1,490 players reviewed this game as a 5.9

Proto

• Replies 398
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There is a real theorem that a random variable will reflect its underlying probability over a very large sample. In this case, we're using Metacritic's user rating of 5.9: http://www.metacritic.com/game/pc/star-wars-the-old-republic/user-reviews

Putting 1500 random gamers to the test with SWTOR for a month and have them rate it on a scale of 1-10. You will very likely come up with an accurate measure of the game's worth based on that many reviews. That is what we have here and that is why user reviews are far more powerful and accurate than the skewed 'paid' reviews you'll see from sites like IGN, Gamespot, etc.

Swtor's real score (I think its a bit high):

You can always enjoy this visual representation of the above score as well:

Seriously dude? That site is all 1's and 10's. Bad troll is bad

If you read investor forums and stock marked reports, ( the most recent was just yesterday), shareholders where not overly optimistic about EA stock despite those numbers.

Everyone knows that initial subsciptions are usually strong and only time will tell. BW has set a very difficult goal for it self with a gigantic investment and the shareholders who are the real pragmatic number-crunchers are naturally skeptical . You may say that does not mean anything to you because you love your game, but you must know by now that in this world it is the quarterly results of companies like EA and BW which determine their commitment to a particular project.

Fortunately the official results released yesterday had put many doubters to rest and the stock which was dropping of late has rallied.

You can google it yourself but here is one of the links:

http://www.marketwatch.com/story/ea-activision-to-lead-videogame-results-2012-01-31

Ultimately what is the point of creating threads contra threads? In your eyes someone dissatisfied with the game is a troll and in their eyes you are a narrow minded theme park fanatic. Some people enjoy the game some people don't. Many make very constructive posts while others simply enjoy the verbal PVP - that's how it is. Ultimately if you enjoy the game so much why get bothered by a troll? Perhaps your enjoyment is too fragile and you are very sensitive to other people's opinions, in such case reading forums is not recommended as a general rule they are full of ****.

On the other hand throwing all critical posts in a single troll bag is not exactly fair either.

There is plenty of things in this game that could be improved. Personally I know I will be able to enjoy this game at least for another 4 to 6 months, on the other hand I knew from the start that I am tired of the theme park grind both casual and hardcore. From that point of view TOR will not hold my attention for longer then six months.

The simple truth is that I wish it could and therefore I post about the things I perceive as it's shortcomings. I also know that the fundamental mechanics of a theme park game automatically exclude sandbox content I consider important for a long term commitment to any game. Does that make me a troll? Does expressing my desire for a more innovative game automatically put me in a troll category and seriously hampers your own game experience?

I like BW products and I love Star Wars, lets just all play this game and enjoy whatever we can. Only time will tell if this game is successful - in one year we may all be signing a different tune...

There were other articles than that you cited:

http://www.marketwatch.com/story/ea-beats-targets-on-sales-gain-forecast-off-2012-02-01?Link=obinsite

Basically, EA beat market expectations despite lowered anticipated revenue. On top of that EA is about to release Reckoning and Mass Effect 3.

Attractive.

There is a real theorem that a random variable will reflect its underlying probability over a very large sample. In this case, we're using Metacritic's user rating of 5.9: http://www.metacritic.com/game/pc/star-wars-the-old-republic/user-reviews

Putting 1500 random gamers to the test with SWTOR for a month and have them rate it on a scale of 1-10. You will very likely come up with an accurate measure of the game's worth based on that many reviews. That is what we have here and that is why user reviews are far more powerful and accurate than the skewed 'paid' reviews you'll see from sites like IGN, Gamespot, etc.

There is a good chance that 1,490 of those people don't know how to rate a game based on what it actually is, instead they rate a game based on what they want it to be.

Contrary to popular belief, a professional video game journalist or reviewer is not always paid off to either give a game a bad or good score, a lot of the time the reviewer simply judges the game for what it is. You guys believe what you want but there are far too many uneducated opinions out there, people that just talk **** about something and call that a review, i'm not saying that everyone is like that, but most people are.

With all that being said, SWTOR deserves what it got from professional reviewers.

If you read investor forums and stock marked reports, ( the most recent was just yesterday), shareholders where not overly optimistic about EA stock despite those numbers.

