Leave space combat alone!

loanstarr

thats just it, i dont think its mediocre. I like it that way it is. It safisfies my need for a distraction and doesnt take a lot of time or unnecessary complexity. An MMO is about character progression, why are people failing to understand that?

Nobody said we want to remove the current space combat. We just want a proper one along with it.

Edit: Oh and, how is building your flying skills not progression?

Edited by Truga

• Replies 808
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nobody said we want to remove the current space combat. We just want a proper one along with it.

Yeah any new changes could run along side the current system (although frankly they current system could be easily improved as well)

Edit: Oh and, how is building your flying skills not progression?

Indeed EvE is an MMO, still a MMORPG even, it's just different to EQ1's model.

Space progression is (potentially) just as relevant.

I think that's why some of us are suggesting a Freelancer model, as it's pretty close to what already exists and maybe (although who knows?) the current system would only need adding to to make it more FL-ey (and thereby also more X-Wingey, etc.).

I completely agree on Freelancer model, that gem always sits on my desktop and its only 680-700MB ish.

Cleary not that hard to merge with the game.

I get that some of player base is happy with our shallow space combat. I can live with that and ToR space combat is optimal but if they did haev build a decent space where we can have at least some sandbox feelling game would be in a higher place now.

Much more higher...

that would be true if there wasnt substantial market data that proves you wrong

You are contradicting yourself.

gregordunbar wrote: "Most MMO players dont like flight sim combat."

I responded: "This is a ridiculous assumption that you simply can't back up with hard data."

Then you stated: "who needs hard data? What you cant come to a simple conclusion based on whats out there right now? I'd say your missing the obvious."

Now you ask for market data?

Again, I will ask where is the "substantial market data" that proves "Most MMO players don't like flight sim combat?"

I'd say your ability to support a ridiculous generalization is what's missing here.

Edited by USMCG_PANZER

It doesn't work that way. If they change the mechanics for space combat, of course the old one WILL be disbanded. Why would they uphold both systems? That would be double the work to keep it updated.

I don't think it works that way at all. There are lots of ways they could add more functionality to spaceships without removing the existing on-rails mission system.

I don’t get people’s desire for BW to bolt on a flight simulator to this MMO. Why create a complete stand alone game inside one of a different genre? If I want a flight sim i’ll go buy one.

And a tunnel shooter isnt a different genre? Did you think about that question?

Also no one wants a flight simulator, stop exaggerating. They/we want a free flight game where we can go where we want, explore, fight who we want (including each other), maybe even quest, using our ships which is A LOT closer to being the same genre as the game than the repetitive crap we have now. Kthxbai

And a tunnel shooter isnt a different genre? Did you think about that question?

Its a mini game though, not a central focus of the gameplay. adding a flight sim would be.

Also no one wants a flight simulator, stop exaggerating.

check this thread, thats exactly what some people are asking for.

They/we want a free flight game where we can go where we want, explore, fight who we want (including each other), maybe even quest, using our ships which is A LOT closer to being the same genre as the game than the repetitive crap we have now. Kthxbai

to be honest what you just explained sounds like a flight sim to me. Especially all the controls they would have to add for you to be able to do those things.

to be honest what you just explained sounds like a flight sim to me. Especially all the controls they would have to add for you to be able to do those things.

What, WASD is too complicated for you? Because the standard WASD setup can be used to fully control a spaceship in a space game. Try looking at Black Prophecy.

Seriously, just stop.

What, WASD is too complicated for you? Because the standard WASD setup can be used to fully control a spaceship in a space game. Try looking at Black Prophecy.

Seriously, just stop.

Well, let's see. The most commonly requested comparible flight component would be from SWG. It's controls are here. Another comparison that regularly pops up is EVE, which is here. Or, we can go with Star Wars: X-Wing. Star Wars: Tie Fighter maybe? Or, how about Star Wars: X-Wing vs. Tie Fighter?

Or, we can go with the controls from Black Prophecy, since you suggested it. You can find those here. I'm not sure how your reading comprehension is....but that looks like a bit more than just W, A, S, and D to me.

I'd normally just copy you in a sarcastic manner, and tell you "Seriously, just stop" and then say something about how if you don't, you'll make yourself look kind of stupid. Unfortunately, it's a little too late for you to come out of this looking anything but foolish, since your own suggestion does that.

Edited by Jxspyder

Its a mini game though, not a central focus of the gameplay. adding a flight sim would be.

check this thread, thats exactly what some people are asking for.

Have you played a flight simulator? That would include a very detailed management of the cockpit ... clicking every button in specific order to just to get the engines going, troubleshooting any problems that may occur, maybe even calculating the trajectory for light speed ... ive yet to hear anyone ask for that.

What players want is something more like how the game currently plays. Picture WoW flight form controls and movement (which id like to point out is also an MMO) but set in space, ships instead of mounted griffins, and ranged combat while mounted. That is FAR from a flight sim. The controls need not be any different either, just be able to control where we move.

I agree with the responses. Space missions are a very fun aspect, and i dont care if its a game within a game. I like to do something different just like EVERYONE else. yessir i said everyone and its a flipping FACT that doing the same thing in and out gets boring thus why people CRAFT or PVP or Guild Management or RAID or ALT and lastly SPACE Combat.

dont cry if you are afraid you wont be good at it or it would be too hard because i have a strong feeling that is really what the OP fears... give it practice and you will BECOME good at it... just like EVERYONE else.

so DO NOT LEAVE SPACE COMBAT ALONE!

