My 5 biggest issues with the game that made me cancel:

Nebbycat

First off, the game has/had potential, maybe still can be a major mmo in the future, but the clock is ticking and atm, I think it doubtful this game will not see a good drop off in numbers, let alone slowly grow in population.

Now, this is just me and my own opinion and I am in no way trolling, just being totally honest here. When I started in beta, I thought this game was amazing and had really awesome potential, and now months later, and a month and a half since EA, nothing much seems to have changed (That everyone really wants anyway) and this is what will hurt TOR in the near future (And why I can see why it is being called Tortanic).

Here are the 5 things that are so glaring and obvious, I cant imagine why BW didnt have these things corrected, changed, flixed or altered in some way, either before launch or shortly after:

1. The total lack of exploration, very linear (on-rails) worlds/zones/gameplay: For me this kills any replayability with wanting to roll multiple alts on each side. Doesnt help that 90% or more of the quests will be the same and even more so, with virtually no change in where you can level in. For me, this is the biggest buzzkill in my enjoyment in this game. The very ancient Hero engine doesnt help.

2. Lackluster choices in races: With such a rich history/lore of an IP such as Star Wars, it boggles my mind they went with mostly humanoid races. If you like the current selection, thats cool, but for me I like playing an alien, exotic race. Wookies, Droids, Ewoks, (whatever race Greedo was, General Ackbars race, etc). I use to play Wow, and when I did, i never played Human, cause well, I just think humans are very boring. With an IP like SW, i just find this unacceptable. And please dont say, "Well they didnt want the Cutscenes/ VOs to go "raghghgh"". That just stinks of being cheap and cutting corners. I never played SWG, but i cant imagine that game being as lame in choices as TOR is.

3. Static, Lifeless, "Cardboard-like Worlds": The games graphics arent bad, but even then TOR looks like it came out in 2008. But the biggest issue here, for me, is the total lack of immersion and interactiveness of the worlds. No random NPC doing a routine task, no wildlife, no weather patterns, no day/night cycle. If you play Wow, go to SW and you will see kids chasing squirrels. Is it so hard to come up with basic code to least make the worlds seem alive. The only thing you see is unclickable npcs frozen in the background that move very slightly. This either reeks of this game being rushed or being to concerned with sales forecasts. Again the outdated Hero-engine doesnt help.

4. Lack of basic features/horrid UI/Menus: Even most F2P mmos have even the most basic UI features. No Tot, no combat log, no macros, no guild bank/incentives/perks. Really bad AH design, the crippling ability delay (Which, I know BW is working on but still). Totally borked PVP balance (Iilum) . This really surprised me with the lack on basic UI functions. If you are you going to copy the top dog of MMOs, at least make it so the player can adjust the UI. This just screems laziness to say the least. Also, menus that close when your companion returns. The GTN which cant even have a search function is just nuts. And you cant even select which part of body armour, you want like say "chest". Even beta had that function, so BW actually went backward, instead of forward in that case.

5. Load screens: Another big game-breaker for me. Leave planet, load screen, go to oribital station, load screen, go to ship, load screen, selection planet, load screen, ad nausem. It would be scary to calculate how many hours you would spend at the loading screen in a years worth of TOR playing. I'm sorry but this gets real old, real fast. No thanks.

In summary, if BW addresses and changes this issues, and basically does a major overhaul of the game, then I would probably come back. But their CS is questionable and they seem to ignore most players requests and change minor or pointless stuff and add more content, instead of fixing current content. I am sure their is already a mass exodus of players leaving, I am hope I am wrong. I really wanted to like this game but until they change all the major issues, I cant play this anymore. Sorry the for long read.

First off, the game has/had potential, maybe still can be a major mmo in the future, but the clock is ticking and atm, I think it doubtful this game will not see a good drop off in numbers, let alone slowly grow in population.