Everyone knows that initial subsciptions are usually strong and only time will tell. BW has set a very difficult goal for it self with a gigantic investment and the shareholders who are the real pragmatic number-crunchers are naturally skeptical . You may say that does not mean anything to you because you love your game, but you must know by now that in this world it is the quarterly results of companies like EA and BW which determine their commitment to a particular project.

Fortunately the official results released yesterday had put many doubters to rest and the stock which was dropping of late has rallied.

You can google it yourself but here is one of the links:

http://www.marketwatch.com/story/ea-activision-to-lead-videogame-results-2012-01-31

I have read it...as well as the other article spelling out the numbers. That's why I feel completely fine stating that using Metacritic's user numbers as a final judge is, quite simply, foolish. Especially when other user ratings are significantly different.

This really says it all.

It's now 5.8 after my vote.

This really says it all.

If by "all" you mean "a highly suspect and largely biased user rating, from a site that is reguarly credited with having useless user ratings" than yes. That really says it all.

Metacritic has the user ratings showing a 5.9, based on 1513 votes. Metacritic.com ratings

Gamestop has a user rating of 8.6, based on 2386 votes. Gamespot.com ratings

MMORPG.com has a user rating of 8.1, though admittedly that's only out of 479 votes. MMORPG.com ratings

When you average these three, you end up with a 7.6 rating.

So, really, that post doesn't say it all. In fact, it doesn't say much at all. At least, much that is actually useful. Take it for what you will.

Edited by Jxspyder

This reasoning would only be accurate if you took a random sample of people who have played SWTOR and had them rate the game. User ratings on Metacritic are inherently biased, as those who are disgruntled with the game are more likely to go out of their way to express it than those who are satisfied.

You must have failed your stats class, because that is not random sampling. You took a frame from a sample pool of ratings generated mostly by trolls, haters, and etc.

Modern Warfare 3, to my utter disgust, is still a critical achievement in regards to sales.

The metacritic user scores for MW3 are horrible, mainly because there's a large PC player base that just "hate it" (That includes me). But did it get any of the target audience to rate it? I doubt it. Do 13-17 year old males go online to rate MW3 on metacritic?

Hell no.

My point is, the people who go on metacritic are not "Random". You picked a very specific sample which is not random, and thus you cannot conclude its "random". What would be random is if you somehow obtained the billing information for every SWTOR customer and mailed/emailed surveys for a few thousand to fill out and then got the score...that would be valid..

But please stop using math to prove lose conclusions when you cannot even use the math properly.

Edited by lowflyingmeat

There were other articles than that you cited:

http://www.marketwatch.com/story/ea-beats-targets-on-sales-gain-forecast-off-2012-02-01?Link=obinsite

Basically, EA beat market expectations despite lowered anticipated revenue. On top of that EA is about to release Reckoning and Mass Effect 3.

Attractive.

Indeed they did:

My point was that to impress those real number crunching analysts, since this thread is ultimately about analyses, BW needs to do more then this. In recent years we have seen initial game success wither away, and even though TOR has very good numbers now, in a way those numbers were expected of them. After all this game is the most anticipated hype since WOW.

I am so looking forward to ME 3... :D

People like you drive me nuts. IF YOU DON'T LIKE THE GAME, DON'T PLAY IT. I mean I don't like WoW anymore, but you don't see my complaining on the forums about it....

People like you drive me nuts. IF YOU DON'T LIKE THE GAME, DON'T PLAY IT. I mean I don't like WoW anymore, but you don't see my complaining on the forums about it....

I'm not trying to drive anyone nuts, I just want to make sure that the devs and people at Bioware know just how much I loathe their business practice to release an unfinished product, charge people premium for it, and then expect a monthly fee for it. Sorry if you enjoy being ripped-off, but I don't.

I'm not trying to drive anyone nuts, I just want to make sure that the devs and people at Bioware know just how much I loathe their business practice to release an unfinished product, charge people premium for it, and then expect a monthly fee for it. Sorry if you enjoy being ripped-off, but I don't.

This is all hyperbolic opinion, not fact. You guys have a really, really hard time telling the difference.

This is all hyperbolic opinion, not fact. You guys have a really, really hard time telling the difference.

I could say the same about you if you feel this game is great, right? I guarantee you're not 50 yet, or you just hit it and haven't been 50 for more than a week. I've seen the trend on the forums where the fans turn into haters very quickly after hitting 50.