Best MMO PvP you ever played?

Lazyllama

• Replies 259
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dark Age of Camelot had and still has the best PvP in any MMORPG ever created

If you never played it, its hard to describe all the greatness that you missed in one post, so lets just say you really really missed out on Awesome PvP if you never played it

DAoC 2, if any company has the balls to try and develop it, done correctly would kill WoW

PS People saying Warhammer...look...if you liked Warhammer you would love DAoC, since DAoC is Warhammer but with 3 Factions, 48 Classes, and waaaaayyy better mechanics

Edited by Jalez

Planetside

3 factions, a mass of vehicle, interesting character specification, the best stealth bar none (move slowly and you are invisible, run around and players can see your predator blurr) the world progression was awesome.

I remember sneaking around, taking points for closer respawns to the fortresses, hacking my way into the backdoors, taking over wall guns and turning them inwards on the defenders/blowing up other wall guns, driving a tank, being a gunner on a tank, being a gunner on an aircraft (i didnt fly though for some reason, I think perhaps I didnt have the qualification). I recall a shout out to board transporter aircraft and to support another offensive at other side of map, it was all just so epic.

Its a perfect example of how games today are all flash and no cash, I cant beleive todays games dont just steal all the good ideas of the past, maybe its ego like film directors, they have to come up with something "new" so they have their mark on it as opposed to building on a solid foundation of the past.

The first mmo I had real fun in PvP was in World of Warcraft. It seemed so fresh then and fast. Stanglethorn Vale was my fav zone :D When they added BGs I was like holy craps... it was so awesome! I could PvP whenever I want etc. And of course I loved WoW, because of lore. I was big fan of Warcraft 2 and 3(as a matter of fact Warcraft 2 was one of my first graphic online games). I didn't play much WoW after frozen throne was released tho. I didn't like how they planned to kill Arthas etc.

First of all... a serious shout out to all of the AC-Darktide folks in here! Way to represent! I think that a single poster said it best in here when they compared going in to a city to buy comps or sell in AC compared to any other game. Never have I played a pvp game since where I felt like I had to watch my back at every turn. While some mechanics were broken (like dancing casters), overall the game required far more skill because everyone could spec however they liked. Being able to dodge magic casts and no CC made the game enjoyable. I really loved how the run skill played a factor as people could chase each other down or escape. The politics of guilds in the game (Blood, Sanguine, the anti-guilds, neutrals) was beyond anything I have ever seen since.

I am pumped about GW2 because it looks to have many features that were dominant in GW1 and it also brings PvP back to where it was in the DAoC days, but I still doubt it will ever compete with the pure successful chaos that was AC. I only wish that AC2 had never existed, and they had continued to pour content into the original.

Why not add in permanent character deletion? Why not de-level?

Oh I remember the original Everquest. If you got killed you lost experience and you could actually lose a level. Vanilla EQ was just a great game. But Sony ruined it like they do with everything they touch.

Edited by Greyelf

Lineage 1 is still the best on my book

-No factions, meaning you can attack anybody, anywhere

-Reasons to attack anybody, anywhere (they could drop his own gear)

-Castle sieges, whoever control the castle gets % of all the vendors from the region. So every damn daily siege was busy always

-Evil/good alignement. If you are full good, you dont drop gear. If you are full evil (killing non evil players sums to the count) good players can kill you without alignement penalties. When assasination count reaches 30, you are sent to hell, where you must survive all the bosses from the game for 1 minute to get out

How can a WoW clone even attempt to come close to being good, let alone the best? It has good parts, but I have played better games. Yes, I prefer open-ended, never ending sandbox games over anything that caters mostly to pathetic tier-geared so-called PvP which is nothing more than a multiplayer function of a console style limited story game with Epeen factors. I'd prefer a reason to completing "dungeons" that isn't centered around some stupid gear drop. But for now, I play for the stories; maybe someday, when the game and players mature, there will be better reasons to play.

Best MMO PvP was either UO or DAoC. UO there was fear when someone else appeared on the screen that no other game has matched and I have played all of them.

DAoC was absolutely great getting 150-200 people together for a raid on a relic. The most amazing thing about DAoC was there was a real community associated with your realm and server. I knew hundreds of people and helped low level characters all the time just to make our realm stronger.

EverQuest

Everquest, PvP in that game boiled down to enchanter/bard the two classes that could lock down every other class indefinitely. No sorry that game had terrible pvp (the concept of a good/evil/neutral or race war was amusing though, But the class mechanics had been designed for pure PVE so certain spells mechanics got broken fast.

Lineage 1 is still the best on my book

-No factions, meaning you can attack anybody, anywhere

-Reasons to attack anybody, anywhere (they could drop his own gear)

-Castle sieges, whoever control the castle gets % of all the vendors from the region. So every damn daily siege was busy always

-Evil/good alignement. If you are full good, you dont drop gear. If you are full evil (killing non evil players sums to the count) good players can kill you without alignement penalties. When assasination count reaches 30, you are sent to hell, where you must survive all the bosses from the game for 1 minute to get out

What that really boiled down to on the NA servers was hordes of gold sellers taking over entire dungeons with pking enforcers keeping anyone not working for the sweat shop out of the area.