The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

Red Sabers.....

Spymaster

From Wookiepedia:

For millennia, the Jedi Order lit lightsabers in every color and hue imaginable. However, following the Battle of Ruusan, the hues of most available crystals had been limited to either blue or green.

For those unfamiliar, the Battle of Ruusan occurred 1000 years prior to the Battle of Yavin, so 2000 years after what we are talking about here.... So Jedi use lightsabers of every color and hue imaginable, including red.

• Replies 911
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you really dont like it so much, maybe you should go to a RP server. I haven't played on one before but to my understanding you probably wont see all the Jedi running around with red lightsabers.

Also... i hardly see any jedi with red lightsabers on my server, and from what i can tell, the same goes for several of the posters in this thread. Have you considered looking at any other servers? Maybe there is a jedi only guild who expect all of their members to have red colour crystals on your server... xD It's possible!

Not to mention that character customisation has been talked up as a pretty big part of this game, to remove red colour crystals from all jedi characters would damage the persons ability to customise their appearance. And yes, you find it annoying when the whole server selects that same colour, but think about the individuals selecting the colour. It's what they want their individual character to look like, they aren't thinking about all the other Jedi that are picking their colour crystals.

That... or you missed the 'server wide' meeting where the rule was passed making red the only alowable colour for Jedi...

It is, in accordance to him everything else is pretty much fan fiction.

There is nothing stopping somebody for making a decent Star Wars novel and get approved.

Everything that's not the movies is just made up from people like you and I (Not George Lucas)

be it a writer, game developer, or like you put it, goofy mmo players

Add yet none of this has any relation to my issue with the red sabers, which is that not only do they not fit the movies, but they don't fit ANY other time period in Star Wars EVER.

Actually I hadn't seen pink before so It's hard for something I don't see in game to bother me. Red I see constantly.

With that said... pink is utterly stupid.

Wow you're cool.

Apparantly the number of people who actually care if this game fits the setting are very few. Does that mean I get to play as a gnome then?

It fits the setting, I use the lightsaber i stole from the first sith i killed against the empire. you see, using their very own weapons against them, makes me feel cool, as i dont have any cool looking robes. I wouldn't mind playing a jawa, they are close to gnomes and hard to click on. :p

seriously, I do think there is too many jedis with red sabers (heck i even have one that has a red saber ... out of 4) but this is what happens when you let players that kind of freedom. Is it a bad thing? I won't even go there. All I can say, is that either the ability to scan people's alignment with the force is bugged or 9/10 republic players are darkside (haven't detected a lightside since lvl 10 or so, and i scan alot on my blind jedi).

You could make the argument that this time is full of lightsaber users, Jedi/Sith or other.

These crystals are supposed to be rare, they are hard to find.

In a time of war, there is no time of having the luxury of finding the right color for you, they need a lightsaber to fight as soon as possible.

From Wookiepedia:

For millennia, the Jedi Order lit lightsabers in every color and hue imaginable. However, following the Battle of Ruusan, the hues of most available crystals had been limited to either blue or green.

For those unfamiliar, the Battle of Ruusan occurred 1000 years prior to the Battle of Yavin, so 2000 years after what we are talking about here.... So Jedi use lightsabers of every color and hue imaginable, including red.

I know all that already thanks. Now find me a time in which the majority of Jedi use red. It doesn't exist, ever (except in this game).

I still don't get why people keep pretending this fits the lore. It fits the lore for a one or two Jedi to MAYBE have red or some other colors. It does NOT fit the lore for thousands of Jedi to have red.

Also, having a red saber as a Jedi shouldn't be looked down upon. Cliche or not, it should be respected (assuming the Jedi is aligned with the light side).

Jedi are supposed to symbolize the light side of the force. Ignoring your dark side is a show of fear. The only way to truly embrace the light side of the force is to accept yourself as you are; the good and the bad.

Having a red saber symbolizes that.

Edited by Soul_of_Flames

You could make the argument that this time is full of lightsaber users, Jedi/Sith or other.

These crystals are supposed to be rare, they are hard to find.

In a time of war, there is no time of having the luxury of finding the right color for you, they need a lightsaber to fight as soon as possible.

Then I should be rich, i have enough of those crystals to equip an army of jedis, in my ship cargo!

Add yet none of this has any relation to my issue with the red sabers, which is that not only do they not fit the movies, but they don't fit ANY other time period in Star Wars EVER.

Exactly, so pretty much nothing in this game fits the Star Wars period.

But only the Red sabers issue is bothering you?

If you really dont like it so much, maybe you should go to a RP server. I haven't played on one before but to my understanding you probably wont see all the Jedi running around with red lightsabers

This is likely the best advice in this thread. Thanks. It's sad because I picked a PvP server, since I enjoy PvP... but there are lots of things that bug me there beside the huge number of red sabers... like the really stupid guild names I see everyday.

I guess PvP /= cares about Star Wars, huh?

And yes, you find it annoying when the whole server selects that same colour, but think about the individuals selecting the colour. It's what they want their individual character to look like, they aren't thinking about all the other Jedi that are picking their colour crystals.

I get that, sure, but individuals who don't care about the back ground universe, shouldn't really be catered to in my opinion.