Now, this is just me and my own opinion and I am in no way trolling, just being totally honest here. When I started in beta, I thought this game was amazing and had really awesome potential, and now months later, and a month and a half since EA, nothing much seems to have changed (That everyone really wants anyway) and this is what will hurt TOR in the near future (And why I can see why it is being called Tortanic).

Here are the 5 things that are so glaring and obvious, I cant imagine why BW didnt have these things corrected, changed, flixed or altered in some way, either before launch or shortly after:

1. The total lack of exploration, very linear (on-rails) worlds/zones/gameplay: For me this kills any replayability with wanting to roll multiple alts on each side. Doesnt help that 90% or more of the quests will be the same and even more so, with virtually no change in where you can level in. For me, this is the biggest buzzkill in my enjoyment in this game. The very ancient Hero engine doesnt help.

2. Lackluster choices in races: With such a rich history/lore of an IP such as Star Wars, it boggles my mind they went with mostly humanoid races. If you like the current selection, thats cool, but for me I like playing an alien, exotic race. Wookies, Droids, Ewoks, (whatever race Greedo was, General Ackbars race, etc). I use to play Wow, and when I did, i never played Human, cause well, I just think humans are very boring. With an IP like SW, i just find this unacceptable. And please dont say, "Well they didnt want the Cutscenes/ VOs to go "raghghgh"". That just stinks of being cheap and cutting corners. I never played SWG, but i cant imagine that game being as lame in choices as TOR is.

3. Static, Lifeless, "Cardboard-like Worlds": The games graphics arent bad, but even then TOR looks like it came out in 2008. But the biggest issue here, for me, is the total lack of immersion and interactiveness of the worlds. No random NPC doing a routine task, no wildlife, no weather patterns, no day/night cycle. If you play Wow, go to SW and you will see kids chasing squirrels. Is it so hard to come up with basic code to least make the worlds seem alive. The only thing you see is unclickable npcs frozen in the background that move very slightly. This either reeks of this game being rushed or being to concerned with sales forecasts. Again the outdated Hero-engine doesnt help.

4. Lack of basic features/horrid UI/Menus: Even most F2P mmos have even the most basic UI features. No Tot, no combat log, no macros, no guild bank/incentives/perks. Really bad AH design, the crippling ability delay (Which, I know BW is working on but still). Totally borked PVP balance (Iilum) . This really surprised me with the lack on basic UI functions. If you are you going to copy the top dog of MMOs, at least make it so the player can adjust the UI. This just screems laziness to say the least. Also, menus that close when your companion returns. The GTN which cant even have a search function is just nuts. And you cant even select which part of body armour, you want like say "chest". Even beta had that function, so BW actually went backward, instead of forward in that case.

5. Load screens: Another big game-breaker for me. Leave planet, load screen, go to oribital station, load screen, go to ship, load screen, selection planet, load screen, ad nausem. It would be scary to calculate how many hours you would spend at the loading screen in a years worth of TOR playing. I'm sorry but this gets real old, real fast. No thanks.

In summary, if BW addresses and changes this issues, and basically does a major overhaul of the game, then I would probably come back. But their CS is questionable and they seem to ignore most players requests and change minor or pointless stuff and add more content, instead of fixing current content. I am sure their is already a mass exodus of players leaving, I am hope I am wrong. I really wanted to like this game but until they change all the major issues, I cant play this anymore. Sorry the for long read.

all of this is opinion.. and how you feel.. I am sure there are those who would disagree.but good luck in whatever game you choose..everyone should be happy playing a game they like

I agree with all your points, especially the one about the world being static and cardboard-like. I still have almost 2 months of time to use up here... holding off on any further decision until those 2 months are up. I would say that 2 months is enough time for some improvement in one or two of these areas.

I agree with all your points especially the exact same quests but I'm still playing it because for the moment it's still fun and there's nothing else on the market that interests me :D

Also I find it amusing how the beta was so much better according to everyone I ask. Did Bioware upload the wrong build or something? Or did some guy in a suit walk in and tell them to remove all the useful features because a game that makes people miserable keeps them playing.

