Where are the melee in pvp? Im worried

Wingzeron

Seems to me all the knights were replaced by BHs

I still only see 1-2 Op/scoundrels per game, usually 1 of each. Still see many shadows/assassins though

After Patch 1.1.1 there will be less scoundrels / OP :D

Edited by Haralin

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The reason is simple, you don't see guardians and sentinels in pvp because they are **** boredom to play. I play a guardian. If by any chance I play tank protection spec I am a joke and don't do **** just defend healers. If I choose to go into damage i have 1 viable spec, which uses 2 abilities to do damage, boring as hell. I dunno about sentinel, I just know it is close to guardian from what i read here and from friends of mine. If you go dot spec, in pvp you are trash, you can go into focus which is the same spec as guardian but have much less survivability.

Let's look at the other classes, assassin and operative have stealth, which is already a huge advantage and so cool. Then if ur an assassin you have aoe knockback every 15 seconds, stun, sprint, mez, aoe mez, lighting, and a bunch of other stuff. Operative mostly the same without the knockbacks and lightning, huge damage output when coming out of stealth, self heals, and both have in combat stealth. Both very fun classes to play, especially in pvp.

Let's look at guardian, who does not have it as bad as sentinel. Cool abilities, charge ever 15 secs, 1 aoe mez, 1 channeled stun (can be interrupted), 1 single target knockback every minute. Luckily we have some defensive crap like saber ward every 3 minutes and enure which is like an extra pot every 1,5 minutes. Sentinels really have it bad, no knockback, but have stealth and a defensive cooldown that reduces damage by a ton.

Bottom line is why play sentinel or guardian if there are much funnier classes to play. Meanwhile the funnier classes have better damage output and pvp utility. You can be a shadow and guard and play as tank if you want, plus u have stealth and all that **** to have fun with. Meanwhile if you play as guardian tank, then it's the same boring crap as if u play dps only you don't have the fun stuff.

The best thing about being a melee dps is the Ilum battles.

You stand there...not doing anything while everyone else are casting their range spells.

Only way i can get kills on Ilum is to foce charge into the whole team with all of my shields on, that way i got time to make 1 AoE before i get killed.

Would prolly be easier to pick an enemy that fallen behind from the rest o the team, but the lagg just makes it impossible! -.-

But only melee has the pull enemy skill, which is the best way to actually kill someone when you got 20 guys lined up in a firing squad of doom for anyone foolish enough to cross the line. It doesn't quite make up for charging into your doom 75% of the time, but it's pretty satisfying to grab someone who thought he can hide back there and watch him instantly die to your side's firing squad.

There's too much CC in this game and it's just a nightmare to play as melee.

+1

Sentinel here. Uninstalled the game yesterday after only 2 weeks of playing.

Why am I still here posting you might ask.

I'm venting my frustration.

The main issue isn't that melee is underpowered, increasing damage output of melee classes would make them crazy strong. The issue (esp with sent/mara) is that its almost impossible to get rolling with your skills before you get bursted down because you:

A) stand out more.

B) Have the least armor of the melee classes.

Aaaand the big one...

C) Get CC'd like mad making you completely and utterly worthless.

C is the big one, there are too many immobilization abilities in this game. Not only do melees have to deal with stuns like everyone else, but immobilize is pretty much a stun to a melee, they can't output a single point of damage while immo. I've been talking about this for weeks now, the fix is to make every kind of CC grant some resolve, so melee's can be more effective from chain CCs. Honestly, how can a sent/mara deal with a sniper in cover doing a knockback that roots for 3 seconds after it, and then gets slowed on his way back to them, and can't leap because the sniper is in cover? And this is all built into what? 2 abilities?

This is coming from the perspective of a L.50 V.60 Vanguard, with a 36 Gunslinger and a 30 sentinel.

Edited by TaxmanBob

I think by giving melee more CC immunity is a good start. For example after leaping to a target you are immume for a knockback/stun for in the first 3 seconds, which gives us time enough to atleast set a start of our skills. If the range is good, he knows what to do, so basically its already abit more challanging for the ranged, because they have to think right now and don´t just automatically press knockback.

The key is not to nerf ranged to the ground, but make it only harder to play and make melee abit more CC friendly. Thats all

The main issue isn't that melee is underpowered, increasing damage output of melee classes would make them crazy strong. The issue (esp with sent/mara) is that its almost impossible to get rolling with your skills before you get bursted down because you:

A) stand out more.

