Energy Regen needs a change.

afroebob

Well first of all, when I started playing this game I was a Jedi Knight and I had a blast. After a seeing some of the criticism this game got, I just didn't understand where they where coming from. Ya, its got its flaws, but I can think of only a small handful of games that could be considered flawless. Then I played an Imperial Agent and was like 'Ohhhh, now I get it'. From my point of view, the energy regeneration is completely bonkers.

I don't have a problem with energy regeneration when its done right but this is just bad. For anyone who doesn't get what I'm talking about its this. The more energy you use the longer it takes for it to come back. And I mean, it takes FOREVER. Imperial Agents when above 75% energy regain 5 energy a second. But when you get to less than about 20%, you regain 1 energy per second. That is f'ing batty. I understand making it strategic, but this is just obnoxious. This sets such a huge limitation on energy wielding classes its really like saying 'OK you have 100 energy, but if you use more than 25 your not going to get it back' because its true. If your fighting a boss, your confined to not going below your 25 percent mark otherwise you wont be able to get your energy back'.

And if you think I'm over exaggerating here lets do some math. Now, this might be a little bit off because I couldn't find the exact numbers, but assuming that your energy regen goes down 1 per 20 energy used it means 0-20 has 1 energy per second, 20-40 has 2, 40-60 has 3, 60-80 has 4 and 80-100 is 5. That means if you get down to 0 energy it takes you 46 seconds to get back to 100. That is a lot of time. I mean a lot, lot, LOT of time. And I know that this is to make it so people don't use all their energy, but that is just to drastic.

Before you get the wrong idea, I don't think this is a completely horrible system, but it needs to be changed. I think that maybe instead of having it be 1-5 it should be 3-5. It keeps that level of strategy in there, but it also doesn't tie your hands behind your back. From 0-33 energy have 3 a second, from 33-67 have it be 4 energy and 67-100 have it be 5.

Now, I know that their are some talents that will help with this. I know Agents get a talent that makes them get an extra 10 energy, and other classes probably get something similar as well and that does cushion the blow, but your hands are still tied non the less. I also admit I could be wrong, and that it could get better somehow the farther you get into the game, but right from the get-go I was having a lot of fun with my Jedi but by the time I was level 10 on my Agent I had to concentrate really hard to keep my hands from wrapping themselves around my throat.

So, if you have a good counter to this then, and in all seriousness, please tell. I want to be able to play an Imperial Agent, but I'm not going to play him just because he has a good story. So, yes, if you have a good defense to this than do tell, but if you don't than don't than don't try to just find some terrible excuse to try to defend it. I admit I could be wrong, and you need to admit you could be, too.

Anyways, have fun all and have a good day.

Edited by afroebob

Reading this made my eyes water.:cool:

Please consider reformatting your texts otherwise not too many people might be willing to endure such eye torture.;)

I cleaned the wording up a little and spaced it out a bit. Care to elaborate on your feelings on energy now?

Edited by afroebob

I'm not sure where I read this before, but I'll repeat it here:

"There's not a single problem with energy regeneration that can't be fixed with more use of the basic attack."

My Agent is level 12, so I'll use smuggler terminology here.

I make ample use of Flurry of Bolts. It has to be woven into the rotation, or energy gets eaten very quickly. As a Scoundrel, I keep Pugnacity up all the time. When I really have to burst (whether it be heal or damage), I have Cool Head to take my energy back up to a more manageable level. Honestly, though, I rarely have to use Cool Head.

I don't know what level your Agent is, but it sounds like you're spamming Snipe, without making much use of Rifle Shot. Yes, Rifle Shot is weaker, and in short battles, like with a few standard mobs, you don't need to make much use of it. It is, however, crucial to maintaining energy levels in longer fights, and as you gain levels, fights will get longer, as even standard mobs will gain more and more hit points relative to how much you can knock off per attack.

The biggest part of playing this game is resource management. Out of all the games I've played, it's probably got the most need for the player to proactively manage resources during combat. The key to that is the use of that low damage, level 1 ability.

Absolutely *********** agree with you OP.

Energy is so incredibly stupid. You are actually punished for using energy.

Honestly, the dumbest thing I've ever experienced.

No, you're punished for using energy badly and you're rewarded for using it, plus your cooldowns effectively.

Absolutely *********** agree with you OP.

Energy is so incredibly stupid. You are actually punished for using energy.

Honestly, the dumbest thing I've ever experienced.

Go run a mile, then take a 5 minute braek... run another mile, and then another 5 minute break, then yet another mile..... ad nauseum.

Do your later miles end up the same speed as your first? No, they don't.

The more you exert yourself, the longer it takes to recuperate before you can exert the same amount of effort again. The current energy system works the same way.

L2manageresources.

Go run a mile, then take a 5 minute braek... run another mile, and then another 5 minute break, then yet another mile..... ad nauseum.

Do your later miles end up the same speed as your first? No, they don't.

The more you exert yourself, the longer it takes to recuperate before you can exert the same amount of effort again. The current energy system works the same way.

L2manageresources.

Energy is fine but your example is terrible.

The energy system works wonderfully as is. You're wanting to destroy something frankly because it appears you're not very good at playing the classes that use it. The whole point is to reward careful use of energy and that you should be punished if you do something so monumentally dumb as to burn through all of your energy without having your CD to refresh you.

Raising the incoming energy rates makes the entire thing pointless just so a small number of people who like to spam abilities can keep spamming instead of figuring out which ones would be best right now based on current reserves. It also breaks energy class damage output as you can just keep throwing more damage out without ever having to worry that you'll run out of gas.

This is a terrible idea. Leave the energy system alone. Play another class if you don't understand how to use it.

