Remember when MMO's were worlds not games

Dethrone

• Replies 229
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

My MMO experience goes back to Everquest 1 beta. Grind, power-leveling and being gear orient have always been a part of it. They just come in different flavors. Who remembers Rubicite armor from EQ?

Can you SOW me? lol

EQ was too big a "world" with nothing in it. Miles of running and waiting for mobs to camp.

Meridian 59 was the original; and it got a lot of things right. EQ 1 was fun for a few months. DAOC was good until level 35 then you got that special gear where you hit for 600 (-579) dmg. There were many others that came and went. I'd like to be hopeful and say this game could last a while. I'm having fun so far.

wishes there was a new game with this experience instead of the carebear borefests that the majors keep force feeding us.

Haha yeah. UO broke my cherry to the MMO world, like many others. And my addiction started from there. Although I never got the same satisfaction as when I hit 7 skills to 100...

Sigh.

If only Vanguard hadn't been created by a company run by an idiotic druid addict and mismanaged to the point where it was released as an incomplete buggy mess. It might have become one of the greatest MMO's of all time. :D

I never realized Brad McQuaid was addicted to Druids. That explains everything! :)

^^^

I recall twinking, power leveling, I remember killing mob after mob after mob for EXP day in and day out. I remember there were only a few quests (gnoll fangs, Crushbone belts, greater lightstones) that were the only things really worth turning in for quests, and those were the only quests people did until the Epic quest lines came out for your epic weapon.

Other then those there were no quests.

Favourite leveling spots..

The ramp.. Remember that with the guard that walked by and killed everyone, every few hours?

Faydark orc camp room inside?

The Wall Of Slaughter?

The great Coldain Ring Quest?

First 'Time' raids?

Memories :)

It's the quest for a wider audience. Those old school MMO's were great but they were for a select audience, those that enjoy putting effort into a game and the feeling you get when you stomp others under your heel, the feeling that you can only get when you know the other person actually *gasp* lost something. The feeling you get when others actually know the name of your guild, not because you sat in an instance for 5 hours, but because you had a meaningful presence in the community. I used to spend hours and chatting with people, now most of the time no one wants to even talk to you, it's "go in, kill stuff, get out".

It's just the way of things though, in the quest for a wider audience it was first accessibility, then it became ease of learning, now it's trivializing everything so that everyone can feel like a winner. Those of us who were there though, only feel disappointment.

It's not just MMO's though. Compare Morrowind to Skyrim. Compare the first Tomb Raider to the latest AC:Revelations. It's everything, not just games. It's books, movies and even children's toys.

They still are, I used to be a hardcore raider, endgame type person in WoW, but I stopped doing that and started leveling alts with friends and doing other things, and you start to realize how great the game really is.

Play a different character, experience a different story, they are very well done in this game.

Sure endgame is important to have, but there's much more to the game than that.

It's this ridiculous obsession with having to have the very best items in the game and doing the same raid/op every single night that makes a game feel stale.

Get a partner and level 2 different characters to 50 throughout the entire story and see both stories unfold. Then do the same thing on the other faction. Go back and do it again with the other 4 classes you guys didn't do yet. You'd be surprised how much more fun you'll have.

Can you SOW me? lol

EQ was too big a "world" with nothing in it. Miles of running and waiting for mobs to camp.

Meridian 59 was the original; and it got a lot of things right. EQ 1 was fun for a few months. DAOC was good until level 35 then you got that special gear where you hit for 600 (-579) dmg. There were many others that came and went. I'd like to be hopeful and say this game could last a while. I'm having fun so far.

I have no idea what this "special gear" is that you're talking about.

I played DAOC for about 2.5 years or so, had a blast. But I don't remember any sort of special gear. Spellcrafted stuff was nice, though. Nerd that I am, I made little spreadsheets to map out my gear, stats, etc, to make sure everything was capped, in my 50th level class gear.

*adjusts her nerd glasses* :)

Can you SOW me? lol

the world was massive and the game also had a thriving community for several years.

