Why does Sorcerer/Sage have a Sizzle Stick?

nanogasm

I don't know the lore of the Star Wars universe too well, so if the Sorcerers and Sages in the books and movies wield light sabres, then I guess I get it.

But it doesn't feel right playing one. Not only is my sorc's light sabre basically just a shiny stat stick, but it doesn't feel right. I'm a squishy caster that should hang back, not conducive to having a melee weapon.

Should sorcs/sages instead ditch the sticks and instead be able to equip a Force-focus in both hands?

This is more a roleplay/cosmetic/how it feels thing, as the stats would just transfer over from light sabre to focus pieces.

I don't know the lore of the Star Wars universe too well, so if the Sorcerers and Sages in the books and movies wield light sabres, then I guess I get it.

But it doesn't feel right playing one. Not only is my sorc's light sabre basically just a shiny stat stick, but it doesn't feel right. I'm a squishy caster that should hang back, not conducive to having a melee weapon.

Should sorcs/sages instead ditch the sticks and instead be able to equip a Force-focus in both hands?

This is more a roleplay/cosmetic/how it feels thing, as the stats would just transfer over from light sabre to focus pieces.

why do mages in D&D carry staffs?

because they need some upclose defence..

why do mages in D&D carry staffs?

because they need some upclose defence..

Yoda would slap you for that. One has no need for paltry physical weapons when you can fry your foe with wink of your eye.

Besides, mages don't wield bastard swords like they do in SWTOR..

It is a bit weird looking in game, it's sort of awkward holding a lightsaber and using both hands to shoot lighting at the same time. I hope in the future they let sages/sorcs use two focuses (and add a mod-able one I guess) instead of a lightsaber.

edit:

Or just have it unactivated at the belt like the guy above me said.

Edited by areto

I have yet to See a Game (Apart from my first -mos) to use Staffs/Other, from where the attacks come from, Whats the Point in haveing it- if the Attacks comming from you,re self (hand) ?

Don't force to bring up WoW. When hunters wasn't all about shotting, but had to melee? They can wield a staff? GASP!

Sorry.

But I do agree. It seems a little silly, that Sage/Sorc got a lightsaber. In other MMOs I can forgive it, them mostly being midevil fantasy games, with magical daggers and such likes.

I just don't see a lightsaber having anything to do, with the powers of either a Sage or a Sorc. Seems like a useless cosmestics beause otherwise, it wouldn't be Star Wars if you didn't wield a lazorpewpewgun or a lightsaber.

Edited by TotalKitty

Sorcerer = Palpatine, who had a lightsaber even though he's a finger wiggler / politician.

Assassin = Darth Maul, who didn't wear heavy armour, which allowed him to be acrobatic and use a double bladed saber.

Besides, the sorcerer does automatically use their saber to deflect some attacks.

As for dual wielding focus items, so long as it doesn't over power us (i.e. gives the same stats as wearing a saber, then I think it should be optional. Perhaps it could give an "offensive" bonus and "defensive" debuff.

Edited by Tarka

yoda is skilled with his lightsaber

also deflecting bolt ftw

Yes but, sigh....

You cannot compare any of the characters from the movies, with the character system in Swtor. It's that simple.

Was it the case, then Yoda probably wouldn't be able to fight with his lightsaber for very long, cause if he did, he'd have his crap smacked out of him due to low def.

Yeah, especially in terms of the Jedi/Sith in this game, the class system is a joke. Darth Maul was if anything a marauder, nor an assassin. He wasn't stealthy, he wasn't a master of the mystical force, he was an angry, angry warrior. He used Ataru form and a double sided lightsaber because both were powerful, unsubtle ways to push his attack and allow him to kill quickly.

As for Yoda, he defies categorization. Super powerful with the force, but an amazing swordsman.

Yoda would slap you for that. One has no need for paltry physical weapons when you can fry your foe with wink of your eye.

