Leave space combat alone!

loanstarr

I'm fine with the space mini-game that is in right now. That does not mean I would not like them to add open flight PVP Space battles or even Space races hosted by the Hutts.

The current space shooter was added to give a nod to space combat because that was all they could get in for the start. They have said that eventually they would like to expand on what space combat could be.

I'm willing to wait to see what they add, after they fix the current issues. :D

• Replies 808
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So they had all the time in the world to copy and make star WOW and make 200,000 lines of voice dialogue on a $250 mil budget, but nobody in the space department? Or was the space team made up of 2 people? Dev takes time but it is obvious that space was not a priority for the Dev team or they chose not to allocate as much resources to it. I would of taken 100,000 lines of voice and one less planet to have a better space game then the rail road they call the space game now.

Or at least tell us the Dev plans for space then I can sit and wait, but all we here is a re-vamp on space is coming? but what exactly we don't know.

Also yes STO ground sucked, but look how fast they Dev'd STO and came out with the space game that is way better then STOR.

I agree. I think people are beginning to grow tired of Bioware's cagey attitude towards giving out information. Whilst I can appreciate that the "finer" points can be subject to change, surely they've already gotten the broader plan nailed down for some of the issues pertaining with this game (including the future of space and space combat).

My guess is that they are afraid to give out info, for fear of causing a decline in subs.

Side note: it wasn't Bioware Austin who made TOR's current space combat. That was done by Bioware Edmonton. A completely separate team. So it's not as if working on space combat was halting development elsewhere on the game.

Edited by Tarka

He left out Colony Wars which was perfect mission-based, sand-boxed (free-flight), space combat with strong story elements which would mesh wonderfully with Star Wars:TOR. Space combat doesn't have to be on rails to be dramatic and story-driven.

Don't forget the whole X-Wing series... you know, the games that achieved everything the developers claimed they wanted the tunnel shooter to achieve (Cinematic, easy to pick up, story based, quick missions), and with the same IP.

Personally, I think people just throw out examples with absolutely no context.

**snip **

Again, you're looking at the result of years worth of development.

You're right let them copy paste X-Wing VS tie Fighter, maybe add better textures and we're done.

;)

When I think of Star Wars--I don't think about running around on Tatoinne killing wamp rats--I think about large scale space combat with lots of x-wings and tie fights zipping around a bunch of capital ships.

Sorry the OP is running the game with a decade old computer. Let's hope TOR is around long enough for an engaging space combat expansion.

So you think of about 1 hour of the entire series? See, when I think of Star Wars, I think of Qui-Gon and Obi-Wan vs. Maul, the Geonosis Arena, Anakin vs. Obi-Wan, Yoda vs. Sidious, and Luke vs. Vader.

Veiled unsubstantiated insults about people's computers aside, I agree with the hope that a more comprehensive space combat expansion is somewhere in the horizon. Even moreso, I hope they can make it without compromising the core game, and people are smart enough to realize that it's not something that will happen overnight, but will be the result of months, if not years worth of development.

I don't have time to read everything in this post but I think I have the best idea for space content.

You know how you take a speeder from ship to ship on the fleet? Why not make space just like that, but obviously allow players to control their ships.

Every planet should have a zone that you can fly around in your ship and the combat would be exactly like any other combat. The only real change to space would be that your in a ship and there isn't a ground.

So they had all the time in the world to copy and make star WOW and make 200,000 lines of voice dialogue on a $250 mil budget, but nobody in the space department? Or was the space team made up of 2 people? Dev takes time but it is obvious that space was not a priority for the Dev team or they chose not to allocate as much resources to it. I would of taken 100,000 lines of voice and one less planet to have a better space game then the rail road they call the space game now.

Or at least tell us the Dev plans for space then I can sit and wait, but all we here is a re-vamp on space is coming? but what exactly we don't know.

Also yes STO ground sucked, but look how fast they Dev'd STO and came out with the space game that is way better then STOR.

