Guild Bank and Shiny UI Features Should NOT be on Your Priority List

siegedeluxe

You should be focusing on getting High-rest textures in the game again, like they where in the beta. You should also be focusing on fisting your Hero Engine, so that people don't have suffer like an old dog when PvPing. Warzones, especially Illum, is a long and painful slideshow.

Otherwise, this will just be another Warhammer Online. I hope you're not force choking some of your Mythinc employees. I'm sure they can fill you in on the details what happens when you leave the game bug ridden, with massive performance issues.

Edit: Build a strong foundation. What you're doing now is just adding new fluff on something that is about to fall apart.

Edited by siegedeluxe

You should be focusing on getting High-rest textures in the game again, like they where in the beta. You should also be focusing on fisting your Hero Engine, so that people don't have suffer like an old dog when PvPing. Warzones, especially Illum, is a long and painful slideshow.

Otherwise, this will just be another Warhammer Online. I hope you're not force choking some of your Mythinc employees. I'm sure they can fill you in on the details what happens when you leave the game bug ridden / slow.

...err, UI is vastly more important then high res textures.

I don't see how you would think guild banks or UI scaling were priorities. They may be in the works but they aren't being focused on.

I hope for their sake that it is not. I find it funny that they would even make a video about it, when it is NOT what most people want. I want to know when they are going to reduce the horrific lag we experience In warzones and on Illum.

Edited by siegedeluxe

I hope for their sake that it is not. I find it funny that they would even make a video about it, when it is NOT what most people want. I want to know when they are going to reduce the horrific lag we experience In warzones and on Illum.

Oh? You know what most people want I assume? Perhaps you've were nominated as spokesperson for the TOR playerbase?

did you just tell them to fist their hero engine

I think he did.

@theOP

Guild banks and ESPECIALLY UI customisation are a far higher priority for me, and many many players, than a slight improvement in the textures that a lot of people won't even be able to use on their computers without crippling their framerates. UI customisation is probably the number 1 thing for me in this game that needs to be added (although I would much prefer it in the form of an addon API than Bioware's own take on what we need).

They're not making this game for you alone.

They're also no working on only one thing at a time.

They also don't have a single team that works on each issue before moving on to the next. They have multiple teams working on parrallel. The people that work on UI customisation are NOT the same people that work on engine optimisation.

Guild banks and ESPECIALLY UI customization are a far higher priority for me, and many many players, than a slight improvement in the textures that a lot of people won't even be able to use on their computers without crippling their framerates. UI customization is probably the number 1 thing for me in this game that needs to be added (although I would much prefer it in the form of an addon API than Bioware's own take on what we need).

They also don't have a single team that works on each issue before moving on to the next. They have multiple teams working on parallel. The people that work on UI customization are NOT the same people that work on engine optimization.

Fixed spelling mistakes, but yea. Basically this.

That video was to show what will be added later, not what is already in the game but needs some fixes(high-res textures, performance issues).

If you would even bother to READ the updates the Devs post for you, you would understand that the Response Time saga is a very HIGH priority. It got another response, with 3 issues found, and all 3 issues are being worked on, two of which are going into the current test realms.

Also, customizing UI is pretty high on many players lists. Not to mention we have no idea if these minor updates weren't planned for original launch but didn't make it in due to needing fine tuning. Quit thinking they are spending ALL their resources on these updates, different teams work on different stuff. I certainly wouldn't want 500 people working/breaking 1 aspect of the game when 20-30 could go a better job.

Fixed spelling mistakes, but yea. Basically this.

Spelling mistake.

Singular. :p

(Parallel, in case you are wondering - which was a typo rather than a spelling mistake. British English is not a spelling mistake)

Edited by Keldain

I think he did.

@theOP

Guild banks and ESPECIALLY UI customisation are a far higher priority for me, and many many players, than a slight improvement in the textures that a lot of people won't even be able to use on their computers without crippling their framerates. UI customisation is probably the number 1 thing for me in this game that needs to be added (although I would much prefer it in the form of an addon API than Bioware's own take on what we need).

They also don't have a single team that works on each issue before moving on to the next. They have multiple teams working on parrallel. The people that work on UI customisation are NOT the same people that work on engine optimisation.

The problem is (What I believe, anyways), is that their engine was so poorly optimized; that they had to remove high-res textures from the game to avoid complains about even more performance issues.

It shames me that the game can run this poorly with the blurred, pixelated textures that are present in the game now.

I find it even more questionable when their new patch, specifically 1.1, introduced more issues then their previous patch. My FPS droped even more with this one. Again, they need to get their priorities in shape if they haven't already.

Edited by siegedeluxe

If you would even bother to READ the updates the Devs post for you, you would understand that the Response Time saga is a very HIGH priority. It got another response, with 3 issues found, and all 3 issues are being worked on, two of which are going into the current test realms.

Also, customizing UI is pretty high on many players lists. Not to mention we have no idea if these minor updates weren't planned for original launch but didn't make it in due to needing fine tuning. Quit thinking they are spending ALL their resources on these updates, different teams work on different stuff. I certainly wouldn't want 500 people working/breaking 1 aspect of the game when 20-30 could go a better job.

