This game badly needs mods and macros.

Zingas

Macro's are a bad idea..... they lead to too many ways for players to exploit things that were never meant to be exploited.

Instead of saying you want macro's - try saying what you want to do that you DID with macros in other games and seeing if there is a NEW way to get that functionality.

• Replies 406
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Macro's are a bad idea..... they lead to too many ways for players to exploit things that were never meant to be exploited.

Instead of saying you want macro's - try saying what you want to do that you DID with macros in other games and seeing if there is a NEW way to get that functionality.

exactly. macros dont adjust for ability procs, and with most classes having abilities tied to rng.....so how would macro's be useful?

..and if a player needs a mod to do anything pve wise, maybe you should pay attention...maybe even listen to the raid leaders?

Healers been asking for for this since I was in closed beta problem we had is some people think that all mods=healbot(the auto heal one that got ban). It would start huge flame wars calling pro modders cheats ect.

The UI changes in 1.2 was a huge step forward and if they keep adding stuff like that mods won't really be need but what ever gets me click to cast in the game fastest is what I want :)

I've never used mouse-over healing before or really used macros in any of the mmos I've played over the years so I really don't understand the need for them that much (I am having zero issues healing hard mode ops). Maybe I am just old fashioned and don't mind having to actually click on things.

Too each their own i guess.

people get to bent out of shape just because others out there have the knowledge and ability to create and use mods how they see fit. ITS A GAME you can play it how you want if you don't want to use mods so be it don't use them. Go start your own MOD free guild and be happy together. and let the real players do what they do best play there character to the MAX. Edited by Zilrota
removed language and political

people get to bent out of shape just because others out there have the knowledge and ability to create and use mods how they see fit. ITS A GAME you can play it how you want if you don't want to use mods so be it don't use them. Go start your own MOD free guild and be happy together. and let the real players do what they do best play there character to the MAX.

Hate to break it to you, you will not have mods in this game before version 2.0 or later. That is according to the developers at the guild summit. The exact words of the developer were "that is something we would like to see sometime in the future."

Not "we are working on this and will implement it when we can", but "we would like to see (it) sometime in the future". Take that in context with the rest of their statements at the summit and this means that they are probably not even working on a user moddable API at this time.

Edited by Zilrota
edited quote and removed reference.

Go start your own MOD free guild and be happy together. and let the real players do what they do best play there character to the MAX.

So those of us who don't use macros aren't REAL players? Why we must be bots.

Edited by Zilrota
removed reference to political content

This game needs MODS & MACROS period. I like playing a game my way. I am an older player and just don't have the dex of a youthful player. Macros are a great equilizer!

Glad you can understand Biowares point of view.

They are going to make thier game "THIER WAY".

Last time I checked, it doesn't take a child/elder to lose the ability to press buttons.

It sure would be nice to lose the ability of whining though..

Edited by PunisherAS

This game needs MODS & MACROS period. I like playing a game my way. I am an older player and just don't have the dex of a youthful player. Macros are a great equilizer!

Mods yes but only for a handful of things such as UI graphics or buff/debuff graphics. I would like to see buff/debuffs be able to look like elkbuffbars from WoW.

The only other mod I'd like to see is one for threat. It can be something like WoW where its built into the game to show a percentage or it could look like tidyplates from WoW where its a bar that changes color or moves left and right showing you a graphic display of your threat.

Macros will ruin the game and cause exploits and there are some classes that are already OP as it is.

• 2 weeks later...

There are some addons I would like to see, like a DPS meter, to see how changes you make affect your overall damage output. Other addons like WoW's deadly boss mods, just tell you what you would learn by fighting the boss a few times anyway, so I don't see a point in them beyond not wanting to learn anything.

Another addon, I believe it was called HealBot was good. I used on my priest in WoW, all it did is put a secondary UI component you could turn on and off that made it easier to keep track of which person needed healing, and put the healing buttons directly on their panels so it would target and cast with one click. This made dungeons and raids a lot easier on a healer.

and put the healing buttons directly on their panels so it would target and cast with one click. This made dungeons and raids a lot easier on a healer.

Well why not have the game just play for you? Youth of today just baffles me.

when i played wow i had very few addons, and the only one i miss is a DPS/healer meter (so u can learn how to play ure class properly)

Macros okey if u cant use it for attacks (could be useful in ops/fps)

But as a former healer i really don't want heal-bot and addons of that kind, just my opinion though

If you don't like add-ons, mods, or macros. Than simply don't install/use them. Easy.

That's the beauty of customization- you can do whatever your heart desires!

But if you do want the options, at least it's there for you, any way you want it. That's the way you need it.

Lol just like the journey song.

Edited by Rezarect

If you don't like add-ons, mods, or macros. Than simply don't install/use them. Easy.

That's the beauty of customization- you can do whatever your heart desires!