B) Have the least armor of the melee classes.

Aaaand the big one...

C) Get CC'd like mad making you completely and utterly worthless.

C is the big one, there are too many immobilization abilities in this game. Not only do melees have to deal with stuns like everyone else, but immobilize is pretty much a stun to a melee, they can't output a single point of damage while immo. I've been talking about this for weeks now, the fix is to make every kind of CC grant some resolve, so melee's can be more effective from chain CCs. Honestly, how can a sent/mara deal with a sniper in cover doing a knockback that roots for 3 seconds after it, and then gets slowed on his way back to them, and can't leap because the sniper is in cover? And this is all built into what? 2 abilities?

This is coming from the perspective of a L.50 V.60 Vanguard, with a 36 Gunslinger and a 30 sentinel.

Actually A is far harder to deal with than C because people are trained to attack the guy that's hitting them with a lightsaber while ignoring the Tracer Missile spam, even if they're a ranged class that is completey capable of shooting back against the missile spammer. CCs can generally be dealt with by being disciplined about when to use your gap closer abilities for most classes, as long as you're not talking about Huttball. If you're talking about Huttball, melee is pretty much doomed fighting ranged on higher elevation. I tend to just deathmatch in the middle or the sides simply because trying to do anything productive near the catwalks just result you being killed by a guy you have no way of reaching in a reasonable time.

The fact that every class has knockbacks or 2-3 forms of cc makes beeing melle a nightmare.

It wouldn't be a nightmare if this game had diminishing returns but resolve is a joke.

Thus beeing melle is painfull.

How to solve this? Give ppl a debuff when they get knockbacked. For 5 seconds you cant be knocked again.

Oh and for the love of God give marauders charge a buff to resist KB for 2 or 3 seconds while your at it.

Make it a talent and be done with it.

Instant KB when you charge is just ridiculous and makes you feel like a ball in a pinball machine.

Edited by SmokingGoose

All they can do is chase you though - they'll never catch you since you can just knock them off.

So would you just like a free kill then? I have plenty of people jumping to me and positioning properly so they fly along paths not off them. Fighting up there is a positioning war. In any other arena my knock back is ****. It's like the people who fight beside fire and ***** when they get knocked in....

Edited by Antiks

I (sorc) run with a juggernaut & mara in wz's and we absolutely rip it up. Next class i roll will be jugg for sure.

The jugg is a beast for carrying the ball, seems like he can jump all around the map and survive for long periods just strolling through groups of enemies. The mara does similar but puts out more dps.

Edited by sw_dragon

Not sure if serious. Guardians are beasts in hutball and strong in the other two warzones. The only downside is that their dps is not very high, at least earlier on. After trying scoundrel/sage/shadow I am roflstomping warzones with guardian.

Guard and taunt are two LOL buttons and the jump ... the range is just funny.

So would you just like a free kill then? I have plenty of people jumping to me and positioning properly so they fly along paths not off them. Fighting up there is a positioning war. In any other arena my knock back is ****. It's like the people who fight beside fire and ***** when they get knocked in....

Sry to say but if you don't knock them off it is your bad and not them beeing good.

Since its your position+there's that determines where you are knocked.

It is impossible to not get knocked if the player has brains and you are standing on those ledges near the line in huttball.

Just run to his side and voila!

Not like those bads that when i charge them they stand still then use knockback.

I guarantee you it is impossible. Only a terrible player will fail to knock a guy off in that area of the WZ.

Edited by SmokingGoose

Sry to say but if you don't knock them off it is your bad and not them beeing good.

Since its your position+there's that determines where you are knocked.

It is impossible to not get knocked if the player has brains and you are standing on those ledges near the line in huttball.

Just run to his side and voila!

Not like those bads that when i charge them they stand still then use knockback.

Except you running around trying to knock them off means you do little damage. Melee on the other hand can run around copying your movements and do full dps. If I get knocked down by someone ... it's either I was cced when I got knocked or I just played badly/didn't pay attention or you had to blow force speed and knockback to get it done.

Either way the opportunity cost of knocking melee down is pretty high.

From a Jugg's perspective:

Immortal, 5 pieces of centurion 9 champion. As tank, I fair pretty well and am extremely useful in huttball. Seeing as how I can take more damage and jump to friendly/enemy players. Also in voidstar and alderaan when everybody is clustered together you can spam your taunt/aoe taunt and rack of tons of protection points which helps your team out.