If you missed the movies, Yoda has, and can use, his lightsaber. So does the preeminent Sith sorcerer in the films, Darth Sidious. Dooku is probably also a sorcerer, and uses a lightsaber.

It is a core element of both Jedi and Sith disciplines.

If you missed the movies, Yoda has, and can use, his lightsaber. So does the preeminent Sith sorcerer in the films, Darth Sidious. Dooku is probably also a sorcerer, and uses a lightsaber.

It is a core element of both Jedi and Sith disciplines.

There's no way dooku is a socerer.

Yeah, especially in terms of the Jedi/Sith in this game, the class system is a joke. Darth Maul was if anything a marauder, nor an assassin. He wasn't stealthy, he wasn't a master of the mystical force, he was an angry, angry warrior. He used Ataru form and a double sided lightsaber because both were powerful, unsubtle ways to push his attack and allow him to kill quickly.

As for Yoda, he defies categorization. Super powerful with the force, but an amazing swordsman.

Actually, Maul could use Force Lightning, was immune to Force Lightning to a degree, and was rather stealthy. If he was an 'angry, angry warrior' he wouldn't have been stealthily hunting down his targets, he would have been carving apart anything and everything he came across and would have been pinpointed in under three minutes.

OT:

I hate having my saber drawn for Force Lightning, as said, it looks completely awkward. I guess the Devs wanted it to look like more than just a stat-stick... but at the end of the day it's still just a stat-stick, just one that makes an animation look hideous.

Again, the game's class system is messed up in classifying characters.

Maul could use force lightening, but so could three quarters of the Knights/Warriors in the EU. He practiced stealth when it suited him, but push came to shove, he preferred to attack his targets head on. Hell, the very ability inquisitors use to channel their rage and regenerate is based so thoroughly on Maul that it even uses his face as an icon.

I'm saying Maul wasn't an assassin, but more because no one was. And no one was a Knight, and no one was a Warrior as we know them. All Jedi were a little different in their paths, and so were all Sith. It's only because this has to be an MMO that we have people who can Force Choke but can't Force Push, or people who know how to use Force Lightening but not Force Jump.

Yes but, sigh....

You cannot compare any of the characters from the movies, with the character system in Swtor. It's that simple.

Was it the case, then Yoda probably wouldn't be able to fight with his lightsaber for very long, cause if he did, he'd have his crap smacked out of him due to low def.

i was not

Again, the game's class system is messed up in classifying characters.

Maul could use force lightening, but so could three quarters of the Knights/Warriors in the EU. He practiced stealth when it suited him, but push came to shove, he preferred to attack his targets head on. Hell, the very ability inquisitors use to channel their rage and regenerate is based so thoroughly on Maul that it even uses his face as an icon.

I'm saying Maul wasn't an assassin, but more because no one was. And no one was a Knight, and no one was a Warrior as we know them. All Jedi were a little different in their paths, and so were all Sith. It's only because this has to be an MMO that we have people who can Force Choke but can't Force Push, or people who know how to use Force Lightening but not Force Jump.

Yep. Sith should be able to use any ability they want lol. An light sabers are one hit kills to take that out is horrible. Should be a deflect/par, that takes away force power, till you run out.

How did we not mention Shaak Ti yet? She was primarily a Force user as far as Jedi Masters go (even if she was skilled as a melee combatant, it was nowhere near to the level of others like say... Ki Adi Mundi or Obi-Wan Kenobi), and she still had her lightsaber out on a number of occasions.

It's a defensive measure. It's out to deflect blaster rounds and discourage melee combat (charging someone with an ignited lightsaber is generally considered a bad policy for most normal people, MMO aggro conventions aside). In this era, where there's a higher chance of meeting Sith for a Jedi, it's also there to absorb/deflect lightning if the user is trained to do so.

Some amount of martial combat is also a requirement for the Jedi Order and the Sith (who also have to worry about other Sith).

For a Sith example, Zannah was a Sith Sorceress, but also frequently resorted to her lightsaber.