When will there be a "SERVER MERGE?"

gizbug

This game is dying check this out http://www.torstatus.net/shards/us/stats

it looks like from dec 24 which is the peek till jan 25 (which is now about the time where everyone is now paying for the game) there pop. is still 2/3 of what it was at the peek of dec 24 looking at the graph .

so if TOR sold over 2 million copies and 2/3 of those people are staying and paying for the game.

dying i dont think would be a word i would use. even if half are paying its still a major amount of people its roughly a MILLION people . thats 6 zeros after the 1 (just in case poeple dont know how many a million is , its a LOT)

of cousre all numbers based on the site linked are not the "real" numbers .

bioware/EA/LA have the real numbers down to the sec of all people playing and what when and where there doing and not doing.

IM not saying there are not empty servers but there are enoough people there might be speard out to thin though.

Edited by DarthPAWS

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Also, in addition to my pro-merge post, server merging would be fun. It would offer "fresh meat" to the table, new Republic, new 50s to play with, new Guilds to compete against or to mingle with. There really isn't anything to lose by server merging except for maybe a few name changes, and you would be gaining a larger population to play with. Not to mention faster warzone queues. It's not a negative idea, I'm disappointed the OP introduced it as such ("The game's dying!" - It's not). That's not how to get people on board. =\

it looks like from dec 24 which is the peek till jan 25 (which is now about the time where everyone is now paying for the game) there pop. is still 2/3 of what it was at the peek of dec 24 looking at the graph .

so if TOR sold over 2 million copies and 2/3 of those people are staying and paying for the game.

dying i dont think would be a word i would use. even if half are paying its still a major amount of people its roughly a MILLION people . thats 6 zeros after the 1 (just in case poeple dont know how many a million is , its a LOT)

of cousre all numbers based on the site linked are not the "real" numbers .

bioware/EA/LA have the real numbers down to the sec of all people playing and what when and where there doing and not doing.

All of this is including the fact that the game is not avaliable for purchase in asia or australia.

Also, in addition to my pro-merge post, server merging would be fun. It would offer "fresh meat" to the table, new Republic, new 50s to play with, new Guilds to compete against or to mingle with. There really isn't anything to lose by server merging except for maybe a few name changes, and you would be gaining a larger population to play with. Not to mention faster warzone queues. It's not a negative idea, I'm disappointed the OP introduced it as such ("The game's dying!" - It's not). That's not how to get people on board. =\

If you didnt play on the zerg faction you wouldnt need "more republic"

Servers aren't capped anymore. Problem is there isn't going to be an enormous influx of people to fill them up any time soon. I honestly think Bioware thinks that's what's going to happen and again it's another sign of their inability to understand the MMO industry. The majority of your players come in at launch, then you might get a weak trickle of new blood for the first 3 months.

Must be why WoW peaked at the 500,000 subscriber level, which is what they had after 3 months.

And with faction imbalance meaning most servers are 2:1 Imp:Rep the situation is magnified for Republic players even on servers with supposedly good populations.

A 2:1 difference in faction population is hardly that big of an imbalance.

Get back to me when it's 4:1 or more.

Seems like almost every server is low population. At Peak hours, there are not many people on any one server. Rift had this issue, and in the beginning, they shut down servers, and allowed people to merge to other servers. It's odd that it takes hours at lvl 50 for a PVP game to pop, as there is hardly anyone on the servers. They also need to implement CROSS REALM Ques. WOW did this, and was a huge success. For any new MMO not to include this off the bat, is beyond bizarre to me. I think Bioware is too focused on fixing bugs than getting these servers in line. Wish I never leveled on what is now a "Low POP" server, as most of the time I feel like this is a single player game.

Bioware, what say you?

My server and most the servers I see are ranked as High/ Very full. You seem to just be pulling random facts out of your hat.

Kudos for rolling on a low Pop server

Correct.

still it doesn't matter, i'm on us servers and during peak times populations are standard and most are heavy/very heavy with a few at full. We must have different opinions on what peak times are, for instance last night being a monday over half the us servers at around 9pm were listed as heavy, around 10 listed at very heavy. My server Lord Adraas is always full, zones do not feel empty, i actually have trouble completing some quest objectives at times due to too many around!

Yes because everyone just loves to pick up and leave their main server and start all over again. WONDERFUL suggestion.

:rolleyes:

The problem is, everyone has their 'thing', you know?

While you think that solution is completely undesirable, I would find logging in some day and finding one or more of my characters renamed because of a server merge unacceptable.

And you can tell me I'm stupid and my character names or bad or whatever, or someone else will post that as a response to this, but the point is...everyone has their 'thing', you know?

And here's a sarcastic smiley back at you (:p)... :rolleyes:

The problem is, everyone has their 'thing', you know?

While you think that solution is completely undesirable, I would find logging in some day and finding one or more of my characters renamed because of a server merge unacceptable.