Also i would like to see variety i think its safe to say every space mission has a Harder version of an older space mission... its the EXACT same mission just with targets that are harder to kill, they are the same targets too...

in the movies and lore there were so many different tie fighters why does the mark vI look just like the mark VII fighter in the game?

anyway just saying EVERY mission is on rails, would be nice to see missions that are not on rails. the older missions would be good candidates for replacements...

I agree with the responses. Space missions are a very fun aspect, and i dont care if its a game within a game. I like to do something different just like EVERYONE else. yessir i said everyone and its a flipping FACT that doing the same thing in and out gets boring thus why people CRAFT or PVP or Guild Management or RAID or ALT and lastly SPACE Combat.

dont cry if you are afraid you wont be good at it or it would be too hard because i have a strong feeling that is really what the OP fears... give it practice and you will BECOME good at it... just like EVERYONE else.

so DO NOT LEAVE SPACE COMBAT ALONE!

Also i would like to see variety i think its safe to say every space mission has a Harder version of an older space mission... its the EXACT same mission just with targets that are harder to kill, they are the same targets too...

in the movies and lore there were so many different tie fighters why does the mark vI look just like the mark VII fighter in the game?

anyway just saying EVERY mission is on rails, would be nice to see missions that are not on rails. the older missions would be good candidates for replacements...

well said i agree fully :)

Well, let's see. The most commonly requested comparible flight component would be from SWG. It's controls are here. Another comparison that regularly pops up is EVE, which is here. Or, we can go with Star Wars: X-Wing. Star Wars: Tie Fighter maybe? Or, how about Star Wars: X-Wing vs. Tie Fighter?

Or, we can go with the controls from Black Prophecy, since you suggested it. You can find those here. I'm not sure how your reading comprehension is....but that looks like a bit more than just W, A, S, and D to me.

I'd normally just copy you in a sarcastic manner, and tell you "Seriously, just stop" and then say something about how if you don't, you'll make yourself look kind of stupid. Unfortunately, it's a little too late for you to come out of this looking anything but foolish, since your own suggestion does that.

excellent post and thanks for the research. I encourage anyone to follow the links to understand what some people are asking for. Should be "like SWG". An absolute mess of keyboard controls better condensed on a flight stick. For someone to say its just WASD is absolutely false. Does anyone really want to have to play their keyboard like a piano to enjoy a short space mission?

This is exactly the controls i dont want to see. I want to keep the arcade style type gameplay. If they go in the direction of SWG for space combat its a complete waste if you ask me and goes against the vision of it being a mini game meant for distraction from character progression.

excellent post and thanks for the research. I encourage anyone to follow the links to understand what some people are asking for. Should be "like SWG". An absolute mess of keyboard controls better condensed on a flight stick. For someone to say its just WASD is absolutely false. Does anyone really want to have to play their keyboard like a piano to enjoy a short space mission?

This is exactly the controls i dont want to see. I want to keep the arcade style type gameplay. If they go in the direction of SWG for space combat its a complete waste if you ask me and goes against the vision of it being a mini game meant for distraction from character progression.

If they implemented a SWG style space component, why can't you decide not to participate in that one piece of the game - like you have suggested to others about the current space missions?

I flew in SWG with a keyboard and it was not near as difficult as you are suggesting. And there is no reason it has to be exactly the same. A simplified free space "space" would appease many SWG and related game fans. They have repeatedly stated they have a big enough dev team to do a lot of things at once.

And you could skip it and use that time to continue whining about something that's not going to effect you in any way on the game forums.

For me personally the mini arcade game that space is now just doesn't fit in with an MMO world. So much more can be done with space.

yes I want the game as complex and huge as it can be.

DAMN RIGHT! why don't improve the game and make it huge as possible. Just cuz some poor poeple don't wanna buy better computers??! fock them!

If they implemented a SWG style space component, why can't you decide not to participate in that one piece of the game - like you have suggested to others about the current space missions?

I flew in SWG with a keyboard and it was not near as difficult as you are suggesting. And there is no reason it has to be exactly the same. A simplified free space "space" would appease many SWG and related game fans. They have repeatedly stated they have a big enough dev team to do a lot of things at once.

And you could skip it and use that time to continue whining about something that's not going to effect you in any way on the game forums.

except your position fails when you mention resources and priorities. Time better spent on creating more space missions and you know the MMO part of the game. And just dont play it is a stupid argument, I like it the way it is now. Check the thread, so do a lot of others.

thats just it, i dont think its mediocre. I like it that way it is. It safisfies my need for a distraction and doesnt take a lot of time or unnecessary complexity. An MMO is about character progression, why are people failing to understand that?

Because the draw of the Star Wars theme is space combat. You know the whole definition of the IP. As others have mentioned we're stuck with a mediocre arcade on rails shooter, sort of like a solo play Dota in space but not nearly as fun. It's not terribad, but it's also not compelling either.

I really don't see how they can commit to a full featured space sim within SW:TOR without it breaking a lot of what makes Space combat fit into the game right now.

I'd rather see someone pick up the X-Wing / Tie Fighter ball and run with that - that was one of the best space sim games ever and I'd gladly buy it. I just don't see why the SW:TOR team should divide their effort into a marginal aspect of the game.

I already know people for whom the Space side of things is a confusing distraction that feels like feet on a fish. Making it more complex is unlikely to turn it into something that will appease the gear heads whilst increasing the number of users it alienates.