The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

Why do many MMO players not appreciate the story?

chakkar

-So because you can't move the UI boxes around, you're going to whine about it? Is it really that big of a deal?

-Combat logs? Why do you need this? So you can feed your ego? "I did the best DPS, Im the bestestes".

-no day night cycle? Really? THat is such a big deal to you? lol

-Cant swim? OMG, you're actually complaining about that? WHo spends their time swimming in an MMO? If Rift, you could swim, but what could you do in the water? Find some lame loot which had horrible stats is all.

-load times. Is it really something to cry about? so you have to sit through a 10 second loading screen every so often. Big deal.

Why are you still subbed? THis obviously is not the game for you. Go back to Rift, where no one actually does "Rifts" anymore. Where the expansion island (I forget the name) is always empty, and there is basically nothing to do in the game except run the same instances over and over again.

TOR has tons more stuff to do.

Combat logs and customizable AI are basic functionalities. DPS meters help us measure our performance and improve. And a custom UI helps us play better. Surely you wouldn't be opposed to these features if the were implemented, if not for them? They wouldn't affect you at all if you didn't use them.

Although I agree, as a reason to unsub it's a bit weak.

• Replies 938
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Combat logs and customizable AI are basic functionalities. DPS meters help us measure our performance and improve. And a custom UI helps us play better. Surely you wouldn't be opposed to these features if the were implemented, if not for them? They wouldn't affect you at all if you didn't use them.

Although I agree, as a reason to unsub it's a bit weak.

Would I complain if they added features, of course not. But these unimportant features are nothing to rage about.

A large percentage here on the forums hate on the game and state that they don't give a crasp about the great story Bioware has put into the game. These are probably the same type of people who would play Modern Warfare, but feel they're a more sophisticated gamer, so they play MMO's....then constantly complain about them.

IMO, story is what sets this game apart. Ive only played bounty hunter so far and love the story and look forward to playing every class.

The story is fair, but I don't get my story telling from video games (nor from TV or movies) I get that fix from reading. I play games to game, not to listen to voice actors. Every minute I spend listening to an NPC is passive to me and I don't like that. The other features of the game are MUCH more important to me and I think to a lot of MMO gamers.

Edited by thorizdin

I don't mind the story. I listen to it the first time through but skip it with all my other chars that do the same quests. The only problem with it for me at least is on non-story related quests (I.E. planet story or personal char story) I don't really care about and forget what's happening 30 seconds after hearing it.

Agreed. But I never really find a lot to rage about in any case. Maybe I'm just not cut out for internet forums, huh?

I feel maybe we bother aren't:D Which is why I started this thread, to combat illogical idiocy which a lot of these ragers whine about. The original title of this thread was "are MMO gamers too dumb to appreciate story", but it was change by the mods, haha.

All the non stop nonsense here on the forums just gets to me sometimes.

i hate... haaate... HAAAAATEEEEE... leveling, with a passion!

you have NO idea

it took me 9months to get to max level in wow because i hate to quest

BUT

in TOR... questing is sooo enganging, the story is so emersive, i LOVE it

oh soooo much

<3

i hate... haaate... HAAAAATEEEEE... leveling, with a passion!

you have NO idea

it took me 9months to get to max level in wow because i hate to quest

BUT

in TOR... questing is sooo enganging, the story is so emersive, i LOVE it

oh soooo much

<3

I totally agree! Leveling in every other MMO felt like a chore. I remember in SWG, it took me at least 6 months to make master rifleman just because I could hardly bear to kill another Giraffe looking creature on Dantooine. I must have slaughtered at least a hundred thousand but the time I made master.

But in TOR Im actually enjoying the ride. The quests are interesting (most, not all). Its thanks to the voice acting and cinematic cut scenes, which add another level to the game.

Edited by chakkar

A large percentage here on the forums hate on the game and state that they don't give a crasp about the great story Bioware has put into the game. These are probably the same type of people who would play Modern Warfare, but feel they're a more sophisticated gamer, so they play MMO's....then constantly complain about them.

