Quarterly Producer Letter for Q2 2024 ×

Stop the ball from being thrown from the pit to the goal line in Huttball!

Miffy

OR, according to the very same explanation you just gave to counter the strategy YOU are defending.....all you need is some team support to clear the catwalk before you try to cross. The enemies aren't going to want to waste their knockback clearing enemies that aren't the ball carrier, and if they do.....well you're free to get across.

Fair enough. I would rather play a passing game instead of 'Which team has more knockbacks'

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

When I see a guy drop down into the pit, I (and hopefully any other player who's done this map over a hundred times) think: That guy is going to attempt to pass to a buddy of his. I better knock the receiver off the catwalks or kill the carrier in a stunlock right now.

So if you're well experienced on this map and you still have trouble... it's not the game's fault.

When I see a guy drop down into the pit, I (and hopefully any other player who's done this map over a hundred times) think: That guy is going to attempt to pass to a buddy of his. I better knock the receiver off the catwalks or kill the carrier in a stunlock right now.

So if you're well experienced on this map and you still have trouble... it's not the game's fault.

How would you know where to knock them back and to be in the correct position if the receiver is stealthed until right before the ball carrier passes? That's the issue with the strategy most people seem to be having. There's just not much you can do to counter it without clairvoyance to know where the stealther is.

Maybe a good fix would be if you're on the catwalks directly next to the goal line or in the end zone area past them, your stealth is rendered useless. You shouldn't be able to just sit there in stealth conveniently waiting for the ball.

How would you know where to knock them back and to be in the correct position if the receiver is stealthed until right before the ball carrier passes? That's the issue with the strategy most people seem to be having. There's just not much you can do to counter it without clairvoyance to know where the stealther is.

Maybe a good fix would be if you're on the catwalks directly next to the goal line or in the end zone area past them, your stealth is rendered useless. You shouldn't be able to just sit there in stealth conveniently waiting for the ball.

Maybe this is a pre 50 thing, but at 50 I can always see the stealth people when they get near me. Don't most classes have some sort of stealth detection?

Classes with knockbacks and such are already OP, you don't want to REQUIRE the ballcarrier to walk the catwalk, do you?

You probably do as you must be a Sorc or something

knockbacks move enemy players, not the ball carrier. If it is better now than why does the ball carrier get the speed debuff? they intended huttball to be about skill and strategy. The way it stands now all you need are warriors. No passing required, just jump to an enemy then to a teammate. Same guy the whole way. It should require better strategy than that to score.

Maybe this is a pre 50 thing, but at 50 I can always see the stealth people when they get near me. Don't most classes have some sort of stealth detection?

They don't have to be near you to be in position/near position. You can't spend time scouring your endzone for a stealther that may or may not even be there everytime you spawn. There's plenty of places to hide, and only Commando/Mercenary get any kind of stealth scan (other than spamming AoE's all over your end zone every time you spawn).

I'm a Jugg. I regularly defend against this.

There's only a limited range which the ball carrier can throw to. Stand far enough back from the edge to not be charged and just follow the ball carrier left/right. As soon as the person unstealths, Force Charge (which roots them), then Force Push them off your endzone and straight back into the pit.

You've plenty of time to do it, in fact a couple of times I've been quick enough to actually get the Force Push off before the ball even lands, hence it drops directly to me.

Edited by Khabarach

one of my favortie tactics is to wait in stealth for the guy in the pit to pass and at that second pop stealth and knock the receiver off the edge while pass is in air and intercept the ball. The qq and rofl whispers alone make this tactic golden. Great for griefing premades and pugs alike.

I'm a Jugg. I regularly defend against this.

There's only a limited range which the ball carrier can throw to. Stand far enough back from the edge to not be charged and just follow the ball carrier left/right. As soon as the person unstealths, Force Charge (which roots them), then Force Push them off your endzone and straight back in the pit.

You've plenty of time to do it, in fact a couple of times I've been quick enough to actually get the Force Push off before the ball even lands, hence it drops directly to me.