No, they had approximately 5 years to develop a themepark MMO. Yes, it is very obvious that space combat was not a priority. Nor has it ever been billed as such. It's a mini-game, and was always meant to be one.

The Dev's have told us all they will ever tell us. That there's something in development. And the reason that's all that they'll tell us....is because people like you, who absolutely won't sit and wait, but will go nuts when it isn't completed on the day you expect it to be complete, with no knowledge of what they're actually doing. Which is why we've never been given hard dates or facts on gameplay....until those hard dates and facts are set.

Yep, the 2+ years they had to develop their space combat, which was pretty obvious in some of the issues and problems they faced at launch. Are you willing to give Bioware 2 years to develop a space combat expansion?

You're right let them copy paste X-Wing VS tie Fighter, maybe add better textures and we're done.

;)

Except for the fact that, well, they can't since it belongs to a different developer.

I am of the mind that space should be "upgraded" to bring more of TOR into it. Why is space the only aspect that doesn't have quests? Where I don't have choice? While I would prefer to be off the rails, I would MUCH rather have choice involved.

Do you save the fleeing ship or take the chance to blow up the destroyer? The possibilities are endless.

Think X-wing or TIE fighter type story lines.

And while we're talking about space... why does it have to be so difficult to get back to my ship? Why cant I mount up in spaceports? If you made it easier to get to my ship, I might spend more time on it. Like the QT or Emergency Fleet pass, give me an ability to return directly to my ship.

How about this. Keep the space combat the way it is and make that the pve space combat. But then give us pvp space combat which would lose the rails and give complete control of flight. Win win situation for everybody and also gives more pvp fun!

How about this. Keep the space combat the way it is and make that the pve space combat. But then give us pvp space combat which would lose the rails and give complete control of flight. Win win situation for everybody and also gives more pvp fun!

Or leave space combat as it is, and spend the roughly two years creating a free-flight expansion that includes both PvP and PvE missions. Preferably designed to be accessed similarly to how current space missions are, so you don't spend 30 minutes flying from one quest zone to another quest zone.

:csw_xwing:

It would be great to have a space sim with realistic challenges!

Leave the brain-dead arcade thingy for those who are too simple minded to handle 'sims'!

lol

Why not just go back to the black & white arcade games of the 70's!!

put in table tennis or pacman in a tunnel --

What a waste of money for a 'tunnel'....

I am of the mind that space should be "upgraded" to bring more of TOR into it. Why is space the only aspect that doesn't have quests? Where I don't have choice? While I would prefer to be off the rails, I would MUCH rather have choice involved.

Do you save the fleeing ship or take the chance to blow up the destroyer? The possibilities are endless.

Think X-wing or TIE fighter type story lines.

And while we're talking about space... why does it have to be so difficult to get back to my ship? Why cant I mount up in spaceports? If you made it easier to get to my ship, I might spend more time on it. Like the QT or Emergency Fleet pass, give me an ability to return directly to my ship.

Not that sounds more like Star Wars than the invisible tunnels that don't affect anything we currently have.

• 1 month later...
So because you are satisfied with mediocrity you are urging a company to not listen to numerous requests of a space combat revamp?

You pay 15 a month there skip. You can't even park your car for half a day in the city for that. The've put out an amazing product for that price. To argue that we are settling for meritocracy is an absurd statement that is more based in a sense of entitlement then logic or reason.

Leme ask all you people something, are you willing to pay for this "perfection" you seek? Willing to go 25 or 50 a month? .....or is this a typical champagne taste on a beer budget?

Space combat is fine. Its fun, it yeilds xp, it yeilds credits. As a peripheral aspect of a game its fine. Want space combat, go find a flight sim.....then let me know if they have the ground game that this one has, or if they are basking in the light of meritocracy also.

Or leave space combat as it is, and spend the roughly two years creating a free-flight expansion that includes both PvP and PvE missions. Preferably designed to be accessed similarly to how current space missions are, so you don't spend 30 minutes flying from one quest zone to another quest zone.

