This game is horrible on low to mid range laptops

Staramati

I think the fact that you think playing any game on a laptop and expecting it to run well says enough. Not only is it ridiculous that you are complaining about the performance of this game on a laptop, but you admit that the laptop really isn't anything great. However, BioWare is continuously working on improving overall performance for as many machines as possible. If you experience any problems, submit tickets in-game with descriptions of the problem(s).

EDIT: I'd like to bring up something I have noticed in regards to performance and hardware. Anyone using AMD/ATI hardware seem to experience more performance problems than people using nVidia and Intel. I use nVidia and Intel and I have come across people who have more framerate, ability delay, and graphical issues than I ever experience even though they are supposedly using hardware that is superior to mine in computing/processing power.

Edited by BislesRunningsun

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

It kills the gaming laptops as well. Using an i7 Quad core with an ATI HD 5730 and I have to set all graphics to low in warzones, plus I had to buy a cooling stand to keep from overheating.

Fun game, but very demanding

Oh but the laptop defenders in this thread will come swinging at you saying "MY GAMING LAPTOP IS BEAST IS RUNZ DIS GAME AWESOMELY".

. Bought a a6 quad core toshiba with 6620g graphics 500 g hd 4gigs ram it got decent fps but still ran bad IMO just seemed bad when you would turn etc was running on ultra low then tried a asus gaming laptop 3 years old with 1gig graphics it sucked more than the and. The and ended up giving me blue screens and overheating from running swotor. Basically you need 600 plus to get a decent laptop to run this I'm thinking i5 quad core nvidia 540m 6 gigs at the least. Prob better to go i7 but I wouldn't waste your money trying to cut corners to run this well.

Integrated Graphics <------- That's your problem.

That graphics platform offers NO dedicated video memory.

I have a laptop with a AMD Phenom II N930 2.0 ghz quad-core & Radeon HD 5650M:

High on all settings except shadows @ 1920x1080 gives me 45+ FPS all day (slightly lower in fleet).

This laptop is over a year old, originally cost $715 USD after rebates and was very middle of the road then. Next time you want a laptop with the intention of gaming on it, ask someone if you aren't sure what to look for. Don't trust a name brand, you need to find someone who knows specifications.

. Bought a a6 quad core toshiba with 6620g graphics 500 g hd 4gigs ram it got decent fps but still ran bad IMO just seemed bad when you would turn etc was running on ultra low then tried a asus gaming laptop 3 years old with 1gig graphics it sucked more than the and. The and ended up giving me blue screens and overheating from running swotor. Basically you need 600 plus to get a decent laptop to run this I'm thinking i5 quad core nvidia 540m 6 gigs at the least. Prob better to go i7 but I wouldn't waste your money trying to cut corners to run this well.

Didn't even read this... but your first mistake was....

Wait for it....

LAPTOP!

I think the fact that you think playing any game on a laptop and expecting it to run well says enough. Not only is it ridiculous that you are complaining about the performance of this game on a laptop, ,/QUOTE]

^^ That is simply ignorance. Plenty of laptop makers out there that can put a machine in your hands capable of running any game. It's a matter of whether or not you want to pay the extra for that performance in a portable package.

you admit that the laptop really isn't anything great.

Likely the real issue and that's true for people playing on desktops or laptops. Could have just as easily have been someone complaining about performance on a low-end core 2 with a 7800GTX w/ 512gb and 4gb of ram on 32 bit Win XP.

However, BioWare is continuously working on improving overall performance for as many machines as possible. If you experience any problems, submit tickets in-game with descriptions of the problem(s).

The sound advice in your post.

I can't think of any game which plays well in low to mid-range laptops.

It should just be common sense then playing on low end systems(laptop or not) isn't going to give you a good performance.

If people want to play modern games with high settings they need high end systems.

Oh but the laptop defenders in this thread will come swinging at you saying "MY GAMING LAPTOP IS BEAST IS RUNZ DIS GAME AWESOMELY".

Not really no. I am quite aware that a desktop is still much better then a laptop for gaming, if only because the CPUs are faster and the heat is easyer to deal with.

That being said, saying that games cannot run well on gaming laptop is just straight out foolish. If you want to play blind, so be it, but at least be aware of how ridiculous you sound.

Hardware technology has surpassed the gaming needs by miles, and is still going. We are at the point right now where comparing a gaming desktop to a gaming laptop is a bit like compairing a Honda and a Corvette. Sure, one can go up to 300 mph and the other maxes at 200... but the limit is 100, so it doesnt freaking matter.

Edited by Stonedsoul

Rift plays fine/ok on a mid range laptop.