I know response time is on their list. But I have not heard a thing about general improvement in performance. Do you seriously care more about UI changes or an increase in FPS?

Since we're giving our OPINIONS on what needs to be done in what order:

1. End Game bug fixes.

2. Guild UI stuff (I want to be able to right click on people in my guild window and invite/whisper them)

3. Personal UI issues, such as being able to move stuff around and resize them.

4. Most crew skills being pretty much useless at max level.

5. Horrible GTN interface.

I could go on, but graphics are WAY down there. The graphics are pretty good, its all the other crap that's pissing me off.

Yes, what's a broken UI compared to slightly better textures. We all know that MMOs live and die by their graphics, while minor things like the UI and guild functions are barely noticed by the player base.

If in doubt, look at the super-popular WoW, voted 'number 1 graphics benchmark game of the year' every year since it came out. But do they have a working UI? Who knows, who would notice?

Yes, what's a broken UI compared to slightly better textures. We all know that MMOs live and die by their graphics, while minor things like the UI and guild functions are barely noticed by the player base.

If in doubt, look at the super-popular WoW, voted 'number 1 graphics benchmark game of the year' every year since it came out. But do they have a working UI? Who knows, who would notice?

One word: Addons. OH SNAP BIOWARE!

Edited by siegedeluxe

The problem is (What I believe, anyways), is that their engine was so poorly optimized; that they had to remove high-res textures from the game to avoid complains about even more performance issues.

It shames me that the game can run this poorly with the blurred, pixelated textures that are present in the game now.

I find it even more questionable when their new patch, specifically 1.1, introduced more issues then their previous patch. My FPS droped even more with this one. Again, they need to get their priorities in shape if they haven't already.

Again, since you seem to be having some comprehension problems with this.

The people who fix the engine and the people who make the UI customisable....ARE NOT THE SAME PEOPLE..

They can fix the engine and make the UI customisable AT THE SAME TIME.

The video in question did not say they weren't fixing bugs - it wasn't that kind of video. It was a video about new features they were adding.

They can't just take everyone off of everything else to fix the things you want them to fix. For a start, the new people would take weeks just to get their head round the new codebase they were working on. Secondly they wouldn't actuallly help since having more people working on the same peice of code doesn't actually fix it faster after a certain number, it just makes people more likely to step on each others toes. Thirdly, the kind of person that is good at UI design is not likely to have the same skill set as someone working at a low level on a game engine to optimise it.

So what you are basically asking for is to have teams of devs to sit twiddling their thumbs, doing nothing at all waiting for the engine coders to fix their problems and then starting on their projects. Fixing core engine problems is a huge undertaking that may take many months to solve...there's no reason for the other teams at Bioware not to be working on other projects while those guys do that.

I know response time is on their list. But I have not heard a thing about general improvement in performance. Do you seriously care more about UI changes or an increase in FPS?

Yes. Much, much, much more. Almost infinite amounts more. As long as I can have a settings slider which has a position which allows me to play at ~30fps or more on average (and in SWTOR I'm getting around 70FPS most days) then I'm happy. This is not a FPS shooter or action game.

However, the lack of UI customisation is KILLING me in this game. And, TBH, I am not confident that what we saw in that video will satisfy me. I want them to develop an addon API so I can have proper modding of my UI - not just scaling and moving bits about.

Edited by Keldain

Again, since you seem to be having some comprehension problems with this.

The people who fix the engine and the people who make the UI customisable....ARE NOT THE SAME PEOPLE..

They can fix the engine and make the UI customisable AT THE SAME TIME.

The video in question did not say they weren't fixing bugs - it wasn't that kind of video. It was a video about new features they were adding.

They can't just take everyone off of everything else to fix the things you want them to fix. For a start, the new people would take weeks just to get their head round the new codebase they were working on. Secondly they wouldn't actuallly help since having more people working on the same peice of code doesn't actually fix it faster after a certain number, it just makes people more likely to step on each others toes. Thirdly, the kind of person that is good at UI design is not likely to have the same skill set as someone working at a low level on a game engine to optimise it.

So what you are basically asking for is to have teams of devs to sit twiddling their thumbs, doing nothing at all waiting for the engine coders to fix their problems and then starting on their projects. Fixing core engine problems is a huge undertaking that may take many months to solve...there's no reason for the other teams at Bioware not to be working on other projects while those guys do that.

They should hire more engineers instead of wasting resources on pointless UI changes, which, BY THE WAY, should have been added to the game a LONG time ago. Hurr durr on them for not enabling people to make addons and general changes to the UI.

Edited by siegedeluxe

Yes. Much, much, much more. Almost infinite amounts more. As long as I can have a settings slider which has a position which allows me to play at ~30fps or more on average (and in SWTOR I'm getting around 70FPS most days) then I'm happy. This is not a FPS shooter or action game.

However, the lack of UI customisation is KILLING me in this game. And, TBH, I am not confident that what we saw in that video will satisfy me. I want them to develop an addon API so I can have proper modding of my UI - not just scaling and moving bits about.

I agree. I don't see any bright future for this game, in the aspect of an modding community. The ability to make small changes to WoW kept me playing for a long time.