How can you not run SWTOR on max?

wolfsheadbane

Rofl... You don't have to build a PC to have a good gaming computer...... even if you bought say a 500$ computer from walmart that has a quad core processor 8 gigs of ram..... all you have to do is buy a real power supply say a corsair 600 watt. That could handle a 560ti graphics card you would have a pretty decent system.....

500 for the PC.. then about 80 bucks for the PSU (I would never buy a cheap PSU)

and about 300 bucks for the 560 TI...

All before taxes..

You are around 1000 bucks now..

for that amount you could build a MUCH stronger system

• Replies 258
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

RE my last post, its incredibly hard to get a job in this economy. Besides I'm a student and I need to pay for rent, food and other things and even then I can't afford it.

Then why are you paying $50+ to buy the game and $15/month to play it? Save the money and use it on rent, food and the other things.

I just can't comprehend how in this day and age where i could buy a laptop for like 200-300 that could run the game on max settings that people still have computer from 1990 that get low fps still on low settings? i know everyone doesn't have money but somewhere within the 20 year span of having your computer surely saving 1 dollar a day could afford enough for a computer not still on DOS

Edit: Some one of you people don't seem to get what i am trying to say , i am talking about people who seemingly must have 10+ year old computers because because even computers 3-4 years old could run this game fine and ram is so extremely cheap nowdays my friend bought 16 gig of ram for 120 dollars , so buying 2-3 more gig isn't going to make you starve if you have the 59.99$ to buy this game and then 15$ sub i dont see how you don't seem to have the money to upgrade your computer out of the stone age

My computer isn't exactly stone age.. maybe early iron age. I upgrade it as I can, when I can. But I also have a Mortgage, Car payment, Homeowners, Car and Health insurance, Water, Electric and Gas, not to mention paying $4.50 a gallon for gas for the car each week ($35.00 to fill it up x 4 = $140.00 a month average), I have Cable, Internet and phone bills, food etc, all of which comes to more than $5500.00 a month. I also have a savings account that I put money back for a rainy day emergency as I am also a prudent person that believes firmly that the Gods play dice with mankind and we never know when we are going to get a snake eyes roll.

So with all my bills, and being in a single earner home, upgrading my computer when it works and accomplishes what I need it to do, is often last on the list of my priorities. I do upgrade when I can though but expenses and prudence come first.

~Saitada

i can totally see how it can become a bit heavy at some times. to be honest, with a quadcore at 3.7ghz and a gtx580 and i still get fps dips to 30's without AA. so yeah. the game is much more needy than i imagined.

^This. That graphics card is well over $300 alone. No laptop in that range with a crappy M series graphics card is going to play swtor on max well.

Also, the idea of max is flawed anyway. Sure on a low resolution old monitor a crappy computer might perform great. The average person with even an older computer has a decent monitor and will be running at a resolution that will bring out the crappiness in their computer.

Same reason why people buy crap cars that lose almost all their value in 2 years.

Indeed. Which is why I'd rather wait till I have the money to buy it for what it's worth, then save that money, make decent payments to build my credit on the car until it is payed off by that 2 year mark or earlier. If anything happens I'll have saved money within that two year span to tackle any unforseen issues like a car accident or just get new tires. Oh wait then it's worth less than I paid for anyway by then xD

I guess that's the way it goes with cars.

Anyway.........I bought a HP Tower for around 500 bucks and its above recommended settings. The graphics card I bought for it is above par, but I've had some recent issues with my monitor it would change colors and flash. Not sure if this was SWTOR related, but it's been an issue since the last beta.

oh my god this made me LOL hard!

also for all of you people saying blahblah bigger priorities blahblah i am 20 have 2 children don't work neither does my partner live at home with my parents and still managed to buy a machine that cost 2500$ if you are the age of 13-16 then i understand but even then i don't see why your parents woudn't get you a machine that wasn't from 1720 for christmas or something

Wow... these people make trolling WAY too easy.

Let me get this straight. You live at your parent's home, with your partner and children (at your parent's expense, I must assume), and yet you spend your dollars (2500 of them) on a gaming rig.

Your dumb *** deserves to be living in a box under the freeway until you learn a few life lessons. FFS.

All my pcs since around 2000 I either build myself or had specially built. Except for my last one that is 2 or 3 years old now. I bought a Gateway FX series and it has been very good to me. I did have to replace my power supply and when I did that i swapped out the gtx260 for a gtx580 and it will be good for a few more years. I think I spent maybe 1200 on it. I added a $500 gpu but that isn't bad considering the extra life it adds.