Its also far more visually complex than SWTOR and there are a lot more people on the screen at once. While on a vacation I used my laptop (i5, low voltage, has a decent vid card) and played rift fine without anti aliasing and shadows turned off. Did pvp and rifts without a hiccup. Was it max res? No, but it was running 60+ fps, so it was smooth and still looked damn good.

I have friends on desktops that are relatively recent (1-2 years) that have SWTOR chug for them, have insane loading times and the such. I think its just how this game was made.

Maybe its due to BW choosing to use a gaming engine that was developed by a company that makes text based games and had never once been successfully deployed in another title....just maybe.

It kills the gaming laptops as well. Using an i7 Quad core with an ATI HD 5730 and I have to set all graphics to low in warzones, plus I had to buy a cooling stand to keep from overheating.

Fun game, but very demanding

Its not really that graphically impressive for all its CPU/GPU demands. Its just colorful, but the poly/shader/shadow level in the game is very low. Considering most people are having issues and dont even have AA enabled....thats speaking a volume there.

Its not really that graphically impressive for all its CPU/GPU demands. Its just colorful, but the poly/shader/shadow level in the game is very low. Considering most people are having issues and dont even have AA enabled....thats speaking a volume there.

surprisingly, my FPS on my desktop jumped from 60FPS to 100+FPS when i enabled AA.

don't really know why that is, but it has something to do with taxing your hardware evenly.

on that note, this game is not that taxing. my LAPTOP fails the minimum requirements for BOTH the CPU (single-core) and the GPU (integrated graphics), but it manages to run the game steadily at 20 FPS.

surprisingly, my FPS on my desktop jumped from 60FPS to 100+FPS when i enabled AA.

don't really know why that is, but it has something to do with taxing your hardware evenly.

on that note, this game is not that taxing. my LAPTOP fails the minimum requirements for BOTH the CPU (single-core) and the GPU (integrated graphics), but it manages to run the game steadily at 20 FPS.

Why does it say AA unavailable when you drop the menu down? So does AA really work now?

Why does it say AA unavailable when you drop the menu down? So does AA really work now?

hmm... thats odd if your UI says that. I have been running AA on my dekstop ever since they released it with the last patch.

oh, and I'm running AA on my crappy laptop, which has integrated graphics.

for some reason, AA is actually a performance-booster for this game.

edit: you could always force the AA through by editing your .ini files. that's what i did for my laptop. Running a low-quality renderer right now.

As an example of the performance increase when doing that, my laptop ran the game at 1 FPS before i edited my .ini files. afterwards, it runs at a steady 20 FPS. (read above post, fails minimum requirements)

I have a tutorial for editing those files, if anyone wants it, just PM me.

Edited by tiennen

hmm... thats odd if your UI says that. I have been running AA on my dekstop ever since they released it with the last patch.

oh, and I'm running AA on my crappy laptop, which has integrated graphics.

for some reason, AA is actually a performance-booster for this game.

Hmm ill have to check that out.

Not sure if serious...

Of course I was serious. Have you not seen the melee combat animations? The particle effects?

Melee combat in every other MMO is like 1 clunky arm swing repeated over and over and over. Every time I throw a grenade I'm like wow. The explosions look so good they are like FPS quality

I run 50-60 FPS on low settings on my laptop.

Turn on shadows and the laptop turns into a slide show.

Turn off shadows and it runs fine.

Put it on High without shadows and get a stutter but no slide show.

Only time I get this is with SW:ToR.

Skyrim runs great on my laptop with everything maxxed.

Conclusion...its SW:ToR.

No offense, but the game is taxing and inefficient. Any number of posts at tomshardware will show you that. Compared to other, far more graphically intense MMO's, GPU/CPU temps are higher in SWTOR, even with no other players on screen and otherwise 'idle'.

Swtor uses high colors and style to make the game appealing, but the actual graphics are really pretty simplistic. This is the same route WoW has taken to making its game acceptable to players in the face of other games that had better graphics but were not as enticing to players (AoC for instance).

SWTOR does not support dx 10, or 11 or any advanced features in either. It supports DX 9 only. Nothing its throwing at your video card should really be that taxing; there is no shader 5 or any new for it be getting hung up on.

Funny enough, every MMO thats been coming out recently is support dx 11. Even the old dog WoW updated for DX 11. SWTOR? Dx 9.

Reason I think is the archaic game engine(Hero) but only the devs can answer that.

LOL why do you think they are cheap....slow drives, slow memory, slow cpu ... doh

. Bought a ....... with 6620g graphics....

You should do research BEFORE buying something... and KNOW what you're getting.

STOP blaming the video game company for your own ignorance.

A laptop with those graphics was NOT meant to play 3D video games of any kind. Period.

I just bought a new laptop too, for my wife. It has a 520M graphics chip (also considered low end) in it and it plays the game just fine.