That... or you missed the 'server wide' meeting where the rule was passed making red the only alowable colour for Jedi.

Maybe so. :D

Edited by Spymaster

Exactly, so pretty much nothing in this game fits the Star Wars period

What? WRONG. Again lots of stuff fits the Star Wars lore that isn't in the movies. The thing here is that this many red sabers doens't fit ANY lore. Movie or not. That's what makes it bad.

But only the Red sabers issue is bothering you

Ummm I answered this already. Maybe read it again??

Also, having a red saber as a Jedi shouldn't be looked down upon. Cliche or not, it should be respected (assuming the Jedi is aligned with the light side).

Jedi are supposed to symbolize the light side of the force. Ignoring your dark side is a show of fear. The only way to truly embrace the light side of the force is to accept yourself as you are; the good and the bad.

Having a red saber symbolizes that.

Now explain all that to the Jedi from every other time period in Star Wars history.

I know all that already thanks. Now find me a time in which the majority of Jedi use red. It doesn't exist, ever (except in this game).

I still don't get why people keep pretending this fits the lore. It fits the lore for a one or two Jedi to MAYBE have red or some other colors. It does NOT fit the lore for thousands of Jedi to have red.

Dude, "thousands of jedi" pretty much fit no time in the Star Wars galaxy either.... Jedi are rare, a few hundred are all that typically exist at best... And the numbers of thes Jedi should never be balanced against the number of Troopers, especially when there are less troopers (as there are two Jedi classes) It is a game, get over it.

I get that, sure, but individuals who don't care about the back group universe, shouldn't really be catered to in my opinion.

The people are on the PvP server because they dont want to worry about whether or not their actions are tied in with the Star Wars lore, if they did they'd probably be on a RP server.

I don't understand (with todays technology) why my client (on my PC) can't show my lightsaber (or blaster bolts) any color I want, while everyone else's client show's colors as what you would expect (i.e. jedi with blue or sith with red).

That way everyone would be happy! Everyone could have pink or mauve lightsabers while everyone else would see the standard color.

That way you wouldn't have people crying because their client would only see the standard colors regardless of what any one's individual client is showing its own individual user.

Now explain all that to the Jedi from every other time period in Star Wars history.

I don't have to. They lived their lives how they saw fit. The same as every one else is. Why should the players in this game not be allowed to do the same thing? Why should the players be held against standards that aren't even standards?

Previous Jedi used specific saber colors not because it was expected of them but because it symbolized them. There isn't a color code here and nobody has to standardize themselves. Get over it.

There's no limitations on what colors Jedi use. Mace, the bad mother****er, Windu, had a purple lightsaber, which means walking the line between Light and Dark (according to lore).

My Sith Juggernaut has a blue lightsaber, and my Sentinel has blue lightsabers, but prefers yellow, because yellow symbolizes the Sentinel (again, according to lore).

It all comes down to preference. And I prefer to not be a dick about the colors people like.

If by lore, you mean Samuel Jackson asked George Lucas if his saber can be purple because its his favorite color and he wanted purple to make his character stand out................................... then yes, its purple because of lore.

if you think pink is stupid, wait till you see the white lightsabers :)

Is it invisible? that would be cool...

*Points " Ha! your Lightsaber doesn't work"

Swoosh

"AHHHH! My arm!"*

hehehe :D i want one

Edited by Ithilwen

If by lore, you mean Samuel Jackson asked George Lucas if his saber can be purple because its his favorite color and he wanted purple to make his character stand out................................... then yes, its purple because of lore.

Just imagine if his favorite color was periwinkle!

Dude, "thousands of jedi" pretty much fit no time in the Star Wars galaxy either.... Jedi are rare, a few hundred are all that typically exist at best....

I don't see thousands of Jedi on my screen though. I see a few hundred maybe. They all have red sabers though and that's the issue.

And the numbers of thes Jedi should never be balanced against the number of Troopers,

This is a really bad argument. There are billions of troopers in the galaxy as we play. You don't have to balance out the number of people playing AS troopers and Jedi to make that clear. Do you think every smuggler in the the galaxy is controlled by a player too?

It is a game, get over it

No. It's annoying, and doesn't fit the lore. That's my opinion. Maybe YOU need to get over that?

For real, the argument that "it's a game" is at least better than this nonsense where people try to pretend somethig fits the lore when it does not. At least be honest and admit they've broken the lore to make some extra money. Don't feed my these lies about how it makes sense for hundreds of Jedi to have Red sabers.

I don't see thousands of Jedi on my screen though. I see a few hundred maybe. They all have red sabers though and that's the issue.

This is a really bad argument. There are billions of troopers in the galaxy as we play. You don't have to balance out the number of people playing AS troopers and Jedi to make that clear. Do you think every smuggler in the the galaxy is controlled by a player too?

No. It's annoying, and doesn't fit the lore. That's my opinion. Maybe YOU need to get over that?

For real, the argument that "it's a game" is at least better than this nonsense where people try to pretend somethig fits the lore when it does not. At least be honest and admit they've broken the lore to make some extra money. Don't feed my these lies about how it makes sense for hundreds of Jedi to have Red sabers.

Can you please explain the lore about troopers/smugglers/agents, etc. using color crystals in their blasters/rifles/cannons?