Gaming capable machines have gotten much cheaper though. I would regularly spend 2k on machines. You could play this game and most others very well for under a grand.

My computer isn't exactly stone age.. maybe early iron age. I upgrade it as I can, when I can. But I also have a Mortgage, Car payment, Homeowners, Car and Health insurance, Water, Electric and Gas, not to mention paying $4.50 a gallon for gas for the car each week ($35.00 to fill it up x 4 = $140.00 a month average), I have Cable, Internet and phone bills, food etc, all of which comes to more than $5500.00 a month. I also have a savings account that I put money back for a rainy day emergency as I am also a prudent person that believes firmly that the Gods play dice with mankind and we never know when we are going to get a snake eyes roll.

So with all my bills, and being in a single earner home, upgrading my computer when it works and accomplishes what I need it to do, is often last on the list of my priorities. I do upgrade when I can though but expenses and prudence come first.

~Saitada

I'm in that same boat. Have fun in game!

Then why are you paying $50+ to buy the game and $15/month to play it? Save the money and use it on rent, food and the other things.

Because I am getting it for Christmas.

Also, if I don't buy this, I better not pay for my tv license, I best not buy books to read, I best simply pay for whatever will keep me simply alive and anything else is pointless. Everyone needs some way to relax and have fun, whether you can afford it or not.

Has anyone since the beginning of this thread even complained they could not max the game? My girlfriend's computer can't run it well. She expects that and doesn't complain.

Everyone is responding as if people are complaining about not being able to max the game out on their low end machine. I don't think anyone is.

Does it bother you somehow that people can't max the game out? If they are content with however its performing for them, then why do you care?

Wow... these people make trolling WAY too easy.

Let me get this straight. You live at your parent's home, with your partner and children (at your parent's expense, I must assume), and yet you spend your dollars (2500 of them) on a gaming rig.

Your dumb *** deserves to be living in a box under the freeway until you learn a few life lessons. FFS.

I agree Moiras,

I was going to add to that but you nailed it.

The lack of intelligence makes me laugh. It's just like the book smart vs street smart deal. Some of you have no clue how MMO's actually work.

I hate to burst your nerdrage bubble, but video cards and mother boards aren't the only reason lower graphics are better for the MMO as a whole. The key factor is network latency. When you play a FPS the software knows exactly what textures are going to be needed. So it gathers them and has them ready to be applied. In an MMO the software doesn't know what armor, weapons, and other visual variables the other characters might be wearing. Therefore an MMO goes back and forth between the harddrive and video card pretty much "on demand." A new person zones in and the harddrive has to fetch the texture files. The bigger the texture the longer it takes to load. The longer the textures take the more lag you see on the screen. No one likes lag so the easiest way to combat that is to lower the polygons and textures sizes.

So yeah, a faster PC will be able to gather, draw, and skin the graphics faster but the monkey wrench is the network, the other lag. You can have the fastest PC in the world but if the network connection is slow that super fast hard drive and ultra powerful video card won't be told what it needs to do. Without knowing what needs to be drawn, it can't.

So its a two way street. Don't just blame people's outdated PC's, blame their slow internet too. And if you are in America like me, our average connection speed is much lower than the rest of the world. We're like 27th fastest.. So blame Verizon, Comcast, Time Warner, Cox, ect for wanting to milk you for every penny and not keep up with the rest of the internet.

There are so many more variables in an MMO that a developer picking "middle of the road" graphics is the best business practice they could choose.

Thats not a very good arguement since pretty much everyone buys a new computer every few years.

Instead of going to best buy or walmart to buy a system you should invest the extra $200 and get a real gaming cpu build

My athlon 64 x2 build from like 5 years ago runs swtor and every other game on the market fine.

Really pretty much everyone buys a new computer every few years? Really? Everyone?.........And you say mine is not a very good arguement.........................

Edited by Bladedakoda

oh my god this made me LOL hard!

also for all of you people saying blahblah bigger priorities blahblah i am 20 have 2 children don't work neither does my partner live at home with my parents and still managed to buy a machine that cost 2500$ if you are the age of 13-16 then i understand but even then i don't see why your parents woudn't get you a machine that wasn't from 1720 for christmas or something

seriously your 20 years old with an old lady and 2 kids still living with mommy and daddy and i'm sure getting that welfare check at on the first every month and your bragging that you spent my tax dollars on a $2500 machine you sir need to get a job i understand people fall on hard times but this total bs :mad:

I'll just add this, When EQ2 launched they did it with really high end graphics for its time knowing that the graphics would hold up as people upgraded, so as people upgraded the world got prettier. The graphics were already in place. Not the other way around.