Also I find it amusing how the beta was so much better according to everyone I ask. Did Bioware upload the wrong build or something? Or did some guy in a suit walk in and tell them to remove all the useful features because a game that makes people miserable keeps them playing.

The guy in the suit walked in and told them to remove stuff that they could put in future content patches.

The worlds are dead, and feel dead. The servers are dead, and feel dead.

The game was underdeveloped and over-hyped to sell people at the start.

Like I've said; if this were any other IP this game would already be shut down, but because it's Star Wars they get a free pass for their novice MMO, that's so sub-par it hurts.

Hey I saw this on gamefaqs.

I agree with some of your points, however I have had no long loading screens with my game.

And the linear gameplay is just how the game is.

It's nothing that can or is going to be "fixed". It's just that type of game.

"3. Static, Lifeless, "Cardboard-like Worlds": The games graphics arent bad, but even then TOR looks like it came out in 2008. But the biggest issue here, for me, is the total lack of immersion and interactiveness of the worlds. No random NPC doing a routine task, no wildlife, no weather patterns, no day/night cycle. If you play Wow, go to SW and you will see kids chasing squirrels. Is it so hard to come up with basic code to least make the worlds seem alive. The only thing you see is unclickable npcs frozen in the background that move very slightly. This either reeks of this game being rushed or being to concerned with sales forecasts. Again the outdated Hero-engine doesnt help."

Only been playing for a few days and this is one of the first things I noticed.

I understand where you are coming from in this, but personally mmo's take a long time to master and with any game it isn't until you get the mass audience playing it that you discover the things you have missed in development. As for some of the features you mentioned weren't implemented like the guild bank, I think they are releasing one in the near future, as for the other stuff I am sure they will get round to it when they have the time :p

I understand where you are coming from in this, but personally mmo's take a long time to master and with any game it isn't until you get the mass audience playing it that you discover the things you have missed in development. As for some of the features you mentioned weren't implemented like the guild bank, I think they are releasing one in the near future, as for the other stuff I am sure they will get round to it when they have the time :p

The thing is, they've already had their mass audience... and they've been losing them every since day 1.

Alright, thanks for your opinion.

Since when was opinion vilified into insignificance? The opinion of players is the foundation the game is built on. All arguments stem from opinion and are backed up by facts, as with the OP's post. Guess what, in a democratic situation the opinion of the majority is what rules. The opinion of the majority definitely concur's with the OP in this case and that is backed up by the facts that countless posts have been made on the subject and a large proportion of subscribers have left/intend to leave.

But silly me, this isn't a democratic system, BW & EA share joint dictatorship.

Yeah, well that's just like, my opinion, man

If you want open-world gameplay, come play Eve Online with us. I came into this game knowing it's a theme park MMO. Your complaining that it's a theme park MMO is like going to McDonald's and complaining that they don't serve pizza.

SWTOR isn't groundbreaking, but it's fun. If you're looking for groundbreaking gameplay in an MMO, you're going to be disappointed from the start. There is no MMO on earth that is completely groundbreaking because that's the nature of MMOs.

SWTOR IS more fun that most other MMOs, however, if you're a fan of SW. The game has been out for a month and a half, what do you expect? MMOs by definition aren't finished products because they have to continually update and change.

The thing is, they've already had their mass audience... and they've been losing them every since day 1.

yes but these things take time, people expect everything to be solved straight away and they can't, wow has had years to sort itself out and every mmo is now compared to it. giving them all an unfair standard, but this discussion is happening in the wrong thread :)

yes but these things take time, people expect everything to be solved straight away and they can't, wow has had years to sort itself out and every mmo is now compared to it. giving them all an unfair standard, but this discussion is happening in the wrong thread :)

I hear you, and I am giving them time, otherwise I'd be outta here already. But I'm not going to wait forever.

Also, someone mentioned McDonald's pizza?! That was the BEST!!!! Oh how I miss it.