People spend so much time in MMOs that they start to expect a consistent world view *between* games. Which makes it hard for any MMO to actually innovate else be seen as deviant or lacking in features.

I don't think that's necessarily specific to MMO's. I actually think that's a byproduct of First Person Shooters primarily and older school RPG's secondarily. Hell that's just basic game design. You want players from one game of a specific genere to feel at home in another game of that same specific genere.

I retract my previous statement... It's a byproduct of capatilism and a saturdated market...

Curse being a nerd / dork becomming popular...

Edited by Vincynt

No power levelling, no grind, no gear tier, no concept of a content end or reaching reward limits. It was about living and existing in a world with others...

Even pretty recent games like SWG, I had a friend who created her own prefession. She was an interior designer. You gave her the keys to your new pad, some credits and came back in a week to a palace. Every room kitted out to perfection...

MMO's used to stimulate so much more than horizonal, linear, reward based mentalities..

The last Major MMO that came out *attempting* to cater to that older style got reamed for a lack of content, and features prevalent in todays hand-held MMOs. Or course the ironic part is, here over the course of the next year, that same game is poised to be one of the most technically advanced, content rich, and graphically beautiful games in existence.

So either way, a company is doomed. Cater to the wow business model, and people complain because it simply copies from other MMO's. Dare to innovate and all of a sudden people complain that your innovative MMO doesn't copy older MMO's.

Can you SOW me? lol

No I'm a wizard but I can port you to greater fay and I think there's a certain charm to having a massive world filled with players.

Edited by GellonSW

The feeling you get when others actually know the name of your guild

That just reminded me of the first big guild I was in back in Ultima Online. Lynchmob Justice on Napa Valley. LMJ. Red and White colours were a requirement to be worn. And lots of people knew us on the shard.

Although there were less people connected to servers back then, but it was a great community - The reason I play MMO's.

No power levelling, no grind, no gear tier, no concept of a content end or reaching reward limits. It was about living and existing in a world with others...

Even pretty recent games like SWG, I had a friend who created her own prefession. She was an interior designer. You gave her the keys to your new pad, some credits and came back in a week to a palace. Every room kitted out to perfection...

MMO's used to stimulate so much more than horizonal, linear, reward based mentalities..

that profession is alive and well at EQ2 which has awesome housing and now you can even design and build your own home from scratch.

After I cancelled my SWTOR sub I went back to EQ2 for the reason alone - and the crafting.

Just picked up this nice little mansion to decorate:

http://eq2.zam.com/db/zone.html?eq2zone=2076c0fabfe68b5f44044c91c67617e8

There's a bunch of new homes now as well:

http://eq2.zam.com/wiki/Prestige_Housing_%28EQ2%29

Maybe someday BW will add enough stuff to make me come back - maybe :)

that profession is alive and well at EQ2 which has awesome housing and now you can even design and build your own home from scratch.

After I cancelled my SWTOR sub I went back to EQ2 for the reason alone - and the crafting.

Just picked up this nice little mansion to decorate:

http://eq2.zam.com/db/zone.html?eq2zone=2076c0fabfe68b5f44044c91c67617e8

There's a bunch of new homes now as well:

http://eq2.zam.com/wiki/Prestige_Housing_%28EQ2%29

Maybe someday BW will add enough stuff to make me come back - maybe :)

Without a doubt EQ2 had the best house system. So much so they had a GM assigned specifically for house item requests on the official forums. I don't know if she's still around. Good screenshots.

Edited by GellonSW

My MMO experience goes back to Everquest 1 beta. Grind, power-leveling and being gear orient have always been a part of it. They just come in different flavors. Who remembers Rubicite armor from EQ?

And before that, there was a little game called Ultima Online, no grind except training the skills you wanted and no progression except killing everyone you could.

Edited by Lightmaguz

Still part of the EvE-Online community and for me, it's been my second home. Although you're all in ships 90% of the time, you still feel that it's a real live world...

Sandbox games are the best if you have the imagination to go with it.