On my Agent character, I have a rotation that uses energy in an efficient pattern w/o losing DPS.

How?

The Marksmanship tree allows instant use of Snipe for a short period after entering Cover. Snipe's energy requirement is also reduced. Use of Ambush or Snipe unlocks Followup (an instant and cheap version of Snipe). Also, use of Cover increases energy regen rate.

The only time I have to hit the Adrenaline Probe is during a boss fight that either A) knocks me out of cover often, or B) spams targeted AOE attacks to keep me mobile. Everything else, I just turtle up and blow it all away, and barely get the energy meter down to half in the process.

If you're on an Agent or Operative, and you're always burning out your Energy bar, you would be wise to check your rotation, and your talent spec. It's likely that you're not using cheaper (conditional) attacks in lieu of cycling your expensive attacks over and over... or you skipped on a talent that will reduce your energy consumption or increase the regen rate.

On my Agent character, I have a rotation that uses energy in an efficient pattern w/o losing DPS.

How?

The Marksmanship tree allows instant use of Snipe for a short period after entering Cover. Snipe's energy requirement is also reduced. Use of Ambush or Snipe unlocks Followup (an instant and cheap version of Snipe). Also, use of Cover increases energy regen rate.

There is nothing in MM that reduces the cost of snipe. Also, "Followup" is actually called followthrough.

Gotta agree with the energy is fine camp. You trade burst for long term dps. You can't go max the entire fight. Much better than burst ability with a long *** CD you hit accidently and then its down when you need it. You have complete control here. Edited by EternallSlumber

The energy is fine for DPS but it does make healing a pain, at least during earlier levels. Especially when your group is made up of idiots and a sniper is pulling the mobs before the tank can get to them and then the inquisitor starts DPSing something else or the tank uses an AoE and breaks the CC... Combine that with the fact that early level healing is a pain and I can see where the OP is coming from.

Granted, I never got my operative past level 25 so I do hope that it gets much better at later levels.

Edited by krookie

The energy is fine for DPS but it does make healing a pain, at least during earlier levels. Especially when your group is made up of idiots and a sniper is pulling the mobs before the tank can get to them and then the inquisitor starts DPSing something else or the tank uses an AoE and breaks the CC... Combine that with the fact that early level healing is a pain and I can see where the OP is coming from.

Granted, I never got my operative past level 25 so I do hope that it gets much better at later levels.

Healing is like suicide for me in raids and pvp I just cant keep up with ppls health and im in full champions its just dumb...Diagonisct Scan is just BAD..2 energy? per crit? cmon...and sometimes i can spam it for 4 channels and get like 2 crits then my tank dies from the mass ammounts of damage he takes. While i see some fruity sage jumping around keeping everybody up easily

I love playing sniper exactly because of the energy regeneration scale.

I really have to think twice before using an ability. "Will the fight be short enough so I can give the enemy damage-hell wasting all of my energy or do I need to save some just in case some patrol runs into me?" Once you learn to use it correctly, you will love it too. It took me about 25 levels just to find the correct style of play that would suit my needs.

Try out some different combinations. If something does not work out for you, try something else. And if something gues really bad, do not forget about your Adrenaline Probe.

And wait till you get Followthrough ability with 2 skills in Recoil Control... Best ability ever, if you do not count Headshot. ;)

I have a lvl 50 smuggler scoundrel healer and its a big pain with the energy anyone who says its fine is just in denial and or has never played one of these classes. A sage can heal for the same ammout and one heal takes like 3% of is 600 force. One heal for me takes like 30% or 25% of ALL my energy

Healing has got to be the biggest problem because their isn't any 'No energy needed' healing spell like their is a damage. Energy consumption for healing isn't like DPS which is almost always constant in comparison. And people are acting like I want a new system, I just don't want it to be so limited. I want to be able to use more than 20% energy (AKA 1-2 attacks) without having to take a massive reduction to my energy regeneration.

I love playing sniper exactly because of the energy regeneration scale.

I really have to think twice before using an ability. "Will the fight be short enough so I can give the enemy damage-hell wasting all of my energy or do I need to save some just in case some patrol runs into me?" Once you learn to use it correctly, you will love it too. It took me about 25 levels just to find the correct style of play that would suit my needs.

Try out some different combinations. If something does not work out for you, try something else. And if something gues really bad, do not forget about your Adrenaline Probe.

And wait till you get Followthrough ability with 2 skills in Recoil Control... Best ability ever, if you do not count Headshot. ;)

And you are really the only person here to give a good response other than saying 'Its about energy management'. Ya, no duh its energy management, I didn't ask to explain it. I said its to limited with your given energy regeneration and no one has really given a good response to that besides you.

Edited by afroebob

I have a lvl 50 smuggler scoundrel healer and its a big pain with the energy anyone who says its fine is just in denial and or has never played one of these classes. A sage can heal for the same ammout and one heal takes like 3% of is 600 force. One heal for me takes like 30% or 25% of ALL my energy

You can also regen 5% of you energy per second if you are managing it properly, whereas sorc regens 1% per scond and can't increase it without spending force or health.

You can also regen 5% of you energy per second if you are managing it properly, whereas sorc regens 1% per scond and can't increase it without spending force or health.

Its hard to manage it while your tank is getting hit for 4k and such by bosses i DO NOT have time to say ok Ill wait a little on this spell or so i have to constantly keep him up and cast heals

And you are really the only person here to give a good response other than saying 'Its about energy management'. Ya, no duh its energy management, I didn't ask to explain it. I said its to limited with your given energy regeneration and no one has really given a good response to that besides you.

Oh sorry, didn't realize ya needed a tutorial on how to play. Maybe I'll write one up for you.