Huttball is annoying though, you jump to a player on the balcony, he knocks you back, then lights you up as you are trying to escape that area that sucks to get out of when you fall off the balcony in huttball. Be smart, run up to range players and start attacking. You know they are just gonna knock you back once you jump to them so save your jump.

If you are getting lit up/cced by 3+ different ranged players as a tank, then good. Thats what youre suppose to be doing, drawing their attention away from healers and dps people just like in PvE. When it comes to being useful to the team, getting objectives...juggernauts are way valuable.

When it comes to medal farming, you should be able to get 50k protection easy and still get 75k dmg but only games that last longer. I respecced into rage so I can farm medals better and have 5 pieces of vindicator (dps) gear which I got as duplicates so I use those now. So right now I am using 5 pieces of champ gear dps, 4 pieces of champ gear tank, and 5 pieces of centurion tank. I can still rack up a ton of medals, damage, and a decent amount of protection as well using taunts. Then when you get the ball in huttball its not that hard to switch from shii cho to soresu form. Also I can win 1 v 1's versus range classes. I can't tell you how many times in a 1v1 where they stealth out or run away because I'm obviously going to win.

I cant speak for sents/marauders/guardians but juggs at least can be competitive even if we are disadvantaged.

Sorry to all you people who feel skill is a magic knome that breathes on you alone, but is really a healer who hasn't picked a soul target. The sith marauder is under powered greatly due to craptastic cc 1 cc for 3s with 50s cd 1 bubble that does not catch all with a big cd medium 'squishy' armor and dps geared toward pve not pvp meaning average burst dmg plus just being melee amongst range dps is hard enough I leveled this class to 45 and didn't notice how I actually got lucky in pvp via op groups taking the attention away from me or having surplus healers. The sith inquisitor is definitely the way to go in melee pvp, but bh and agents are unfortunately the best way to be effective. This is the truth despite the amazingly detailed intellectually scientifically based arguements of l2p, become skilled, and despite oh just play what you enjoy the game is perfectly balanced because we know every mmo is balanced perfectly. If you're in to the reality of the pvp scene do not roll a sith warrior or any of it's subs. No I probably won't start a new class because I don't have the time to level again, I just hope to get this one fixed by not pretending it's working in pvp at least.

(28th Lv Sniper): There's a reason that we shoot the guy with the big flaming sword, who happens to be coming toward us with an attitude. Because if they do manage to close range, it's gonna hurt.

In fact, if you happen to be in my view and wielding a big flaming sword. It will likely kick you up the target priority list.

I can only speak for myself when I say that I think things are balanced. Because when I am killed, it is usually by melee or exaustion.

Illum - my commnando >>>>>>>my sentinel.

Suicidal for melee because of so many Imps, you have no chance to do damage before you instantly die. With commando it's far more easier to do damage and kill someone and run away from danger.

WZ - depends. If you have a healer I like both, if there is none, I prefer range simply because I can do DPS more frequently and escape from danger easier.

Still playing both though, hoping they give a bone to JK/SW.

Althoholic reporting in and i want to talk about my problems.

Melee have a hard time keeping on the target in many situations.

Nukes come from far away and plenty of range classes makes this even worse.

I love the marauder class and did farm to rank 30 valor, so i did quite some warzone's.

But now i notice how hard it is to get a few medals and support your team.

Melee NEED support and dispels and heals to get even close a good range class.

Ive died so many times with my marauder and i always got that freedom on cooldown and all my defensive stuff need to be used before i reach my target or i died again.

Its frustrating playing melee most of the time and many people see that and reroll range wich makes it even worse and worse and worse.

2 to 4 merc on oposing team in huttbal = pure frustration.

Ops closing on stealthed

Assasin closing in stealthed

Marauder closing in BOOM headshotted -_-

Most played range classes are i think

Sorcerer

merc's

Sniper

I just run LOS when is see them, but as a melee i should at least get a fair chanse with medium armor.

But you wont get a fair chance as this aint a 1on1 fight, its 7 range versus 3 melee.

And it will get worse in the weeks to come as every1 seems to roll merc's and sorc's.

Dunno what can fix this is there needs to be balance, but its bad on the lower levels and people just give up and reroll now before the pain and frustration get bigger.