Will Republic *ever* get Purple crystals?

AJediKnight

• Replies 197
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No, those are definately both purple. Granted, there is a slight difference in the shade, but they're both purple for sure.

That difference, however, is not enough to completely lock out the colour from the Republic faction.

Also, there is nothing inherently evil about any colour. In Chinese culture, red is the colour of luck and good fortune. Just because certain notable "evil" characters sported red lightsabers, doesn't make the colour evil.

Not to mention that red is the color of the Rebel Alliance and green the color of the Galactic Empire in the original trilogy.

The colors don't need significance -- they're just colors. Bioware tried to implement meaning for them in the original KotOR with sentinel using yellow and guardian using blue, etc... but you know what happened? We chose our class, went to the Dantooine crystal cave five minutes later, harvested a rainbow of colors, and 90% of us popped that sucker out of our saber and replaced it with something that suited our tastes.

Color crystals in TOR shouldn't be linked to anything, and shouldn't be exclusive to anyone. Nobody should be forced to use one particular color if they want best-in-slot gear; nobody should have to abandon a color at 50 because it is no longer present; and no color should be exclusive to one faction or another, particularly when there is absolutely zero lore basis for such a move.

But what if you were to stop caring, have you tried that?

No, haven't tried it and I think until become blind or die I won't stop caring. Look, video games have the word video in it, which means watching/seeing so that part must be somehow important to that kind of games... and since it is important I want it to be done well enough. BioWare has decided to make a Star Wars game, and the Jedi Knight class is supposed to be among other things to be the Mace Windu fantasy, so it is just sad that the players who want said fantasy can't get the right lightsaber for it.

if you dont see the difference between those 2 sabers then get your eyes checked cause as I said the sith purple is more darker and grittyer then windu's version.

Just so you know I checked those colours with Photoshop colour match and they are the same....a digital product doesn't lie and you may want to visit your optometrist.

The colors don't need significance -- they're just colors. Bioware tried to implement meaning for them in the original KotOR with sentinel using yellow and guardian using blue, etc... but you know what happened? We chose our class, went to the Dantooine crystal cave five minutes later, harvested a rainbow of colors, and 90% of us popped that sucker out of our saber and replaced it with something that suited our tastes.

Color crystals in TOR shouldn't be linked to anything, and shouldn't be exclusive to anyone. Nobody should be forced to use one particular color if they want best-in-slot gear; nobody should have to abandon a color at 50 because it is no longer present; and no color should be exclusive to one faction or another, particularly when there is absolutely zero lore basis for such a move.

I agree heartily. For example green seems like an "evil" color to me in some contexts, and against the blacks/dark purples of the standard sith coloration it takes on a "sickly green" affect and looks quite creepy. One may very well associate red with blood and death when it is coupled with black (especially if you are from the west) but team with up with some brown and pale greenish hues in the background and it becomes the vibrant hue of a flower, or in the hands of a wise jedi it might easily represent the blood pulsing through our veins, calling to mind lineage and honor, and not the spilling of blood at all.

I would like to choose based on the character and palette I create rather than being forced into this or that "alignment".

Edited by areto

Couldn't you collect a bunch of Columi Commendations, buy a Pistol with a purple crystal in it and then slot that crystal into your saber?

I have like 4 T2 pistols now, all with purple crystals in them. Unless you can't get the purple crystals in Smuggler pistols, and if so that really does suck.

No, haven't tried it and I think until become blind or die I won't stop caring. Look, video games have the word video in it, which means watching/seeing so that part must be somehow important to that kind of games... and since it is important I want it to be done well enough. BioWare has decided to make a Star Wars game, and the Jedi Knight class is supposed to be among other things to be the Mace Windu fantasy, so it is just sad that the players who want said fantasy can't get the right lightsaber for it.

Truth.

if you dont see the difference between those 2 sabers then get your eyes checked cause as I said the sith purple is more darker and grittyer then windu's version.

Wrong. I too checked with Photoshop as the other person and they are identical. The only difference is the lighting. One scene is much brighter than the other (gamma, etc.) which probably makes them appear a bit different but the color is the same.

Couldn't you collect a bunch of Columi Commendations, buy a Pistol with a purple crystal in it and then slot that crystal into your saber?

I have like 4 T2 pistols now, all with purple crystals in them. Unless you can't get the purple crystals in Smuggler pistols, and if so that really does suck.

Can you remove those crystals? I've heard conflicting reports on this.

Jedi use blue and green, Sith use red. Anything else is just EU nonsense.

This. The movies are pretty clear. Windu's lightsaber color had nothing to do with lore and everything to do with Lucas giving Sam Jackson a treat after he asked for a "cool" lightsaber for his character.

And bottom line, this is the reason there are lightsaber restrictions, to try and maintain as much of the feel of the movies etc. as possible. Yes, they have and will probably continue to add crystal colors into the game. But in the movie world, the colors most certainly DID have an alignment. So we're likely to keep seeing them in the game.

They should just add crafted purple crystals. If you wanted to make a color the 'exclusive' PvP color for the Sith, pick something obscure and stupid... like teal... or, what a thought, Magenta!

But purple? That's not a Sith-only color, Bioware! Jedi want to use it, too!

This. The movies are pretty clear. Windu's lightsaber color had nothing to do with lore and everything to do with Lucas giving Sam Jackson a treat after he asked for a "cool" lightsaber for his character.

And bottom line, this is the reason there are lightsaber restrictions, to try and maintain as much of the feel of the movies etc. as possible. Yes, they have and will probably continue to add crystal colors into the game. But in the movie world, the colors most certainly DID have an alignment. So we're likely to keep seeing them in the game.

BZZZT. Sorry, that's wrong. Is the 'look' of the films preserved when half the Jedi knights who run by me are wielding red? Or half the Sith I encounter have green or blue?

The restrictions don't make any sense, although that is a broader topic, while this thread is concerned with purple alone.

And, what's more, lol @ this idiocy about purple being an 'EU color.' It was featured prominently in two out of six Star Wars films (the core canon, FYI). It's as much a part of the lore as blue, red and green now. You might not like that it has achieved that status, but your feelings on this matter are irrelevant. It was in the movies. It is canon.

Edited by AJediKnight

But they aren't faction specific they are alignment specific so you'll see Sith with blue sabers and Jedi (and quite a few of them) with red sabers. So it's not really like the movies at all. Purple is faction specific though, and guess what, it's for the wrong faction.

madness.

Jedi use blue and green, Sith use red. Anything else is just EU nonsense.

Considering that TOR is based almost completely around what you call "EU nonsense" and is itself firmly part of EU, then you aren't exactly making much of an argument here.

I have pulled a purple crystal from one of my guns and moved it to a gun that is being used by Mako. I can not speak to putting it into a lightsaber, but I would be really suprised if it did not work.

I am also pretty sure that Tionese weapons have purple crystals in them as well, they might be a little less impressive than Columi crystals, but they would still give you the color you want.