And you can tell me I'm stupid and my character names or bad or whatever, or someone else will post that as a response to this, but the point is...everyone has their 'thing', you know?

And here's a sarcastic smiley back at you (:p)... :rolleyes:

Wait. You'd rather a server DIE and subscribers to leave because of a possible name change?

Rift is terrible, and Rift is heavily instanced. ****

Hmmm, the darkside I sence in you... I must be doing something wrong, playing on ULTRA MAXED out and not seen one instanced zone, everything seems eemless to me and everyone else.... Sure you're not on about EQ2?? Mutha!?

still it doesn't matter, i'm on us servers and during peak times populations are standard and most are heavy/very heavy with a few at full. We must have different opinions on what peak times are, for instance last night being a monday over half the us servers at around 9pm were listed as heavy, around 10 listed at very heavy. My server Lord Adraas is always full, zones do not feel empty, i actually have trouble completing some quest objectives at times due to too many around!

Lord Calypho was generally heavy most of the time, but due to the instances zones, they looked empty.. depending on which instance you where of course, perhaps that's why it looks like a single player game most of the time..... althopugh it is due to it's linear gameplay... :cool:

Wait. You'd rather a server DIE and subscribers to leave because of a possible name change?

I'm 'not' telling you I have 'the' answer for the situation, and no where did I say I want a server to die, you totally straw manned me! ;)

I'm just saying that every solution is going to upset some people because of what is ultimately involved.

And I can tell by your tone, that you'll pull out a protractor and abacus and prove to me how my concern about possibly having my name changed is 'clearly' insignificant compared to people who are not having a good time because they don't have anyone to play with, and I'm ultimately going to lose, so I'm not going to argue with you.

And I'll just quietly, I guess, keep an eye on number 3 and if it happens, then that will be that, because that's all I can do about it is vote with my wallet.

Which would really, really be a shame. I guess I'll just hope that my 40 place holders across the 5 servers I picked (which were very, very early servers and 'very' high pop when it all started) will always be on the 'merge to' side of the equation, and they use rules where if you are on the 'from' side and a name exists, then the 'from' side loses the name war.

But I digress. You are right, that is totally what I was saying, low pop servers should die (:rolleyes:). You won; I feel shame and defeat.

Hmmm, the darkside I sence in you... I must be doing something wrong, playing on ULTRA MAXED out and not seen one instanced zone, everything seems eemless to me and everyone else.... Sure you're not on about EQ2?? Mutha!?

You realize Rift on ultra maxed out looks like Mass Effect 2 on low right?

I love mmo gamers who think they have "gaming rigs"

I haven't had any trouble getting groups to do anything. I'm an insomniac so quite often I am playing when most US servers are light and even then I still have no problems getting groups if I want them.

When I play during the day, my servers (yes I play on more than one server) are usually Standard/Heavy

So not sure what your problems are but I'm sure not seeing it.

If I were BioWare I would wait until they want to do their first free week of trial play offer and limit it to the low pop servers. Cap the trial high enough where those players feel invested and hopefully many of them who stick with the game will help alleviate the low-pop situation.

Mergers can be debatable if you still have growth plans. I am assuming there are some future promotions they have in mind plus who knows what the March release in Australia will do to server populations? Super Bowl ad? Once they get a good picture of the really problematically low pop servers, I hope everyone calling for them is ready to accept a new community and possibly lose their name because they are being merged into a server where someone has it.

Edited by Matte_Black

You realize Rift on ultra maxed out looks like Mass Effect 2 on low right?

I love mmo gamers who think they have "gaming rigs"

First you tell us that Rift is heavy instanced, which it is not and now you point out ME2 as an example of a game with highend graphics?

Rift is about as instanced as WoW and nowhere close to the level of SWTOR or Age of Conan in that point.

Mass Effect 2 is a nice looking game, but also a great example of a corridor shooter and can absolutly not be compared to Rift with its largescale landscapes. If you want to talk graphics, talk about Crysis (DX10), Crysis 2 (DX11) or Battlefield 3.

And what has all of this, including your strange comment about "gaming rigs" even have to do with server mergers?

The exile's crystall got low pop problem as well, and as a pvp server this really really sucks.

And warzone's at 50 is always the same people in it, like it seems that there's only what 50 lvl50 people lol.... We have the problem on warzone's that we meet everyday always our own clan premade's its that bad, and not only once but sunday we broke the record of 12times....I mean cmon we play this for the pvp and we meet eachother more and more...Ilum weve had maybe 4 fights of like 20imps vs 10rebels whatever maybe biggest fight ever was 30v20 thats not much at all.... 'Good' those boxes are there to complete a daily quest but thats just redicilous camping boxes for a *********** PvP quest/reward. Merge some servers together becouse this aint going nowhere, cough 70 people on imp fleet prime time, and I think rebels got maybe 50 lol, Just to give youan idea how bad this is.