Gear based PvP is amateur hour

SourD

.People have been wanting a PvP game that was based on their ability, as opposed to what they wear, for years. This is not it.

PvP'ers (unless you live with Mom) have been looking for this for years. SWTOR is not it.

• Replies 418
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's hard to make a mmo with good pvp that doesn't rely on gear, i mean people get bored when there's nothing to work towards.

I personally would work toward vanity items, experience and in-game currency. I PvP mostly for fun so I would trade the gear grind for a skill based combat system any day of the week.

If gear only accounted for 10% of a players damage output then it would be a non-issue. It would be 90% skill and 10% gear but most MMO developers are silly imo and always go for the 50/50 route.

PvP is suppose to be about player vs player anyhow, not gear vs gear.

Edited by BeKure

I have been wanting a PvP game that was based on ability, as opposed to what I wear, for years. This is not it.

I (Yes I live with Mom) have been looking for this for years. SWTOR is not it.

It is still based highly on ability. But of course getting geared, then playing geared opponents doesn't count as ability > gear.

They have to keep putting in new gear because of PvE content.

Unless they decide to somehow disable all PvE gear when entering warzones/Ilum the PvE players would walk in with ever increasing gear and stomp on the PvP'ers because of the constant adding of new tiers of dungeons/flashpoints etc.

The point of an MMO is to progress usually in the form of gear now but I'd be fine with more cosmetic perks. But bottom line is that we have to have comparable stuff to the PvE content or there's no point in being a player who only PvP's, you'd just gimp yourself.

Protip: Its call carrot on the stick. Gives incentive/reason to actually pvp.

Protip: People PvP mostly for the fun factor and most of those PvPers would be willing to do so for vanity items/mounts etc.

Imo, I think all stats should be void in PvP. I think they should only apply to the PvE side of the game. Success in PvP should come down to who can better utilize the PC peripherals.

I'm sure the carebears will disagree though.

Edited by BeKure

It's hard to make a mmo with good pvp that doesn't rely on gear, i mean people get bored when there's nothing to work towards.

thats not true.. Guild Wars made it and GW2 is going for it as well.. its called compettetive PvP. All have same gear, access to same skills. If you want to be different, you change your look, but stats remain.. thats it..

Protip: People PvP mostly for the fun factor and most of those PvPers would be willing to do so for vanity items/mounts etc.

Imo, I think all stats should be void in PvP. I think they should only apply to the PvE side of the game.

I'm sure the carebears will disagree though.

what people? and why do you think you speak for this whole group of "people"?

and why is it that anytime someone doesn't agree with an idea in the pvp forums they're immediately called a carebear? is this recess on the playground?

thats not true.. Guild Wars made it and GW2 is going for it as well.. its called compettetive PvP. All have same gear, access to same skills. If you want to be different, you change your look, but stats remain.. thats it..

Agreed.

I will be leaving this game for GW2 in just a few months. Gear based games never keep me interested.

Then again that game has a lovely system to put you quickly up to par in pvp in making an exclusive pvp charector at creation. This however would upset all the pvp 'l33t' that got their expertise stacked armor.

The people that want skill-based PvP are the people that enjoy PvP for PvP's sake. The problem is that's a small minority of the customer base. Catering to us would be business suicide.

Right! I mean, just look at Guild Wars!

Only 20 levels.

Gear is entirely cosmetic.

That game is a MASSIVE failure, right?

Wait... what do you mean that Guild Wars 2 is the most highly anticipated MMO of 2012 at the moment?

Guild Wars is an entirely different kind of game.

If you compare GW to the current gold standard, it's by no means super popular.

Now, they could put both systems into one game, somehow. But that may be cost prohibitive from a development standpoint? I'm not a programmer.

As for me, I would LOVE a Guild Wars style combat mechanic. I remember the coolest part of that game was if someone attacked you from range, you could actually get out of the way.

Star Wars has laser beams that change direction mid-flight.

Edited by Absit

what people? and why do you think you speak for this whole group of "people"?

and why is it that anytime someone doesn't agree with an idea in the pvp forums they're immediately called a carebear? is this recess on the playground?

The people I am referring to are the real PvPer's. People that actually desire skill to be associated with their PvP experience. This game doesn't offer this due to that stupid statistic called "expertise".

It's the primary reason why PvP is getting boring rather quick in this game.

Carebear is just a general term so please don't take it to heart. I don't know you personally so please don't take it as such. If I offended you then "my bad".