That's the ugly of add-ons, mods, and macros. If they're available, they will be used. If they are used, the devs must compensate for them, which means they go from "optional" to "needed". If I wanted a robot with me on high-end content, I'd suggest they allow us to bring C2-N2 along.

What, that bot is annoying? So is anything that makes a player into one.

That's the ugly of add-ons, mods, and macros. If they're available, they will be used. If they are used, the devs must compensate for them, which means they go from "optional" to "needed". If I wanted a robot with me on high-end content, I'd suggest they allow us to bring C2-N2 along.

What, that bot is annoying? So is anything that makes a player into one.

um... really?... They actually give you options for that already. Don't bring him/her a long, bring another companion.

I think the only reason why people don't want addon's and such, is PROBABLY cause they don't know how to use them, or cause they are casual. They're not obsessed players about damage. They don't want to be ruled out of a raid JUST because they don't have an addon.

I don't think it should go that far, but I do like having some addons that other people can't see. Like a PERSONAL dps chart, map addons, inventory addons, a personal threat meter, because I don't like dying. Nothing where your guildies/players will exactly see how a casually player you are.

There should be rules about personal space and how they like to R&R.

I think the only reason why people don't want addon's and such, is PROBABLY cause they don't know how to use them, or cause they are casual. They're not obsessed players about damage. They don't want to be ruled out of a raid JUST because they don't have an addon.

I don't think it should go that far, but I do like having some addons that other people can't see. Like a PERSONAL dps chart, map addons, inventory addons, a personal threat meter, because I don't like dying. Nothing where your guildies/players will exactly see how a casually player you are.

personal threat/dps meter will not help you in a group setting. if it isnt compared to the rest of the group it isnt actually doing anything constructive.

map addon for what? to find the quest area? already included

bag addon? could be nice, could also keep it organized yourself with little effort.

and macros? for what? this isnt an auto attack game like your previous. constant changes in combat and procs require a ready change in pace..... not to mention anybody who actually wants macro's has already made them for their keybinds and are using them.

though since we do have dps meters currently available, i suggest using mox desktop parser. works great, can see dmg done/recieved as well as healing done/recieved. can do it for yourself or connect to a raid

Mox Raid is a dps / heal / damage taken / healing received meter. It's not a mod or bot. This is as FAR as I am willing to let SWtOR go in the mod / add-ons before I unsubscribe. The only reason I use this is so the rest of the guild I run with knows I am pulling my weight. I could find another guild that doesn't use this mod / add-on.. but than I wouldn't be in the top guild on the server I play on.

http://www.swtor.raidranks.com/#!

The problem with Addons is that they do go from "Optional" to "Required" rather quickly.

Most addons start off as just being useful tools for players, But in time they are quickly abused from their original purpose. I think Recount for WoW is a perfect example of an addon being abused. It was a great tool when used properly, but self proclaim elitist started abusing the junk out of it, kicking members from the raids for not doing X amount of DPS, even though that person was still pulling their weight.

Another good example would be DBM, again a great tool; but it got to the point for some (not all raiders) that they could not down a simple boss without DBM telling them they were standing in the fire/poison/etc...

And my personal favorite (though it isnt used anymore) QuestHelper. It got to the point that if a major patch came through and disabled all addons until updates were made, players simply would not quest until this one was working again. It is like they forgot how to read the quest that told them exactly where to go.

Again the above does not imply that EVERYONE who uses an addon became a mindless drone, but there were a good number of them. So for my 2 credits, I dont mind macros, but this game would be better off without addons.

opening the game to mods and macros opens the game to easier cheats and multiboxing

in order to use 3rd party mods players need access to the game code to change it and the devs allow it somewhat freely.

when things like dps meters come into play players get left out of instances they need because of requirements of other players. and youll see things like this in chat "LFM for [instance here] must do a minimum of [number here] dps and must have [minimum of this gear] also link [this achievement] showing youve already done it or dont bother"

allowing macros lends itself to people controlling more than one toon at the same time from the same PC on different accounts. making pvp a nightmare for those not doing it. (imagine a sniper shooting you with ambush 4 tims at the same time..4 different toons..one person doing it...yeah enough said imo) they do it in wow through macros and because its not a "bot" or anything like that blizzard keeps allowing it even though they shouldnt.

granted these are somewhat extreme examples but they do indeed happen.

Edited by Anathar

No way in heck we should ever ever ever ever have marco's of any kind (except to Do Recruting or Prof spamming)

Macros is for people who are looking to take shortcuts and I personally feel like they would ruin the game.

I would agree to a combat log and a Threat Meter. But not to DPS/HPS meters it always causes it elitism in games. Specially the 8 year juggernaugt knows as WoW.

I like how in this game there is not as much of this and I feel addons and mods cause alot of the problems.