IMO, story is what sets this game apart. Ive only played bounty hunter so far and love the story and look forward to playing every class.

the story seems half baked at best, a novel idea but they should have splurged on a decent team of script writers.

maybe in an upcoming patch every vendor will also have a story sequence.

IF I wanted a "good story" I would read a book or watch a movie. When playing a game or MMO the story is at the bottom of the list.

Why? When the book is about your character and you have the ability to change the fate its much better than reading a book. There are lots of asian RPGs that gives you that epic story.

I care about the story to an extent. I leveled up my sorc to 50, doing all side quest and such along the way. After the fact I realized that side quest are a waste of time and bring nothing really interesting to the table in terms of story, except a select few ones I found somewhat interesting.

Now that I am leveling up a new character, I am ONLY doing the class story, as it's the only interesting thing in the game story wise. I'm also doing warzones, space mission dailies and flash points to get the rest of my xp, and so far so good, and it's a TON more enjoyable.

After hearing about 100 "woe is me, I can't do anything for myself" type quest that are pretty much all the same, I can't be bothered with them anymore.

Also, I'm a huge RPG fan, it's the reason I wanted to play this game. I love Bioware and their story telling, but I think the side quest in this game are just really poorly done. Class quest though, hats off to the writers. Doing a trooper right now and the story hooked me pretty quickly.

I have played a fair few mmo's and I do enjoy the genre but I started getting burned out a couple of years ago. I realized that there simply wasn't a story and I never felt like my character was heroic, he or she was just another paladin or wizard. SWTOR came along and finally fixed my number one complaint with the genre, now I have a good story and the illusion of my character finally being at the center of the storyline and not a bit part actor.

Why? When the book is about your character and you have the ability to change the fate its much better than reading a book. There are lots of asian RPGs that gives you that epic story.

Except you don't. TOR only gives you the illusion of choice, so your ability to change fate in the game is just an illusion as well.

I've been player a JK alt for a little while now. And I can be a complete *** to Kira, saying she shouldn't be allowed to remain with me or be a Jedi Knight left and right, and she will STILL be there. If the council asks for my advice on what to do with her, and I answer the right thing, they take my advice, if I answer the wrong thing they ignore my advice.

Everything significant choice you make in this game is an ILLUSION. You follow the exact same story no matter WHAT choices you make.

For instance, in the IA story line you can choose to side with Jadus at the end of Act I. What effect does this decision have on Acts II and III? ABSOLUTELY NOTHING! A little flavor text here and there, but the actual path the story line is taking doesn't change in the slightest.

Going even further into the story. Why can't I join the Star Cabal? Certainly my Agent is given many reasons to hate the Empire and Imperial Intelligence, and many opportunities to say so if that is the attitude you want the character to have. However NO MATTER WHAT, all Imperial Agents end up with the same End of Act III state.

Of course I understand why they do this: Unlike in a single player game where you can have branching storylines leading to different endings, an MMO is designed to continue indefinitely, and every content update adding new multi-path content would result in an exponential explosion in content that needs producing with each update.

However when I don't actually have a choice, I would much prefer that I not be presented with what looks like one. If I am just watching a static story, just show me the damn story. You don't see Final Fantasy XIII asking me to chose Lightning's dialogue in the cutscenes.

Except you don't. TOR only gives you the illusion of choice, so your ability to change fate in the game is just an illusion as well.

I've been player a JK alt for a little while now. And I can be a complete *** to Kira, saying she shouldn't be allowed to remain with me or be a Jedi Knight left and right, and she will STILL be there. If the council asks for my advice on what to do with her, and I answer the right thing, they take my advice, if I answer the wrong thing they ignore my advice.

Everything significant choice you make in this game is an ILLUSION. You follow the exact same story no matter WHAT choices you make.

For instance, in the IA story line you can choose to side with Jadus at the end of Act I. What effect does this decision have on Acts II and III? ABSOLUTELY NOTHING! A little flavor text here and there, but the actual path the story line is taking doesn't change in the slightest.

