an L46 and an L26. When both are at 50, and I'm done solo exploring on both guys, and have seen some of solo end game, I'm sure I'll start to run groups again.

But why rush it? Once I have two or three guys at max level, that all goes away, and most of what I'll do every day will be groups, and flashpoints, and operations every day. So why rush to get there?

I just mean finding a guild of like-minded folks to spend the game with.

A lot of people do in fact do that.

I remember on CoH there was a Supergroup called "Lone Wolfs" it was filled with people who liked to play solo, but also wanted to have access to help if they needed it.

Your confusion seems to come from the fact that you are saying something that simply isn't true.

Most people do not do what you seem to think they do. Most people do interact with other people in one way or another. It's very, very rare for someone to actually play a MMO and have zero interaction with any other person.

I think a lot of people are turned off the whole grouping experience too because of elitist *****s which know these games back and forth, but fail to explain simple **** that they assume everyone must know or else they suck.

Ive had people screaming in groups before at some poor sap which just needed some explaining to. Not in this game but wow. Everyone assumes that everyone else must be a veteran because they are. But some people are not. They need to be taught, not yelled at.

I just mean finding a guild of like-minded folks to spend the game with.

Because I find nothing fun about that.

I prefer to play the game, not socialize.

I DO talk to players if there is some part of the game which I find fun if it REQUIRES a group in order for me to be able to play it...

but only to the point that I HAVE to - IE: I will ask players if they are interested in doing the same content as me or offer players a reward for simply helping ME do the content - but as far as just chatting about things that are not REQUIRED in order to run the content?

nah, I am not interested in all that

Edited by crica

I'm not talking about people who like to solo ON OCCASION, or people who would rather play with people they know or a reliable guild. I mean people who want to play THE ENTIRE GAME without ever grouping with another person, the people who want SOLO OPS in which they use their companions as a raiding team.

I mean, isn't laughing with guildies fun? Isn't screwing around in general chat fun?

If not, WHY play an MMO, then? What do these people get out of this game that a superior single player game (like Skyrim, for example) wouldn't offer them and even MORE?

Is it because, as PA once said, "You can ride that **** through Ironforge!"?

Why do people still want to tell me how to spend my time? Why would I want to group with someone like you? Isn't it fun listening to chat and hearing people beg for help for a quest that I just finished solo? Why do these threads keep popping up? What is "Ironforge"?

I know, and those are usuaslly the exact same people who want to be able to solo through the entire game super fast so they can reach the end and start bragging or feel superior as soon as possible.

And how often do you actually see people like that?

I think that's the part that the rest of us have an issue with. You are describing a behavior that is in my experience any way, extremely rare.

Because "showing off" isn't being social. It's using your status in an attempt to boost your self-esteem. It's getting a "rise" off of making others jealous of you.

As near as I can tell, if someone never wants to interact with another player in game, yet wants other players to BE THERE, what else could their motivation be?

You make a lot of assumptions about solo players... yes?

First, I could care less if others are around. I play the game because I LIKE the game -- there's a "new" concept.

Second, I pay to play, so I can and will play the way I want. I actually get less for my money because of my style of play, but you get the benefit of my dollars supporting the game and the devs making more group content that I don't participate in. So, what is your gripe?

[Edit] I don't complain or care about how much group content there is or who plays it [Edit]

Edited by Force_Me

And how often do you actually see people like that?

I think that's the part that the rest of us have an issue with. You are describing a behavior that is in my experience any way, extremely rare.

It's not are though Vanor. To be honest it's the majority these days, as every recent MMORPG has been catering to them.

Don't try to get personal with me Kabjat, they are strict on this forum will delete your post :)

I saw little in your response that addressed anything I said though...and the OP makes an excellent point and I think he is correct, at least to a large degree.

The only plausible explaination as to why so many of these "casual players" want the game to pass by so quickly so they join in on the endgame hamster wheel (which is repetitive and boring) is so they can please themselves by showing off to everyone else how high their levels are and how good their gear is.

It has to be self-vanity. There is no other reason why they would want to the actual "fun" part of the game to be over with so quickly.

The fact you are married, have kids, not a lot of time to play...blah blah blah. Those are irreleveant facts that do not counter what the OP is saying. If you actually found the game fun the last thing you would want it to do is be over more quickly.

I am convinced there is a large amount of players (this may be you or it may not be) who play MMORPgs for the sole purpose of grinding to the so called "endgame" as fast as possible so they can show off to other players. You can disagree with me if you want, but that's my stance and I'll continue to have it rather you like it or not.

I didn't get personal. xD If you took it that way, *shrug* sorry. Though I find your attitude questionable.

