> PvE Versus PvP <. Which takes more skill?

Frostbird

So, whether it's here, WoW, Diablo, DCUO or any other game that attempts to have both a solid PvE and PvP side to it's content, almost every PvE related thread that goes on long enough will have some PvPer jump in to flame with "Lol scripted encounters", "Lol pve takes no skills" or some variation thereof.

Not quite sure why, since I don't think I've ever seen PvEers flaming the PvPers, aside from when nerfs from one affects the other.

So - what do you think? Which side of the game takes a better class of player?

Most of these MMOs have 1.5 sec gcd which makes it so that even the worst players can succeed in anything if they just pay a little bit of attention.

So long as you have 1.5 seconds to think what button out of 10 should be clicked next the skill ceiling in these tab targeted games will stay at the all time low. Even an 8 year old can play these games and succeed in them.

In order to have an actual skill, you either need apm or aim involved, or both.

I've never "succeeded" at pvp by any metric, but i can kill 90% of the player base 1v1, and can top dmg meters with multiple classes, main tank or main heal.

Any fight you can go to youtube and learn is automatically easier than one you can't. Which pve fights can you do this on? (all of them). Which pvp fights can you do this on? (none of them)

PVP mostly. Bounty Hunter is PVE is just 2 button hero. You CAN use other buttons but most of my time I just used one hand.

That hand hold mouse. 2 buttons to move so he moved. Then I was clicking on unload and tracer missiles while mako was healing me.

And this continued until lvl 50 when I got bored.

On PVP at least I must use keyboard and second hand. No more coffe/milk/tea while fighting. PVE in TOR is simple, stupid, boring and not interesting or chalenging at all.

Asking which takes more skill is a bit like asking whether it's harder for an actor to perform comedy or drama. The techniques and skills overlap somewhat, and they're both kinds of acting, but one can't really be considered more difficult than the other - is it harder to have good comedic timing, or is it harder to convey heartbreak? They aren't really comparable.

That said, a player's PvP's skill cap depends on the players he fights, whereas PvE's skill cap depends on the encounters he faces. Any given game is likely to have very skilled PvPers against which to test your skill, but whether a PvE game is hard depends entirely on developers.

PvP isn't scripted and is always changing so it's harder, however, this game doesn't have anything in place to bring out real competition.

If there was a 8v8 huttball championship ladder bracket you would see just how hard it is to win. I've raided since 1999 and raiding is always easy because its scripted, the only time it was ever challenging and actually the most exciting was pvping 2-3 guilds at the same time while in combat with a raid boss for world bosses. Even then though once you outgeared them the challenge went away. I was in a group that 5 manned a whole raid guild outside of MC because we was in full T3 and they was still wearing T1.

With all that being said even though I can top charts in 99% of warzones, I would never get very far in a ladder bracket where the competition is good.

I always found in online mmos I've played that the PvE raiding is the easiest. As someone said before, it's scripted. There's usually a video up on youtube of how and what the bosses do, so all we have to do is check it out and go down the bosses for raids. Easy loot. In PvP, people do something different every single fight. I can't predict what they do so it's more of a challenging fight.

I can't even believe there is a question about this comparison.

What skill there is in remembering a strict scripted sequence and repeating several actions?

PvP requires much much more in: reaction, coordination, awareness, quick thinking...anything that can be connected with skill.

All PvE requires is you to not be a with IQ less than 90 so you can memorize several actions to repeat at the right moment which is usually hinted by the script.

I am not saying at all ppl who prefer PvE are not smart, absolutely not not not.

They are just the same as ppl who do PvP in the grand scale, just prefer PvE, but fighting a scripted sequence is nowhere near the challenge as an ever-changing and unpredictable human intellect.

For good or bad, PvP design in games often turns it into zerging or gear fest so skill can be very vague point in such situations too, but if there is a place where you need specific personal skills that's PvP.

why do people care so much about this silly "skill" word. most of your "skill" is given to you by the game when you choose your class.

if anything in this game requires you to pay attention it would be pve atm. i just say this because you dont really need to win pvp to win pvp. you get stuff anyways. if we get to a point were winning matters in pvp then it takes more "skill" just for the fact that you are competing against someone else and there will always be people who play there characters better. the "skill" in pvp comes from the team work. in 1v1 situations you will usually win because of your class. it gets more competitive when working with others.

PvP isn't scripted and is always changing so it's harder, however, this game doesn't have anything in place to bring out real competition.

If there was a 8v8 huttball championship ladder bracket you would see just how hard it is to win. I've raided since 1999 and raiding is always easy because its scripted, the only time it was ever challenging and actually the most exciting was pvping 2-3 guilds at the same time while in combat with a raid boss for world bosses. Even then though once you outgeared them the challenge went away. I was in a group that 5 manned a whole raid guild outside of MC because we was in full T3 and they was still wearing T1.

With all that being said even though I can top charts in 99% of warzones, I would never get very far in a ladder bracket where the competition is good.

If you can upload a video of you killing Lich King Hardmode, Ragnaros Hardmode or Sinestra Hardmode at a relevant time you can say raiding is easy.

PvP has a higher skill cap, but a lower entrance level (since the majority of people aren't going to be very good). PvE has a higher entrance level but definately a *potentially* lower skill cap.

Neither.

They require mostly different skillsets, and in truth, different viewpoints. That's not to say that one cannot excel at PvP and PvE, but instead that the best PvP people will never be as good at PvE as the best PvE people and vice versa.

PvP is about movement, about tiny increases in improvement, about awareness and most importantly about coordination. A premade, coordinating over vent, where each member knows what everyone else can do, will decimate a pack of pugging scrubs 100% of the time. Regardless of gear. Regardless of ePeen.

PvE is about planning and research, about discrete understanding, about number crunching and defining. If PvP is football then PvE is ballet. It is gear instead of reflexes, it's RTS to FPS, it's about how and when to do something instead of sheer mindless programmed reaction and inventiveness.

Amusingly enough to me, PvP requires we each make ourselves more chaotic, and PvE requires us to make ourselves more robotic and never deviating from the script. Much like the gameplay itself, a pure raid IS a story, and we're simply striving to fill our parts.

If you and your enemies have equal gear and neither of you are stupid then PVP is harder. You never know what's gona happen in PVP, matches never happen the same way.

In PVE, you go do a heroic mission...come back and do it again and pretty much nothing will change, and you will know exactly how to do it and it will be the same.

Pve raiding can be a challenge up until you know the script and have everyone in the minimum amount of required gear to defeat a mob after that it is just killing that mob faster. With pvp things change, you could have your target almost out of health and all of a sudden someone else comes to their aid, sometimes even more.

Now maybe if raid mobs didn't need to be so scripted or have visual or audio indicators to indicate that something is about to happen and it was more random instead of on a timer then pve raiding might be harder.

I like doing both but surely pvp is more challenging and frustrating because you aren't always faced with the same situations.

Edited by Ojaix