Going even further into the story. Why can't I join the Star Cabal? Certainly my Agent is given many reasons to hate the Empire and Imperial Intelligence, and many opportunities to say so if that is the attitude you want the character to have. However NO MATTER WHAT, all Imperial Agents end up with the same End of Act III state.

Of course I understand why they do this: Unlike in a single player game where you can have branching storylines leading to different endings, an MMO is designed to continue indefinitely, and every content update adding new multi-path content would result in an exponential explosion in content that needs producing with each update.

However when I don't actually have a choice, I would much prefer that I not be presented with what looks like one. If I am just watching a static story, just show me the damn story. You don't see Final Fantasy XIII asking me to chose Lightning's dialogue in the cutscenes.

So....why are you playing this "story driven MMO", again?

I was thinking of asian RPGs like I said and not this game. I know the story won't change anything so I space bar through it when Im playing my second character of same class as I have played it before.

Great title. This thread will turn out wonderfully.

:-)

I don't really see many posts saying bad things about "the story" at all.

Maybe some about particularly uninteresting stories (I hear the Jedi Consular one isn't great, but I've not tried it), but not a sweeping "I hate and do not appreciate THE STORY" posts.

But an MMO, in modern days, is all about endgame. Stories are nice, but they're done (in TOR) once you hit 50.

The Story is an attempt at making your journey to max level entertaining. I think Bioware did a good job (and a GREAT job "for an MMO") with The Story.

But no one ever needs to see The Story twice. Most gamers don't want to, unless The Story was just THAT GOOD.

On my Juggernaut, I did both the Class Story and the solo Planetary Stories without spacebars. I need not ever do either again.

Unfortunately, for every other Empire toon I create, the Planetary Stories will be the same. They won't be any better the second time around, and they won't be any worse. But they'll definitely be repetitive. And spacebarred.

So....why are you playing this "story driven MMO", again?

Same reason a bunch of other people are, it's a new MMO and we are bored of the other ones. Has nothing to do with Star Wars (this could have been Space MMO 2012 and I'd of still bought it) or the story line (although I have found some enjoyable). It's all about the fact that I'm bored of other MMO's so I'll play this one.

Would I complain if they added features, of course not. But these unimportant features are nothing to rage about.

I wouldn't go so far as to say unimportant.

Logs show you how you died. If a wipe happens, and someone wants to know why, a log will tell you. This game lacks logs, and if a group is having trouble with a particular fight, the log can easily help pinpoint why, where and how.

Logs are a no-brainer to include in modern MMOs.

The UI - I'll be honest, every time I log in and see the UI, a little part of me wonders how the current UI ever got approved for this game, and I hope that whoever does the approval no longer works at Bioware.

The UI simply fails on the most basic level of not having enough hotbar buttons for all my abilities.

It fails in that 3 of the right side hotbar buttons are covered by the Voidstar map (and 3 more look like they're covered, but they're still usuable).

It fails that I can't have more than 2 windows open at once.

It fails that so much space is wasted on overly large graphics/portraits that serve no functional purpose, yet can't be hidden.

And those issues don't even get into the lack of scaling and moving things (again, basic features for every modern MMO).

Have you played a character to level 50 yet in SWTOR? You don't change anything. You don't influence anything. The only thing you influence is your own LS/DS score. That is all.

My son and I both played the same class to level 50 together, and both took different "story" choices to see if it branched or changed anything. It did not.

You have as much story control here as you do actually reading a book or watching a movie. Don't let previous BioWare story games fool you (nor their pre-launch marketing on story and influencing it-- which was a flat-out lie). This one is nowhere near as in-depth as their other games. It's a rail-runner even as far as story, where you can change nothing.

Remember the old "Endless Quest" style novels from the 1980's? If not, google it. They gave you more control and influence than this game has.

Sad, really.

Edited by Jumajin

Gameplay > Content > then perhaps Story. You can have a great story, but if the gameplay is off, or there's nothing interesting to do after you finish your class quest line, then story means nothing. You can have a bad story, but have gameplay and content and still be happy and busy at endgame.

No MMO's focus should be about rolling alts to see their story to have something to do until they patch/fix the game. In this regard, it was a let down.