In defense of many of the posters in this thread, the OPs question could be taken any number of ways, and he did come off a bit...aggressive. The fact that I DO solo the game and I am married, kids, husband, blah blah blah is the very reason I DO solo content....for reasons I stated before. I also cant stand people's attitudes in-game, so i simply avoid it.

You assume that a 'LARGE AMOUNT' speed through content to show off and preen before other players...lol ooook...you mean the people who SOLO content? I'll need you to clarify that.

And the 'fun' part of the game is purely subjective. Please don't make assumptions about what others find 'fun'.

And I can assure you, the endgame hamster wheel is the FURTHEST thing from my mind. And I don't even have a character past level 25 in this game so speeding through content is also not my thing. I ran that hamster wheel in WOW and learned a long time ago that it's a pointless waste of time and I refuse to do it here. I don't give a crap if I NEVER see the inside of an operation.

You can speculate all you want, but I still think your theory is suspect. That's just my opinion, and I will maintain it whether YOU like it or not. ;)

To be honest it's the majority these days, as every recent MMORPG has been catering to them.

To people who want to race though the content and solo though the end game to show off their l33t gear?

Sorry, I must of been playing different games then you because I've never seen this behavior myself.

1. This game could easily be a single player game. i could easily just play the 8 classes story once each or how many before I get sick of same old side quests on each. Then i could easily drop this game. Is taht wrong? I would get 100+ hours easy. More than can be said for any other single player game out there besides skyrim. Which skyrim gets boring after 100 hours as well.

2. I do agree. I much prefer playing this with friends. If they not on i usually just sit in ship and do crew mission while surfing internet. I do have on character that I have been doing solo, but only play when i know no one is going to be on that i will play with.

I didn't get personal. xD If you took it that way, *shrug* sorry. Though I find your attitude questionable.

In defense of many of the posters in this thread, the OPs question could be taken any number of ways, and he did come off a bit...aggressive. The fact that I DO solo the game and I am married, kids, husband, blah blah blah is the very reason I DO solo content....for reasons I stated before. I also cant stand people's attitudes in-game, so i simply avoid it.

You assume that a 'LARGE AMOUNT' speed through content to show off and preen before other players...lol ooook...you mean the people who SOLO content? I'll need you to clarify that.

And the 'fun' part of the game is purely subjective. Please don't make assumptions about what others find 'fun'.

And I can assure you, the endgame hamster wheel is the FURTHEST thing from my mind. And I don't even have a character past level 25 in this game so speeding through content is also not my thing. I ran that hamster wheel in WOW and learned a long time ago that it's a pointless waste of time and I refuse to do it here. I don't give a crap if I NEVER see the inside of an operation.

You can speculate all you want, but I still think your theory is suspect. That's just my opinion, and I will maintain it whether YOU like it or not. ;)

Well telling me to crawl out from under my rock sounded rather personal to me...

I have nothing against players who enjoy soloing. And I pointed out specifically you may or may not be the type of player I am talking about. I don't know you.

And I stand by what I said. Any player who wants to be able to quickly and easily solo the entire game up until the so called "endgame" has to be on some ego trip - and most of these players like to justify their position by claiming they are 'casuals" "married" "have kids". Those are the typical excuses they like to make to cover up the fact they are really just on ego trips and want to reach the end of the game as quickly as possible so they can feel superior.

I'm not saying this is you. But that is the type of player I am talking about. And they are usually the ones who want to be able to solo as quickly and easily to the "endgame" as possible.

To people who want to race though the content and solo though the end game to show off their l33t gear?

Sorry, I must of been playing different games then you because I've never seen this behavior myself.

Thank you. I have been feeling like I am in bizarro world reading these assertions being made.

This unique (but obviously abundant) population of player type is news to me lol

I am just curious how you look at someone at max level, showing off gear, and know they are a 100% loner soloer with no chat windows up to interact with others.

Do you send everyone tells to ask play style? I mean, they obviously are not initiating conversation with you.

Do you follow them around for days to see if they group or ever talk to anyone?

(hint: there is absolutely no way for you to confirm what you are saying)

Edited by Saurakk

Vanor, it's been the trend for years now.

All MMORPGs released lately have been quick solofests with a WoW-style endgame grindfest that gives you the best gear attached to it.

What other type of player do you think they are pandering to?

They have obviously been aimed at exactly this type of player.

And WoW has proved how lucrative it can be. Apparantly, a lot of players are willing to pay cash to support their ego trips. They don't care that they are bored out of their minds doing the same exact "raids" every week. They just like being the "best" and bragging about what "hard mode" they accomplished.

It's just the sad truth of the matter.

I'm still left scratching my head about why people would PURPOSELY avoid the game's best feature.