Makes sense, but the instant gratification crowd might not go for it because it can't be done yesterday.

Space combat is fine. Its fun, it yeilds xp, it yeilds credits. As a peripheral aspect of a game its fine. Want space combat, go find a flight sim.....then let me know if they have the ground game that this one has, or if they are basking in the light of meritocracy also.

Even the Devs have said they're not really happy with it. :)

I don’t get people’s desire for BW to bolt on a flight simulator to this MMO. Why create a complete stand alone game inside one of a different genre? If I want a flight sim i’ll go buy one.

Suggestions of free form flight and off rails would just increase the difficulty of play. Does anyone really want to use their whole keyboard or have to go buy a flight stick to play space combat? What makes it so great right now is the simplicity of its controls. Right now it’s easy to understand and get engaged in. I don’t want to have to memorize 10 – 15 different keys just to be able to play it.

I’m enjoying space combat as a way to gain exp between worlds. I like how it only takes 5 – 10 min of my time and the controls are not overly complicated. Imo the mini game already has enough depth with the ship being customizable and the missions being very challenging. Sure I’ll get bored of them sometime in the future but BW has already stated they’ll be adding more so I don’t see a problem with that.

And what if by BW revamping space combat increases lag or fps issues? There are none right now, space combat works seamlessly. For me, PVP at times is completely unplayable, I would hate to see space combat become that way.

So BW please do not make it more complicated or difficult to control space combat, I like it the way it is now

get out.

There is currently no space combat in this game. There is only an arcade style rail-shooter that attempts to recreate the space combat scenes from the various movies. And to be honest, in that context, it succeeds.

Where it fails, and fails miserably, is in bringing the star wars to Star Wars. It fails in bringing space combat to an MMO since the only person ever in "space combat" is just your character...alone. Not very MMO friendly.

Currently, space combat is nothing more than a mini-game that gives you something simple and grindy that lets you earn credits and experience with little or no risk except for lost time. In an MMO (especially a Star Wars MMO) you need something more to bring the feeling of the movies to life and a free flight Star Wars flight sim is a necessity.

Eventually.

It won't happen over night, but it needs to happen for this game to grow. It is a natural part of its growth cycle and without adding it SWTOR will not succeed to its full potential.

It doesn't have to be as hyper-realistic as Microsoft's Flight Simulator, or as grinding as the massive loot grinds of SWG's space scene but it has to be more than pressing 4 or 5 buttons while chasing slow targets with a cross hair.

The last thing Bioware should do is leave space combat alone. The potential for growth far outweighs the desires of a few players who prefer simple and unchallenging arcade game space combat.

You pay 15 a month there skip. You can't even park your car for half a day in the city for that. The've put out an amazing product for that price. To argue that we are settling for meritocracy is an absurd statement that is more based in a sense of entitlement then logic or reason.

Leme ask all you people something, are you willing to pay for this "perfection" you seek? Willing to go 25 or 50 a month? .....or is this a typical champagne taste on a beer budget?

Space in this game is something you could get on an iphone right now. It needs to be massively improved. The amount of people asking for that is proof enough. They do not need to go overboard, they do not need to spend millions. We did not have to pay extra for jump to lightspeed in SWG, so I don't understand why you would think we would have to double our sub prices for a decent space game.

I'm happy you like space, and I hope they keep it like it is for you, but I, and an awful lot of other players would like more, without taking away your minigame. Why you have a problem with others getting some more enjoyment from this game, without taking anything away from you, is your problem. skip.

I don't want a revamp. I actually like the tunnel shooter concept. I DO want the system fleshed out, and improved, which they are doing.

I'd like to see things like multiplayer, customizable ships, more story-intensive missions and better objectives, etc.

Right now it's a nice diversion, but I want it to be more than that.

I'm with this guy here, space coop and properly customisable ships instead of just upgradeable ships would be cool.