"3. Static, Lifeless, "Cardboard-like Worlds": The games graphics arent bad, but even then TOR looks like it came out in 2008. But the biggest issue here, for me, is the total lack of immersion and interactiveness of the worlds. No random NPC doing a routine task, no wildlife, no weather patterns, no day/night cycle. If you play Wow, go to SW and you will see kids chasing squirrels. Is it so hard to come up with basic code to least make the worlds seem alive. The only thing you see is unclickable npcs frozen in the background that move very slightly. This either reeks of this game being rushed or being to concerned with sales forecasts. Again the outdated Hero-engine doesnt help."

Only been playing for a few days and this is one of the first things I noticed.

"No random NPC doing a routine task, no wildlife, no weather patterns, no day/night cycle. If you play Wow, go to SW and you will see kids chasing squirrels. Is it so hard to come up with basic code to least make the worlds seem alive."

This above from quote im in full agreement with, although day or night cycles doesnt bother me that much.

Edited by Urko

Since when was opinion vilified into insignificance? The opinion of players is the foundation the game is built on. All arguments stem from opinion and are backed up by facts, as with the OP's post. Guess what, in a democratic situation the opinion of the majority is what rules. The opinion of the majority definitely concur's with the OP in this case and that is backed up by the facts that countless posts have been made on the subject and a large proportion of subscribers have left/intend to leave.

But silly me, this isn't a democratic system, BW & EA share joint dictatorship.

Yeah, well that's just like, my opinion, man

Love to see the irrefutable numbers you have and the source you got them from.

I don't think the majority of the game's players are hanging out on the forums complaining, but I can't prove it either way...

PS: No one said your opinion was insignificant. I think you misread.

EDIT: Very nicely stated OP. Although those are nitpicks for me and having made me want to quit. I do hope they work on adding more life and customization to the game. It feels dull and uninspired at times.

Edited by lucasomega

Since when was opinion vilified into insignificance?. The opinion of the majority definitely concur's with the OP in this case and that is backed up by the facts that countless posts have been made on the subject and a large proportion of subscribers have left/intend to leave.

It does? How many subscribers does SWTOR have and how many actually post on this forum. They better close the doors if the amount of people posting negative opinions on the forum are the only subscribers they have. I've seen the SAME few people posting negative opinions all over the forum. Only numbers will speak. If they still have a million subscribers then those who hate the game are the minority, not the majority. i'm not saying that the OP doesn't have some valid points, but this is the way of Bioware games (static world, linear). Everyone should have known that coming in. Bioware is all about the story and for SWTOR, the story will continue to grow and develop.

I don't PVP, no interest in it, but I group and I think heroics and flashpoints were well done. I love the story and I find the artwork to my liking. I love the planets and there's enough exploration in the game for my taste being a Bioware fan. I get lost on Couruscant and have to look at a map.

So you think Bioware is not going to add content via expansions? Of course they are, just like WOW did and of course we're going to have to pay for that content just like WOW. I've seen wow played and I don't think it's any more dynamo than TOR which is why I didn't pay to play it.

Edited by sevalaricgirl

I Signed up for 6 months as this is my 1st MMO and it will take me time to get used to all the lingo, stats and wealth of info that a lot of people fly through easier than i do. But i do see the OP's points for 1,2,3. Especially the lifeless worlds part. Everyone is just stood in a specific area with the odd few that wander in a set pattern. Maybe we have been spoiled lately but i look at skyrim's locations and then at ToR's and it's like night and day:

One is vibrant, full of life with the smallest things able to be manipulated. made or destroyed at whim.

The other is a static dull world that while having very nice scenery is just a background that is spoiled by the inactivity of it's inhabitants.

Still. I am in this for 6 months and I do enjoy playing the game despite these down sides but i hope they can do something to liven it up. As by the time my 6 months is up if theres nothing more to keep me here other than pvp battles then ill be bidding ToR goodbye as I don' think there will be any reason to stay subbed at that point. :(