Surely you must realize that the determination of what constitutes a game's "best feature" is a matter of opinion?

My only conclusion is that these people must like showing off to other players to some degree. Otherwise, I would think they wouldn't play a game that has other players in it at all.

I'm still not sure how I understand how someone who doesn't group with you, interact with you, or even speak to you or anyone else (not even in general chat) can "show off". Do they follow you around and mime their awesomeness using emotes?

People who solo play exclusively are most often introverts. Showing off and making themselves the center of attention is the last thing an introvert would do. For this reason, I find your theory lacking.

As to why people solo play, I would surmise that dealing with the potential rudeness of other players would rank high on their list of reasons. I'll come right out and say it: I'm not very good. My DPS won't be the highest, my heals won't be the bestest, and though I just play this game for funsies, some people take everything so seriously and think nothing of insulting a player who is not meeting their standards.

The first MMO I ever played was Dark Age of Camelot, and though I'd been playing the game for less than 4 hours, the first person I grouped with sent me a message in party chat telling me "You need to learn 2 heal, noob". I had been grouped with this person for all of five minutes. Not everyone in a MMORPG is rude, true, but when they are it is not a pleasant experience, especially for an introvert. This potential to be rudely insulted and embarrassed in front of the rest of your group is not, in the introvert's opinion, a game's "best feature". However, MMOs offer many other features that do appeal to them, many of which have already been mentioned in this thread.

I do agree with you, though, that anyone who wants to solo an MMO and be able to solo content that is specifically meant for groups is being unreasonable. However, I think the number of players who not only solo exclusively but demand that ALL content be tailored for solo play is so small as to be inconsequential.

Edited by mrcaptainpants

Grouping up to kill MOB's and calling it "social" was pushed by EQ. Both AC1 and UO ... two of the origial "Big Three" along with EQ didn't do this. Some people have become so brain-washed by EQ and the EQ clones, that they simply are incapable of understanding why people don't like to play at someone elses speed and how a game can still be social without the classic EQ "group up to skill stuff" mentality.

Yes, some people, as shown in this very thread don't understand. You can't explain it to them. You can't present the logic. They are simply unable to understand. They lack the mentality. They lack the vision. They know of nothing else and they will not be moved. Its not that they don't want to, its that they honestly can't understand.

Trying to explain the ability to be social without a group ... trying to make these people understand that "grouping up to kill stuff" was not a part of the original genre ... trying to make these people understand that playing solo in a dynamic world is more than worth the price of admission is a waste. Don't bother. Just ignore the sheep, play as you will and move on.

Oh .. if the game fails to support your play style just find one that does. Soloing is now mandatory in most AAA games. It made WoW famous and games without it fail. Play your way, stop making excuses (you know what I mean) and bump the brain-washed sheep.

I see alot of people saying the game is over when you hit 50, nothing else to do... as a solo player, to me, the game will be "over" when I get 100% on every planet, or as close to 100 that i can solo. even if i have to wait till im level 50 to go back and do a level 30 flashpoint.

you say that its crazy for me to spend my money on content that I'll never see, back at ya, Im sure you will not do every quest the game has to offer, which is considered content that you'll never see.

And WoW has proved how lucrative it can be. Apparantly, a lot of players are willing to pay cash to support their ego trips. They don't care that they are bored out of their minds doing the same exact "raids" every week. They just like being the "best" and bragging about what "hard mode" they accomplished.

It's just the sad truth of the matter.

So now these soloers are raiding or are you talking about some thing else when you refer to "the same exact "raids" every week" above?

They just like being the "best" and bragging about what "hard mode" they accomplished.

Doesn't doing a hard mode require that you group up with other people? Pretty sure most of the end game stuff, especially the stuff you could actually brag about, and show off.

Requires that you join a Raid or Op group and play though that with that group. Which means you are no longer talking about solo players.

I see alot of people saying the game is over when you hit 50, nothing else to do... as a solo player, to me, the game will be "over" when I get 100% on every planet, or as close to 100 that i can solo. even if i have to wait till im level 50 to go back and do a level 30 flashpoint.

you say that its crazy for me to spend my money on content that I'll never see, back at ya, Im sure you will not do every quest the game has to offer, which is considered content that you'll never see.

Kat, i've been reading your posts for awhile now and to honest I have no clue why you invest into an MMORPG. You are just wasting subscription fees to be honest.

It's your money to waste of course, but judging from the playstyle you describe there is absolutely no reason at all for you pay an extra fee every month lol

I mostly solo in MMOs because I'm happier alone in almost everything that I do in life. Some people are just like that, and we might be disproportionally represented in online games.

But I also like having the option to group for pvp and pve, to chat in the channels, and to be more social on occasion. I just don't want to be forced into it.