You know....I'd like to believe you regularly defend against this.

Except you would realize you can intercept the ball with just force leap, you don't have to force push them out of the way to intercept it.

If they don't hit cancel stealth until the ball is in the air you can't get up there before it reaches them anyway. And once they have the ball, they pop their immunity and you can't stop them from scoring anyway (so the idea you force leap up and then force push them back into the pit with the ball is wrong).

You're assuming they are bad so that you can stop them. I'm assuming they are intelligent, as I'm looking at this in the light of rated warzones.

Stop chasing tank carriers into the pit???

Anyway, preventing passes wont stop this, it'll just mean a Jug/Guard will always be the one to get the ball since they can just Intercede to someone on the ledge. And any class can be pulled up by a Sorc/Con.

Problem is that if you go looking for stealthers, now you're the one in the endzone for force charge.

You know....I'd like to believe you regularly defend against this.

Except you would realize you can intercept the ball with just force leap, you don't have to force push them out of the way to intercept it.

If they don't hit cancel stealth until the ball is in the air you can't get up there before it reaches them anyway. And once they have the ball, they pop their immunity and you can't stop them from scoring anyway (so the idea you force leap up and then force push them back into the pit with the ball is wrong).

You're assuming they are bad so that you can stop them. I'm assuming they are intelligent, as I'm looking at this in the light of rated warzones.

I am starting to wonder who is more upset over this, you or the OP. It isn't hard to find the stealth player. You see the ball carrier running one way, and you head to that spot and AoE or anything.

Going down to the pit should be a punishment and yet the easiest, hardest to stop and a tactic that feels like a cheat is dropping down into the pit and throwing at a stealther on the goal line, who obviously has just come out of stealth.

Football has the off side rule to stop this from happening and Huttball just needs to stop passing from the pit to the goal line.

Would you like for BW to just hand you some free Commendations too? How about spoon feeding you while they're at it?

Their team was better than your team, deal with it. If your team was organized, they'd have done the exact same thing. Move along.

"Going down to the pit.."

Yea, because people go down there by their own, its not like one of the million knockbacks sort that out.

I do that as a tactic and also from the healing buff corners, maybe 1 day ppl like the op will really enjoy this map.

so we can require people to go up on the ramp to be knocked down, or pulled downed by the classes that have those abilities? seems like a smart choice.

better yet why dont we just excluded classes that don't thrive on the scaffolding because they have no knockback, no immunity shield, not sprint, or no pull.

Edited by goulet

You can do this but you'll always have one enemy on the catwalk no matter how many people you try to pull into the pit. More often than not they'll get friendly pulled or force jump out and it just makes it so easy to score from the pit when it is meant to be a punishment for falling off. The catwalk should be how you score, the pit shouldn't..

Going down to the pit should be a punishment and yet the easiest, hardest to stop and a tactic that feels like a cheat is dropping down into the pit and throwing at a stealther on the goal line, who obviously has just come out of stealth.

Football has the off side rule to stop this from happening and Huttball just needs to stop passing from the pit to the goal line.

Are you Miffy from Kai Khan!?!?!!?!

You can do this but you'll always have one enemy on the catwalk no matter how many people you try to pull into the pit. More often than not they'll get friendly pulled or force jump out and it just makes it so easy to score from the pit when it is meant to be a punishment for falling off. The catwalk should be how you score, the pit shouldn't..

I am sorry but can you show me where exactly it says 'The ball must be scored from the catwalk'? I would think that if the pit was supposed to be punishment there would be a hazard in it. Now if only they had some sort of acid or fire that they could implement to make it a hazard. . .

No hazard, no punishment, no problem.

I struggle with being able to pull back into pit before crossing for a score. My problem is LOS issues and mechanics. I have been pulled multiple times when they cant even see me. That is a problem. ie...they have targeted me, run to get close up to wall, out of LOS, and can still pull.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.