Edited by Zag_Stratos

The last Major MMO that came out *attempting* to cater to that older style got reamed for a lack of content, and features prevalent in todays hand-held MMOs. Or course the ironic part is, here over the course of the next year, that same game is poised to be one of the most technically advanced, content rich, and graphically beautiful games in existence.

So either way, a company is doomed. Cater to the wow business model, and people complain because it simply copies from other MMO's. Dare to innovate and all of a sudden people complain that your innovative MMO doesn't copy older MMO's.

You can copy and still innovate. WoW was the perfect example of this. They copied a lot of game design from EQ, but actually made the game FUN for anyone who wasn't a masochist. They changed a hell of a lot from what EQ did. A lot more than TOR did when copying WoW that's for sure.

the world was massive and the game also had a thriving community for several years.

One of the great things in EQ was; You could login saturday morning, join a group and be with the same group for the rest of the day. You could go have your lunch, dinner, run to the shops, and the group mates would hold your spot.

When you finished one camp, you'd move to the next. You knew each others abilities and failures and helped each other through the day.

There were no real rules. They weren't needed. You just got on with the job (grinding mobs) for hours and then at the end of the day, congratulate yourself on .5 of a level :)

/shout Need SoW for corpe run !

/shout KEI, bank, 5 mins

Yeah, I must admit, while I do 'really' love a lot of the new games, and have room in my tool belt for at least 'one' theme park style MMO, I currently have a big gaping hole in the loop that should hold the 'sand park' tool.

UO was my original sand park tool.

I tried SWG for a few months, but a few forces and the faulty way I approached the game led me to quit, which I later regretted - not giving it another chance.

I had hopes for FFXIV, but they kicked out the sand park guy and rather than fixing the sand park, loaded up more of a theme park team, with pidgeon holing armor system and holy trinity classes, and who knows what else now, the sand park dream died there.

Interestingly enough, I had 'no' expectations of this being a sand park. I'm having a blast with it for what it is. I have no idea how long I'll play, I don't look that far ahead.

I started reading some articles last year that makes me hopeful, however, that the sand park isn't dead. I think we'll start seeing the pendulum swing.

Not that I want to see it swing so much that theme parks are abandoned. Like I said, I dearly love both.

SWTOR is not a sandbox MMO, it actually has much more in common with a regular RPG than an MMO. for me a persistent world is only good if its a sandbox and the players themselves have an impact on it, otherwise you are paying Bioware 15 bucks a month to play their RPG could you imagine paying a sub for KOTOR? because that's exactly what your doing.

I think if you combined SWG's sand box style and size of planet's with Bioware's story telling and gameplay from SWTOE and you would have the perfect MMO.

World of Warcraft had a fantastic world when it first launched and it was the thing that kept me playing it. Love finding a random quest in the middle of no where and I'm one of the few people who liked the epic multi part quests which had you going from one part of the world to the next.

Cataclysm butchered that experience (although 80-85 was great in parts), the 1-60 world is on train rails. SWTOR is a bit like that too to be fair, I haven't confirmed this as I haven't played enough but from what I've seen it doesn't have the random quests or interesting places that are only accessible by a bit of exploring.

Yes in Anarchy Online Neutrals used to trade between the factions and crafting was a thing of beauty

Anarchy Online is/was the best MMORPG I've ever played. Sadly, I have a hard time playing it now because it's so painful to see hundreds of names in my friends list of good friends I made all around the world, who haven't logged on in years.

I had hopes for FFXIV, but they kicked out the sand park guy and rather than fixing the sand park, loaded up more of a theme park team, with pidgeon holing armor system and holy trinity classes, and who knows what else now, the sand park dream died there.

And you blame SE for this? All they did was respond to their community. All FFXIV really did was prove to me, beyond any shadow of a doubt, that the old-school mentality of MMOs is dead, and lives on only through the rosy colored glasses of reminiscence, or the select few who still play some select games going on 10+ years now. Games like EVE are an exception to the rule, and any company w/ a large investor base, simply can't justify that kind of risk.